I have a refurbed Verizon Storm which i got from as a replacement phone from verizon when my old one broke. i am running the newest leaked OS 141. I was playing around with my girlfriends bold, and i tried her SIM card in my storm and it worked. I didnt think that could happen if the phone wasnt unlocked. could i have gotten a refurbed unlocked storm? i was also able to make calls and BBMs without a SIM card all together. whats the deal?
    05-01-09 08:52 PM
    I have a refurbed Verizon Storm which i got from as a replacement phone from verizon when my old one broke. i am running the newest leaked OS 141. I was playing around with my girlfriends bold, and i tried her SIM card in my storm and it worked. I didnt think that could happen if the phone wasnt unlocked. could i have gotten a refurbed unlocked storm? i was also able to make calls and BBMs without a SIM card all together. whats the deal?
    Simple. Your Verizon service is CDMA, which doesn't use a SIM card at all. No CDMA phones use SIM cards. The Storm has a SIM card because it's a world phone (has both CDMA and GSM radios inside), in the Storms case the GSM function is only unlocked by default for Vodafone if I am not mistaken. So you were just making calls on the Verizon CDMA network, the SIM card didn't enter into the equation at all.

EDIT: All this is assuming you activated the refurb before this all happened. If not, somehow it was never deactivated and you were making calls on someone elses account. I doubt your referb was unlocked.
    05-01-09 08:55 PM
    if you are on verizon, you don't need a sim card. works off of cmda signal
    05-01-09 08:57 PM
    right, so obvious. thanks
    05-01-09 09:03 PM
    Not a problem at all.....
    05-01-09 09:04 PM
    you only need to put the sim card back in if you go out of the u. s a., they work off of gsm
    05-01-09 09:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD