08-29-10 07:57 PM
271 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I honestly don't know what I'm going to do...I've been playing with a couple of Android phones and there are things I love, but there are things I don't love.

I am irritated that the Storm 2 ended up being so not supported, if that makes sense. Open GL...what are there, 2 games using it? Now that's not RIM's fault directly...but my Storm isn't being taken seriously by developers as a multimedia device so they aren't developing for it.

I'm not that upset about not getting 6.0. I was prepared for that. But I AM upset we can't get the webkit as a stand alone install. Honestly getting just webkit would go a LONG way for me in keeping some loyalty. It would definitely keep me on board til my renewal in July, at which time RIM will have had time to wow me with something else (or not).

Unless something changes about the webkit browser and what we know now (we can't get it), then I believe I'll be moving to Android when the Fascinate launches on Verizon. And I'll just have to deal with some growing pains.
    Thats all i need is a better browser!!! cmon rim hook us up. and the fascinate does look promising, i like blackberry but i will leave.
    08-04-10 10:26 PM
    This is absolute bull. RIM promised us as much in the S2 as any politician out there and I bought it just like the rest of us in this group. I've always touted BlackBerry as a good device, but now, in the wake of RIM basically saying our "new" phone isn't "new enough" I'm starting to re-think my stance. Everyone loves to flame people who post they are switching and when called to the carpet to defend Blackberry the same answers come out. "It's solid." "Great Email." "I don't want some of those other features." "My Blackberry works." Let's face it people, if you own a smartphone in 2010, you want the best. Who goes into the Verizon store and says, let me look at your smart phones from six months ago or later. I want to see the devices that you won't be supporting in a few months. Yeah, I wanna get one of those.

This Storm2 will be my last Blackberry. I'm done with empty promises.

And truth be told, I'm not looking for something for free. I don't want a refresh of my phone for free. I just want support and new software that works on the devices RIM released. It's not like I'm trying to get OS6 on my old 8330. I don't think I'm being unreasonable here.
    08-04-10 10:52 PM
    This is absolute bull. RIM promised us as much in the S2 as any politician out there and I bought it just like the rest of us in this group. I've always touted BlackBerry as a good device, but now, in the wake of RIM basically saying our "new" phone isn't "new enough" I'm starting to re-think my stance. Everyone loves to flame people who post they are switching and when called to the carpet to defend Blackberry the same answers come out. "It's solid." "Great Email." "I don't want some of those other features." "My Blackberry works." Let's face it people, if you own a smartphone in 2010, you want the best. Who goes into the Verizon store and says, let me look at your smart phones from six months ago or later. I want to see the devices that you won't be supporting in a few months. Yeah, I wanna get one of those.

This Storm2 will be my last Blackberry. I'm done with empty promises.

And truth be told, I'm not looking for something for free. I don't want a refresh of my phone for free. I just want support and new software that works on the devices RIM released. It's not like I'm trying to get OS6 on my old 8330. I don't think I'm being unreasonable here.

Preach on Brother!!!

You may want to change your signature to Storm 5.0.X ----> Droid X LOL
    08-05-10 07:10 AM
    Is it possible to call Verizon for them to replace my Storm2 with their Bold 9650? Every time I go to a Verizon store they tell me they can't replace my phone for another but they CAN replace my storm for another storm. Doesn't make sense

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-10 07:14 AM
    Is it possible to call Verizon for them to replace my Storm2 with their Bold 9650? Every time I go to a Verizon store they tell me they can't replace my phone for another but they CAN replace my storm for another storm. Doesn't make sense

Doubtful. Verizon is finicky about that stuff.

Think of it like exchanging software or a video game. You can do same model but not different. You can't take a game back and get a different game. Or better yet you cant take your copy of Windows XP back in and request Windows 7
    08-05-10 07:30 AM
    To be completely honest, I am only putting up with the Storm II until the Iphone comes to Verizon or I decide to get an andriod phone. Email security is not everything....
    08-05-10 08:07 AM
    Doubtful. Verizon is finicky about that stuff.

Think of it like exchanging software or a video game. You can do same model but not different. You can't take a game back and get a different game. Or better yet you cant take your copy of Windows XP back in and request Windows 7
    I hear ya. But since my storm replacements have all been refurbished units, why can't they send me a refurbished bold and I return this non-BB6 capable storm2 back to them..

08-05-10 08:14 AM
    Like most of you I'm a little P****d that there will be no OS 6 for my storm2 as is.
    I'm just gonna laugh when someone figures this out

08-05-10 08:18 AM
    I have seen the future today - it is not spelled "RIM."

I like my Storm 2, but I will not stay with RIM. Why? It is not just because the Storm 2 will not get OS 6, although that is a part. It is because, after RIM just released their "fantastic" new Torch, which is WAY behind the curve in what is being offered now - and the way they have disregarded those of us who have invested our hard earned money in what was supposed to be their "best and most up-to-date" phone for the consumer, it would be insane to remain a customer.

With what has just happened, RIM has revealed, that they are a company on the way to becoming a "once was." This is quite apparent in how their stock has taken a large drop today. RIM needed to get the Torch right, they did not. They also needed, at least, to assure Storm owners that they were not being thrown overboard in RIM's frantic attempt to remain relevant. They did not.

It is now obvious that Android is the op system of the future for (non-Apple) smartphones. RIM will die a lingering death. I will not hang around to be a part of it.
    Last edited by buckhorncamp; 08-05-10 at 08:54 AM.
    08-05-10 08:52 AM
    RIM pissed me off enough to get on craislist and buy an htc incredible. Any of your friends or loved ones looking for an e.o.l. device pm me with offers got tons of extras and the device was being babied for OS 6. Got the droid and never looking back.
    08-05-10 09:09 AM
    Congrats. I'm waiting for my Dx to arrive.

08-05-10 09:13 AM
    Well, myself, I was never thinking I was entitled to anything regarding OS6, would have been nice but meh, whatever. I will no doubt buy another BB in the near future.

Not sure why the OS needs to be stored in the main memory, should be able to utilize the flash memory like a regular OS uses hard drive partitions.

I agree; we were never promised that we'd be getting OS6, and to me it honestly doesn't look awesome enough to be able to justify shelling out full price for a new BB that can run OS6. I just got my NE2 upgrade back in April. I'm happy with my S2 as it is, and will continue to be happy as long as it works well.
    08-05-10 10:39 AM
    The browser is just CRAP, and the phone still lags.

Not to forget 5min reboot time!

RIM dropped the ball on S2 owners - it it looks like S2 owners will just accept RIM's failure and move on to a company that has a TRACK RECORD OF SUCCESS!
    08-05-10 11:00 AM
    Just another RIM job....By RIM. The OS may need work and the phone is not using the best hardware, sound familiar?

It needs a tick faster clockspeed and a larger display with a larger real keyboard. Whats up with trying to stay small? The form factors that placed RIM on the map were larger, go figure.

I guess my storm II will be my last BB, that really sux because I liked BBM and the email system, but that is not enough to justify the big monthly expense of having a smartphone compared to what else I can do with one.
    08-05-10 11:10 AM
    I am going to wait it out, I ordered my S2 the minute it was on VZW.com and now I have been looking at other devices but for now im content with my storm2.

I am anticipating the S3, I have read Salomondrin specs on it and he said that it will have a new os not os6....so Im (hopefully) thinking maybe just maybe the new os for the s3 will be s2 compatible kinda like ios4 is for the other iphones

I hate to mention "the other phone" in my post but im just speaking in terms of os and backwards compatibility.
    08-05-10 11:44 AM
    the date i joined crackberry is the date i bought my s2

this is my first post.

can you imagine? this is my first post and its about how i felt cheated?! that's it?! i wont be having OS6?!!!!

should have done more research. it is my fault that i opted for an s2!
    08-05-10 12:09 PM
    btw, s2 is my FIRST blackberry device! owned it for 2 months then no OS 6??!!!!
    08-05-10 12:13 PM
    just give me ONE GOOD reason why i should stick with my storm 2. just ONE!
    08-05-10 12:34 PM
    Well I'm not staying with blackberry. I don't care about BB6 but what I did want was the webkit browser. And at this point since RIM has said nothing about us storm 2 users about BB6 or a light version with the new browser, I'm not inclined to stay with them at all. I've had 3 BB devices and the storm 2 will be my last. It comes from the point that from the nexus one to the evo and droid x will all get the latest froyo upgrade. But a device less than a year old won't get BB6 because it doesn't have enough memory to handle it. Shouldn't they have thought about that when they were building the storm 2. 9 month old device is already out of date to the point it can't get the latest software. Rim is behind the times and even if BB6 does catch up their Os to android and apple its just too little too late......

08-05-10 01:05 PM
    The browser is just CRAP, and the phone still lags.

Not to forget 5min reboot time!

RIM dropped the ball on S2 owners - it it looks like S2 owners will just accept RIM's failure and move on to a company that has a TRACK RECORD OF SUCCESS!
    Wow! 5 minutes??? I wish I could be so lucky. Mine is 10 or MORE minutes for a reboot. Do you have any idea how embarrassing it is to have your battery die, and have to wait over 10 minutes to call the person back that you were on the phone with, and then try to explain WHY it took 10+ minutes to return the call after rudely dumping it earlier.

My reboots are so long now I'd rather throw the phone on a charger for the 10 minutes then have to reboot it.
    08-05-10 01:08 PM
    OK that's it...I been reading and reading a lot about S2 owners making a lot of valid points about this non sense of us S2 "fools" not getting the OS6 or not even the new browser...2 months with this phone man...TWO MONTHS!

I am not a fan or RIM or anything but next phone will seriously not be a Blackberry...March '11 is either going to be a Droid or with any luck the iPhone if Verizon gets it.

BTW I am not crying or complaining but to see my wife's Eris getting an update the other day and my Storm 2 getting nothing at all...well it sucks for RIM. But business is business.
    08-05-10 03:05 PM
    I should have known something was up. I was an early adaptor of the S2 via Telus. At the time and since, there was no Storm 2 splash or intros, sales programs or anything other than the odd BB commercial in the USA announcing the arrival of the new Storm 2.

Today we find out the BB6 and Webkit will not be offered or considered for us. The phone less than a year old with no upgrade path, wow. I cannot believe BB cannot make it work on the Storm 2. I believe RIM is being very successful in losing touch with its customer base and believe the new Torch is nothing really special over the S2 (check out the spec's) without BB6.

Do not get me wrong, I love my Storm2 and continue to push its value on everyone I know. I am so sold on the touch screen that it can be frustrating when I hold another smart phone that does not support touch. Touch screens are fantastic, did not know how I was able to get anything done without one.

Will I consider my next smart phone to be a BB. Right now, it does not look so good.
    08-05-10 03:13 PM
    I would second this as well! Not only is what happened to the Storm upsetting, but you start to realize how behind RIM is and that they really don't get it. If you look at the Torch 9800, I seriously don't see it stacking up to the competition. I already have a few friends who were hardcore BB users that have jumped ship and moved over to other devices and are much happier that they did. Some stayed with Verzion while a couple have moved over to AT&T for the iPhone 4.
    08-05-10 03:16 PM
    I bought an 8330m June 2009, dumped it in February 2010.
    Got a Hero, running Android 1.5. OS updated to 2.1. Sprint said no to 2.2 but I rooted and am running 2.2. Android 3.0 will be out by end of yr. I doubt 3.0 will run on this and that's fine. My point is in addition to 2.1 & 2.2 there was also a 1.6 OS out there.
    For RIM to say eff you to Storm 2 owners is pretty bad especially when you consider S2 was supposed to compensate for S1 sins.
    Reading crap like this makes me even happier I left the arrogant bastards @ RIM.

Rewarding (buying) bad behavior (RIM) will just get you more of the same.
    My almost year old hero will stand up to Torch pretty well.

That's my .02
    08-05-10 03:45 PM
    This is a disaster. The Torch is such a disappointment. The hardware specs are soooo far behind. It's almost laughable. If Verizon picks up the iphone in January as has been rumored (Verizon Wireless Said to Get Apple IPhone in January (Update3) - Bloomberg.com), RIM is going to see customers leave in droves....I suppose the Storm 3 could be good, but seems unlikely based on past experience (Storm 1 major software issues, Storm 2 major surepress issues, Torch called flagship device and released with yesterday's specs).
    08-05-10 05:09 PM
271 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD