Are these instructions correct?

BlackBerry Storm Wiki: Set up Gmail IMAP

On step 2 "With your Storm's Browser goto Verizon's BIS site: BlackBerry Internet Service (Storm's Browser is used, to bypass having to manually login to BIS site)" I have to enter the user name and password.

What gives?
    12-14-08 12:33 PM

On step 2 "With your Storm's Browser goto Verizon's BIS site: BlackBerry Internet Service (Storm's Browser is used, to bypass having to manually login to BIS site)" I have to enter the user name and password.

What gives?
    By default you don't have a username and password setup for the BIS site, so if you go to the BIS site using your phone it logs in automatically for you. But you can't log in using a PC. If you've previously created a username and password to log into the BIS site, probably so you can create a filter to prevent Gmail sent messages from appearing in your inbox, you'll have to type in your username and password every time to log in, including on your phone's browser.
    12-14-08 01:18 PM
    Thank you.

So that means I am out of luck. I tried clearing cache and still no go. I have to put in the user name and password.

Any other ideas?
    12-14-08 02:32 PM
    Didnt work for me either.
    12-14-08 03:30 PM
    entering the wrong password wouldn't bring me to the advanced settings option. what do i do? already disabled POP and enabled IMAP, followed the other steps. but it wouldn't let me set the port # etc.
    12-15-08 12:37 PM
    entering the wrong password wouldn't bring me to the advanced settings option. what do i do? already disabled POP and enabled IMAP, followed the other steps. but it wouldn't let me set the port # etc.
    After you set up the account you go back into it and go to advanced options.
    12-15-08 12:51 PM
    Well the wiki had been updated today with instructions and i JUST followed the instructions and it worked great for me!
    12-15-08 02:33 PM
    This needs to be added to the WIKI if it's not there already since so many people have trouble with this part.

To create that magical account that will let you log into the BIS site, create the account from your Storm.

BB Menu > Setup > Email Settings

That will launch the on-Storm email setup. Hit the BB Menu and select "Create Account" - then you'll be able to use the new account to log into BIS from your desktop/laptop browser.
    12-15-08 02:56 PM
    Step 2 now reads "With your Storm's Browser goto Verizon's BIS site: BlackBerry Internet Service (MUST do on a computer browser)". So, which is it: storm's browser or a PC browser? Why would it matter either way?
    12-15-08 03:28 PM
    Well the wiki had been updated today with instructions and i JUST followed the instructions and it worked great for me!
    Really? Not to be picky but...

2. With your Storm's Browser goto Verizon's BIS site: BlackBerry Internet Service (MUST do on a computer browser0
    So which is it? from the Storm's Browser or your Computer's browser? because that statement says BOTH.

And if its from a Computer rather than on the storm, you must enter a user id/password before you can get into where you can do anything with email accounts. And the next few steps are a little off too.

Now, if its meant to be done on the storm, then the instructions on that wiki are definately wrong.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 12-15-08 at 03:37 PM.
    12-15-08 03:31 PM
    Really? Not to be picky but...

So which is it? from the Storm's Browser or your Computer's browser? because that statement says BOTH.

And if its from a Computer rather than on the storm, you must enter a user id/password before you can get into where you can do anything with email accounts. And the next few steps are a little off too.

Now, if its meant to be done on the storm, then the instructions on that wiki are definately wrong.

you are right. the statement is ambiguous and i didnt pick that up till you guys mentioned it. Luckly if anyone has HALF a brain then they can figure out that step even though it wasnt very clear. I mean seriously if you couldnt use some basic problem solving skills to figure that out, then a) you're an *****, b) a bb storm may be too complicated for you to use and you should go get an iphone or dumbphone

Mark.. i know/hope youre not trying to intentionally be a ****, (or maybe you are) but if you know so much it would be helpful to go to the wiki and just edit it so it would have said the right thing already rather than trolling 15 posts on this site saying how the instructions are wrong. Like seriously bro, how old are you?
    Last edited by ddarvish; 12-16-08 at 02:17 AM.
    12-16-08 02:13 AM
    you are right. the statement is ambiguous and i didnt pick that up till you guys mentioned it. Luckly if anyone has HALF a brain then they can figure out that step even though it wasnt very clear. I mean seriously if you couldnt use some basic problem solving skills to figure that out, then a) you're an *****, b) a bb storm may be too complicated for you to use and you should go get an iphone or dumbphone
    But isn't the wiki meant for people who are having troubles figuring things out? people who need help?

Isn't it so they can have a resource to turn to with all the information in one place?
    Mark.. i know/hope youre not trying to intentionally be a ****, (or maybe you are) but if you know so much it would be helpful to go to the wiki and just edit it so it would have said the right thing already rather than trolling 15 posts on this site saying how the instructions are wrong.
    You said you just followed it, but its obvious you haven't followed it closely if you just picked up the problem with that statement now.. (it was also mentioned in one of those other threads you accuse me of trolling in)

I'm not trolling, and no I'm not trying to be anything. I read every thread, and post helpful information when I can, or when no one else has answered yet. Anyone who knows me from Hofo knows that.

I'm sorry if you can't accept criticism and my differing opinion of the wiki's value.

I'm sorry that you have created a wiki, point people to it, have said how great a resource it is, can't accept constructive criticism, and can't take the time to look it over to find and correct mistakes, even when they have been pointed out to you on several occasions. I'm sorry you feel I'm not being nice.

If the information on the wiki isn't accurate, its not a good resource. If noob's who look at the wiki still have to "figure it out" then it isn't a help.
    If the person who started and promotes the wiki doesn't want to take the time to look the information over, and be responsible to correct mistakes pointed out to him, why should I have to?

I choose to post information and my comments in the forums (Hofo, Blackberryforums.com, and now here). I'm sorry if you disagree with my opinion.
    Like seriously bro, how old are you?
    So you're implying that I'm being childish? That's funny.
    12-16-08 08:30 AM
    To get back on topic....

What gives?
    If you're still having troubles...

When using the Verizon Storm/9530 to setup a Gmail account, it sets it up as Pop by default...

If you want as IMAP, you have to do things a little different...

After making sure Gmail is set with IMAP enabled in your Gmail settings,

1. On the blackberry, Select the Email Settings Icon and sign in.
    2. Select the ADD button.
    3. do NOT select Gmail. Instead, select OTHER.
    4. in the Email Address.. fill in a bogus email address (like [email protected])
    5. in the Password field, fill in anything for a password
    6. Click Next.
    7. You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configure..." Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
    8. Select Personal Email, then Next.
    9. In the 'Email Address:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com').
    10. In the 'User Name:' Field, enter the portion of your email address before the "@" (i.e. don't include the @gmail.com)
    11. Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.
    12. In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next.
      Click Next.
    13. You'll see "processing, please wait..." while it sets things up.
    14. If IMAP access was successfully configured, select OK.
    15. You'll be brought back to the page showing your accounts. Select your Gmail account.
    16. scroll down, Fill in 'your name:' with how you want your name displayed. .
    17. check the box for synchronise deleted items between...
    12-16-08 08:32 AM
    So whats the difference between POP and IMAP, is POP just a lot slower?
    12-16-08 09:32 AM
    So whats the difference between POP and IMAP, is POP just a lot slower?
    When using POP... if you read something on the BB or delete it... that change isn't reflected back in your Gmail account.

With imap... read email on your BB... it will be marked as read the next time you log into your Gmail account. Same for deletes.
    12-16-08 09:42 AM
    To get back on topic....

If you're still having troubles...

When using the Verizon Storm/9530 to setup a Gmail account, it sets it up as Pop by default...

If you want as IMAP, you have to do things a little different...

After making sure Gmail is set with IMAP enabled in your Gmail settings,

1. On the blackberry, Select the Email Settings Icon and sign in.
    2. Select the ADD button.
    3. do NOT select Gmail. Instead, select OTHER.
    4. in the Email Address.. fill in a bogus email address (like [email protected])
    5. in the Password field, fill in anything for a password
    6. Click Next.
    7. You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configure..." Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
    8. Select Personal Email, then Next.
    9. In the 'Email Address:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com').
    10. In the 'User Name:' Field, enter the portion of your email address before the "@" (i.e. don't include the @gmail.com)
    11. Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.
    12. In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next.
      Click Next.
    13. You'll see "processing, please wait..." while it sets things up.
    14. If IMAP access was successfully configured, select OK.
    15. You'll be brought back to the page showing your accounts. Select your Gmail account.
    16. scroll down, Fill in 'your name:' with how you want your name displayed. .
    17. check the box for synchronise deleted items between...
    I setup Gmail exactly as described. Everything worked. But when I delete an e-mail in my Gmail inbox using my PC, it doesn't delete from my handheld. Any ideas?
    12-16-08 11:02 AM
    That's the way it works. Bis does not currently support two way ota sync with gmail for read.unread.delete

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-08 11:15 AM
    But isn't the wiki meant for people who are having troubles figuring things out? people who need help?

Isn't it so they can have a resource to turn to with all the information in one place?
    You said you just followed it, but its obvious you haven't followed it closely if you just picked up the problem with that statement now.. (it was also mentioned in one of those other threads you accuse me of trolling in)

I'm not trolling, and no I'm not trying to be anything. I read every thread, and post helpful information when I can, or when no one else has answered yet. Anyone who knows me from Hofo knows that.

I'm sorry if you can't accept criticism and my differing opinion of the wiki's value.

I'm sorry that you have created a wiki, point people to it, have said how great a resource it is, can't accept constructive criticism, and can't take the time to look it over to find and correct mistakes, even when they have been pointed out to you on several occasions. I'm sorry you feel I'm not being nice.

If the information on the wiki isn't accurate, its not a good resource. If noob's who look at the wiki still have to "figure it out" then it isn't a help.
    If the person who started and promotes the wiki doesn't want to take the time to look the information over, and be responsible to correct mistakes pointed out to him, why should I have to?

I choose to post information and my comments in the forums (Hofo, Blackberryforums.com, and now here). I'm sorry if you disagree with my opinion.
    So you're implying that I'm being childish? That's funny.
    Thank you, this was killing me..............
    12-16-08 07:55 PM
    Thanks for the help. I just got my phone today and am absolutely loving it!
    12-16-08 08:09 PM
    Mark,

Thank you very much. Your instructions worked great. I am so happy to be able to use my gmail account again.

I have added your instructions to wiki page. I did not want to mess with the original instructions, so I just added them as an alternative at the very end:

12-17-08 11:23 AM
    Mark,

Thank you very much. Your instructions worked great. I am so happy to be able to use my gmail account again.

I have added your instructions to wiki page. I did not want to mess with the original instructions, so I just added them as an alternative at the very end:

Will these instructions work with the curve?
    01-25-09 01:10 PM
    When using POP... if you read something on the BB or delete it... that change isn't reflected back in your Gmail account.

With imap... read email on your BB... it will be marked as read the next time you log into your Gmail account. Same for deletes.
    The push with gmail works fine for me, just the read unread are not synchronized at all. I know this was an issue a while back with gmail...has that been fixed? Should I change some settings.
    02-02-09 10:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD