I'm having trouble getting my Storm to automatically download images in e-mails. I have both of my accounts set to do it automatically in the settings but it never works.

Every time I receive an HTML e-mail or e-mail with attachments I have to manually go to 'get images' and then it warns me about showing my address.

Is there any way to get this to automatically work? It seems like it should but isn't functioning for some reason..

Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks
    03-16-09 07:19 AM
    It is not going to. It is a memory conservation technique that blackberry uses. All emails are stored on the application memory.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 07:45 AM
    If that's the case, why is there the option?!
    03-16-09 03:12 PM
    its also a security issue according to Blackberry. Agreed though, the option is useless if they never plan on enabling it.
    03-16-09 03:21 PM
    would be nice though
    03-16-09 03:21 PM
    Images stored within the email itself are downloaded with the option selected. Images which are not imbedded in the email itself must be retrieved for security sake. These have nothing to do with the option. Plenty of threads on this.
    03-16-09 04:39 PM
    Images stored within the email itself are downloaded with the option selected. Images which are not imbedded in the email itself must be retrieved for security sake. These have nothing to do with the option. Plenty of threads on this.
    well yea of course, but the option he was referring to referrs to html images. hence the answer. simple.
    03-16-09 05:19 PM
    well yea of course, but the option he was referring to referrs to html images. hence the answer. simple.
    Some light reading:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/how...emails-111456/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/ema...ng-you-108545/

An excerpt from one of the links: "It works, just not in all cases. It works if the images in your email are coming from the same domain as the sender. If the images are hosted on a diff server, then you have to manually select download pictures regardless of your setting."
    Hope this helps ...."
    Last edited by Ultrafied; 03-16-09 at 05:54 PM.
    03-16-09 05:49 PM
    Thanks for the reply guys, unfortunate that this doesnt work.. they don't make that obvious.. seems like a pretty simple feature and I'm really not worried about 'security'...
    03-18-09 07:11 AM
    This is dead on. Images can be both in the HTML email (embedded) itself as well as on a remote server and the email just houses the URL to it. The remote ones are the images that don't download automatically, all the other ones (embedded ones) will. This is what that option controls.
    03-18-09 09:28 AM
    If that's the case, why is there the option?!
    In time, you'll learn that the Storm has a lot of "phantom options" i.e. options that are non-functioning. Maybe this is RIM's idea of infusing a little "fun" into your Blackberry experience by making you guess which options are functioning and which options do absolutely nothing at all! It's kind of like Blackberry Roulette in that way.
    03-18-09 09:43 AM
    hehehe.... phantom options... I like that!
    03-18-09 09:50 AM
    In time, you'll learn that the Storm has a lot of "phantom options" i.e. options that are non-functioning. Maybe this is RIM's idea of infusing a little "fun" into your Blackberry experience by making you guess which options are functioning and which options do absolutely nothing at all! It's kind of like Blackberry Roulette in that way.
    Name one....
    03-18-09 09:54 AM
    Name one....
    "automatically download images" being located in the mail settings as the OP originally noted.

If "automatically download images" automatically downloads images with the proviso that it only automatically downloads images some of the time according to what server the images are located on (a ludicrous attempt at preserving "security"), then technically the control does not do what it claims to do. If the user wants to over-ride the "security" feature by allowing all images to automatically download according to the option they are choosing, then they should be able to.

Would you like me to name another?
    03-18-09 10:02 AM
    "automatically download images" being located in the mail settings as the OP originally noted.

If "automatically download images" automatically downloads images with the proviso that it only automatically downloads images some of the time according to what server the images are located on (a ludicrous attempt at preserving "security"), then technically the control does not do what it claims to do. If the user wants to over-ride the "security" feature by allowing all images to automatically download according to the option they are choosing, then they should be able to.

I already told you why it's like that above. How about you disable automatic image download and then tell me why your embedded images in an HTML email don't automatically display. End of story.... and yes, I'd like you to name another. This time pick something that you understand better please.

Also, this auto image download stuff is like that on ALL 4.5+ Blackberries.... nothing new to the Storm.
    03-18-09 10:05 AM
    I for one am waiting with baited breath. I can just imagine the poster frantically pressing options on their storm trying to find an option that doesn't work (doesn't understand). ;-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 10:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD