After going through 3 Storm's and currently being on my 2nd Storm 2.....I have had it, honestly unless RIM has something mind blowing tucked away for LTE I am done with blackberry phones, they are so far behind the rest of the game its not even funny. Come renewal time in February I'm going with a 4G droid.
    08-04-10 06:03 AM
    Like you guys - I kind of feel a little cheated myself. I've ALWAYS been a BlackBerry User despite things people said about them not being a "cool Phone" or about them having to press in on the screen etc. I've been on BlackBerry since they have came out. Now that my phone thats less than a year old can't be upgraded I'm a little pissy. I'm in Contract with Verizon so I can't even purchase a discounted phone so I have like 6 more months to play with something that can no longer be updated. Not that we all got upgrades all the time but lets face it, devleopers are going to start coding for OS 6 not OS 5.

Just my .02 cents.
    08-04-10 06:06 AM
    My first BB was a 8130 Pearl (World edition too large & no camera) and like loved it except for the small screen. I held out with my NE2 to buy the Storm2 on 10/29/09 and never regretted it. This phone has work almost flawlessly for me - I love the SurePress/SureType and the larger screen. I will NOT leave a touchscreen model; the larger screen and "feel" of it is superior to me than a physical keypad.

I do not feel "cheated;" if we want bigger and better features on our phones we have to expect to move on to a newer model. If you just bought your Storm2 a couple months ago and are now complaining, remember, your bought an 8-9 month old phone, should certainly have know its +s and -s, and have known a newer model would be out in a few months...that's why I waited 5 months to wait for the Storm2 rather than run out and get the Storm. RIM is not abandoning the Storm2 - there was still an update for the Storm not long ago and there will be more for the Storm2.

I am perfectly content with my Storm2 for now - it does email/SMS/MMS/IM/BBM/, calendar, contacts, and Phone, etc. quite nicely...the browser is my only complaint. My NE2 isn't up until June 2011, and I will wait until then and see what is out and coming out. My next purchase will probably be a BB Storm of some sort - I do want/expect a faster processor, more memory, and a bigger screen; can RIM deliver, I'm not sure, but I do like the "feel" of the BB O/S, but a lot can happen in 10 months; I hope RIM steps up to the plate.
    08-04-10 06:49 AM
    My first BB was a 8130 Pearl (World edition too large & no camera) and like loved it except for the small screen. I held out with my NE2 to buy the Storm2 on 10/29/09 and never regretted it. This phone has work almost flawlessly for me - I love the SurePress/SureType and the larger screen. I will NOT leave a touchscreen model; the larger screen and "feel" of it is superior to me than a physical keypad.

I do not feel "cheated;" if we want bigger and better features on our phones we have to expect to move on to a newer model. If you just bought your Storm2 a couple months ago and are now complaining, remember, your bought an 8-9 month old phone, should certainly have know its +s and -s, and have known a newer model would be out in a few months...that's why I waited 5 months to wait for the Storm2 rather than run out and get the Storm. RIM is not abandoning the Storm2 - there was still an update for the Storm not long ago and there will be more for the Storm2.

I am perfectly content with my Storm2 for now - it does email/SMS/MMS/IM/BBM/, calendar, contacts, and Phone, etc. quite nicely...the browser is my only complaint. My NE2 isn't up until June 2011, and I will wait until then and see what is out and coming out. My next purchase will probably be a BB Storm of some sort - I do want/expect a faster processor, more memory, and a bigger screen; can RIM deliver, I'm not sure, but I do like the "feel" of the BB O/S, but a lot can happen in 10 months; I hope RIM steps up to the plate.
    I agree with Cory. I actually have a spare S2 tucked away, pristine UNLOCKED refurb I bought from a friend who decided to go to a droid ($25 bucks, what a sucker). He hates the droid and wanted to buy back the S2. Sorry Charlie, no way Jose, ain't happnin Mr. Chaplin. Anyway will continue using my S2 until it don't look so pretty (or I drop it in the toidy or sumptin) then switch to my spare. Have no plans to upgrade for long after I'm eligible.
    08-04-10 08:00 AM
    My plan is to keep using my Storm2 like I have been. Its not getting the fancy new OS. Oh well... I'll get it on my next phone. Still love my S2 - works great for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-10 08:06 AM
    Guys... don't get upset... just look at the south koreans... they are getting the remains of s2 soon... they should be the upset ones.
    Well, that's what they get for sending the pre-1996 Hyundai's out to the world. Karma.
    08-04-10 08:11 AM
    My plan is to keep using my Storm2 like I have been. Its not getting the fancy new OS. Oh well... I'll get it on my next phone. Still love my S2 - works great for me.

I suspect people like this who don't mind not getting OS 6 are either not too much into smarrphones, not tech savvy, or they use a second smartphone (ie. Droid or iPhone).

I'm disappointed because I look at my s2 as an investment in a multifaceted tool, not just an instrument for emailing and calling.

08-04-10 08:35 AM

While I perfectly understand your sentiments, the paltry browser is a huge complaint as it happens to be 30-40 percent use of Smartphones these days. I just wish RIM will somehow magically make the webkit browser available for Storm 2.
    08-04-10 08:58 AM
    I suspect people like this who don't mind not getting OS 6 are either not too much into smartphones, not tech savvy
    That was my thought too. I gave up on S2 after about 5 weeks, underwhelmed. I'm glad I got the Bold.
    Last edited by plkcable; 08-05-10 at 03:09 PM.
    08-04-10 09:05 AM
    I was somewhat tempted by the bold but it just didn't seem like enough of an upgrade over the storm2.

08-04-10 09:33 AM
    I'm going to look forward to the Storm 3 since I have to stick with BB for work.

However, I was told my company was looking at iPhones, so we'll have to see if it comes to VZW and if it'll be supported...I may consider switching.

Overall, I've been happy with my Storm 2. I am jealous of my Droid and iPhone friends, though...and I want Angry Birds!
    08-04-10 09:54 AM
    I still have 9 months left before my NE2, all I can say is I am happy with the S2, but in 9 months it will be gone and the replacement will not be a BB.
    08-04-10 10:00 AM
    I feel like I was a RIM guinea pig with the Storm1 and thought that RIM would have had their act together when selling the Storm 2 so I bought one of those assuming it was their answer to the iPhone.

Now I learn that the Storm 2 was not made to accept future OS's and will not handle the OS 6

I plan on waiting until the 1st quarter of 2011 and seeing if Verizon starts selling the iPhone. I will switch in a minute and have a bad taste in my mouth (and pocketbook) regarding RIM.

I would switch to AT&T but they just do not have the coverage I need.
    08-04-10 10:20 AM
    If they give verizon an updated version of the storm2 which was reported might happen with the updated specs then sure I'll stick with my pretty Storm 2. If not, then I'm jumping over to the Samsung Galaxy ship. Most lightweight phone I've ever held. It's like ******* paper. Please though RIM, it's only a last resort. Please give us Storm2 users a free ride on the Blackberry 6 train. It aint fair that our phones aren't even a year old yet. I've been looking forward to this for far too long to just have been said no to.
    08-04-10 10:29 AM
    I am on T-mobil and I love my storm 2. I can surf the web as fast as I need to, It gives me crystal clear voice, lightning fast email and text and is just a good looking phone. So there is no rush to get the latest and greatest. BTW anyone wanting to sell there Storm 2 that are in mint condition Im willing to deal
    08-04-10 10:37 AM
    My company gave us the choice of the Blackberry Curve or the Storm 2. The Storm 2 was a no brainer but I pushed for a Droid instead. The company pushed back and our IT guy assured me a new OS was on the way. Now I wished I had pushed harder for the Droid. 20/20 hindsight, I know, but in the future, I won't let them saddle me with a Blackberry again.
    08-04-10 11:10 AM
    Probably won't get another Blackberry.

Highly unlikely at this point.
    08-04-10 11:14 AM
    the plan here is just to wait. Back up all my stuff till my droidx arrives

08-04-10 11:25 AM
    Wow, that's just wrong!

Storm 2, not even a year old and stuck in the past..
    08-04-10 11:49 AM
    does anyone knwo what the best OS6 theme is out there? i know the icons and such were leaked a few days ago, does anyone know of any OS6 themes that actually make use of the official icons?

ref link to what i am talking about

Over 1,000 BlackBerry 6 Icons and Images Leaked | BlackBerry Leaks - Blackberry news, software, videos, info, reviews, previews
    08-04-10 11:49 AM
    Currently typing this from my new 9700! Haha!

08-04-10 12:02 PM
    I honestly don't know what I'm going to do...I've been playing with a couple of Android phones and there are things I love, but there are things I don't love.

I am irritated that the Storm 2 ended up being so not supported, if that makes sense. Open GL...what are there, 2 games using it? Now that's not RIM's fault directly...but my Storm isn't being taken seriously by developers as a multimedia device so they aren't developing for it.

I'm not that upset about not getting 6.0. I was prepared for that. But I AM upset we can't get the webkit as a stand alone install. Honestly getting just webkit would go a LONG way for me in keeping some loyalty. It would definitely keep me on board til my renewal in July, at which time RIM will have had time to wow me with something else (or not).

Unless something changes about the webkit browser and what we know now (we can't get it), then I believe I'll be moving to Android when the Fascinate launches on Verizon. And I'll just have to deal with some growing pains.
    08-04-10 12:12 PM
    then I believe I'll be moving to Android when the Fascinate launches on Verizon. And I'll just have to deal with some growing pains.

I didn't know about the Fascinate so I did some checking. The Super AMOLED screen would give me pause, because I suspect it will hard to view the screen in direct sunlight. Even phones that don't use AMOLED seldom approach the readability of a BB phone in direct sunlight. Since I haven't seen a Galaxy myself, that's conjecture on my part, but from all that I've read on AMOLED and Super AMOLED, those screens do poorly in bright light. Comments?
    08-04-10 01:16 PM
    I'm personally pissed because I upgraded to the Storm 2 (which, on my carrier, was released last April) in the hopes that I would get at least some form of support.

Instead, RIM released a device with no foresight of what would come in the future and left adopters (the phone isn't even a year old yet) with a device which the company deems obsolete. Meanwhile, I turn around to see that, on the other side of the fence, early Android phones and iPhones are receiving OS upgrades even if their phones are already 2-3 years old.

I personally don't care about all the bell and whistles in OS6. The main thing I do care about is the Webkit browser. I can't navigate using the original browser (the pages I visit renders horribly or takes ages to load/locks up browser [StackOverflow anyone]).

Now I'm left with a device which, less then a few days ago, was considered as RIM's flagship touchscreen device. Today, it's simply an old and obsolete piece of technology which is simply miles behind... and it became that before passing through the usual stages of "second in line, but still pretty good", "good", etc...

I will upgrade to a 9800... Reluctantly, but I will...
    08-04-10 01:20 PM
    I'm personally pissed because I upgraded to the Storm 2 (which, on my carrier, was released last April) in the hopes that I would get at least some form of support.

Instead, RIM released a device with no foresight of what would come in the future and left adopters (the phone isn't even a year old yet) with a device which the company deems obsolete. Meanwhile, I turn around to see that, on the other side of the fence, early Android phones and iPhones are receiving OS upgrades even if their phones are already 2-3 years old.

I personally don't care about all the bell and whistles in OS6. The main thing I do care about is the Webkit browser. I can't navigate using the original browser (the pages I visit renders horribly or takes ages to load/locks up browser [StackOverflow anyone]).

Now I'm left with a device which, less then a few days ago, was considered as RIM's flagship touchscreen device. Today, it's simply an old and obsolete piece of technology which is simply miles behind... and it became that before passing through the usual stages of "second in line, but still pretty good", "good", etc...

I will upgrade to a 9800... Reluctantly, but I will...
    ah, the pace of technology. it slows for no one. I would have thought you would have already been aware of that immutable fact of life. No??
    08-04-10 01:34 PM
271 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD