Greetings:

I am heading to China for 10 days and don't really want to pay Verizon's $1.99/min rate. I called their tech support number yesterday and managed to get my phone unlocked. I will be in Beijing and Shanghai.

My questions are these:

1. Recommendations for picking up a SIM card in China?
    2. Recommendations against any particular Chinese carrier?
    3. Will I still be able to access any of my stuff (email, google talk, etc.) or will I be limited to phone/SMS?
    4. Anything else anyone feels is pertinent would certainly be appreciated.
    02-18-09 08:26 PM
    Not sure how to answer your question. Or 5 of the same questions post 5 different times in 5 different threads lol

sarcasm
    02-18-09 08:30 PM
    D'oh!!!

My apologies for the multiple posts. I kept getting error messages and thought the message was not reaching the forum. Hopefully a mod can delete the extras...
    02-18-09 08:35 PM
    D'oh!!!

My apologies for the multiple posts. I kept getting error messages and thought the message was not reaching the forum. Hopefully a mod can delete the extras...
    No problem buddy. Looks like the Mods took care of that. I hope someone answers your questions for ya. And by the way..........Welcome to Crackberry! Your NEW addiction. And when I say Addiction, I mean looking at this site once every 5 minutes for information lol. Welcome
    02-18-09 08:44 PM
    I've been to China many times and I bought a phone from China Mobile instead of dealing with Verizon. You can buy a SIM card from them, too, which is probably best. You'll see a lot of places offer SIM cards but some stores are more trustworthy than others. There's usually a kiosk in the airports that sell them, too, but you'll pay airport prices, just like in the US. I bought a Sony phone (including data cable) and a SIM card with 600 minutes for around $40. That was a couple of years ago so I don't know what the prices are now (they've been having some serious inflation in parts of their economy).

What you'll be able to access depends on if you buy a SIM card with a data plan and whether or not the Chinese government is blocking that particular site on that day. I wouldn't count on getting to anything on Google's site--China blocks them regularly and it was always hit or miss whether I could get even to the Google home page. I had fairly good luck getting to what I needed to on a PC (except for google).

Have fun in Beijing and try to get out of the central business district and into the hutongs (neighborhoods). A hutong tour is a must-do to see a rapidly disappearing (and not necessarily desirable) way of life. And, if you have the time and want a good cup of coffee and pastry, stop by the Sequoia Cafe at 44 Guanghua Lu (down the street from the American embassy) and tell Frank that Tim from Chicago says "Hi."
    02-18-09 08:51 PM
    Thanks! Great feedback. I am planning to ask our translator to help me buy a SIM card. I was concerned about being able to use my storm overseas, but it sounds like it will work out just fine. As an added bonus, I discovered that the various outlet adapters I might need were included in the original packaging.
    03-02-09 08:09 PM
    I wound up going with a company called Panda Phone. They delivered a SIM card to my hotel and it was waiting there for me upon arrival. The BB Storm worked like a charm all during the trip - Beijing and Shanghai.
    06-02-09 09:10 PM
    I have been using phones in China for years, all of them on unlocked motorola's , none with data. Always used China Mobile, good results and inexpensive. Then I lost my sim card, used the CDMA on my old moto from VZW, worked fine not as low cost as China Mobile. Next got my storm, tried it once with China mobile and was eaten alive because of data. Now, I just use it with VZW data is included, no unlocked issues to deal with . The sim card comes with your phone for one thing and most of the country is on CDMA so you don't even need one. Hope this helps.
    06-02-09 10:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD