I got the storm1 and the storm2 on day one. The storm2 is a great device, it does ALOT of things better than other phones, but still I like to have the latest and greatest and feel a little let down that OS6 is not available to us. I've played with the X and its like lightning. I guess I'm gonna wait a few weeks and probably switch to an X....Kinda makes me sad.
    08-04-10 01:34 PM
    i have been a very happy BB user for over 3 years, but i am definitely leaving BB the day VZW gets a LTE android phone. RIM never came through on the promises made for the S2 and the fact that we are almost certainly not going to get OS6 is just the straw that broke the camels back for me. whatever happened to all my OpenGL games... i'm pretty sure there are less than 10 available. hooray for wi-fi... except that the OS5 browser isn't capable of rendering any faster than 3G when i am using it. increased RAM... great, but still not enough to run OS6. the list goes on and on. at the end of the day, the S2 is nothing more than a S1 with an improved version of surepress... which it looks like RIM is ditching altogether. none of the other upgrades were enough to matter as they are all having to be improved again on the "S2 refresh" to be able to run OS6. i simply cannot continue to support a company that outdates it's "flagship" CDMA phone in 9 months. i may as well have bought an 8530.

and before you say that all companies outdate their phones that quickly:
    Iphone 3g (released July '08) can run iOS4
    HTC G1 (relased Oct. '08) can run android 2.2

granted, both require 3rd party development and lose a couple of features from the new release, but the fact is that 1.5-2 year old hardware from android and apple CAN run the newest software. why isn't RIM thinking far enough ahead to make this possible with a phone that is less than 1 year old??
    08-04-10 01:40 PM
    So long BlackBerry I'm so tired of being let down and passed over while being told, " Wait its coming", and it never does! I own 3 BB's in my house 2 S2's and I'm taking my business over to Droid, X here I come!!!!! Can't wait to smash those S2's and mail them back to RIM with a big F*$k YOU never again BB cant believe ever believed in you and wasted my money on your phones I dont care if the new S3 can run friggin NASA i will never buy another RIM phone and i think alot of people share that feeling. Thanks for nothing
    Last edited by meno73; 08-04-10 at 04:29 PM.
    08-04-10 01:59 PM
    ah, the pace of technology. it slows for no one. I would have thought you would have already been aware of that immutable fact of life. No??
    Considering I develop tech products.... Hmm, yes... And at the company I work with, we make sure we support our products with firmware upgrades 2-3 years down the line.

And nice job ignoring RIM's competition who does release OS upgrades on 2-3 years old device.
    08-04-10 02:01 PM
    I won't jump from BB until iPhone comes to VZW or an Android update compels me to jump ship. There is nothing about Android that makes me want to jump right now. It is great in many ways, but there is a huge gap in integration and interface consistency. I see that is a goal for the next update, and I will certainly look at it. iOS annoys the crap out of me with notifications, etc. However, I like the phone features and many OS features. That signal thing needs addressed before I would move!

I will wait to see the next gen RIM touch screen device, not the Storm 2.5 or Storm3 or whatever they are pushing it out as. That refresh of the Storm2 won't cut it for me to pay for an upgrade. I want a high res, fast, thin touch screen, preferably without SurePress.
    08-04-10 02:12 PM
    RIM should at the minimum release some kind of statement as a gesture of good customer service for Storm 2 owners.
    08-04-10 02:13 PM
    RIM should at the minimum release some kind of statement as a gesture of good customer service for Storm 2 owners.
    If nothing else give us a trade up program that is substantial or work with the carrier to do so. For those of us who bought our phones THIS YEAR I think its ridiculous that rim isn't releasing an OS6.

Sorry I don't mean to btch and moan Im just irritated, its like buying a video game console and then a week later they release a new one ..

I feel bad for the Storm 1 owners who bought a Storm 1 a week before S2 came out..
    08-04-10 02:56 PM
    If you folks took advantage of NE2 and paid around $79 (w/ 24mo commitment PLUS $350 ETF) for the device instead of the full-boat price of $519 - $599 they were asking for w/o contract, then it's not so bad. Now had I paid the 6bills American for the device and was left out in the cold? Holy s***, I can't even begin to... I mean I paid that much ($549) for a laptop for God's sake with better support... Still at odds if I paid $199 ($100 rebate = $299) would I get as upset... Yeah, probably would - still a chunk of change...
    08-04-10 02:57 PM
    I didn't know about the Fascinate so I did some checking. The Super AMOLED screen would give me pause, because I suspect it will hard to view the screen in direct sunlight. Even phones that don't use AMOLED seldom approach the readability of a BB phone in direct sunlight. Since I haven't seen a Galaxy myself, that's conjecture on my part, but from all that I've read on AMOLED and Super AMOLED, those screens do poorly in bright light. Comments?
    I actually used a Captivate (AT&T's version of the Fascinate) and it is not as viewable in direct sunlight as the Blackberry. But I gotta tell you Dave, when not in direct sunlight the screen is just amazing. And while it was hard to see in direct sunlight I had it on my default lighting setting (somewhere around 30%)...I didn't try bumping up the backlight to see how much it would help.
    08-04-10 03:04 PM
    Why?

10 char
    08-04-10 03:19 PM
    Well, since I have a life, my future plans include camping, hiking, biking, making love to my wife AND girlfriend (fantasy = at the same time!) working, using my BB S2 for productivity, email, keeping in touch with friends and family.

There's a lot more, but since I'm not bothered, why bother?
    08-04-10 03:23 PM
    This kinda pisses me off...seeing as my Storm 2 is about a month old. I did my research and I knew what I was buying before hand. This is not an Android phone, and the OS6 would never make it an Android phone...not even close. We should be happy we're not getting OS6. Think of all the whining we won't have to read about! RIM has a solid platform for what it is...an e-mail device on steroids. We as BB owners get to witness all the latest and greatest technology not only pass us by but do it at an alarming rate. The 9800, still light years behind Android. I really like my Storm 2...with that said I really wish it was faster, had a better browser, had a better camera, didn't have to pull the battery every three days, had a flash player, had a decent video camera...did I mention faster? Hey I can text an e-mail like no one's business though...who needs free Google maps right?
    08-04-10 03:31 PM
    Apparently, only if it's capitalized.

I'm pretty upset that my 2010 Ram 2500 does not have the latest doo dads that 2011 model has. I wonder if they'll let me exchange it for free?
    Ha! I wish!
    08-04-10 03:32 PM
    That's just bad business practice.. I'm very disappointed and feel cheated!
    08-04-10 04:01 PM
    I got the storm1 and the storm2 on day one. The storm2 is a great device, it does ALOT of things better than other phones, but still I like to have the latest and greatest and feel a little let down that OS6 is not available to us. I've played with the X and its like lightning. I guess I'm gonna wait a few weeks and probably switch to an X....Kinda makes me sad.
    I have the X and you will love it! I had both storms and I was not waiting for Rim to release another failed OS. I can do so much more on my X than I could do on my Storm 2 good luck and welcome to Android!
    08-04-10 04:01 PM
    I don't think its a big deal about 6.0 OS. I bought my S2 with 5 not expecting to get up date. I knew what I was buying. No 6 for my S2 no big. Still love it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-10 04:26 PM
    I suspect people like this who don't mind not getting OS 6 are either not too much into smarrphones, not tech savvy, or they use a second smartphone (ie. Droid or iPhone).
    Well, you'd be wrong on all counts. I didn't say I will not be getting OS6. it is not available for my current device. In fact, it is not currently available on ANY device my carrier offers. When a touch screen device becomes available on my carrier with OS6, I will most likely get one. I know a number of people that went Andriod and have their share of problems. My ex says her Andriod phone does everything really well except the most important - she says call quality stinks compared to her old Blackberry, and regrets letting the sales clerk talk her into the Android. My coworker just got an X, and has had to take the case apart to pull the battery numerous times already and says he probably won't keep it. My S2 gives me no trouble at all, and I'll deal with less than stellar browsing until I can actually purchase a device with OS6.

08-04-10 04:45 PM
    I'm going to android, I thought OS6 could save me but wow... rim is ancient history...now, waiting for vzw to announce fascinate or maybe i'll get droid 2 yay me! haha don't get me wrong... bb is good for tradional folks, simple stuff like cut/paste, email/txt but beyond that... it's not even worth mentioning....good luck rim and bb owners
    08-04-10 05:51 PM
    Those are probably user error (majority of the times) as you will find on this forum. A lot of people complain about their S2 and have exchanged it for the umpteenth time. Anyone that states that S2 is not doing 'all the things' it is supposed to be doing is outrightly LYING. The problem here is that a 9 month old device cannot upgrade to the latest OS that was developed by the manufacturer (RIM) and this is the first time we are seeing it in high-end device.

Yes, I understand that RIM did not promise future upgrade eligibility, it does not make sense that a device that works and is well built like S2 cannot run the latest OS.

I am still hoping that RIM will do the right thing a develop a version of the OS6 to run on Storm 2.. Call me a dreamer.

Well, you'd be wrong on all counts. I didn't say I will not be getting OS6. it is not available for my current device. In fact, it is not currently available on ANY device my carrier offers. When a touch screen device becomes available on my carrier with OS6, I will most likely get one. I know a number of people that went Andriod and have their share of problems. My ex says her Andriod phone does everything really well except the most important - she says call quality stinks compared to her old Blackberry, and regrets letting the sales clerk talk her into the Android. My coworker just got an X, and has had to take the case apart to pull the battery numerous times already and says he probably won't keep it. My S2 gives me no trouble at all, and I'll deal with less than stellar browsing until I can actually purchase a device with OS6.

08-04-10 06:09 PM
    Does anyone know if a leaked version of 6.0 will be created for the 9550? I only ask because if there is one or shall I say leaked versions created as there was with 5.0, then I would be willing to settle for a leak. My device has run off of leaks for the most part anyhow so it wont be a major inconvenience if there are leaks of 6.0 created. It would be nice if it was provided by the carrier but since we know that it will not become official for us, I am wondering the possibility of leaked versions. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this? I am very disappointed as I have had my device less than a year and I am with Verizon. I also have one cell. phone on the ATT network but wouldn't want to make a drastic jump in order to change devices. I am pleased with my storm but there must be a possible LEAK for 6.0 as there many for 5.0. ...
    08-04-10 06:37 PM
    Yea, i'm definitely pissed off that we're not getting OS6 on the Storm2. But it is what it is. I will either get the Torch (though unlikely because I am not switching to AT&T), or I will wait until the Storm 3 comes out early next year.

That said, if they just came out with an OS update for the storm2 that actually worked well, then I would be happy for at least a little while.

All this said, once I get the storm3, the storm4 will probably be out by the end of next year, so i'll be pissed then too..
    08-04-10 06:56 PM
    going to try apple iphone4, hope there's no worms in it !!!!
    08-04-10 07:00 PM
    Does anyone know if a leaked version of 6.0 will be created for the 9550? I only ask because if there is one or shall I say leaked versions created as there was with 5.0, then I would be willing to settle for a leak. My device has run off of leaks for the most part anyhow so it wont be a major inconvenience if there are leaks of 6.0 created. It would be nice if it was provided by the carrier but since we know that it will not become official for us, I am wondering the possibility of leaked versions. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this? I am very disappointed as I have had my device less than a year and I am with Verizon. I also have one cell. phone on the ATT network but wouldn't want to make a drastic jump in order to change devices. I am pleased with my storm but there must be a possible LEAK for 6.0 as there many for 5.0. ...
    Well, if there is a leak of OS6 that means RIM is (or was) creating a version of OS6 for the Storm2. Unless they plan on creating a lighter version for the Storm2, then I'd say it's unlikely we'd see leaks. Maybe there will be some hybrids out there at some point...that would be better than nothing.
    08-04-10 07:01 PM
    If engineers stopped developing things UNLESS they could be made backwards compatible to last years creations, we'd all still be watching black and white tvs. I would think that everyone here bought their S2 because it did what they wanted it to do...not because of what they hoped it might become one day.
    Yeah eventually you have jumps in technology where a given product hits an end of line, but it seemed premature for the Storm 2. I would imagine it's very important to a company to consider its current customers (retention) when making decisions for software upgrades, full releases, patches, enhancements, etc... We see it all around us with many products so it's not unreasonable to expect this to an extent.

The likely case here is that OS6 development ended up growing more than was expected and BAM, here we are...Storm2 refresh.

I work in software and over the course of a typical development cycle it's amazing to see how much projects get out of hand and run late with bad planning. Bug fixes alone can add so much to the size of a process or function it's ridiculous. This could have happened here.

Despite this if my company, after one year, told its customers who bought a rack worth thousands of dollars that all of the hardware would be obsolete...ouch. "Here's the next version...need to dump all existing hardware so you can run our new software...Thanks!" I don't think that would go over too well. Two years or more? Maybe.

Overall...a browser update at least would have been nice.
    08-04-10 07:54 PM
    Droid2 or iPhone - still deciding
    08-04-10 08:16 PM
271 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD