I might be mistaken but I ran across this article while surfing the net. I recently sold my storm not because I didn't like, as a matter of fact I loved it but I needed some cash at the time. I'm thinking about getting the iphone in the summer, but wanted to do some research about new versions coming out. And there are rumors that they might come out with a new iphone (or new version) in the summer or winter of this year. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing MAC has a patent to the multi-touch function of the touchscreen.

Website : Apple Awarded iPhone and Multi-Touch Patent - Mac Rumors
    01-30-09 01:01 PM
    The Storm is already out so it's no big deal. I find it perfectly functional without multi-touch. Who this really hurts is Palm. Not sure Palm can withstand any problems to their Pre without suffering economic ruin.
    01-30-09 01:05 PM
    ^The Pre is the only thing holding Palm above waters
    01-30-09 01:32 PM
    The Storm already has multi touch!!!

It's called cut and paste.

Also to select text in some apps.

Also to select messages and delete them.

Don't read too much into the patent rumors. Mostly fanboy speculation.
    01-30-09 02:05 PM
    Never Say Never Again. Wise man said that...Bond something...
    01-30-09 02:07 PM
    The Storm already has multi touch!!!

It's called cut and paste.

Also to select text in some apps.

Also to select messages and delete them.

Don't read too much into the patent rumors. Mostly fanboy speculation.
    I posted this in a rant thread the otherday but I think its worth posting again seeing as this keeps coming up.

Yes The patent is real and yes the storm has multi-touch. here is the link to the actuall patent.

United States Patent: 7479949

The claims toward the bottom lay out what the patent protects. It is not as all encompassing as some think. It lays out the exact motion of the finger and how it is swiped. A slight change in relation to angle and function is all you need to get around claims 4, 5, and 6. I'm sure all of them can be dealt with while keeping the same functionality. What this means is that any other company will need to come up with there own take and methodology on the process.

Multi touch can still be implemented. Apple got around a few patents on the subject as well claiming theirs was slightly different, and aside from the phrase "perfectly horizontal" it is not.
    01-30-09 02:12 PM
    Here is a user comment:

First, as others have pointed out, this is *not* a patent, it's a published patent application and grants no IP rights to Apple.

Second, (also as others have pointed out) this application was filed in Sept. 2007. Moreover, it also claims priority to applications filed in June 2007, Jan. 2007, and Sept. 2006.

Third, the claims of this application (which is all that matters when determining the scope of IP rights) seem to be directed at the iPhone's multitouch feature, which in Sept. 2006 probably was a new invention, particularly in a mobile phone.
    Last edited by Jascias; 01-31-09 at 12:38 AM.
    01-30-09 02:14 PM
    lol i love reading what you storm owners have to say about all the "negative" storm posts...its friggin better than TV!
    01-30-09 02:21 PM
    Getting defensive or not. But when simple ignorance comes in to play and one makes the claim that is not true. People do have to step in and point the fault out.

Storm indeed dose have Multi-touch, its just not used as aggressively as iphone dose. At the moment there is not much use for the feature other then selecting text and emails. Also multi-touch dose not faction all that well for tactile part of the screen.
    01-30-09 02:48 PM
    I never meant to point out any flaws or downside of the storm. I just remembered someone pointing out the storm should have a good version of the multi-touch (where you can pinch the web in and out to zoom). Plus I don't even have the storm anymore to complain about. I just stumbled upon a article that I thought was interesting. Don't get all fired up now.
    Last edited by natedizzle; 01-30-09 at 02:55 PM.
    01-30-09 02:53 PM
    STORM HAS MULTI TOUCH DUH SLEECETING EMAILS AND STUFFZ PLUS SELECTING COPY AND PASTEE SO STOP POSTING DIS SlANDeR!!!!!1

/sarcasm off.

How was that kehlerpa?
    01-30-09 02:56 PM
    classic-thank you, thank you very much! lol
    01-30-09 02:58 PM
    classic-thank you, thank you very much! lol
    lol, its better then you're bold.
    01-31-09 12:40 AM
    Jascias I can respect your love for the Storm but there's not a chance in **** that its better than my Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-09 01:09 AM
    Engadget posted up a good analysis of the latest Apple multi-touch patent a few days ago, for which they consulted with an actual patent attorney. I really think everyone should read it before opening their mouths about this topic any more than they already have (that wasn't directed at anyone in the thread specifically - just a general assertion; uneducated discourse does nobody any good).

Apple vs. Palm: the in-depth analysis - Engadget
    01-31-09 02:07 AM
    Jascias I can respect your love for the Storm but there's not a chance in **** that its better than my Bold.

Well lets agree to disagree, lol, Storm still better tho. Proof being, you have to troll around here finding so call flaws with the storm to make your self feel good about your bold. Shows that you have lack of confidence in what you bought.
    Last edited by Jascias; 01-31-09 at 02:22 AM.
    01-31-09 02:17 AM
    fair enough my friend, fair enough!
    01-31-09 02:19 AM

I'd have to say the screen size on the Storm is better than the Bold. Talk time is longer, camera has higher resolution, camera has auto focus, SureType keyboard. Now, these things aren't better because it's my opinion, these are actual physical specification differences that make the Storm better. Yes, the Bold does have it's positives as well, such as WiFi and a more stable OS(for now), but the list of "betters" on the Bold does not even compare to the list of "betters" on the Storm. You can't really use opinions to say it is better, cause everyone is different. Something that works well for you, may not work well for me. But to say there's no chance the Storm is better than the Bold is just not true. Just your opinion of the Bold is better.
    01-31-09 02:59 AM
    SureType keyboard.
    I'd have to say that the SureType keyboard is a matter of opinion. Yes, it's a matter of fact that SureType is there on the Storm and not on the Bold, but I've known people who swear by SureType, and I've known those who hate it with the burning hot fury of a million suns.
    01-31-09 03:13 AM
    thank you deepsky94 for your in-depth explanation-but if you read back further in this thread youll see that we have been messin' around with eachother all day and that im not actually proclaiming judgement on the matter but teasingly prolonging the banter of which phone is "better".

Jeez c'mon people...really?!?!
    01-31-09 03:28 AM
    you storm people are truly crazy, and Jascias your carrying the torch and leading the way...very funny tho!

and yes Jascias your right im just pointing out flaws with the Storm...by the way did you even read this whole thread? i never said one bad thing about the Storm...i just said many of the owners are a bunch of crazies who flip out when people talk bad about the storm! know your facts before you go flinging your bs around.

Seriously what the ****...
    01-31-09 03:33 AM
    you storm people are truly crazy, and Jascias your carrying the torch and leading the way...very funny tho!

and yes Jascias your right im just pointing out flaws with the Storm...by the way did you even read this whole thread? i never said one bad thing about the Storm...i just said many of the owners are a bunch of crazies who flip out when people talk bad about the storm! know your facts before you go flinging your bs around.

Seriously what the ****...
    No your just one who likes to instigate (defined: To stir up-To goad), to make yourself feel better. One must look at himself, before casting blame on others. Your above remarks just shows that if you're not gonna be part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
    Last edited by Jascias; 01-31-09 at 03:49 AM.
    01-31-09 03:44 AM
    What...? Alright man...I'm speechless...

01-31-09 03:47 AM
    No your just one who likes to instigate (defined: To stir up-To goad), to make yourself feel better. One must look at himself, before casting blame on others. Your above remarks just shows that if you're not gonna be part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
    I wouldn't take too much stock in someone who's never owned a Storm, never used a Storm, is stuck on an inferior network (AT&T), and owns the 2 flagship models of that line (Bold/iPhone).

Envy clouds judgment and some people just get their jollies trying to rile up others. We enjoy our Storms and the true sign of being content is that we don't feel the need to go to the Bold and iPhone forums trying to instigate fights.

Reviled by Reviewers, BlackBerry's Storm Rages On | Gadget Lab from Wired.com

"The Storm has been the subject of a tremendous ad campaign by Verizon," says Avi Greengart, an analyst with research firm Current Analysis. "So if you are a user at Verizon it is one of the most exciting devices to have."

It's all jealousy baby. Hate what you can't have. It won't decrease the enthusiasm we have for our phones.
    01-31-09 08:48 AM
    I will repeat what I've already said before: I have not said one bad thing about the Storm-look back at this entire thread-i said nothing commenting on the storm. My comment was on how SOME storm users get crazy and go off in these threads when someone DOES post negative comments about the storm. And some of you have done nothing but prove me right.
    Oh and my brother has a storm and I have had the pleasure of playing with it-and though I do have my own opinions about it I will once again say nothing negative about it-and then watch this thread as a few of you continue to go after me as if I have said so many negative things about a device you own.

If I really wanted a Verizon phone my friends, I would just get one-as simple as that.
    I hope all of you have a wonderful Saturday.

01-31-09 09:45 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD