So a friend of mine just got an unlocked 9530 off ebay. She was previous using a pearl with the big V. However she has tried several times to go in store to have them activate it and called CS. She can receive texts and phone calls but cant use any data features. The storm isnt saying Verizon as its carrier. It instead shows a triangle which verizon said is roaming. The problem is *228 wont activate the phone when in roaming. Does crackberry have any ideas why this storm wont activate fully?
    09-23-09 09:17 AM
    The PIN is probably still associated with the old owner's account so it can't authenticate with VZW's BIS. I'll look for the threads but I've read a couple of times that there is a way to get the PIN moved over to the new account. I just can't remember if VZW does it or if the previous owner needs to do it.
    09-23-09 09:22 AM
    I think the previous owner has to call and have the PIN released. I would guess they have to call their carrier, but I'm not sure.
    09-23-09 09:47 AM
    Are Data Services off when roaming? Maybe that is preventing it.

Manage Connections->Mobile Network Options->Data Services.
    09-23-09 03:45 PM
    the roaming info has nothing to do with the PIN being released...the BIS profile would not activate if the PIN was still reserved, but the carrier based services would still work, calls, sms, etc...

you need to tell your friend to travel to a VZW home coverage area to program the phone completely...then once they go back to extended network, everything will be good to go

this is something VZW should have told them btw
    09-23-09 05:55 PM
    I live in Alaska and when we receive our phones from VZW thats excactly how it is, calls and SMS but nothing else, until we travel to a VZW home calling area, not an extended digital area. Now AK does have 3G and it works great, once you travel to a destination in the lower 48 as we say. as soon as i reached the continental US this summer my phone automatically registered on the server. then when i returned to AK it still worked.
    09-23-09 06:39 PM
    I live in Milwaukee which has great verizon coverage. I traveled around town with her while we were trying to activate it. How can I find a location that is home calling area?
    09-27-09 01:24 PM
    Have her get her old Pearl and dial ##000000 Send and look for HomeSID number on that screen. Then have her dial the same thing on the Storm and if it's not the same, have her change it and hit Menu/Save. The phone will reboot. Once done, she should be able to dial *228 to OTA it.

Also, if she can make calls from it, then there are no issues with the OTA provisioning for it, except for maybe the PRL (roaming list) being out of date... maybe. I would still check the HomeSID info if there were no issues with her Pearl. If she still cannot make a data connection, even when in a proper service area (non-roaming), then the PIN may be blacklisted... a call to RIM will tell you this.
    09-27-09 01:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD