i love my storm and i love bberry! i do not post on this site much,(or any for that matter, I am the cursed lurker) but this has really pissed me off, and im sure im not the only one!!!... I spent alot of money on my TWO storms and waited along time for them because like everyone i wanted the "coolest" new bberry. Wtf, i took the gliches n stride, the resets, the screen w/dust, and the memory leak, all w smiles cause i do really like the phone and its poteintal, but to have waited, and delt w/ all of this w/ no firmware update, (yet which is fine, i can deal w the small problems), but to be told ahh just wait and go buy the new one with the better software/firmware and whatever else it is going to have, and be looked over really is SH&^^y!!!... We all love our phone's (and mabey this should b in the rants) but how can RIM and (verizion) and other distributors look over the people that have spent good money and patients on there phones witch they like and keep, and n less than a years time all ready have a possible sequal, while we have waited this long to have our problems resoved they neglect us consumers and developed a new phone like the first!!!... we who have the storm, and like i, who purchsed the storm when it first came out were the dedicaed ones who were willing to try a new product and service and give them our hard earned money and time! But i guess this is how it will go!!!... i love my storm i love blackberry and verision, and verizion has the best service in my area(if not the country) so i will save again for the same phone i have, but updated and better, and again sucome to the will of marketing, my needs and desires and probably buy the storm2 after reading the first good reviews of it!!!...
    05-14-09 09:41 PM
    Did you really think the storm was the last new phone RIM was going to make?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-09 09:45 PM
    im sorry but you need to learn how to spell, i would've taken your post more seriously if you had.......
    05-14-09 09:46 PM
    paragraphs are better than giant walls of text.
    05-14-09 09:47 PM
    Devices to actually evolve... even the "evil" iPhone (it seems some think it is, I personally think it is just a phone for a different audience) has evolved a great deal since it's first incarnation. It looks like a improvement, probably nothing revolutionary over the Storm, my early impressions would compare it such as... Storm 2 is to Storm as Windows 7 is to Vista. I guess this only makes sense to those who are using the Windows 7 RC of course...
    05-14-09 09:49 PM
    when you buy a phone you should expect to see a new version of it coming out every 1-2 years....
    05-14-09 09:50 PM
    I get it...i would have loved for this phone to have gotten updated firmware that would make it all that i thought it would be...
    05-14-09 09:52 PM
    i stopped reading after 2 lines of the garbage.

anyway, like stated, new models come out almost every year. Big deal that is the world you live in
    05-14-09 09:54 PM
    I hate trying to spend patients. They get so angry with me!
    05-14-09 09:56 PM
    It is kind of depressing, but don't forget that storm 2 will probably take a bit longer to come out... and i am pretty sure you'll be able to update your storm to what ever storm 2 has.
    05-14-09 09:58 PM
    its not the new phone that bothers me il spend the money on it, just like i did the first storm i like the idea of it!!!... Being told for 6+mo.that there is going to be a firmware release that will smooth things out, then coming here and seeing that there is going to be a new phone, f&^k i would have rather heard that from the begining, ur going to buy this but in 6mo. it going to be oboslite, so just hand over the cash and deal!!!... As far as spelling this is is a forum on cell phones not a english class! get over it!
    05-14-09 10:02 PM
    its not the new phone that bothers me il spend the money on it, just like i did the first storm i like the idea of it!!!... Being told for 6+mo.that there is going to be a firmware release that will smooth things out, then coming here and seeing that there is going to be a new phone, f&^k i would have rather heard that from the begining, ur going to buy this but in 6mo. it going to be oboslite, so just hand over the cash and deal!!!... As far as spelling this is is a forum on cell phones not a english class! get over it!
    Did you honestly think that there would not be a updated new version of the Storm? It is the small price to pay for being an early adopter. The Storm will not be obsolete, just outdated in terms of technology, just like the Pearl, Curve, WE, etc. The Storm will still be supported far after the Storm 2 is released.
    05-14-09 10:42 PM
    were you this passionate when the next model year of your vehicle came out in the same fiscal year you purchased it?

Or how about after 6 months you purchased your PC and you looked at the BestBuy ad and realized your PC was now arguably obsolete??

Have you ever heard of Moore's law?? it seems applicable with phones these days...

If you upgrade to the latest OS you will find a lot of your problems disappear. I personally don't have any issues with my Storm and I might pull the battery once a week.

just a few thoughts!
    05-14-09 10:51 PM
    were you this passionate when the next model year of your vehicle came out in the same fiscal year you purchased it?

Or how about after 6 months you purchased your PC and you looked at the BestBuy ad and realized your PC was now arguably obsolete??

Have you ever heard of Moore's law?? it seems applicable with phones these days...

If you upgrade to the latest OS you will find a lot of your problems disappear. I personally don't have any issues with my Storm and I might pull the battery once a week.

just a few thoughts!
    I was right about to add this but you beat me to it! Well said!
    05-14-09 10:53 PM
    Did you honestly think that there would not be a updated new version of the Storm? It is the small price to pay for being an early adopter. The Storm will not be obsolete, just outdated in terms of technology, just like the Pearl, Curve, WE, etc. The Storm will still be supported far after the Storm 2 is released.
    Supported but not updated lol

I think the issue people are having is not that the Storm 2 is coming out but the fact that the Storm 1 has been missing much needed updates to get it to work properly, so RIM coming out with a new one might seem to some like RIM's Answer is: "Look, here is the fix to all your problems, now give some money"
    05-14-09 10:57 PM
    Well here is the deal - it would be MUCH cheaper and easier for RIM to enhance the OS of the Storm 1 and send it to everyone than to spend all this time creating a new device complete with new marketing and all that stuff. I'm thinking we have two options at play here as to why it came out so early - we knew a successor would come, but not this early:

1) The original Storm cannot be improved enough on firmware updates alone.

2) I think more likely -- this is just a cosmetic upgrade with perhaps a better feature or two inside (like WiFi, or 256MB of App Memory combined with better battery management). Remember this means you'd only start around 160MB of app space. Huge by what we see today, but not 256!!!

I think it's very unlikely that RIM/Verizon release this thing in the current year. I think it would go to other carriers first as a GSM Storm. All devices will be on 5.0.X, and this Storm will have a few features that make it more attractive but not enough to completely upgrade or switch carriers.

In the end, Storm owners shouldn't feel TOO screwed (despite my first post in this thread) because apps and data plans are what are driving the consumer smartphone market these days. It may take months but you will get a Storm 1, Storm 2, 9630, etc. all with stable OS's and memory to run apps (yes, even the 9530).

So what comes after the OS is stable? What increased functionality are you looking for once the basic bugs are locked down? The answer is apps, and until the AppWorld is improved it doesn't matter if you're on the Storm 1 or Storm 2, the iPhone will still be the most popular device out there.

Ask yourself - if your accelerometer worked tomorrow, if your MMS forwarding would work tomorrow, if *228 worked tomorrow - yes, you would be happy, but what about next month? Without new apps you aren't really gaining that much.
    05-14-09 11:02 PM
    Oops, wrong thread, LOL.
    05-14-09 11:04 PM
    The 1st edition of the Storm was rushed and had obvious flaws that were overlooked. Apart from the OS problems that can be fixed over time for ANY phone, there are some hardware issues that the first storm had that were ignored.

These phones were given to us and the only way they are acceptable is by doing things that only Macgyver would think of. Over time, they become worse and worse. The 30 day guarantee was only enough to help those who do not accept such imperfections as if they can try and get used to them. In my case, I put cards behind the battery and it helped to a certain extent. But the screen now has a horrible click beyond what any card can alleviate.

Quite honestly, there are some flaws that I think RIM turned a blind-eye towards to push out a phone that they knew would sell. Those who stuck it out in hopes that an OS upgrade would fix problems that are probably mostly due to hardware issues are screwed. Now, RIM is putting out a second version. Will it fix all the issues that current storm owners have?

It seems like to me that RIM acted like a car company would by putting out a car they know has issues with its engine, transmission, and suspension. When car companies have enough failures with their product, they have to put out a recall and fix those problems. The Storm 2 could very well be the fix to our problems, but it will not fix those who have the original phone. The fix will be for those have enough money to buy a phone at retail prices without a discount for a new contract.

Bait-and-Switch. Illegal.
    05-14-09 11:17 PM
    The 1st edition of the Storm was rushed and had obvious flaws that were overlooked. Apart from the OS problems that can be fixed over time for ANY phone, there are some hardware issues that the first storm had that were ignored.

These phones were given to us and the only way they are acceptable is by doing things that only Macgyver would think of. Over time, they become worse and worse. The 30 day guarantee was only enough to help those who do not accept such imperfections as if they can try and get used to them. In my case, I put cards behind the battery and it helped to a certain extent. But the screen now has a horrible click beyond what any card can alleviate.

Quite honestly, there are some flaws that I think RIM turned a blind-eye towards to push out a phone that they knew would sell. Those who stuck it out in hopes that an OS upgrade would fix problems that are probably mostly due to hardware issues are screwed. Now, RIM is putting out a second version. Will it fix all the issues that current storm owners have?

It seems like to me that RIM acted like a car company would by putting out a car they know has issues with its engine, transmission, and suspension. When car companies have enough failures with their product, they have to put out a recall and fix those problems. The Storm 2 could very well be the fix to our problems, but it will not fix those who have the original phone. The fix will be for those have enough money to buy a phone at retail prices without a discount for a new contract.

Bait-and-Switch. Illegal.
    I'm not sure about the hardware being rushed, but the software definitely was. When creating this thing in February, March, April....I think the hardware was well set beforehand and they just assumed the software dev. team would make a decent OS in a few months to tide people over until 5.0.

Things have proven more difficult

But I think it is more the fault of rushed OS testing than actually rushing the hardware of the phone (except for all those QC defects =P)

You have to wonder about RIM's testing process. They obviously didn't catch a lot in the initial testing of the Storm and even in these recent betas sent to VZW they have been lacking some pretty key issues.
    05-14-09 11:25 PM
    You are joking? you think its a bait and switch? haha

There are some storms with flaws but most are just fine. Mine has no hardware flaws to speak of. No MacGyver tricks needed.
    05-14-09 11:27 PM
    You are joking? you think its a bait and switch? haha

There are some storms with flaws but most are just fine. Mine has no hardware flaws to speak of. No MacGyver tricks needed.
    Weird. Maybe you have found a perfect storm, but I know for certain that your premise of "Some storms with flaws" needs to be "most storms with flaws". The statistics of people on Crackberry with problems vs those that dont have problems is lopsided. I hardly call putting cards behind the battery as "no problems." Yet, some people are happy with their phones like that. I on the other hand, have a phone that is becoming worse and worse over time.

Quite honestly, I do not have the money to pay for an insurance claim, nor do I have the money to buy the phone that I truly believe will have fixed hardware issues. IF the Storm 2 has the same problems with the click screen, then I will stand corrected and i will just go to the Bold. The problems I have had, and so many other people have had, are unacceptable.

Another product that someone screwed up was Sony OE, with their release of Star Wars Galaxies: Trials of Obiwan. This screwed up the game with their release of a structural update to the game code. The problem was that SOE knew that the game update was to be secretly AFTER the release of Trials of Obiwan. Thus, those who were excited for the game expansion were quickly screwed over with the game update that broke the game. After some horrible first reviews, SOE promised game updates to fix the game. They never came. Almost 4 years later, they never came. Months after the release of the expansion, there were rumors of lawsuits for SOE's Bait-and-Switch. SOE gave back money to those were upset over the release.

I see RIM as doing something similar. They (and we) hyped up the release of this phone. It was to be a new hardware idea (click screen). We anticipated the release of the phone justly; it sold like crazy and the click screen proved to be a great idea. The problem was the software itself was flawed on top of a hardware issue that gets worse over time. Those who stuck it out past the 30 days were foolish to think that turning screws or cards behind the battery were acceptable for the long term. In return, RIM puts out a new Storm, and those who not only have the software issue, but the hardware issue are left out to dry.

The early adopter argument is flawed. It implies that we got what we asked for due to our overzealous purchasing of the phone. Those who did not buy it or have enough money to not care about the cost of a new phone are perfectly fine and can laugh at those who did buy it earlier. It does nothing to refute the original argument that there are inherent flaws to the phone's hardware and software that were ignored before and after the release, and all time, effort, and resources went to creating a new phone.
    05-14-09 11:58 PM
    Weird. Maybe you have found a perfect storm, but I know for certain that your premise of "Some storms with flaws" needs to be "most storms with flaws". The statistics of people on Crackberry with problems vs those that dont have problems is lopsided.
    Hmm. I think the act of holding up Crackberry (and any other blog based townhall forum) as an example of hard core statistical evidence is flawed in and of itself.

I think it's fair to say that there were significant numbers of Storms that had hardware issues. But unless you are an insider with customer service (with access to the number of returned phones and can compare it the total number of Storms on the street) @ RIM, Verizon or Best Buy, then you can't say with any certainty that "most storms have flaws."

Sure, this (Crackbery) is a wonderful medium to compare notes and experiences, but there is something very tangible called the vocal minority. People who have had the "perfect Storm" as you put it are clearly less likely to post about it. People (like me) who haven't had the hardware issues you have had aren't going to complain about using cards in back of the battery and what not. They'll sign on looking for accessories or apps or ringtons or what have you. People who have had nothing but frustration with their Storm (like you) will post over and over again about each frustrating issue (and justifiably so). Similarly, most people don't call customer service to report GOOD experiences. That population of people has a huge selection bias tilted toward those who have are irked by something. My point is basing how many Storms are flawed and not flawed and coming up with a ratio using Crackberry
    posts may not be the most scientific means of doing so.

But back to the prevailing issue...i.e. as a Storm 1 owner do I feel duped because a Storm 2 is on the horizon? Heck no. First of all, it's the nature of buying tech..whether it be smartphones, cell phones, PC's, digital cameras, etc. Tech becomes obsolete pretty fast. One week you're drooling over the latest, greatest gadget. Next week, you find out it's obsolete because the next gadget that just came out has better, faster tech behind it. It's just the nature of the beast. Take a gander at the I-phone. Then look at the I-phone 3G. See any similarities?

Was the Storm rushed to market? Probably, but geez we're all grown-ups here. Yes, I was a bit frustrated with the touch screen and the accelerometer drove me crazy for awhile. And the lack of apps @ launch had me scratching my head. But at the end of the day, I knew I had 30 days to return it, and buy something else. I stuck it out. And, personally, I'm glad I did. It's a beautiful phone backed by Verizon's (IMO) superior service. And a lot of the bugs for me were worked out after the OTA update. If your level of frustration with the Storm 1 was so high, then it should have been returned by the end of trial period. Money back. No questions asked.

I don't think it's fair to cry foul simply because of an advancement in technology.
    05-15-09 01:19 AM
    Leave zachpeters alone. He is still rockin Windows 3.1, a 1.3MP camera, a 1987 Honda, and an Atari.
    05-18-09 10:41 AM
    the overly vocal and upset minority does not represent the storm owning community. keep that in mind when you read "complaints" about "issues" with the phones...

PEB CAK
    05-18-09 01:16 PM
    patches the majority of Storm owners are running .75

Couple that with the hardware problems. I'm telling you contrary to what you believe the Storm is a big headache for VZW on many fronts.

Why do you think they dropped surepress? Because it was so well received by the public? because it was such a great technology? They dumped it quick. Didn't even last 6 months : )

I heard over a month ago that that's what was happening. Back then it was a rumor but it turned out to be correct.

Reason? High number of screen failures.

Bunk equipment.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 01:55 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD