I know the Storm is currently exclusive on the Verizon network here in the united states. If I bought the vodafone / gsm version, would I be able to use the phone on t-mobile? Or at&t? Actually, I want to be able to use it on T-mobile. If not there, I will be forced to stick w verizon... but right now I am paying $110 for 450 minutes, unlimited data / unlimited messaging (text, pics etc). I definitely feel that $110 is quite expensive... and I need more minutes. Thats going to cost me $130+ a month. I could get it for a lot cheaper on t-mobile.

Btw, does the GSM version have all the features the CDMA version has?
    10-15-08 12:34 PM
    I would like to know this too. I could buy one and put it on the AT&T network - :P
    10-15-08 01:43 PM
    Search and read the threads. Its all here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-08 02:42 PM
    CDMA will not work on a GSM network.
    10-15-08 02:56 PM
    Search and read the threads. Its all here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The posts on the subject are confusing. Some say it'll work on Rogers and therefore AT&T. Others say we'll have to wait for a NA GSM version. Many early posts show that the 9500 has the correct frequencies to work on AT&T. Now we know Rogers won't be getting Storm version 1.

I've been keeping up on the topics and I'm confused.
    10-24-08 02:10 AM
    I know the Storm is currently exclusive on the Verizon network here in the united states. If I bought the vodafone / gsm version, would I be able to use the phone on t-mobile? Or at&t? Actually, I want to be able to use it on T-mobile. If not there, I will be forced to stick w verizon... but right now I am paying $110 for 450 minutes, unlimited data / unlimited messaging (text, pics etc). I definitely feel that $110 is quite expensive... and I need more minutes. Thats going to cost me $130+ a month. I could get it for a lot cheaper on t-mobile.

Btw, does the GSM version have all the features the CDMA version has?
    In another thread, I loosely calculated that a Vodafone Storm, without contract would likely cost upwards of $600-700, based on what the Bold would cost and current exchange rates. Then, you have international shipping costs.

A VZW BB Email/Messaging plan is $119 with 900 minutes, or unlimited $149. There are less expensive plans too (email only, etc).

So, if you're paying $110/month now, you're not looking at a heavy premium to upgrade. With a T-Mobile plan, 1000 for $69.99...at that rate, it would take you a little over a year to break even...with less coverage. That doesn't take into account any type of "hurdle" rate for you accountant-types out there...
    10-24-08 04:50 AM
    all you would have is EDGE speed, and according to crucial as those other carriers don't carry the storm they won't have the service books so some features might not work.
    10-24-08 05:35 AM
    You pretty much are stuck with your carrier if you want all features to work, which you probably do - otherwise why get such a feature rich handset. If you just want to talk, get a plain old phone.
    10-24-08 06:05 AM
    In another thread, I loosely calculated that a Vodafone Storm, without contract would likely cost upwards of $600-700, based on what the Bold would cost and current exchange rates. Then, you have international shipping costs.
    theoretically it would be cheaper and easier to walk into a Verizon store and buy an unlocked 9530 (paying full pop retail of course...and assuming they'd sell you an unlocked device).

At least he'd have the option of going back to Verizon if he did that.
    10-24-08 10:02 AM
    all you would have is EDGE speed, and according to crucial as those other carriers don't carry the storm they won't have the service books so some features might not work.
    I believe this is correct.
    10-24-08 10:08 AM
    looking into this further, can one have a storm hooked up to verizon. then unlock the gsm aspect of the device, and then place an att sim card in the phone. would this result in a verizon/att combo where you get service everywhere??
    10-24-08 10:24 AM
    looking into this further, can one have a storm hooked up to verizon. then unlock the gsm aspect of the device, and then place an att sim card in the phone. would this result in a verizon/att combo where you get service everywhere??
    You would have no 3G with AT&T though, just EDGE.

EDIT: I also do not know/think the phone supports two phone number profiles running at the same time. You would be trying to receive data from both networks constantly and your phone would probably blow up. But using the phone on one or the other will work. EDGE only on AT&T though.
    Last edited by avt123; 10-24-08 at 11:49 AM.
    10-24-08 10:33 AM
    Almost certainly the device would not allow you to use both networks at the same time if that's what you're asking, but yes there's been stories about Verizon engineers installing At&t SIM cards in the 9530 and having the phone work fine on GSM/GPRS/EDGE. Theoretically you could have two service providers servicing the same device, but the phone #'s would have to be different I believe by definition. Probably of limited value to most customers to be able to do that, but who knows what they will allow.
    10-24-08 11:22 AM
    I'm glad VZW is getting a cool phone.
    10-24-08 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD