Hi all!

I am pretty much completely new to these forums, I only made an introductory post on the newbie forum. My question to all you Storm users is, is the Storm worth it?

I'm making the upgrade to a Blackberry this week, and after having done extensive research I decided on the Storm. I do freelance IT work, and I have managed blackberries before (just have never owned one) but after reading some of bad impressions of the Storm I'm a bit hesitant. I love the whole idea of the Storm and I love touch screen devices. I have also been told (by not so credible sources) that RIM will probably be giving up on the Storm because it's being considered a failure and they will focus on the new VZW handsets coming out later this year. Does this have any truth to it?

Thanks for your time to read this and thanks in advance for any advice.
    02-14-09 06:45 PM
    Yes, the storm is worth it. Its an excellent device, only flawed (in my opinion) by the current OFFICIALLY released operating systems. That of course, is easily fixed by using a leaked OS.
    02-14-09 06:48 PM
    Storm is amazing. Just download Sith's hybrid and your BlackBerry will fly

The Storm is also my first BlackBerry but I am glad I chose it. I've attempted typing on the Curve and I actually hated it, so *shrug* I owned the Verizon Voyager before that

Sith's OS, Poynt, QuickLaunch, Weatherbug and StormLock = awesome phone.

It's also exciting every time a leak comes out.
    02-14-09 06:51 PM
    Whether or not it's worth it to you is a personal decision only you can make. If you know anyone who has one, see if they'll let you play with it, otherwise try some VZW coprorate or authorized reseller stores.

As for the rumor, I would say it's a load of [email protected] Storm sales have far exceeded RIM's expectations, and they have been funneling quite a bit of effort into developing the OS for it. The two official VZW releases were a bit lacking, but there have been a number of unofficial leaked builds that have popped up here which have really improved the device considerably.

But if nothing else, VZW gives you 30 days to try the Storm out, and if you don't like it you can send it back and get something else. You just have to pay for the service you used. So, it should be pretty easy to get your hands on a Storm, and then spend 2-3 weeks playing with it to decide if it's for you or not. If not, no big deal, send it back and get something else.
    02-14-09 06:54 PM
    I have played with a couple of them from friends, and I've loved them, but I obviously didn't have it for a long enough time to get a real feel for the device, and the ones in the store are useless since they are set with god knows what, and see a grand amount of abuse from the other customers.

I was mostly worried about the fact that RIM was gonna give up on the phone, and I'd be stuck with something that isn't really seeing a healthy amount of support for 2 years. (Since I only upgrade with my contract renewal).

Appreciate the advice everyone.

EDIT: How many of you guys have experienced the dust issue with the screen? I already bought the Innocase II and holster with a screen guard, but I have heard (or read) that it doesn't protect the screen from getting dust beneath it. Have you guys not had this problem?
    Last edited by Kylazin; 02-14-09 at 07:05 PM.
    02-14-09 07:00 PM
    I almost did it. After having played with the thing 4 different days. And each time the phone seemed buggier. Slow,lag,hourglass,etc. But I was willing to try it and then I was told it did not have wifi. I did not do my research on the phone like I normally would. So I walked next door to ATT and looked at the Bold again but after the bold would not play you tube and the internet looked like my 8830 internet , I opted for the other phone (I).
    So my bb's are out in the pasture as backups.
    02-14-09 07:06 PM
    I have not had the screen issue at all. I ordered the II with Holster combo last night and its otw.
    02-14-09 07:10 PM
    I almost did it. After having played with the thing 4 different days. And each time the phone seemed buggier. Slow,lag,hourglass,etc. But I was willing to try it and then I was told it did not have wifi. I did not do my research on the phone like I normally would. So I walked next door to ATT and looked at the Bold again but after the bold would not play you tube and the internet looked like my 8830 internet , I opted for the other phone (I).
    So my bb's are out in the pasture as backups.
    I am not a fan of the Iphone (as I consider it an ipod with phone capabilities, and since I help run some BES servers for a couple of school systems and small companies, I prefer to be with a BB, plus I'm married to Verizon) so BB is the logical choice for me.
    02-14-09 07:28 PM
    Honestly, you wont really know until you play with it for a while. I was really on the fence when I got mine. I came from a Curve, which I absolutely loved. I wouldnt say the Storm is a workhorse by any means, but it works. I definetely think the newer builds work better than the older ones.
    02-14-09 07:45 PM
    I've always had a blackbery, the storm to me is okay but it would be better if the screen was a normal touch screen and didn't do the dumb click thing. It really hinders speed and typing. For me running the .76 OS is totally stable, its a bit slow but never glitches or anything. I tried the hybrid ons and it would always freeze or I'd type 5 characters and have to wait 15 seconds as one letter appeared every 5 seconds. For me the biggest thing though is the typing, on other blackberries I can type so fast, the storm you really have to go slow and it makes me not want to anymore. I never used to have a problem before typing long emails or messages to people, now though I find its more of a hassle so I don't know, it's an okay phone but I wish Telus had the iPhone and i'd be all over it.
    02-14-09 07:47 PM
    I have had the Storm since day one and love it. I do not have a gripe at all with this phone. But................with saying that I also have to say that you are the only one that can decide if this is the phone that is "worth" it to you. You can ask 100 people on here if the Storm is worth it and 50 will say yes and 50 will say no.
    02-14-09 07:57 PM
    I have the dust under the screen but honestly it doesn't bother me one bit. You can barely see the dust unless your phone is completely off or there is a screen that is all black or all white (which still isn't noticeable enough for it to bother me).

Like adamrichter said half the people you ask will like the phone and half hate it. I love it but I could see where people would hate it. When you just get the phone it takes some getting used to but once you get used to the typing and touch screen it's amazing.
    02-14-09 08:40 PM
    Had the Storm since mid Jan and I am totally impressed even when running 0.76. It's my first BB and prior to this I had avoided them like the plague!!Easy to get used too as I had not had a button style QWERTY keyboard before so my transition was very easy.
    I upped the OS to .103 and this thing flies. Meets every expectation I had and then some. With better software from RIM expected over the coming months and the introduction of themes has me loving this thing even more.
    Sooo take the plunge!!!!!
    02-14-09 09:20 PM
    I've always had a blackbery, the storm to me is okay but it would be better if the screen was a normal touch screen and didn't do the dumb click thing. It really hinders speed and typing. For me running the .76 OS is totally stable, its a bit slow but never glitches or anything. I tried the hybrid ons and it would always freeze or I'd type 5 characters and have to wait 15 seconds as one letter appeared every 5 seconds. For me the biggest thing though is the typing, on other blackberries I can type so fast, the storm you really have to go slow and it makes me not want to anymore. I never used to have a problem before typing long emails or messages to people, now though I find its more of a hassle so I don't know, it's an okay phone but I wish Telus had the iPhone and i'd be all over it.
    It depends on personal preference. I love the click screen. My biggest gripe about the iPhone and iPod Touch is that I'll accidentally activate links or apps when I really just meant to slide or move whats on the screen.
    02-14-09 10:28 PM
    From someone who has been using Windows Mobile converged devices for the past 10 years or so, I can tell you the Storm is worth it. This is my very first BB and I absolutely love, even though I am still running the original .75 OS.

My only complaint is that I cannot access the SD card directly through USB cable, without running Desktop Manager. But this is a minor inconvenience.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-09 10:37 PM
    Storm is definetely worth it
    02-14-09 10:47 PM
    You have to test it. It's heavy, has =I believe a glass screen, looks delicate---and I love it. The only other BB's I've had are 7520.8703e and I'm familiar with the Curves. I have a leather holster and no other screen protectors.
    02-14-09 10:49 PM
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. Come Thursday I'm gonna take the plunge.
    02-14-09 11:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD