So, a few months ago I traded a guy on here my Droid for a Storm2. I activated the Storm2 and less than a week later I was driving along and was using my phone off and on and when I went to pick the phone up out of the cup holder the LCD had a hairline crack leaving half the screen with dead pixels. Needless to say I was on vacation, needed a phone, and so I upgraded another line on my family plan and bought another Storm2 and put insurance on my line 3-4 days later. Now, I was a little nervous about sending in a claim to Verizon for the first Storm2 with the cracked screen so I went to pdasmart.com and shelled out $150 for them to replace the LCD screen. I received the phone 3 weeks later and the screen was super hard to push. In fact, as I was simple trying to USE the phone the clear screen overlay cracked in the upper left corner. I think it is the clear screen because there is a crack but no dead pixels this time.

So, my question is: Would Verizon realize that if I submitted a claim on my insurance that the phone I send into them is the first Storm2 and not the Storm2 currently activated on my account? Would they check the ESN or something or how exactly does it work? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    06-28-10 01:54 PM
    They will check the ESN. What you are talking about is insurance fraud. Be very, very careful ....
    06-28-10 02:27 PM
    Yes, they will definitely check to see if you sent in the correct phone.

Besides that, what you're talking about is called insurance fraud - it's illegal. Don't do it!

Edit:

Mine posted right after pshift's but I'll leave it anyway in the hopes that you truly understand what you're talking about.
    Last edited by nlitenme; 06-28-10 at 02:32 PM.
    06-28-10 02:28 PM
    I don't agree with the fraudulent insurance claim, but I do beleive that VZW was replacing defective screen's with warranty replacement units if they were manufactured before a certain date. May be something you want to look into. but if the company you used got rid of the stickers on the screws, your probably out of luck.
    06-28-10 02:36 PM
    insurance fraud is all the rage these days. I say DO IT!
    06-28-10 03:12 PM
    Do you have insurance through Asurion? They are separate from Verizon. After the screen broke you should have just got the insurance, waited a day or 2 and then filed the claim. They'll ask what day the incident occurred, just say after the date you added the policy. You might still be okay. Just throw it on the ground or something and file a claim. That $150 was a complete waste of $ IMO.
    06-28-10 06:08 PM
    Do you have insurance through Asurion? They are separate from Verizon. After the screen broke you should have just got the insurance, waited a day or 2 and then filed the claim. They'll ask what day the incident occurred, just say after the date you added the policy. You might still be okay. Just throw it on the ground or something and file a claim. That $150 was a complete waste of $ IMO.
    You can not add insurance to a phone after 15 days of purchasing which he did not purchase. He traded. If this could be done, every shady person would be doing this type of fraud
    Last edited by hydroz_23; 06-28-10 at 06:17 PM.
    06-28-10 06:14 PM
    I could be wrong, but I doubt anything said here will sway the OP one way or the other. He's gonna do what he's gonna do!
    06-28-10 06:33 PM
    You can not add insurance to a phone after 15 days of purchasing which he did not purchase. He traded. If this could be done, every shady person would be doing this type of fraud
    Yes you can. I gave my wife one of my old fones, she broke it, and then got a new one through the insurance company. The fone was over a year old.

Although that was a little different. She already had insurance on her previous fone. But IDK, between me and my wife, the human cell fone destroyer, we've filed many insurance claims and never had a problem with any of them. I think one time there was a clean "fone broke need a new one" kind of deal. Is it fraud? Probably by definition. But this is America, a land that was stolen from the natives and built on slave labor. Who cares? It's just a refurbished fone.
    06-28-10 06:36 PM
    She already had insurance on her previous fone
    That is different. It will carry over
    06-28-10 06:39 PM
    I believe the insurance is tied to the phone number, not the phone itself. If you had insurance from the get go, then if you activate a different phone on the same number, that phone is now covered. I have done that myself. You can only make 2 claims within a calendar year under the same phone number.
    06-29-10 10:50 AM
    So would I need to reactivate the phone that is broke so that it shows up on my line to file the claim or what? Because I now have insurance on my line which I added a couple days after I bought the 2nd Storm2
    06-29-10 10:58 AM
    So would I need to reactivate the phone that is broke so that it shows up on my line to file the claim or what? Because I now have insurance on my line which I added a couple days after I bought the 2nd Storm2
    It seems to me like that would work. I'm not 100% sure but if you activate the broken fone and file a claim, IDK of any reason why Asurion would not honor it. Again, we're talking about refurbished fones, not houses or automobiles. A million people will get a free cell fone today from some carrier and another half million will get a refurb. They get $50 out of the deal and another fone to refurbish. They're more of a stickler for lost and stolen fones, requiring police reports and such. But if VZW says you're using x fone, and you send the insurance company x fone, there will be very few, if any questions asked. That's just my experience.
    06-29-10 12:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD