Love the kid comments, especially when I probably make more money than both your parents... combined.

Keep em coming, though. Its a pretty accepted fact that 8330 > Storm.

But I'd be mad too if I wasted money on that crap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Not only do you flex your internet muscles, you had to flex your internet e-peen. Good job you have money, and you are talking **** on the internet. You win. I am sorry.
    05-21-09 12:25 AM
    Love the kid comments, especially when I probably make more money than both your parents... combined.

Keep em coming, though. Its a pretty accepted fact that 8330 > Storm.

But I'd be mad too if I wasted money on that crap.

hmmm one of my parents is dead... I think that helps your odds a bit!! Did I miss where anyone ASKED how much you make... or even cared? Jeez... give a lil man a big phone and all of a sudden he is a god

correction...

a rich god
    05-21-09 12:38 AM
    I have to contribute too

1x = activate your phone!!
    and yes:
    3G (3rd Generation) is the same as EV-DO (Evolution Data Optimization)... doesn't matter what the phone displays... either way will carry the same speeds
    Will a *228 fix that? I just turn off all my connections and turn them back on again and it seems to establish 1XEV again. Like I said, it only happens (so far) after I've been tethered.

05-21-09 12:40 AM
    Will a *228 fix that? I just turn off all my connections and turn them back on again and it seems to establish 1XEV again. Like I said, it only happens (so far) after I've been tethered.

both methods would, in essence, accomplish the same thing. is your phone set to Global or 1XEV? maybe changing that setting would help? shot in the dark... but can't hurt to try.
    05-21-09 12:45 AM
    1XEV... I think it is just an OS issue, honestly. Never had it happen until I left .75 in the dust.

05-21-09 12:47 AM
    and at the same time... nothing more than a small inconvenience. =) I could think of worse things to have happen, that's for sure
    05-21-09 12:51 AM
    Oh for sure... If that's my only problem them I'm sittin pretty!

05-21-09 12:52 AM
    I went from 113 to 132 and got a random display issue where - ONLY in portrait mode - the screen would display my media bar. the icons underneath, which couldn't be seen, still worked though. Flip to landscape and viola! problem gone. Flip back to portrait mode and there it was again. No biggy, just annoying. batt pull or quickpull fixed it... for a few days at a time at least.
    I guess lets just see how 148 handles?
    05-21-09 12:57 AM
    Rocking it now. So far so good, but my problems with my second lyricidal install didn't pop up for at least week. I love the feel of it... Just need to shrink and install again.

05-21-09 12:59 AM
    only thing I don't like is that the latency between position flips seems to be almost double what it was on the last few OS's... everything else seems to be working fine though.
    05-21-09 01:03 AM
    If your Storm is topping around 500kbps, that's only .5mbps, not 5mbps...

If your Storm is pulling 5 megs... That's one of those holy sh*t moments.

for pc:
    Download Speed: 4101 kbps (512.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 697 kbps (87.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

my Storm: (445.6 kb/sec transfer rate) download
    (245.3 kb/sec transfer rate) upload

the larger number for pc is kilobytes...smaller numbers in parentheses are kilobits

One test on my storm was as much as 1308 kb/sec transfer rate download which i have posted on these forums using speedtest from xtreme labs.
    Last edited by elad1; 05-21-09 at 02:24 AM.
    05-21-09 02:17 AM
    I'll bite... Can you explain the difference between kilobit and kilobyte? I was under the impression they were the same except for pronunciation.

05-21-09 08:43 AM
    I'll bite... Can you explain the difference between kilobit and kilobyte? I was under the impression they were the same except for pronunciation.

A byte is 8 bits... so divide kilobits per second by 8 to get kilobytes per second.
    and reverse that... multiply kilobytes times 8 to get kilobits.
    05-21-09 09:16 AM
    Interesting... When companies quote speeds such as 3mbps, are they referring to bits or bytes?

05-21-09 10:00 AM
    Interesting... When companies quote speeds such as 3mbps, are they referring to bits or bytes?

key language is "speeds up to 3mbp". Your mileage may very.
    Last edited by citi; 05-21-09 at 12:39 PM.
    05-21-09 11:39 AM
    Elad: you're confusing your terms. The smaller numbers in parenthesis for your pc are bytes per second but for your storm it's bits per second. Your numbers show that you have roughly ten times the speed on your pc vs your storm.

Philip: the convention is lower b for bits and capital B for bytes. So if the line you cited follows convention it's bits per second. Many ISPs advertise in bits per second because it makes the numbers seem larger

05-21-09 12:15 PM
    A byte is 8 bits... so divide kilobits per second by 8 to get kilobytes per second.
    and reverse that... multiply kilobytes times 8 to get kilobits.
    Did you forget the Start and Stop bits? A factor of *10 is a good rule of thumb, and easy calculation. It can still be a bit (sorry) inaccurate because of transmission overheads and dropped packets which count in the bits handled but not in the final Bytes received.
    05-21-09 03:29 PM
    Did you forget the Start and Stop bits? A factor of *10 is a good rule of thumb, and easy calculation. It can still be a bit (sorry) inaccurate because of transmission overheads and dropped packets which count in the bits handled but not in the final Bytes received.
    Well sure, you could throw in parity bits as well for streamed communication data, but most GUIs/systems use the 8 bit to 1 byte conversion to match storage conventions.

Another issue with measuring speed using web pages or online programs is whether or not the data is proxied by RIM's servers. Many web-based counters don't work well on Browser or Opera because of this, so don't believe all the numbers you see.
    Last edited by buxleyp; 05-21-09 at 08:14 PM.
    05-21-09 08:12 PM
    Y

I disagree .....cdma is Verizon s version of 3G ...when you are overseas it runs on GSM.....
    As far as speeds I've. Been getting 450 to 500 kbps which is almost 5 maps whis is also the speed of
    My cable connection at home.

Your thinking of 1XEVDO or 1XEV. Those are 3G. I was talking about 1X with no EV at the end. Your phone may display it as 1XRTT.
    05-21-09 08:35 PM
    1EV is VZW's 3g, so if that is what you are seeing then you are on the 3g
    But as it was stated above, it is Verizon's 3G voice, not data correct? So the Storm is not a 3G phone for data programs such as the internet?
    05-21-09 09:52 PM
    But as it was stated above, it is Verizon's 3G voice, not data correct? So the Storm is not a 3G phone for data programs such as the internet?
    That statement was incorrect. 1X-EVDO rev A is third generation voice and data.
    05-21-09 10:37 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD