I don't believe that this has always been the case but, recently, when the USB cable is connected and without regard to whether or not the other end of the cable is plugged into the laptop, incoming calls are received (visual notification) but there is no ring signal. Am using software version 4.7.0.75 with Verizon, paying for the tether service which works quite well with my Mac.

Thought bedside mode might be an issue but it makes no difference whether bedside mode is or is not set to come on when the charger is connected or whether or not it is turned off or on from the menu. Bedside mode is set to disable the LED, not disable the radio and to dim the screen. It appears to work as expected except for the lack of a ring. As I have no landline, I rely on the Storm for all my phone services so would appreciate an audible notification of incoming calls. Any help would be appreciated.
    01-29-09 12:06 AM
    Strange. Is your DM open when this happens?
    01-29-09 08:13 AM
    The Storm does not ring when connected to USB, especially if you have a custom ringtone. This has been discussed ad nauseum
    01-29-09 08:40 AM
    The Storm does not ring when connected to USB, especially if you have a custom ringtone. This has been discussed ad nauseum
    running .75 and last night i got a call while adding files to my phone and it worked. custom ringtone and everything.
    01-29-09 12:37 PM
    This seems like the dumbest thing ever. What is the logic behind this.

I have the same issue, except once it rang with a tone that I have never used before.
    01-29-09 01:13 PM
    In my case if Mass Storage Mode is ON there is no vibe and no ring. You can visually see that there is an incoming call if you happen to be looking at the phone at the right time.

If Mass Storage Mode is OFF then the phone both vibes and rings.
    01-29-09 04:08 PM
    This seems like the dumbest thing ever. What is the logic behind this.

I have the same issue, except once it rang with a tone that I have never used before.
    Why is it dumb? The Storm must access the files on the media card or on the internal 1GB of media storage to play the custom ringer you are using. When you enter Mass Storage mode, that file is locked out because access to the files have been given to your PC. The phone cannot access a path location that's active under Mass Storage mode. It's always been like this... on any past Blackberry.
    01-29-09 04:22 PM
    your mass media mode is on
    01-29-09 04:26 PM
    Why is it dumb? The Storm must access the files on the media card or on the internal 1GB of media storage to play the custom ringer you are using. When you enter Mass Storage mode, that file is locked out because access to the files have been given to your PC. The phone cannot access a path location that's active under Mass Storage mode. It's always been like this... on any past Blackberry.
    I believe you are correct.
    01-29-09 04:29 PM
    Thanks, problem solved. I changed Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected from Yes to Prompt. With Mass Storage disabled, the phone rings while tethered to the laptop. I also appreciate the explanation of why this is so. Thanks, Civic.
    01-30-09 01:13 AM
    There is a fix by copying ringtones to the local system folder. Just do a search on the forum, however I think RIM fixed the issue in OS .90 at least. I now get a standard ring tone when in mass storage mode.
    01-31-09 03:16 PM
    because it makes your phone not ring when you get a call

thats why it is dumb.

its a phone.
    02-01-09 03:11 PM
    Its not dumb thats just the way it is.
    02-01-09 03:53 PM
    Thanks, hudss, moving my ringtone to the local files also solved the problem. Been too busy to try the pre-release versions and my searches for information prior to starting this thread were non-productive - perhaps I misphrased my query. In any case, I appreciate the help I received here.
    02-03-09 01:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD