Hi folks. I've had my Storm2 since last fall (Verizon Wireless), but in the past couple of weeks, I'm wondering if something isn't up with my phone (or whether I'm just going nuts). Since I've had the phone, I've always had 3 or 4 bars around the house (all parts) and sub-90dBm. But the past week or so, the phone seems to be struggling to hold the 3G connection consistently (whether at home or on the go; I just noticed it at home because I was watching a movie in my basement and wanted to check IMDB on my phone and noticed it on 1X instead of 3G/BIS. My dBm are also generally in the 100 to 110 range. Maybe it always did this, and I just never paid close enough attention, but it seems odd that it would drop from 3G to 1x so frequently. WiFi seems to be okay, although since .607, it has a harder time picking up WiFi signals in some areas, especially at my university.

It isn't a huge deal, but it is disappointing when I want to, for example, look up something quickly after a lecture, and I can't load a page or it takes several minutes (or times out) because it can't seem to get a 3G/BIS connection. I had hoped .713 might have fixed this issue, but it doesn't seem any better.

My question is a.) is it normal for it to switch from 3G to 1x so often (and maybe I just never noticed) and b.) is there anything I could do to try and fix it, such as wiping the OS and starting with a fresh install?

Many thanks. Also, if I'm totally wrong on some of the terminology, I apologize.
    06-15-10 08:59 PM
    First thing I would try would be to dial *228 then press option 2. This will update roaming capabilities to ensure you are up to date with all the towers around your location.

Second I would personally remove the SIM card in the device, some flip it over, that is ok as well. This will make sure it is not mistakingly searching for a GSM signal at any point, causing the 3G to go away.
    06-15-10 09:02 PM
    First thing I would try would be to dial *228 then press option 2. This will update roaming capabilities to ensure you are up to date with all the towers around your location.

Second I would personally remove the SIM card in the device, some flip it over, that is ok as well. This will make sure it is not mistakingly searching for a GSM signal at any point, causing the 3G to go away.
    I tried the first step when I first started experiencing problems. Glad to know I was on the right track though.

As far as removing the SIM card, what exactly does that do and how would flipping it over effect the data signal performance?

Thanks for the quick reply!
    06-15-10 09:20 PM
    If you flip the SIM, the device will no longer search for the GSM signal since it will not read the SIM in the device.

It has helped me on the Tour and the Bold 2 on Verizon so far.
    06-15-10 09:27 PM
    OK, will give it a shot. Does it just disable the SIM card by doing this? I wonder why it would look for that GSM signal, since I have it set to use 1XEV...odd. Many thanks, I'll let you know what happens.
    06-15-10 09:34 PM
    I hope the SIM card trick works for you. I had the same issue with my first Storm2. It started dropping to 1X routinely in areas where my wife's Storm continued on 3G. Verizon replaced the phone as defective, and my new one hasn't had the problem.
    06-15-10 09:42 PM
    It seems odd that it would just start to happen now since I've had the phone for about 7 or 8 months, which is why I thought perhaps it was an OS issue, or that maybe it was just me and I had never noticed it switching back and forth between 3G and 1X. It just bothers me because I know in areas of my house I used to be able to access the web on 3G/BIS, now it usually times out and has a hard time finding a signal. I can still make calls, but data-wise it is coming up lame.
    06-15-10 09:45 PM
    i am getting the same problem with service a red triangle its like verizon is turning off data roaming so it doesnt have to pay anything extra even though when i called about it they say i should have access. going to another store today to see if i get a different story
    06-16-10 06:26 AM
    i am getting the same problem with service a red triangle its like verizon is turning off data roaming so it doesnt have to pay anything extra even though when i called about it they say i should have access. going to another store today to see if i get a different story
    You can turn on/off roaming data in the mobile network section under options. I turn it off simply to avoid charges.

Just as an update - tried the simcard trick, no luck. But I have a bit of a development. My father also has the identical model Storm2, except his is running .607 (I haven't gotten around to updating it). I did a blind test where I held the phones side-by-side and tried to access webpages on 3G/BIS (wifi turned off on both to ensure we were using the same network). Both of us had identical dBm readings, but my phone on average took an extra 10-30 seconds to load webpages.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't wipe the OS and try a clean install of .713 to see if that would help? Do you folks think that could possibly solve my radio problems? I'm trying to narrow down what could possibly be causing this issue. Again, thanks for the help.
    06-16-10 12:20 PM
    I am having the same exact issue. My friend with a Storm 1 is also having this issue, and it's only been happening to us since a month ago. I really think that this is VERIZON related, not BB related.
    06-16-10 05:10 PM
    ^ I had been thinking that would be a possibility as well but comparing it with my father's phone was a bit disheartening...I also made sure the browser settings/options were identical on both phones to ensure the test was as legit as possible. But with a 10 - 20 second gap, it really has me concerned something is wonky with the phone itself.

One observation is that on my father's S2, the pages loaded consistently (the bar moved without stopping) whereas my phone would stick along the way at various points...ugh.

I'm ready to wipe the phone. Would that be a fruitless gesture, or do y'all think that could help with these radio issues?
    06-16-10 07:03 PM
    Since I wrote a couple of days ago that my replacement Storm2 hadn't had problem, now it does. It drops to 1X, usually when it gets an email, several times a day. It's the same problem I had with the first one, and I could find no apparent reason other than a faulty device.
    06-17-10 02:01 PM
    Strangely enough, it's been going strongly on 3G for me all day today and when I ran another test with my other Storm2, they were virtually identical. I pretty much give up on trying to find the cause...I wonder if the 3G/1X designation is as useless as the bars are in terms of accuracy...
    06-17-10 05:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD