05-19-09 02:09 AM
50 12
tools
    LOL! Are you guys beings serious about the bowl if rice!
    Yes, it draws the water out of the phone. Many people have reported success with the rice trick.
    01-03-09 06:26 PM
    Too bad you're not with Bell. Bell has a smart phone care program that covers lost, stolen, liquid damage phones so basically you get a new Storm right away by paying $150 instead of full retail price.
    01-03-09 06:31 PM
    The insurance is WORTH at least 3x what you pay for it. I've had phones dropped, one was run over by a car, one fell into the ocean (and actually worked after I dried it out, but started developing salt crystals under the screen), one was dropped on concrete and accidentally kicked (went almost 100'). Insurance covered all but the one that got kicked - because it was still usable, just ugly...

Hope the OP had insurance.

BTW, the "rice trick" works well, I used it on a PC that got flooded in the leaky trunk of a rental car on a road trip. I pulled the battery, opened up all the access doors I could, pulled the keyboard and put it in a hotel laundry bag with about 3lb of rice from the local store. I then put the hotel hair dryer nozzle into one end of the laundry bag and left it running overnight. The next morning (about 7 hours later) I put the battery in and turned on the computer and it worked fine. Over a year later when it needed service for a worn out keyboard, the tech said, "When did this unit get wet?" The stickers had turned blue but the unit (a Sony Vaio) just kept on working..
    01-03-09 06:31 PM
    The insurance is so worth it. Do the math. It's $5/month. For two years that's $120. The phone cost you more than that, most likely. And I'm pretty sure in a two year time period you'll probably do something to the phone before you ever reach that $120 mark. The most you have to pay is $50 for a replacement. Hmm...that seems to be way less than having to pay the full retail price of $500.

I've had to use it twice in a two year time period. That saved me a ton of money.
    01-03-09 06:40 PM
    Bowl of water huh...sure you just didn't drop it in a open G-Bong...careful there buddy
    01-03-09 06:44 PM
    Okay okay, the bowl of water was the toliet. I sat my phone on the top grabbed for my magazine BEFORE I sat down and it hit it just right and went in was in less then a second but enough to do damage
    01-03-09 06:48 PM
    I knew it! Sorry, had to say it. Best of luck to you on getting it replaced.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 07:50 PM
    I agree with Slurg. I hope you can get it replaced. Let us know what happens. It could end up being bad times. I certainly hope not.
    01-03-09 07:56 PM
    Okay long story I knocked the Storm into a bowl of water and immediately grabbed it out and took the battery and memory card out. I dried it off and took a blow dryer to it for a few minutes, powered it back on and there appears to be water underneath the screen and the phone just started doing it's own thing afterwards. Is my phone shot or what? I put it in a bowl of rice now and am waiting but don't know how long? Should I call VZW for a replacement and if I do that will they deactivate my phone until I get my new one?
    if your within 30 days,

call verizon and well, LIE! or dont give the full story if it helps you sleep better at night

tell them "there seems to be spots underneath my screen, WHAT GIVES!

put them in the hot seat instead of yourself, reverse psychology my man
    01-03-09 07:57 PM
    Hahaha, that'll teach you NEVER to read magazines again while going poo! That's what your storm is FOR, man!! When you get your illegitimate replacement, grab Viigo, get some good feeds, and RSS while you have to go...

Seriously. Noob mistake =P
    01-03-09 09:04 PM
    I'm really amazed at this thread. Water damage, no matter how it happened, is not a warranty replacement candidate. I am able to do replacement phones (now called Certified Like New) at my call center, and one of the questions I have to ask is if the phone has any water or physical damage or any corrosion at all. Sure, the person on the phone can b.s. and say "oh no, none whatsoever", and when putting the order together I must tell them that when the defective phone comes back to the warehouse, if its deemed to be water or physically damaged that the person who received the replacement phone will be charged full retail price of the phone.

I'm not here to cause a stink, but to just lay it on the line from a VZW employee perspective. On an expensive phone like a Storm for full retail pricing, its highly recommended to carry insurance because you just never know what could happen.

And, I've heard some great stories where the rice trick worked. One other thing I've heard others mention at the call center is people who have actually doused their phone after it got wet, whether in a toilet, swimming pool, shower, etc. with rubbing alcohol to prevent corrosion from occurring in the future, then put it in the rice for 24-48 hours.
    01-03-09 11:02 PM
    Okay okay, the bowl of water was the toliet. I sat my phone on the top grabbed for my magazine BEFORE I sat down and it hit it just right and went in was in less then a second but enough to do damage
    Yikes!
    01-03-09 11:38 PM
    Those stickers are on pretty loose. Very prone to falling off.

01-04-09 12:46 AM
    I'm really amazed at this thread. Water damage, no matter how it happened, is not a warranty replacement candidate. I am able to do replacement phones (now called Certified Like New) at my call center, and one of the questions I have to ask is if the phone has any water or physical damage or any corrosion at all. Sure, the person on the phone can b.s. and say "oh no, none whatsoever", and when putting the order together I must tell them that when the defective phone comes back to the warehouse, if its deemed to be water or physically damaged that the person who received the replacement phone will be charged full retail price of the phone.

I'm not here to cause a stink, but to just lay it on the line from a VZW employee perspective. On an expensive phone like a Storm for full retail pricing, its highly recommended to carry insurance because you just never know what could happen.

And, I've heard some great stories where the rice trick worked. One other thing I've heard others mention at the call center is people who have actually doused their phone after it got wet, whether in a toilet, swimming pool, shower, etc. with rubbing alcohol to prevent corrosion from occurring in the future, then put it in the rice for 24-48 hours.
    Thank you. I can't believe how many people say to lie. This is exactly the reason why carriers get so strict with procedures. And just to clarify on a PDA good luck trying to get it replaced. They are very strict on PDA returns, including CLN replacements. I would not risk a 500 dollar charge on my account, as much as you can try to BS they will have proof for everything.on the day the item was received who inspected etc , and will not refund a fee for no good reason. I Would be careful to try and BS VZW
    01-04-09 12:59 AM
    LOL! Are you guys beings serious about the bowl if rice!
    um yeah, rice sucks up water
    01-04-09 01:06 AM
    Cut and replace water damage stickers with whatever you choose, draw the red line back on. They never know. They want to get back to texting there friends seeing whats up when they get off work.
    01-04-09 04:08 AM
    I have nightmares of this everytime I put my Storm on the bathroom counter. Now I put the lid down everytime I even get near the toilet with my phone.

I've been through the wet phone thing with Verizon.

VZ emp: "Sir, how did your phone get wet"

Me: "I have no idea what happened to it"

VZ employee gives me a look like 'sure you dont...'

They replaced it...but hey, I've had so many Verizon employees lie to me I feel had something coming...

Got stuck with a crappy Razr phone for two years because a Verizon employee told me I could use my upgrade to get the Razr and then come back in 3 months and use my "new every 2" to get the phone I really wanted...(which wasnt out yet)

a LIE!

"Sir if you upgrade to this storm now you will get unlimited data"

Another Verizon lie!

Sir, I'm giving you 500 free text messages.

LIE!

And when your new Storm arrives I will personally call you to make sure your new plan is in place.

Another Verizon lie...

Good thing I decided tocall in...I was still on my old plan and they were getting ready to send me a bill with massive overages on my statement.

Remember when Verizon's motto was "your problem is our problem sir!" ???
    01-04-09 04:18 AM
    The problem with liquid is that you can blow dry it and soak it in rice but corrosion takes time to form and it will. When it does in time it will die. If there are any bga style chips on the phones motherboar and liquid got under them - there is virtualy no way to clean that out. Use your insurance now.

01-04-09 04:43 AM
    I have nightmares of this everytime I put my Storm on the bathroom counter. Now I put the lid down everytime I even get near the toilet with my phone.

I've been through the wet phone thing with Verizon.

VZ emp: "Sir, how did your phone get wet"

Me: "I have no idea what happened to it"

VZ employee gives me a look like 'sure you dont...'

They replaced it...but hey, I've had so many Verizon employees lie to me I feel had something coming...

Got stuck with a crappy Razr phone for two years because a Verizon employee told me I could use my upgrade to get the Razr and then come back in 3 months and use my "new every 2" to get the phone I really wanted...(which wasnt out yet)

a LIE!

"Sir if you upgrade to this storm now you will get unlimited data"

Another Verizon lie!

Sir, I'm giving you 500 free text messages.

LIE!

And when your new Storm arrives I will personally call you to make sure your new plan is in place.

Another Verizon lie...

Good thing I decided tocall in...I was still on my old plan and they were getting ready to send me a bill with massive overages on my statement.

Remember when Verizon's motto was "your problem is our problem sir!" ???
    Sorry to be off topic a little i had similar experience with verizon customer care.

Some how there system cannot authenticate my renewal (2 Year) for my storm upgrade and they advised to send me a hard copy contract through the mail to agree with the terms and conditions and the 2 year term. I have spoken with more than 3 reps regarding this matter (On different days) and they all promised me that they'll help me resolve this problem and call me for updates (They never did not even once I got a call back )

Its been over a month and they still didn't fix the problem

Now the the automated system is charging me full price of the phone, they advise i don't need to pay it and that it is a system error and they will fix that problem and don't need to worry.

And still no luck and the problem has not been resolved.....

I am going to try it one more time and If i don't get any results I'm really going to complain to cooperate (written Complaint) with this is BS!!
    01-04-09 05:09 AM
    Sorry to be off topic a little i had similar experience with verizon customer care.

Some how there system cannot authenticate my renewal (2 Year) for my storm upgrade and they advised to send me a hard copy contract through the mail to agree with the terms and conditions and the 2 year term. I have spoken with more than 3 reps regarding this matter (On different days) and they all promised me that they'll help me resolve this problem and call me for updates (They never did not even once I got a call back )

Its been over a month and they still didn't fix the problem

Now the the automated system is charging me full price of the phone, they advise i don't need to pay it and that it is a system error and they will fix that problem and don't need to worry.

And still no luck and the problem has not been resolved.....

I am going to try it one more time and If i don't get any results I'm really going to complain to cooperate (written Complaint) with this is BS!!
    Let me try to help. You got the Storm using the 2 year upgrade. In my call center experience, if it was coded incorrectly and you got the Storm at 2 year pricing but the Terms and Conditions for the agreement to extend the contract of that line for 2 years from day of activation of the Storm isn't done through the automated system, in order to avoid the full chargeback, you need to sign that manual contract and return it to VZW. You will then have your T&C signed, and your 2 yr. contract in place, and you will then be refunded the full price of the phone (the difference between the $499.99 full retail price and your promotional price you paid at purchase). This happens very rarely but when it does I can see where you would be upset. But, by signing that manual contract will fix everything up for you. I hope I explained this well enough.
    01-04-09 08:59 AM
    Verizons prices are directly affected by the people here that are encouraging others to LIE!!!
    01-04-09 09:30 AM
    Anyone still wonder why Verizon is getting so tough about replacing these phones. There are a lot of careless folks on these forums, and they want Verizon to pay for their carelessness. Of course, then you have others who encourage folks to steal from Verizon by telling them to call for a replacement, but don't tell them you were careless. And yes Rooster it is stealing if you try to get a replacement under false pretenses.

Ron Bernier
    Woonsocket, RI
    Actually I think the word you are looking for is FRAUD. If you choose to do this you are purposefully going out of your way to mislead and make a false statements to get what you want.
    01-04-09 09:30 AM
    I dropped my storm into a 120 degree jacuzzi and it completely submerged at least 2 feet deep. When I took it out, it was still on and working. There was obvious water under the screen. After 2 days or so, the screen went back to normal and all the water "puddles" under the screen dried out. Everything functioned exactly as it used to. Water sensors did change on my device immediately. The one on the actual device under the battery will turn completely red instead of white.

P.S. I did get a new phone anyways because I was having other problems with it before this happened.
    01-04-09 09:38 AM
    Thanks for that but the thing is they already said they would send me the paper work but they have not over a month now. I did get a charge back on my bill for the full price for the phone. This really sucks!

01-04-09 05:10 PM
    dude...you should sue the maker of said bowl...you should sue whoever provided the water (water company, aquafina, etc...), you should sue verizon, you should sue blackberry, and maybe even file one against crackberry too.
    05-19-09 02:09 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD