Its that time again for me, my 2 years is soon to be up and my Pearl's trackball is hanging on for dear life.

I have been looking into either a Storm or an iPhone, and it has boiled down into this:

Which phone has better average battery life?

This is important to me because I can be away from a charger for 20 hours at a time, usually in constant use of the phone (via txting, phone calls, e-mails). My Pearl, somehow, has been able to withstand this abuse without the need to buy an extended battery and I was wondering if the Storm could do the same with the huge touchscreen.

So Storm crew, whats your average battery life?
    01-22-09 12:03 AM
    Its that time again for me, my 2 years is soon to be up and my Pearl's trackball is hanging on for dear life.

I have been looking into either a Storm or an iPhone, and it has boiled down into this:

Which phone has better average battery life?

This is important to me because I can be away from a charger for 20 hours at a time, usually in constant use of the phone (via txting, phone calls, e-mails). My Pearl, somehow, has been able to withstand this abuse without the need to buy an extended battery and I was wondering if the Storm could do the same with the huge touchscreen.

So Storm crew, whats your average battery life?
    easily the storm; not to mention you can buy multiple/longer lasting batteries.
    01-22-09 12:05 AM
    You don't need a extended battery the storm OEM battery is superb. Be sure to use a case with a magnet and you are golden!
    01-22-09 12:47 AM
    Storms battery life has been acceptable for me. 48+ hours with moderate use with a few 3rd party apps running.
    01-22-09 12:50 AM
    Wow... how are you guys getting so much battery life? I fully charge mine at 7am and i used it to go on the internet and by the time i got home 530pm the battery was on low. (This was yesterday)
    01-22-09 12:59 AM
    The storm battery life sucks, i have 2 batteries, its the only way I can make it thru the day with HEAVY usage.

I dont know about the iphone thou
    01-22-09 01:17 AM
    I have no iphone experience, but my 1 month old storm is dead by the end of the workday with light use. At first it would last almost 2 days on a charge with moderate use, but now I go to work with a full charge, text a couple times while on break and a little internet browsing, maybe an hour total usage and when I head home the battery is in the red. When it gets below 25% I can't even use the browser or Weatherbug. Many battery life complaints on this site, now I know why. Going to try calling for a replacement battery but not holding my breath.

So.. can anyone tell me... If I got the phone from Amazon.com do I go to them for help, to Verizon, or to BlackBerry? Don't make me dig out my documentation to find out!
    01-22-09 02:14 AM
    My battery lasts long too on the Storm with a bunch of apps! If this battery gives out I have another that they let me keep with the replacement Storm (and all acessories)!

Midnight: I would first try verizon at *611 on your phone then technical support option. I know when you battery goes into the low battery stage your phone's radio/reception is unusable.
    Last edited by httrdd; 01-22-09 at 03:17 AM.
    01-22-09 02:20 AM
    I'm on my second Storm now and both of them make it through a full day's work - but not more. I have to recharge every night, even with moderate usage.

I guess that's the price we're paying for 7.2mbits downstream on our UMTS networks...
    01-22-09 03:15 AM
    i charge my phone daily but lately.. its been better after removing some bad apps like vz navi and word mole and app center
    01-22-09 03:36 AM
    Hi there:
    Choose any latest device you like and try IM+ All-in-One Mobile Messenger wish a new IM Push feature. It allows you to send and receive IMs as emails and save precious battery life!
    01-22-09 04:16 AM
    Up to 36 hours. Always have after the second charge. Medium use. With Seido 1600mAh battery 36+ hours.
    01-22-09 06:18 AM
    Is there even a replacement "Extended" battery for the storm? I have to charge my storm every night.
    01-22-09 07:10 AM
    Seiko has the 1600 Ultrafied just mentioned and a 2600 I think.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 07:12 AM
    SHAPE that sounds interesting but its like 50 bucks. Too expensive!

01-22-09 07:15 AM
    And aren't those batteries super sized? I don't want to have to get a new back cover for my phone too.
    01-22-09 07:17 AM
    Just the 2600 the 1600 is normal sized.

01-22-09 07:19 AM
    And aren't those batteries super sized? I don't want to have to get a new back cover for my phone too.
    The 1600mAH fits with the stock battery cover, while 2600 doesn't. The 1600mAH is rated for 15% longer.
    01-22-09 07:20 AM
    Would 15% really make that much of a difference?
    01-22-09 07:21 AM
    Would 15% really make that much of a difference?
    Yes; about +15% difference...
    Last edited by keeena; 01-22-09 at 09:12 AM.
    01-22-09 09:10 AM
    With update .86 my battery life doubled. So if any of you using .75 getting heavy battery usage upgrade to the leaked OS or wait till BB realeases it officially but IT WILL GET BETTER!
    01-22-09 09:21 AM
    1 1/2 - 2 days. That's with about 1-3 hrs of music, 1-2 hrs of talk time, 4 email accounts, light web browsing (too busy working to web surf), and depending on my gf's mood / location 20-30 sms msgs.

Day 1 of real use, my battery barely lasted 8 hrs. I discharged the battery completely and gave it an overnight charge. Battery life steadily improved from then. Screen brightness 100%, Bluetooth / GPS always on, sim card removed and connectivit set to 1XEV only. I don't use a sleep holster and I never turn off the phone (just bedside mode at night)
    01-22-09 09:26 AM
    I can go a few days with light to moderate usage. I have set the backlight down to 30% and have a case with a magnet. I have also seen the battery life go up with .86 and hoping that it will improve even more with .90
    01-22-09 09:40 AM
    I get 36 - 48 hours with moderate usage and just over 24 with quite heavy use.

It seems the secret is to virtually discharge the battery (down to the red zone) and charge it up for 12 - 16 hours, a couple of times. I have my screen down to 50% brightness (not that you'd notice much difference) and GPS switched off.

When I first got my Storm I nearly sent it back during the first few days coz the battery life really sucked. But after a couple of tweaks it's more than perfectly acceptable now.
    01-22-09 09:49 AM
    Thanks for all of the input! I'm going to head over to tiPb and see how their battery life is.

01-22-09 09:57 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD