im pretty upset about it..and feel left out in the cold with what i thought was sure to get the os6..now i feel like im in the back of the pack..rim has to know their customers are feeling that way and people are on the verge of jumping ship..hopefully they will show us why blackberry customers will always remain loyal to them and give us the storm 3 or some type of solution for free or with atleast a discounted deal
    08-06-10 07:07 PM
    it's funny how you (storm users) complain about the storm not getting the new OS but yet Storm user said SUREPRESS technoligy was the best. you love the way the screen clicks. bla bla bla..

i said phones like iphone have better touch screen.
    i've always said Surepress sucked! i was right.

don't complain. you chose your poison! Enjoy your storms.
    08-06-10 07:17 PM
    memory ????

9700 latest os 5 is about 130 megabytes
    storm 2 latest os 5 is around 130 megabytes
    9800 leaked os 6 is around 127 megabytes

Why would 9700 get os 6 and not storm 2 not???
    9800 touch + keyboard , would require less memory than storm 2???
    08-06-10 07:56 PM
    The Storm 2 is a phone, not a computer. I liken it more to a game console than a computer. That is, you can't upgrade the CPU, onboard RAM, video controller, etc. All of those things can be upgraded on [most] computers.

The S2 has only some much RAM, that is it, no more. I knew that. I also knew it could not be expanded.

This argument that a year old phone (which is like 5 years for most other technologies) MUST be able to run a current OS is stupid! Get over it!

If this makes you so angry, sell the S2 and get something else already. RIM owes you squat.
    by that argument, a Mac is not a computer. not to mention that you can overclock the processors on some android handsets, a feature previously only found in computers. the lines have seriously been blurred in the last few years, but i (and others) DO feel that a $500 product should be supported by the manufacturer for more than 9 months. i can see that your expectations of a company you are going to continue to support are much lower than mine, but to each their own. does RIM owe me anything? no, but how can they expect to keep customers when they cannot provide a device that is as capable as similarly priced offerings from their competitors?
    08-06-10 09:36 PM
    I already moved on....I now have a Bold....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-10 11:46 PM
    A bold? I mean... Really? Really!?

08-06-10 11:51 PM
    +1 for the 9700. I picked one up right after this crap.

08-07-10 12:34 AM
    Got my first storm in nov of 08, second in Nov of 09 third hopefully will be out this fall. If not, either hang till it does or if no storm 3 move on to another model. I will not leave BB though, I like the touchscreen but will adapt back to a keyboard. I dont think BB is the Devil for not designing their new operating system around old equipment (to many limitations) and technology moves to fast to design currant equipment around what might come up in the future (would be a big waste of money). Chrystal Balls do not all ways produce the right information.
    08-07-10 03:00 AM
    it's funny how you (storm users) complain about the storm not getting the new OS but yet Storm user said SUREPRESS technoligy was the best. you love the way the screen clicks. bla bla bla..

i said phones like iphone have better touch screen.
    i've always said Surepress sucked! i was right.

don't complain. you chose your poison! Enjoy your storms.
    That response makes no sense; what does being upset about not getting the new OS have to do with liking SurePress?
    08-07-10 06:44 AM
    The Storm 2 is a phone, not a computer. I liken it more to a game console than a computer. That is, you can't upgrade the CPU, onboard RAM, video controller, etc. All of those things can be upgraded on [most] computers.

The S2 has only some much RAM, that is it, no more. I knew that. I also knew it could not be expanded.

This argument that a year old phone (which is like 5 years for most other technologies) MUST be able to run a current OS is stupid! Get over it!

If this makes you so angry, sell the S2 and get something else already. RIM owes you squat.
    That thinking is why RIM is only going to see only a 42% renewable rate when existing BB contracts are up. YES I expect to be able to upgrade to new OS on a phone that is less then 1 year old. YES I expect to be able to use new browser, when I have been you the slowest web browser ever made for years.

Rim not only is f**king loyal ,they are behind with specs even on the NEW 9800 torch. Speed test show 1. how incredible slow our existing browser is 2. NEW webkit is slower then Iphone, and Samsung.
    Screen resolution is poor, processor not up to Iphone or other comparable models.

Yes I am a loyal BB user and Yes I feel like I got F**ked by RIM!
    Last edited by Golfpro2; 08-07-10 at 07:49 AM.
    08-07-10 07:41 AM
    A bold? I mean... Really? Really!?

^^^Yep a bold. I liked the s2, but not being able to run Os6 was a kick in the corn flakes..I am a huge fan of the blackberry platform so i upgraded to the 9650. I also have an iphone, but i find myself reaching for my BB more.
    08-07-10 11:45 AM
    I already moved on....I now have a Bold....

+1 I kicked Storm2 to the curb after 5 weeks. I went to Bold, and haven't looked back.
    08-07-10 11:57 AM
    I got my HTC Incredible yesterday... Some good things...some bad things..

Still peed off at VZW and RIM. Still debating on selling the s2..

Is there a possibility that another carrier (foreign to US) will use OS 6 on their S2? Or did RIM just kibosh it totally on the S2 all over..?
    08-07-10 01:22 PM
    That response makes no sense; what does being upset about not getting the new OS have to do with liking SurePress?
    I would agree. Being upset about OS6 is different. I love my surepress. I have nothing but good things about the surepress. I just hate that s2 is not getting OS6.

08-07-10 01:26 PM
    If engineers stopped developing things UNLESS they could be made backwards compatible to last years creations, we'd all still be watching black and white tvs. I would think that everyone here bought their S2 because it did what they wanted it to do...not because of what they hoped it might become one day.

You put my thoughts into words better then I could do.

Here is how I feel. The S2 is almost a year old. I buy a new phone every year. So it doesn't really effect me. But even if it did I would still rather RIM make OS6 the very best OS they could make instead of them trying to sacrifice parts of it so a year old phone can run it. Technology is suppose to move forward.

RIM will never make some people happy. Users complain that the OS and the browser sucks so RIM makes a new OS and a new browser, so now the people get to complain about their nearly year old device not being able to use the new software. Used Storm 2 sells for $150 + everyday. A new device costs $200 dollars on contract so why be so upset over spending $50 to upgrade to a new OS6 ready device? I don't get it. People just love to complain.
    Last edited by Witmen; 08-07-10 at 05:34 PM.
    08-07-10 05:14 PM
    You put my thoughts into words better then I could do.

Here is how I feel. The S2 is almost a year old. I buy a new phone every year. So it doesn't really effect me. But even if it did I would still rather RIM make OS6 the very best OS they could make instead of them trying to sacrifice parts of it so a year old phone can run it. Technology is suppose to move forward.

RIM will never make some people happy. Users complain that the OS and the browser sucks so RIM makes a new OS and a new browser, so now the people get to complain about their nearly year old device not being able to use the new software. Used Storm 2 sells for $150 + everyday. A new device costs $200 dollars on contract so why be so upset over spending $50 to upgrade to a new OS6 ready device? I don't get it. People just love to complain.
    Hey Wit...you did a very good job of saying it yourself!
    08-07-10 05:42 PM
    Yes a new device costs $200 IF you renew your contract with the purchase. The full retail is over $500 for a new BB. You are assuming that everyone is currently due for an upgrade. That means some of storm2 owners will need to stick with it for a while.

You said RIM can't make everyone happy and noone would argue that. They did create a webkit to make people happy, just not storm2 owners. And some people can't afford a new phone every year but the point is you shouldn't have to buy a new phone every year to get a new and improved OS. This isn't a case of people who just want to complain for no reason.

All you need to do is look at other companies to see that upgraded OS are the norm for devices 1 year old.

08-07-10 08:23 PM
    Yes a new device costs $200 IF you renew your contract with the purchase. The full retail is over $500 for a new BB. You are assuming that everyone is currently due for an upgrade. That means some of storm2 owners will need to stick with it for a while.

You said RIM can't make everyone happy and noone would argue that. They did create a webkit to make people happy, just not storm2 owners. And some people can't afford a new phone every year but the point is you shouldn't have to buy a new phone every year to get a new and improved OS. This isn't a case of people who just want to complain for no reason.

All you need to do is look at other companies to see that upgraded OS are the norm for devices 1 year old.

I agree it would be great if the Storm 2 could run OS6. But the Storm 2 was made with only 256 mb, now me personally would much rather OS6 be what OS6 is, instead of RIM making OS6 for devices with only 256 mb. If they had done that how much of an upgrade would it of even been? If that was the case then OS6 would of been a very slight improvement over 5 and people would still not be happy. ( not that people are gonna be happy with os6 the way it is anyway) Also if they had made OS6 work with it then RIM would just continue to make devices with slow processors and low amount of app memory. In my opinion, This is a good sign that maybe RIM has finally figured out to start upping the specs of their devices.

Everyone is eligible for an upgrade after a year. I've spent nearly a year with my S2 and once the year is up I will be getting a new OS6 device. Sure at first glance it seems like it would be awesome if I could have OS6 right now on my S2. But when you really look into what that would mean about OS6 and about the future of RIM, you can see that it's much better to just wait till you are eligible and upgrade. I for one hope RIM can actually start making devices that compete with other phones specs wise. Making Software for year old devices that was years behind the competition when it came out wont make that happen.
    Last edited by Witmen; 08-07-10 at 09:04 PM.
    08-07-10 08:45 PM
    Everyone is eligible for an upgrade after a year. I've spent nearly a year with my S2 and once the year is up I will be getting a new OS6 device. Sure at first glance it seems like it would be awesome if I could have OS6 right now on my S2. But when you really look into what that would mean about OS6 and about the future of RIM, you can see that it's much better to just wait till you are eligible and upgrade. I for one hope RIM can actually start making devices that compete with other phones specs wise. Making Software for year old devices that was years behind the competition when it came out wont make that happen.
    Not everyone is eligible for upgrades yearly... Here in Canada, 3 year contracts are the norm.... Totally sucks for those of us who like having the latest and greatest....
    08-07-10 09:14 PM
    Not everyone is eligible for upgrades yearly... Here in Canada, 3 year contracts are the norm.... Totally sucks for those of us who like having the latest and greatest....
    Sorry I had never heard that before. Ouch, That would drive me nuts. I'm not very good at commitment. I couldn't imagine going 3 years with the same device. I really feel for you and anyone else that is tied to a device for that long
    08-07-10 09:17 PM
    Maybe I'm cynical but WHO CARES. I'm a savvy 9550 user, my wife has one, ours work very well, we're very happy with them, .713 works just fine for the most part.........etc.... I could go on.

For real? Leave BB over this? LOL.....
    08-07-10 10:13 PM
    im pretty upset about it..and feel left out in the cold with what i thought was sure to get the os6..now i feel like im in the back of the pack..rim has to know their customers are feeling that way and people are on the verge of jumping ship..hopefully they will show us why blackberry customers will always remain loyal to them and give us the storm 3 or some type of solution for free or with atleast a discounted deal

C'mon guys lets not be silly, a FREE phone?... That is very unrealistic and something we shouldn't expect. But I agree a compensation in the form of an down scaled OS6 or just the webkit offering is reasonable.
    08-08-10 06:30 AM
    Sorry I had never heard that before. Ouch, That would drive me nuts. I'm not very good at commitment. I couldn't imagine going 3 years with the same device. I really feel for you and anyone else that is tied to a device for that long

Listen Witmen, I'm sure you are a wise guy, therefore I'm sure you know that there are Blackberry users all over the WORLD...with different carrier contracts, therefore not EVERYONE will have the same chance of upgrading yearly. Just for reference, here in the UK, an 18month contract is the norm.
    08-08-10 06:44 AM
    I am eligible for an upgrade but have not decided what to do. While I am fairly content with my S2 and most of the BB experience, RIM does tend to be short sited with their HW capacity.

When other phones were shipping with 512, RIM went to 256; when everyone goes to 1gb, RIM goes to 512m. A little fore site would have meant S2 could get OS6. Now they are going to put on another band aid (S2.5).

Another thing driving me away from RIM is the extra $15/mo I have to pay VZW for BB Enterprise data. My company supports Exchange Active Sync which will work on the $30 data plan.

I am not leaving VZW or wasting an upgrade on a Storm with more ram, so it looks like this is the twilight of my BB user days
    08-08-10 10:27 AM
    I believe that there is no reason RIM couldn't make a V6 light version, or at least a 5.1.0.x version, that will operate on the S2.

I'm gonna take a leap here and say that the reason that the Storm / touch screen version of BB6 is so much bigger than the version being released is the size of the resource files (i.e. graphics) for the GUI. More screen real estate to fill + a more graphical UI on BB6 = 290MB.

So, continuing down the same road, I believe that the V6 core could be married with a slightly modified V5 GUI, add in the webkit, and bada bing. Because the GUI would be somewhat different, some of the new API's for developers to use the V6 GUI would have to be taken out.

This would be an bridge for the existing S2 users, and a good business move for RIM because it wouldn't alienate existing users while giving a "teaser" sample of what full V6 has to offer.

That said, greed will likely win out and RIM will force you to buy new devices to run any form of V6.

I'd love to get my hands on a copy of V6 just to compare java / COD file sizes with V5 to confirm my theory...
    Last edited by TBacker; 08-08-10 at 11:59 AM.
    08-08-10 11:51 AM
271 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD