So i went ahead and downloaded the Antenna Meter app from Xtreme Labs on my 9550 (Storm2) and the death grip they pictured didn't work. However, i did find my own way to make the phone drop from 4 bars to 1. (If i could get 5 bars, i'm sure it would still drop to 1)

Basically, you push the bottom of your Storm2 into the palm of your hand using your other hand. Hold it so the two ends of the chrome are touching your palm. The entire bottom surface of the phone should be touching your palm.

If anyone tries this, ell me if it works. If my instructions are bad, then please tell me and i will try to figure out how to add a picture to my post.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. This will NEVER come in to play like the iPhones does. You have to put a lot of force on the Storm2 for it to work and i've been repeating my test, it seems to work %50 of the time.
    Last edited by Irving94; 07-23-10 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Typo
    07-23-10 01:26 AM
    I tried that but still have all bars. And even if it did drop, it wouldn't be a problem because nobody talks with their hands around that phone like that
    07-23-10 01:34 AM
    So i went ahead and downloaded the Antenna Meter app from Xtreme Labs on my 9550 (Storm2) and the death grip they pictured didn't work. However, i did find my own way to make the phone drop from 4 bars to 1. (If i could get 5 bars, i'm sure it would still drop to 1)

Basically, you push the bottom of your Storm2 into the palm of your hand using your other hand. Hold it so the two ends of the chrome are touching your palm. The entire bottom surface of the phone should be touching your palm.

If anyone tries this, ell me if it works. If my instructions are bad, then please tell me and i will try to figure out how to add a picture to my post.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. This will NEVER come in to play like the iPhones does. You have to put a lot of force on the Storm2 for it to work and i've been repeating my test, it seems to work %50 of the time.
    I tried it and could not get the bars to drop (4 bars -80dBm)
    07-23-10 01:48 AM
    I tried a two handed death grip where I covered the entire back of the phone and most of the sides and still only got the signal to drop from -80dBm to -90dBm, and that was only for a couple of seconds before it recovered on its own. That was the most I could do.
    07-23-10 01:49 AM
    I tried and it doesn't work... the signal didn't even drop a single dBm....
    07-23-10 02:09 AM
    Now that we have established Steve Jobs and his merry-men of overpaid PHD antenna experts didn't design the Storm's antenna, I can sleep well tonight!
    07-23-10 02:12 AM
    Please stop performing such stupid act. Even Steve Jobs don't dare to use the Storm2 as an example of his antennagate during Apple press conference.

As a Storm2 owner, I must say our antenna design is almost perfect. Let's be humble ok? We simply don't need a bumper.
    07-23-10 04:57 AM
    I couldn't tell anyway as my bars jump up and down all the time; a problem with the Storm2 since I got it 10/29. I assume it's the "radio" file that controls this? My Pearl never had that problem, but I still hardly ever drop a call. Some of these so-called "death-grips" are to the point of ridiculous anyway...you just would never hold the phone that way to make a call, right or left handed.
    07-23-10 06:33 AM
    Alright, I give up. I get the point. Can someone from Canada/US? File a case with local court and sue RIM? So we can get a free bumper? Does RIM manufacture bumper? Hrmp...if they don't, we can always settle for an otterbox defender. wahahaha. RIM say "We love bb user, so we are giving you free otterbox". wahahaha.
    07-23-10 06:49 AM
    ... I can death grip my phone when I sandwich it between my two hands.. It goes from -70 to -86 dBm. Crazy stuff, shouldn't be possible.. :P
    07-23-10 07:54 AM
    My S2 works just fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-10 08:42 AM
    ... I can death grip my phone when I sandwich it between my two hands.. It goes from -70 to -86 dBm. Crazy stuff, shouldn't be possible.. :P
    We have a winner. I was able to duplicate your scenario. Of course, holding the phone in such a manner pretty much negates using it for anything except a hammer.
    07-23-10 10:14 AM
    You guys have all made Steve Jobs successful at his intentions. To draw attention away from "his iPhone 4" antenna reception design issue and pull everybody else into it.
    Now you see posts everywhere about the RIM "death grip" and apps to test the death grip on something that doesn't even plague our phones.
    Don't perpetuate this non-RIM issue and give Steve Jobs the satisfaction of accomplishing his goals... because from what I can see, he just did.
    07-23-10 10:45 AM
    I tried it just because I usually only get 3 bars on average where I live here in IL, I wish I saw 5 most of the time. I barely switched my grip, from a 2 finger/thumb to a death grip and went from -86 to -110.
    07-23-10 08:21 PM
    This tends strongly to confirm the observation of the fellow who disassembled the Storm II and found what he believed to be the phone's antenna running across the base of the unit. If you ground or otherwise block this area and are in an area where the signals are not so strong, you'll lose signal strength. Nice to have the confirmation. BTW, the wifi antenna is apparently up at the top end of the phone.

Bob
    07-25-10 09:00 PM
    Please stop performing such stupid act. Even Steve Jobs don't dare to use the Storm2 as an example of his antennagate during Apple press conference.

As a Storm2 owner, I must say our antenna design is almost perfect. Let's be humble ok? We simply don't need a bumper.
    Yes the S2 has a great antenna, which is part of the reason it puts out such low radiation levels.
    07-26-10 01:45 AM
    I don't have to death grip my phone to have lousy reception. All I have to to is stay home. As a matter of fact, I called VZW once to ask a simple question (unrelated to signal strength). Check this out, the operator asked if I would like to create a trouble ticket for my poor call quality. I asked what she meant and she told me she could barely understand anything I was saying. LOL She asked how long it's been taking place and my answer was, from the day I brought the Storm 2 home. My last 3 LG's had flawless reception at my house.

No worries though, a simple fix and my reception is back to FULL. Just go to your local VZW store and give them $250 and they will give you the Network Extender. Fortunately it comes with a $100 rebate right now.

So with that said, I say the antenna on the S2 isn't any better than that of any other phone on the market. Not that I've used the all, however this is far from perfect. There will never be a "perfect" phone on the market.
    07-26-10 02:27 AM
    Ah guys (titusilvering and Sparro), don't take it so seriously. What this app proves is how much of a fool Steve Jobs is. Even with a supposed "death grip" we still don't see the same effect as simply placing your finger over one little tiny line on the iPhone 4. The whole point is to show that the iPhone 4 has issues that are due to poor design and that's all there is to it. Some of us can show a signal drop, but that's only after surrounding the phone with our hands, which is completely unrealistic.

No need to become defensive.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-10 02:35 AM
    Did this with a friend of mine with my phone and his. I'm on Verizon and he is on AT&T. His dropped to zero and mine didn't drop one bit. Oh, wait a second. He started at zero. Never mind....
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 07-26-10 at 09:02 AM.
    07-26-10 08:51 AM
    I don't have to death grip my phone to have lousy reception. All I have to to is stay home. As a matter of fact, I called VZW once to ask a simple question (unrelated to signal strength). Check this out, the operator asked if I would like to create a trouble ticket for my poor call quality. I asked what she meant and she told me she could barely understand anything I was saying. LOL She asked how long it's been taking place and my answer was, from the day I brought the Storm 2 home. My last 3 LG's had flawless reception at my house.

No worries though, a simple fix and my reception is back to FULL. Just go to your local VZW store and give them $250 and they will give you the Network Extender. Fortunately it comes with a $100 rebate right now.

So with that said, I say the antenna on the S2 isn't any better than that of any other phone on the market. Not that I've used the all, however this is far from perfect. There will never be a "perfect" phone on the market.
    eff that just go spend 35 bux on a rubber band and that will fix it
    07-26-10 08:52 AM
    I downloaded this app a few days ago. I can't make the signal drop no matter how I hold the phone. The one thing I noticed was that I have a terrible memory leak. I just uninstalled the app. I don't need it anyway.
    07-26-10 09:29 PM
    Alright, well I was looking for info regarding the .713 update and found this thread instead. It's hilarious really. Since reading about Steve Jobs and his excuses regarding the iPhone4, I admit to playing around with my phone to see if I lost signal like he's been accusing all phones. @corymcnutt, My bars jump also however I can tell when it's tower related and when it's my phone. I held my phone in both my hands at once, in order to fully cover back and all chrome. That's my death grip and not a normal fashion I would use while talking on the phone. 5 bars down to 3 and then back up to 5 again. All within 15 seconds and me not moving my hands one bit. Case closed.
    That being said, testing our phones really is pointless. You can tell when you have a crappy phone just by all the dropped calls you suffer. I have yet to experience a dropped call since purchasing my Storm2 and that's with a bouncing signal (Verizon seriously needs to update that old Alltel tower.) I really feel sorry for all the people suckered into buying a Apple product. :-(
    07-26-10 10:14 PM
    congratulation to steve jobs for his success in confusing the public on death grip definition.
    07-26-10 10:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD