In my opionion, S2 is more than 2 year old technology. S2 was a bug-fix edition of what was lacking in S1, 2 years back. Otherwise both devices look and feel exactly the same with very few changes. even the OS looks and feels the same.
    Two years old or not, it's still the only touchscreen phone I can consider using with SurePress and SureType. No other touchscreen phone can be used as effectively with one hand.
    07-17-10 12:11 AM
    Excellent point. The value of being able to use the phone with one hand is priceless. It is the biggest the phone should get to use in such a way.

I find that this phone gives me excellent music playback, camera function including dark areas, an emergency flashlight (thanks QLaunch), great BES use for being on the go, an excellent keyboard, full reliable navigation thanks to Telenav (worth every penny), banking apps, finance apps, excellent Youtube viewer (not the crappy native one), BBM, social networking like FB combined with my contacts, calendar, and messaging a very satisfactory browser thanks to Opera 5.1, and let's not forget a useful combined email account.

I consider this a Swiss army device. I don't get myself worked up about the newest devices as long ad I get everything I need and feel its reliable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-10 08:39 AM
    I got a chance to try my sisters Storm 2 over the 4th of July at a family reunion and I love it. It's so far ahead of the average texting, picture phone. I couldn't put it down. My brother has the Droid sliding qwerty and they are nice but I liked the Storm 2 the best, regardless of its slower browsing speed.

It does all things well that I despise about my current GZ One Boulder cell phone. It takes 22 seconds to open pictures and begin scrolling and 3 seconds to load a new pic. it would take almost an hour to go through my 1113 pictures at that rate. The Storm 2 allows you to zoom through pics with a wave of your fingers. Texting was breeze and I like the sure press screen.

Equally, I love the way the phone looks and feels in your hands. It has to be one of the best looking phones out there.

Battery life seemed poor. I tinkered with it a lot so maybe its not that bad. I can miss a day of charging with my current phone. It does no where near what the storm 2 does though.

The only things I would improve on this phone is browsing speed, battery life and camera shutter speed, without knowing more about it. If anything moves the slightest with my current phone, the picture can be trashed. I took a few test shots with a storm 2 while swinging it rapidly in the Verison store the other day and the image was crystal clear to my amazement. I couldn't make it take a blurry picture, so maybe it has a fast enough shutter speed as it is.

I think I'll wait until the Storm 3 comes out to get one but I'd take a Storm 2 in a New York minute.
    07-17-10 10:32 AM
    Excellent point. The value of being able to use the phone with one hand is priceless. It is the biggest the phone should get to use in such a way.

I find that this phone gives me excellent music playback, camera function including dark areas, an emergency flashlight (thanks QLaunch), great BES use for being on the go, an excellent keyboard, full reliable navigation thanks to Telenav (worth every penny), banking apps, finance apps, excellent Youtube viewer (not the crappy native one), BBM, social networking like FB combined with my contacts, calendar, and messaging a very satisfactory browser thanks to Opera 5.1, and let's not forget a useful combined email account.

I consider this a Swiss army device. I don't get myself worked up about the newest devices as long ad I get everything I need and feel its reliable.

+1 on the one-handed operation
    +1 on it being a great music playing device (thanks to the LOUD speaker)
    07-17-10 11:56 AM
    I got a chance to try my sisters Storm 2 over the 4th of July at a family reunion and I love it. It's so far ahead of the average texting, picture phone. I couldn't put it down. My brother has the Droid sliding qwerty and they are nice but I liked the Storm 2 the best, regardless of its slower browsing speed.

It does all things well that I despise about my current GZ One Boulder cell phone. It takes 22 seconds to open pictures and begin scrolling and 3 seconds to load a new pic. it would take almost an hour to go through my 1113 pictures at that rate. The Storm 2 allows you to zoom through pics with a wave of your fingers. Texting was breeze and I like the sure press screen.

Equally, I love the way the phone looks and feels in your hands. It has to be one of the best looking phones out there.

Battery life seemed poor. I tinkered with it a lot so maybe its not that bad. I can miss a day of charging with my current phone. It does no where near what the storm 2 does though.

The only things I would improve on this phone is browsing speed, battery life and camera shutter speed, without knowing more about it. If anything moves the slightest with my current phone, the picture can be trashed. I took a few test shots with a storm 2 while swinging it rapidly in the Verison store the other day and the image was crystal clear to my amazement. I couldn't make it take a blurry picture, so maybe it has a fast enough shutter speed as it is.

I think I'll wait until the Storm 3 comes out to get one but I'd take a Storm 2 in a New York minute.
    Keep in mind no smartphone can match the average battery life of a regular cellphone. With that said, BlackBerry phones have terrific battery life compared to other smartphones.

07-17-10 12:27 PM
    Exactly, but add to that, a touch screen device (and a large one at that) and the problem is even greater.

Personally, I am slightly below 50% after 24 hours with average use and with heavy use, I've seen it drop to as low as 15%, AFTER 24 hours! I don't find that particularly bad and I'm quite happy with it.

Keep in mind no smartphone can match the average battery life of a regular cellphone. With that said, BlackBerry phones have terrific battery life compared to other smartphones.

07-17-10 02:05 PM

Yeah, I know they do so much more than a standard cell phone. A second battery would solve that issue fairly easily.

Does the storm 2 allow you to organize pictures in sets? If I could at least choose to organize pics by date or name it would be nice, like my computer. I want control over the order of my pictures.
    07-17-10 02:25 PM
    Yes, you can easily organize your photos for the S2. There are two ways that I am aware of (and use). The first to either rename them so that they are alpha-numerical (prior to loading on to the phone from your computer). Since I am a professional photographer and use my phone as a way to carry some sample photos around, this is what I most often use, organizing my photos in the order I want them viewed.

The second way is to simply open your Photos folder, click the BB button/Options and scroll down to "Pictures." There, you'll see the option to "Sort By" and you can select either "Name" or "Most Recent."

I keep a spare battery in my wall charger. Depending on the day's schedule, I simply swap it out when I'm going to be away for awhile...works just fine for me!

Yeah, I know they do so much more than a standard cell phone. A second battery would solve that issue fairly easily.

Does the storm 2 allow you to organize pictures in sets? If I could at least choose to organize pics by date or name it would be nice, like my computer. I want control over the order of my pictures.
    07-17-10 02:53 PM
    Don't forget you can setup folders on your Storm2 to break up the pictures into sets, as well. For instance, I have a wallpaper folder to separate them from regular photos.
    07-17-10 03:08 PM
    Yes, you can easily organize your photos for the S2. There are two ways that I am aware of (and use). The first to either rename them so that they are alpha-numerical (prior to loading on to the phone from your computer). Since I am a professional photographer and use my phone as a way to carry some sample photos around, this is what I most often use, organizing my photos in the order I want them viewed.

The second way is to simply open your Photos folder, click the BB button/Options and scroll down to "Pictures." There, you'll see the option to "Sort By" and you can select either "Name" or "Most Recent."

I keep a spare battery in my wall charger. Depending on the day's schedule, I simply swap it out when I'm going to be away for awhile...works just fine for me!
    That's wonderful about the pictures. One of the biggest aggravations on my current phone is picture handling.

The Storm 2 does not have an HDMI port but does have a micro USB port. Can that port be used for Data transfer without taking the Micro SD card out of the phone, like an IPOD or MP3 Player?
    07-18-10 08:07 AM
    Yes, the computer looks at it as "hard drive" and you can drag files from your computer to the card. I do this all the time for music and pictures.

07-18-10 08:38 AM
    Can that port be used for Data transfer without taking the Micro SD card out of the phone, like an IPOD or MP3 Player?
    Of course!!! Its an almost perfect storm! Option>Memory> Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode...
    07-18-10 08:46 AM
    Did you pp see the latest OS6 on 9800?

Gosh... how much mb is need to run OS6? Seem like if storm2 is eligible, we will end up having little mb for apps. Even now my mb is less than 50mb.
    07-19-10 06:52 AM
    @titusilvering & @irving94:

>>quote :if you guys ask me what could be the possible reasons your storm2 is screwing up... i would say..maybe you didn't use it properly? or configure it properly?<<

what's the best config for storm 2. is there a thread that gives the specs for settings etc. to help with battery life, avoid app/load freezes, and just for an overall even better storm 2. i have .713 on my baby now. i LOVE my storm. there used to be a post on the storm 1 where some1 suggested stuff like screen brightness, hover, how many icons to have on home screen, etc. help a storm 2 lover out, pretty please.

what's the best configs that you've found for your storm 2? please share, direct me to thread, or pm if possible. thanks.

Sorry guys for starting this new thread.

I have been reading quite a few threads lately about pp giving up their storm2 or complaining about their storm2. Just can't help but to write some of my thoughts here...

When I sold my iphone 3gs and when I started becoming an anti-apple person...you know what? I am now really into bb storm2...bb seem to be the way of life for me now hahahaha.

i brought my storm2 from ebay....its an unlock phone from verizon..probably the owner brought it in feb10....its a cdma phone and i am now using it over the other end of the world...singapore.

i am a tech savvy person but i never really bother about installing those leaks os...whenever RIM releases any official os or updates.. i believe those are actually fixes for existing os bugs. for example...after i upgrade to 607.. i got the alphabet guided keyboard but loses the modem feature.

its quite a **** here but now they releases the 713 which fixes the modem issue and i am so happy about it.

i can only say that every official os upgrade will bring about goodness.

battery life wise i got no comment cuz its really whats running in the background determine the life.

i mean.. i got absolutely no problem with my storm2. i am loving it and using it so much especially the messaging portion. e.g. msn n email.

i install quite a lot good free apps from appsworld. the only apps i brought is the meterberry... and to be honest...i don't even need that apps cuz.. somehow when all the free apps comes together.. you will get all features you need.

if you guys ask me what could be the possible reasons your storm2 is screwing up... i would say..maybe you didn't use it properly? or configure it properly?

if there's ever 1 good positive user experience... i believe all the bad user experience would be nonsense. sorry about that mate.

i would strongly suggest whenever you install a new apps or remove a new apps...please perform a reboot as per the os request. don't install multiple apps or remove multiple apps then reboot 1 time thinking its time saving...

even for the os upgrade..perform a clean install or upgrade please...use only the official ones. cuz eventually it will bring you to OS6....

i have been thru some bad days with my storm2..cuz i am bad...i screwed it up..hahaha...doing all those improper things on phone gets bad results..e.g. keyboard went crazy..phone rebooting..alot etc.. but i straighten out my thoughts and figured it out and now having a good times.

if you are having problems with apps after os upgrade.. that make sense! its suppose to be apps meet os requirement not os meet apps require.. get it? e.g. What apps can run on windows xp doesn't mean they can run on windows 7! those apps we are using now can't guarantee they will run under OS6!!! So you have to decide what you really want...for me.. i never bother to buy themes or apps now cuz i am a little worried what if those apps that i buy now will not work well with OS6? when i upgrade to the os 713..some apps need to download and reinstall but i did it the proper way by uninstalling..reboot...download and install again and they all works fine now.

So before you complain that the storm2 is a bad phone please think about why another are having a good times using the storm2 while you are not.

if you really can't stand storm2 then by all means sell it away and buy the apple or droid. Just give up and go! don't even look back.. cuz there are many more pp out there joining us using the storm2 and loving their new storm2.

I can only say.. the STORM2 is a very good phone and I never regret selling my iphone 3gs.

iphone4g? well...didn't they always come up with new phone to compete with each other? maybe when i recontract, i will see which is better and of better user experience but till then... STORM2 is the way!
    07-19-10 04:03 PM
    im from apple iphone 2g my buddy start changing from apple to blackberry i just had my curve for 3 weeks and switched to storm 2 i dont have any complains for my bb9550, im just bored with the themes i cant changed it i been using the default one for 2 weeks now, can somebody help me get themes for my bb 9550 tnx
    07-20-10 11:46 AM
    what's the best configs that you've found for your storm 2? please share, direct me to thread, or pm if possible. thanks.
    Maybe I share with you my storm2 routine? Not so much of configs actually since the settings are pretty standard.

At home, I will turn on wifi and use the storm2 till battery almost flat till about 3% battery. I notice the phone will auto shut down some apps or functions at this point to save battery!!! e.g. I have the stormslider screen lock. It will auto terminate and unable to launch when my battery is really in an almost empty mode. Amazingly, when I plug in the power for charging, it will be able to launch again. Is that a stormslider feature? or storm2 feature? I would think is storm2 because I noted some things really shut down to conserve energy? Or insufficent battery to run? wahahaha I have meterberry btw to snooze at 5% which i usually ignore the snooze and let it continue to drain and I will usually charge my battery overnight from there.

Storm2 9550
    GSM mode

List of 24x7 apps
    1. Msn
    2. IM+
    3. Meterberry
    4. BeWeather
    5. BuzzMe

Pushmail box
    1 x Gmail
    4 x Hotmail

How to conserve battery and improve performance?
    1. Network Technology set GSM/UMTS instead of Global to prevent network searching
    2. Network Mode I set 3G&2G, if your telco only 2G then set 2G to prevent network searching
    3. Turn off wifi
    4. Turn off bluetooth
    5. Theme use default
    6. Backlight brightness to 10
    7. Blacklight timeout to 1minute
    8. Auto Dim backlight to On
    9. LED coverage indicator to Off
    10. Vibration off
    11. Turn off any apps that startup at boot by using bb Apps switcher to identify apps and close properly. e.g. Doc2goFiles
    12. Alway close apps when not in use by using bb Apps switcher
    13. Media play in stop mode, I try not to let them in pause mode
    14. GPS off

Left shortcut key
    Stormslider

Right shortcut key
    BB Application Switcher

Application memory left
    <56MB
    List of apps installed last update refer to thread date. All media files stored in sdcard

Purchased apps
    1. Meterberry
    2. Doc2go Premium
    3. iBerry theme (IMHO, I hate the theme and never use it again. Brought it since its number 1 in apps store to try out and showed it to my iphone friends and they are speechless.)

A Storm2 before/after work
    Multi-tasking mode for 1 hour - I will launch the following apps at same time.
    How? E.g. BB browser loading CB, I will use bb apps switcher to home and launch Engaget and switch again to another apps and again almost everytime to save time while they loading.
    1. Engaget
    2. BB browser surfing
    3. ChNewsAsia
    4. Media player for music or video
    5. Facebook

Storm2 at adhoc
    Other apps I will use when there's a need.
    e.g. google map, bb map, camera and video etc.

Storm2 at work
    1. Msn
    2. BBM
    3. Music player
    4. BB browser surfing

When to charge storm2 at work?
    When the battery indicator turn red/amber, charge using USB

Storm2 at home
    Turn on Wifi, use till 3% and charge using wall adapter till next morning.

Storm2 maintenance
    Self perform reboot once a week and its a must to reboot upon each application installation. Backup my phone every month is a must. Please treat your storm2 the same way you treat a normal windows pc. The OS is the base and will not have problem. Its what you installed causes problems. Not all apps are design and tested intensively for storm2. Most are develop for keypad phone first then storm2.

Storm2 update
    Only use DM to ensure problem free. I don't use hybrids, I don't download updates from other telco. I simply connect my phone to the DM and it auto update and push whatever is supposed to be for my phone.

Storm2 protection
    1. Otterbox commuter = No battery pull since day 1 otter is on
    2. Clarivue anti-glare = No finger print and smooth but slight decrease in screen clarity and touch. Still can live with it.

Storm2 history
    1. Bought off ebay, 2nd hand phone.
    2. Dropped 4 times? cracked the digitizer
    3. Bought a replacement screen and replaced the crack screen by myself
    4. Dropped 3 time with otterbox with no damage

Storm2 battery life
    Range from 12hours to days, it really depend what you run.

Storm2 get organise
    My bb browser, beWeather, clock, bb maps, options, meterberry, contacts and calender are in the home folder.
    As for the rest of the apps or icons, I categorized them and I like to see all my folders at a glance when i hit the bb menu.
    1. Instant messaging > All messages, emails, social apps such as facebook, bbm, msn all in that folder
    2. Media > All music, pictures, videos, photo editing apps, youtube, radio and recorder in that folder
    3. Applications > All 3rd party apps in the folder
    4. Productivity & tools > All doc/xls/pdf/ppt, calculator, task etc and financial tools in that folder
    5. Games > All games
    6. Download > CB superstore and Appworld
    7. Setup > All the bb default setup apps and 3rd party apps for use for configurations. e.g. quickpull, stormslider, buzzme etc
    8. Recycle bin > Anything I can't delete and don't want to see i move to the hidden folder.

Screen and keyboard
    I uses full keyboard with show key indicator always. Tap is 400, hover period is 100, swipe sensitivity is 6. I tried changing the settings but I don't find a big difference so I am still using default. For the cut and paste function, I realised that its much easier to move the selection indicator using my index finger than using thumb.

I cannot ask more from my storm2 since it meet my daily needs and everyday whenever i explore the phone and found new things, i learn from it and understand the phone better. e.g. I tried changing the permission for all my applications and test if it will screw up my phone. Verdict = yes, although some permission is not required actually. There's some cool simple features as and when you will figure out and find it useful. e.g. if you need to catch someone online in msn, you can place his/her contact as icon or even set the msn to alert you when the contact came online. Sometime when you download an apps it doesn't display properly you need to set the compatibility mode.

There is so much more to talk about. I can only share with you the basic. I guess when you hit a problem or issue, thats when this forum come handy and people will give some nice advice. I am still learning from people from the forum and always have interesting findings.
    Last edited by titusilvering; 07-20-10 at 01:43 PM.
    07-20-10 11:47 AM
    It has taken it a few months. But now my Storm2 is finally behaving as I would like it to.

With .741 I have absolutely no issues, and the stock theme just keeps getting better (i know; baby steps... but it is simply (IMO) superior to anything You can design in Theme Builder/Composer)

My brother has an A..... and my wife an I..... Those are cool phones as well but when I�m playing around with them I can�t help wonder: Where do I find that, Can�t it event do that and so on......... But they sure look nice.

One thing alone like data usage... I mean the BB in any form is just so far ahead of anything else at getting the job done with as few kb as possible. And talking about getting the job done... Handling messages, appointments is just much faster with a BB, maybee not as pretty, but that is the point.. It does not need to be in order to get it done.

The browser is cool... Now I bet that statement woke You up..... My point is. It is what it is; A mobile browser not a "surfboard". Find the right mobile sites and spice it up with few apps and you will have a quick overview of anything from news, weather, tv-guide and social networking a split second. I tried both Opera and Bolt, but for the sites I am normally visiting with my phone, they where just to slow to use.. Also I just discovered the "cursor mode" in the browser, which gives you a mouse pointer half a inch from your finger so You can see what you are hitting... Very cool.

Notificatons are breathtaking. You design those to almost any sisutation and there are even apps to expand the possibillities.

So, do I like my Phone... You bet, almost as much as I liked my 9700 which I traded in for this one. The gap was huge in the beginning and I instantly wanted my 9700 back, but now the gap is getting smaller day by day...

OS6 or not OS6. I�m a believer, regardless the rumors of it not reaching the Storm2, but I cannot see how RIM can afford not to make (some kind of) OS6 for all the 256MB devices.. I mean all 128MB devices got OS5, plus the new Pearl is a 256 is well... (But it is just all speculation on my part)

So I still believe we will have it at some point. Not as "Grand" as the version they willl throw on the Storm3, but even on that story there is good news to the Storm2 world The device body is supposedly the same as we have now, so one less reason to crave the S3 as soon as it hits the streets.

Sounds perfect, does�nt it? So here comes the almost part...

Sure Press. It is a brilliant to implement click on a touchscreen, really unique. But it still need fine tuning, either it is too hard or too sluggish and it seems to be affected by heat/cold as well. On the upside here though, it seems that it is getting a little bit better on each new OS, so maybe they will have nailed it on OS6

Another small thing I miss, but I know can�t be achieved on a touch screen, is keyboard shortcuts, that really made the Bold so brilliant. But I hope it will be solved in the future with some better shortcut buttons than the existing ones....
    07-22-10 05:46 PM
    Not so perfect as of yesterday's Gizmofusion release.
    07-22-10 05:52 PM
    yeah, I'm a bit disappointed, to be sure, but not surprised...the 256 MB of memory has always been suspect for 6.0. Still, I do hope it's "just a rumor" and something will happen.

On the other hand, I'll probably upgrade this November anyway, to the 3?

Not so perfect as of yesterday's Gizmofusion release.
    07-22-10 06:13 PM
    yeah, I'm a bit disappointed, to be sure, but not surprised...the 256 MB of memory has always been suspect for 6.0. Still, I do hope it's "just a rumor" and something will happen.

On the other hand, I'll probably upgrade this November anyway, to the 3?
    I hope it's just a rumor too. I sold off my Storm and kept S2, might be regretting that decision. I probably won't be going to S3 since it's supposedly just an Odin Refresh.

If it is true, S2 should have been named S1.5 and I would have known to pass.
    07-22-10 06:17 PM
    There is an entire thread here devoted to themes....do a search..there are tons of them, both free and paid.

im from apple iphone 2g my buddy start changing from apple to blackberry i just had my curve for 3 weeks and switched to storm 2 i dont have any complains for my bb9550, im just bored with the themes i cant changed it i been using the default one for 2 weeks now, can somebody help me get themes for my bb 9550 tnx
    07-22-10 06:22 PM
    If storm 2 is an almost perfect smartphone...then justin bieber is the best artist of all time!
    07-22-10 06:39 PM
    If storm 2 is an almost perfect smartphone...then justin bieber is the best artist of all time!
    That's just down right mean and totally uncalled for!
    07-22-10 07:51 PM
    Does this justin own a bb?

07-22-10 07:55 PM
    I have 2 question's (Be easy I'm new here) and this has been really fustrating me. I have the Storm 2 and when you have a new incoming text message from a new contact (someone thats not on your contact list) How do you save the contact? I remember on my Storm 1you could touch and press the screen where the phone number was and add it to your contact list. You dont have that option on Storm 2 or am I missing something? Something else...When you add a new contact why does it always save the phone number in the "Work" portion of the contact list? Is there a way I can set it so it goes into my "Mobile" spot on my contact list without cut and paste? Thanks!
    07-22-10 09:47 PM
227 ... 678910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD