Deleted Thread.
    Last edited by httrdd; 01-22-09 at 01:41 AM.
    01-17-09 11:16 PM
    i was having a problem with the battery life on my storm also. turning off the gps helped alittle. after returning my first storm for screen issues, ive been cautious with what i put on and do with my new one. i have a few apps on the storm now mostly games and youtube, and it runs great. the only apps i found that drained my battery fast were the weatherbug, easy nav, and slacker. im not sure why but since they arent on there anymore, alls gravy. and remember when your playing games and using apps press the bb button and click close. hope this helps someone.

looking forward to your results!!
    01-17-09 11:24 PM
    What test results? You serious???
    Gee.. LEts see... No apps... no bluetooth..... no gps... not much surfing... not doing much on the phone.. battery is lasting a long time... IMAGINE THAT..

Thanks for your experiment.
    01-17-09 11:29 PM
    You stripped your "smartphone" of all it's brains?!?
    01-17-09 11:31 PM
    I have my replacement Storm stripped of any 3rd party apps and it is runnign better than ever! I have not had to pull bat/reset since I got it 7 days ago and it is only at 33mb! I started off with 45mb on .75 and my other phone never went above 38mb.

My new Storm held battery life for 2 days now and I am only at 50%, but I have not been using it as much (no apps to play with). I am going to try putting apps on one at a time to see the changes in memory. The apps I had before were Weather Bug, Google Maps, Talklok, Nav4all, Graphing Calculator, and You Tube. I know I had alot of crap, but do 3rd party apps really drain the battery and memory that much?

I will be updating you all with the results from a bare phone to the same loaded apps one at a time.
    This preoccupation with free memory is just ridiculous. I bet if you asked people how much free memory was on their desktop PC, most people wouldn't even know where to look.

Just because your phone gets to 45 MB free memory, doesn't mean its running better than a phone with 30MB free memory. And as a previous poster said, so you basically stripped down one of the greatest smartphones on the market and took away a good chunk of what makes it so great (3rd party apps, GPS, etc) just to chase a memory stat.
    01-17-09 11:33 PM
    I am putting back all of the apps I had on my old one, but the purpose of this is to see which 3rd party apps have the most memory leak and which ones drain the battery the most. I am putting them on one at a time, use for a day or two, delete then load another. i have heard reports of mem leaks and bat drain from apps, but I am doing this from a bare phone for true results! If you don't care then move on to the next thread! Thanks!
    01-18-09 12:02 AM
    What test results? You serious???
    Gee.. LEts see... No apps... no bluetooth..... no gps... not much surfing... not doing much on the phone.. battery is lasting a long time... IMAGINE THAT..

Thanks for your experiment.
    jitterbug
    01-18-09 12:06 AM
    I've got YouTube, ESPN2GO, Weatherbug, TalkLock, and Google Maps and I'm still sitting that 45mb free.
    01-18-09 12:12 AM
    That would have been an issue with the older 8XXX blackberries but not now. I've got 16 apps on my 8900 that a use a lot and I have yet to see a slow down of my phones overall speed. Plus the storm has a faster processor

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-09 12:14 AM
    kinda defeats the purpose of having a BB. i have the .85 leaked and i use my storm all day long and i use quite a bit of apps on it and it runs fine even when its down to like 20MBs of memory.
    01-18-09 12:20 AM
    not tryin to flame or anything but i guess some storms get choked up easily and some dont.
    01-18-09 12:26 AM
    I understand that free memory will not effect the operation that much but which apps are leaking that much mem in a day to have to do a reset for the best operation? Here is an example.... Why when I am playing Brick Breaker and the memory is 20mb it starts to slow down (freeze) for a little while and when it is at 38-40mb there is no freezing?
    01-18-09 12:31 AM
    i some apps take more juice than others. brick breaker is a game with lots of visual effects and what not so im guessing thats probably why it happens. i dont even play brick breaker anymore im thinking of taking it off. not that i dont like it i just dont have the time in the day to play so why waste the space and memory. i can always re-download it. another example is when i use DocsToGo regardless if its regular or premium. ppt takes juice and it slows it down. but that also depends on the size of the file too. if you really dont need it, dont install it.
    01-18-09 12:35 AM
    Wake me up when the latest OS leak or official update is out............I'm bored with the same f%^*ing discussions......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Oh, same topic....zzzzz ...................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    01-18-09 12:40 AM
    Wake me up when the latest OS leak or official update is out............I'm bored with the same f%^*ing discussions......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Oh, same topic....zzzzz ...................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    How about I wake you up with a cold bucket of water and tell you to stay out like a bum (troll)! Lol!
    01-18-09 12:53 AM
    jitterbug
    Hahaha jitterbug. Anyway its great that u are getting good battery life and snappy performance. I have had all the apps that u had on ur previous phone and for what
    its worth none of them seem to cause any performance issues with my phone. Good luck with the test, waiting on the results...

Last edited by misdeismo; 01-18-09 at 01:00 AM.
    01-18-09 12:57 AM
    It may work really well but some of the fun of a PDA is third party apps. Glad to read things are going well though

01-18-09 01:02 AM
    How about I wake you up with a cold bucket of water and tell you to stay out like a bum (troll)! Lol!
    I actually love my Storm. I was just dumping on the non Storm people.
    01-18-09 03:06 AM
    I actually love my Storm. I was just dumping on the non Storm people.
    Scratch that previous response non Storm users........I posted my reply in the wrong forum. I meant that response for another forum meant for THOSE non Storm users....not THESE non STORM users.
    01-18-09 03:11 AM
    For reference, I am running .85 with the following 3rd Party apps and am seeing almost zero "leaking":

Garmin
    VVM
    VY Mail
    Tiltris
    InstaMapper
    G-Sync
    Aim
    Facecook
    Y!M
    Opera
    StormLock
    Beam Reader
    WeatherBug
    Soft Reset
    01-18-09 10:14 AM
    I'll chime in, i'm running .86 and have 47.7 MB free after a battery pull. After 2-3 days of heavy use I usually have around 38 MB free i'm running:

Capture It
    Gmail App
    Mobile Banking
    Opera Mini
    Quick Pull
    Weather Bug
    Wall Street Journal
    You Tube App
    AP Mobile News Reader
    01-18-09 11:08 AM
    Just wanted to suggest this for sour experiment:

1. Delete all third party applications - CHECK
    2. Delete all first and second party applications
    3. Turn off Bluetooth, GPS, and network antennas
    4. Turn phone off
    5. Put phone back in box and don't touch it
    6. Report your finding of your 'test'

I'd just like to know much battery life you have then.

01-18-09 11:34 AM
    Just wanted to suggest this for sour experiment:

1. Delete all third party applications - CHECK
    2. Delete all first and second party applications
    3. Turn off Bluetooth, GPS, and network antennas
    4. Turn phone off
    5. Put phone back in box and don't touch it
    6. Report your finding of your 'test'

I'd just like to know much battery life you have then.

The result is that your battery is simultaneously at 100% and 0% (and everywhere in between).

I wonder if anyone will get that...
    01-18-09 11:37 AM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    01-18-09 11:45 AM
    Yeah, I'm not really understanding the supposed significance of the experiment. Why not just put whatever 3rd party apps one wants, have some fun and maybe learn something from those apps and live life and not freak out about the memory?

Mine is at 12.9 mb before doing a batt pull and i have a sh!tload of apps and my phone runs just fine.

Enjoy your fun experiment.
    01-18-09 01:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD