07-01-10 08:29 AM
29 12
tools
    I have been using a Blackberry 8330 for about 2 years. eMail is my biggest use, communicating with my customers. I'm getting tired of replacing the trackball on this. I was paying for replacements, then my Verizon rep said they would replace it free anytime. The problem is it always goes when I am no where near a Verizon store.

I love my iPod Touch, and iPad, so I really like the touch screen. I would even consider the iPhone, if they were available via Verizon, but again, I think RIM's email is the best. I had a Motorolla smartphone before BB and the 15 minute wait for emails was totally unaceptable.

I can get an upgrade now. I even considered the HTC Incredible until I saw the battery life.

So, besides the above, here are a few other concerns:

How does the Touchscreen work? Like iPod touch? (you can't use a finger nail).

Will the battery life be on par with my 8330?

My eyesight is not what it used to be, is the screen fairly legible?

IS there a STORM3 in the works?

Yes, I will be visiting the Verizon store, but I welcome real hands on users comments here.
    06-29-10 10:00 PM
    Can you do us all a favor and use the search button and look. THis has got to be the 800th post about this. And they are all identical.

I say go to the VZW store try it. Come back then ask the questions please.

Thanks

GOOD LUCK
    06-29-10 10:14 PM
    The Storm 2 has the best touch screen available IMO. Surepress makes me feel like a stenographer when typing. The screen is nice and big. Coming from an 8330 like I did, it will not be a problem at all. Battery life sucks compared to the curve. I used to go days w/o charging my curve but have to charge my S2 at least once a day. Storm 3? Eh, I've heard rumors. But I've heard a lot of rumors about a lot of things, so...

IMO the S2 is an excellent device. The only question is do you want to go touchscreen which you've already answered so I'd so go for it.
    06-29-10 10:44 PM
    Go to a verizon store and play with it! If you really want a touchscreen phone, then the storm 2 is right for you.
    06-29-10 10:59 PM
    Well, if the battery life sucks as you say, then this is a deal breaker. I need at least what the 8330 is giving me. I do not need wireless or GPS on.

Is there any way to make it match the curve's battery life?
    06-29-10 11:04 PM
    Well, if the battery life sucks as you say, then this is a deal breaker. I need at least what the 8330 is giving me. I do not need wireless or GPS on.

You can make it a through the day with minimal apps running in the background and moderate use. I'm in college and whenever I don't need to be moving around my phone is charging and I rarely go below 50% with heavy use. Just be battery conscious if you're gonna be on it all the time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-10 11:08 PM
    Storm2 battery life will never be as good as the curve it just aint happening it takes more juice to power the bigger better resolution screen. However if you adjust the settings you can probably easily get well over a day out of it like I do and really what more do you need that that? Just charge it every night but you will have no problem lasting from morning till night and that includes those late nights too.

06-29-10 11:12 PM
    I never really have too much trouble with battery life. I have GPS, bluetooth and wifi on all the time. I have 2 chargers at home (bedroom, home office) one at work, a usb cable in my laptop bag, and a charger in both cars. If I'm going to be away from anywhere and can't charge if needed, I always carry a fully charged battery in my pocket. I don't know, yes maybe a better battery life is a good thing, but really there isn't anywhere I can't get a recharge if needed almost immediately, including my local pub.
    Last edited by dkingsf; 06-30-10 at 07:57 AM.
    06-30-10 07:47 AM

There isn't a touchscreen on the market that will give you battery life like the curve. There may not be another smartfone on the market that gives you the curve's battery life. Opportunity cost, my friend.
    06-30-10 08:36 AM
    Speaking strictly in terms of battery, I don't know any of my friends/colleagues who own iPhones and/or Android touch screen phones that get *better* battery life out of their device than I do with my Storm.

Do I wish the battery would last a little longer? Yes, but I do always get at least a full day out of it (which some folks I know with iPhone/Android cannot get), so it's not really a deal-breaker for me. I also have an extra battery I carry with me if I know I may be out and not able to charge it for a while. I rarely need to actually use the extra, but it is a nice option to have that iPhone owners do not.

Based solely on the info given in the OP, I'd say that there's a pretty good chance you'd be happy with a Storm 2.
    06-30-10 09:14 AM
    I have both the Storm 2 and HTC Incredible. My battery life has actually been slightly better with my DInc than it was with the Storm 2. Not sure why. Everyone's phone is different i guess. But truthfully they are both great devices. They both have their upsides and downsides like anything else. You'd probably be happy with either one. The Incredible's touchscreen is more like the iPhone/iPod Touch's. The Storm 2 has Surepress. Some people love it, Some people dislike it immensely. I'm indifferent about it. It's fine, but it doesn't make me want to do cartwheels. Right now I'm mainly using my Incredible, but haven't sold my Storm 2 yet. I want to wait until 6.0 comes out, then decide which one to keep. I have no brand loyalty, I just look at what works for me. As far as I know, yes a Storm 3 is in the works, but I haven't been keeping up on things as much. But you'd probably have to deal with your Curve for a bit more if you are willing.
    06-30-10 09:25 AM
    I have been using a Blackberry 8330 for about 2 years. eMail is my biggest use, communicating with my customers. I'm getting tired of replacing the trackball on this. I was paying for replacements, then my Verizon rep said they would replace it free anytime. The problem is it always goes when I am no where near a Verizon store.

I love my iPod Touch, and iPad, so I really like the touch screen. I would even consider the iPhone, if they were available via Verizon, but again, I think RIM's email is the best. I had a Motorolla smartphone before BB and the 15 minute wait for emails was totally unaceptable.

I can get an upgrade now. I even considered the HTC Incredible until I saw the battery life.

Yes, I will be visiting the Verizon store, but I welcome real hands on users comments here.
    Absolutely! I came from 8330 (great device) and was leary of a touch also. Email is my primary need also and I can actually type faster on the S2 than I could on my curve.

Battery life in my opinion is very similar. I have OS .607 which has been flawless for me...I highly recommend S2 even with all the rumors of S3, I still would get an S2. Love it!
    06-30-10 09:48 AM
    I took a trip to the Verizon store. I tried the Storm2 for about 1/2 hour. Just didn't like the interface. Love the larger screen. I'm either going to stick with the 8330 for now, or go for the Bold 9650. I like the touchpad on the 9650.

The biggest drawback on the S2 for me is the keyboard entry. I tried my best and could not get the right letters to register.

I do appreciate all the info.
    06-30-10 12:39 PM
    I took a trip to the Verizon store. I tried the Storm2 for about 1/2 hour. Just didn't like the interface. Love the larger screen. I'm either going to stick with the 8330 for now, or go for the Bold 9650. I like the touchpad on the 9650.

The biggest drawback on the S2 for me is the keyboard entry. I tried my best and could not get the right letters to register.

I do appreciate all the info.
    Honestly, you need to give it more time. It took me 2-3 days before I started feeling comfy with it. I'm telling you...if you stick it out, you'll love it!
    06-30-10 12:58 PM
    After the learning curve of the new touch screen I believe that keyboard entry on the Storm 2 is faster than any other device (I've used the 8330 and 9630). Also, on top of that one hand typing is a piece of cake on the S2. I have no gripes at all about using the keyboard on the Storm 2.

Oh and btw I type in portrait with full keyboard.
    06-30-10 01:12 PM
    If there was not that $35 restock fee, I'd go for it. But it's hard to give it a fair shot playing in the store.

The last time I upgrated there was no restock fee. Times change I guess. I've never returned one, but I'm sure some took advangate of it.
    06-30-10 01:14 PM
    Typing on it isn't for everyone.

A lot of us can type on it with considerable speed...in fact I've become so fast that sometimes the OS can't keep up, causing typos. This is especially true when typing an SMS...dunno why RIM has yet to fix the severe lag in SMS.
    06-30-10 01:16 PM
    Well, you still have me interested. Maybe I'll get it and if I don't like it, $35 won't kill me. I need to give it a chance. 10 minutes in the store won't do it.
    06-30-10 06:00 PM
    Well, you still have me interested. Maybe I'll get it and if I don't like it, $35 won't kill me. I need to give it a chance. 10 minutes in the store won't do it.
    that's the spirit kid....now be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

06-30-10 06:41 PM
    I have the 9550 and love it. I can type pretty well on it but my wife with the tour hates it. Im using the .741 keyboard .cod and it works well.
    06-30-10 07:02 PM
    Actually, Speedy, you're dead wrong. It's more like the 1,987th post on this same subject.

To the OP, whom appears to be new, you're asking a question about a device that will be, probably relatively soon, replaced. There are thousands upon thousands of posts here, all regarding the Storm 2 and in fact, directly answering all of your questions. Don't feel badly, you're new and thus, making a newbie mistake. Sadly, there are a billion posts by regulars who do the same thing. In fact, I love the ones that start out "I don't have time to search, so you guys tell me..............." HA!

And yes, Speedy, I do agree with you. Go to the store and play with the thing, then read professional reviews, then come here and do a search on the countless Storm 2 threads and read about it. It's a good phone, I've had mine since it's release.

Can you do us all a favor and use the search button and look. THis has got to be the 800th post about this. And they are all identical.

I say go to the VZW store try it. Come back then ask the questions please.

Thanks

GOOD LUCK
    06-30-10 07:14 PM
    I am new to Blackberry, purchased a pre-owned Tour but never activated it because I wanted a Storm 2. Got one less than two weeks old, the guy did not like it and did not want to eat the $35 restocking fee.

I am an older learner, but pretty techie. I'd say you need about 2 - 3 days with it to learn the phone. But now I love it, no buttons or trackball to get dirty. Battery life? If you use it as a phone and not for the internet, mine is more or less for the email. It might last two days, but you'd better have your car charger or main charger with you just in case. I don't have a clue as to what a spare battery would cost, but that might be a travel option where you could not use a charger.
    06-30-10 07:44 PM
    Your situation is extremely similar to mine. I had the 8330 as well and liked it ok, screen was a bit small, app's didn't work, it was really slow, etc. I also have an iPod touch and love it. As a matter of fact I did have an iPhone and loved that as well, however I am stuck with a BB due to work.

I recently upgraded to the Storm 2 and I like it a lot. In some ways I actually like the sure press screen better than just the touch screen, and the more I get used to it the more I like it. But the main thing I like about the Storm 2 is the screen. I was a bit surprised with the quality of the screen because nobody on any site really mentioned it. It is spacious and very sharp.

There are a few quirky things about it I don't like, but with any phone you will have minor annoyances. Most of them are really related to the outdated BB OS compared with the iPhone and Android phones. However, it is easily to me, the best Blackberry out there.
    06-30-10 08:19 PM

If you have to ask, it's not for you.
    06-30-10 10:36 PM
    Try this.. buy the ip4 and sell it away at no-contract retail price then use all the money buy an almost new storm2 and get some cash in your pocket to spend.

Thanks for apple thats how i got my free storm2 ya. will probably do the same thing to get my free storm3...i do love apple in certain way.
    06-30-10 10:47 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD