Okay long story I knocked the Storm into a bowl of water and immediately grabbed it out and took the battery and memory card out. I dried it off and took a blow dryer to it for a few minutes, powered it back on and there appears to be water underneath the screen and the phone just started doing it's own thing afterwards. Is my phone shot or what? I put it in a bowl of rice now and am waiting but don't know how long? Should I call VZW for a replacement and if I do that will they deactivate my phone until I get my new one?
    01-03-09 01:59 PM
    Wow, a bowl of water!

Yeah, I think it safe to say that its toast. Call for a replacement but leave out the bowl of water story.
    01-03-09 02:01 PM
    Okay long story I knocked the Storm into a bowl of water and immediately grabbed it out and took the battery and memory card out. I dried it off and took a blow dryer to it for a few minutes, powered it back on and there appears to be water underneath the screen and the phone just started doing it's own thing afterwards. Is my phone shot or what? I put it in a bowl of rice now and am waiting but don't know how long? Should I call VZW for a replacement and if I do that will they deactivate my phone until I get my new one?
    Dropping it water has voided your warranty so it won't do you any good to call VZW for a replacement. Your only hope is if you have insurance, and in that case, you call the insurance company or go to their website.
    01-03-09 02:01 PM
    pull the batter and see if the white strip is now blue. If so, and it probably is, then you are screwed unless you have insurance.
    01-03-09 02:04 PM
    the rice trick will need 12 to 24 hours, or so they say.

this dude spilled some of his jack&coke on mine not a minor quantity and mine was fine and then last week my storm got doused by melted snow that was on top of my car that slid through the moonroof while i was smoking. got drenched but no ill-effects.

i am sorry for your loss.
    01-03-09 02:04 PM
    put it in a bag of rice in a warm area, like a windowsill for a good 24 hour day.
    prematurely putting the battery in and firing it up might have toasted it.
    If you have insurance and call vzw, you do the switching yourself, then send your phone back. You have 30 days to get it back.
    Personally, I would put the storm in a bag of rice, call vzw and get an insurance replacement on the way, (including a new battery), and reactivate an older phone if you have one for the time being.
    Only the good die young.....
    01-03-09 02:06 PM
    The sticker on the back is still red and white and it hasn't changed since I got it. If I get it to work, before my replacement gets sent will VZW flag that or watch to see if it gets used?
    01-03-09 02:38 PM
    Can someone post a picture of the water damage thing around the battery? I'm not sure where it is. There's a small white sticker on the bottom of the battery itself that has a red strip down it. there's also a white square on the inside of the battery compartment of the phone. when looking into the back of the phone it's on the left edge. Which one might it be?
    01-03-09 02:44 PM
    So you dropped your phone in a bowl of water and want VZ to replace it for you. Wow! That's pretty jacked up.
    01-03-09 02:45 PM
    Dang, how do you drop your phone in a bowl of water? Then again I know someone who dumped his ipod touch in the toilet........

Honestly, if the sticker didn't turn then I would cal VZW and say it quit working. I am all for being honest but the phone companies get far too much for what the provide. They will just service it and send it out as a refurb anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 02:55 PM
    Anyone still wonder why Verizon is getting so tough about replacing these phones. There are a lot of careless folks on these forums, and they want Verizon to pay for their carelessness. Of course, then you have others who encourage folks to steal from Verizon by telling them to call for a replacement, but don't tell them you were careless. And yes Rooster it is stealing if you try to get a replacement under false pretenses.

Ron Bernier
    Woonsocket, RI
    01-03-09 02:55 PM
    lol.lol.lol.
    01-03-09 02:57 PM
    If you had water under the screen... it clearly WASN'T dry. You have to pull the battery immediately, disassemble the device to the best of your ability blow dry it THEN LET IT SIT For about a day.

I live in AZ...setting anything outside for a day on the Patio (even in winter) is the equivalent of days in rice.

But to those of you scoffing at the replacements.. I thought it was a 30 days NO QUESTION trial period. He can just return it and pay the restocking fee if that is a true NO QUESTION policy.

And the water sticker is the red one with the xxx on it. That turns red (did on my Pearl that went swimming) .. FYI .. the battery is still good after a swim if you don't try to USE IT IN A WET DEVICE! lol..
    01-03-09 03:00 PM
    mine only got barely splashed by water sitting on the counter. I noticed the same water bubble under the screen. I pulled the battery, blew it out with air (gently) and it still killed the phone.

Fortunately I have insurance, and they next day aired me a new phone; I also was honest about the water, they were fine with that.

I would have to think if it dropped in a bowl of water it's dead, after what happened to mine with a simple splash.

Jody
    01-03-09 03:09 PM
    LOL! Are you guys beings serious about the bowl if rice!
    01-03-09 03:12 PM
    If you call for a replacement they will send one, but I've seen when they tear the unit down and notice water damage they will charge your account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 03:27 PM
    You must be gutted, I hope you can it working or can get a replacement
    01-03-09 03:39 PM
    a bowl of rice? i dont get it
    01-03-09 04:17 PM
    same reason they put rice in salt containers, it absorbs moisture.
    01-03-09 04:25 PM
    Sorry but what kind of moron turns the phone back on a few minutes after doing this? Did you think the inside of the device magically dried out in a mere matter of minutes? USE YOUR HEAD!
    01-03-09 05:02 PM
    Don't feel bad... I have 2 phones in the bottom of santee river, lost 1 to a dixie cup of beer, lost 1 to a glass of tea, and another to a toilet. Can't wait to find the fate of this storm....
    Oh yah and that reminds me first time out the box for my storm dude from verizon drops it....he was so embarrassed, i just laughed
    Last edited by BBSchase373; 01-03-09 at 07:04 PM.
    01-03-09 05:42 PM
    The sticker on the back is still red and white and it hasn't changed since I got it. If I get it to work, before my replacement gets sent will VZW flag that or watch to see if it gets used?
    So you're still within your 30 day guarantee window Call *611 and tell them your phone is not working properly. Give them whatever number of reasons you want (screen unresponsive, spontaneous shutdown, etc) They'll send you a new one. Send them the broke one back when the new one comes.

What happens when they receive the broken one I don't know, but just play dumb and you should be fine.
    01-03-09 05:46 PM
    just cause the stikcer on the back is ok doesnt mean you can trick verizon.

i think they now put indicators inside the phone in multiple places too.
    01-03-09 05:49 PM
    Don't feel bad... I have 2 phones in the bottom of santee river, lost 1 to a dixie cup of beer, lost 1 to a glass of tea, and another to a toilet. Can't wait to find the fate of this storm....
    LOL...are you related to my bf...LOL
    01-03-09 05:51 PM
    LOL! Are you guys beings serious about the bowl if rice!

yeah....dry rice though! lol
    01-03-09 06:23 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD