Hey guys after hearing some complaints and raves about the tour being quicker and better i had to check it out myself. I did a quick video review of the speed of the os and a quick look at the application memory for the storm (or lack of) and of the tour (DEF VERY NICE!!)

So check it out

07-31-09 11:41 PM
    Good review but I have to disagree on one thing. One you were pushing the bb button
    to see which device would switch faster to that screen. Obviously the storm wouldn't be the first one to
    react as quickly as the tour since the storm os is designed to open up in a certain transition.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 12:04 AM
    Thanks for the demo.

Im pretty sure we all know the tour has more memory. As far as it being faster to open the menu, well it really didnt seem slow compared because from the looks of it the storm has the transitions and the tour does not. So of course it looks faster on the tour, no cool transitions. So for me the test proved absolutely nothing.
    08-01-09 12:09 AM
    Good review but I have to disagree on one thing. One you were pushing the bb button
    to see which device would switch faster to that screen. Obviously the storm wouldn't be the first one to
    react as quickly as the tour since the storm os is designed to open up in a certain transition.

good point! i just through this together at work...we were all sitting around trying to show how the tour reacts almost instantly but the only thing we could come up with was a menu change transition. throw me some ideas and we'll put another updated review up. Thanks for the input
    08-01-09 12:10 AM

Mmm. Very good point. I was following along with my own Storm and the slight fade transition does account for that "lag" behind the Tour. Though oddly enough, it return out of the Applications screen just as quick as the Tour.

good point! i just through this together at work...we were all sitting around trying to show how the tour reacts almost instantly but the only thing we could come up with was a menu change transition. throw me some ideas and we'll put another updated review up. Thanks for the input
    The problem is that with .151, going from screen to screen will alway have a transition to it, taking up those split seconds. Going to be hard to come up with an objective speed comparison between the two...
    Last edited by Zipster; 08-01-09 at 12:14 AM.
    08-01-09 12:11 AM
    not sure how to tell which ones faster. How about opening up an app or something. How about downloading and installing something. Theres no real way to tell which one is faster at opening up menu items and transitioning between screens because .151 and 5.0.0.140 have the transitions. Im pretty sure if the next OS has the transitions then it will seem to slow down.
    08-01-09 12:15 AM
    Thanks guys i like they way yall think! i didn't really think about the transition i'll run a video of the storm vs tour loading up a HD photo or video and see how it performs...or we could just accept the tours smaller size and less graphics may be the reason (who knows) but i agree with yall THE STORM DEF STOOD ITS GROUNDS!
    08-01-09 12:18 AM
    Mmm. Very good point. I was following along with my own Storm and the slight fade transition does account for that "lag" behind the Tour. Though oddly enough, it return out of the Applications screen just as quick as the Tour.

The problem is that with .151, going from screen to screen will alway have a transition to it, taking up those split seconds. Going to be hard to come up with an objective speed comparison between the two...
    I was trying mine out as well and im running the 5.0.0.140 and mines faster than that. I have almost no lag, you can barely see the transitions between most screens. I think the only real way to test the difference is if you do a loading app or downloading something and installing it.

Its still really all about personal preference. Some like the screen on the storm and some dont. Some like the trackball of the tour and some dont. Some like the cool factor of the touch screen, some dont.
    08-01-09 12:19 AM
    Thanks guys i like they way yall think! i didn't really think about the transition i'll run a video of the storm vs tour loading up a HD photo or video and see how it performs...or we could just accept the tours smaller size and less graphics may be the reason (who knows) but i agree with yall THE STORM DEF STOOD ITS GROUNDS!
    how about you do a battery pull test. Pull both batteries and put them back in at the same time and see which one boots up first.
    08-01-09 12:21 AM
    how about you do a battery pull test. Pull both batteries and put them back in at the same time and see which one boots up first.
    Perfect! thanks man i'll run it tomorrow and try and put the video up...im not gonna lie i kinda wanna know about the boot up speed. i'll post back
    08-01-09 12:24 AM
    Perfect! thanks man i'll run it tomorrow and try and put the video up...im not gonna lie i kinda wanna know about the boot up speed. i'll post back
    cool. Ill check back tomorrow. If anyone else has any ideas for comparison tests post them here and maybe he can do them and post the vid.
    08-01-09 12:55 AM
    Hey guys after hearing some complaints and raves about the tour being quicker and better i had to check it out myself. I did a quick video review of the speed of the os and a quick look at the application memory for the storm (or lack of) and of the tour (DEF VERY NICE!!)

So check it out

Thanks for your post. I don't run .151 and I am hooked up to my network and I can guarantee my storm is faster than the one in the demo that seemed to flicker as the screen loaded, up against the tour. That's not normal. I can get from the first app to the last app much quicker than I did with a track ball. That's just my two cents worth. I can post a vid if your interested?
    08-01-09 01:09 AM
    Thanks for your post. I don't run .151 and I am hooked up to my network and I can guarantee my storm is faster than the one in the demo that seemed to flicker as the screen loaded, up against the tour. That's not normal. I can get from the first app to the last app much quicker than I did with a track ball. That's just my two cents worth. I can post a vid if your interested?

Huh?
    08-01-09 01:16 AM

So check it out

The tour does pop a bit faster with that little screen! And does have more application memory about as much as two storms! As far as speed test, it would be cool to see two seasoned berry users, one with a storm and one with a tour. Then have them log into face book, my space, crack berry, type a paragraph, send a sms containing "love" , perform a function on a sheet to go document, make a call, take a pic, then a 10 second video, respond two an email, add two contacts and then lock phone. That could only indicate a true speed test, and give the consumer an idea how long in takes two multitask on a tour vs storm. Don't ya think?
    08-01-09 01:29 AM
    Huh?
    Ok, I will make a quick vid and load up hear. You will see no flicker on my screen, no lag, and I will even up the anty and pop it back and fourth quickly giving the storm less time to adjust inbetween cycles.
    08-01-09 01:41 AM

Just hit the above link to See my healthy storm go from home to apps to home again
    08-01-09 02:00 AM
    Heres the video i promised...sorry it took so long. you know how things can be haha... anyways take a look and let me know. you maybe surprised with the results you may already know the answer but take a look..

08-05-09 04:07 AM
    Congratulations, you've been successful in testing the difference in speed between a phone that has transitions and one that doesn't when it bring up screen.

But, you knew this already since everyone else mentioned it.

Anyhoo, I've tested and used a bunch of Tours and after a little while, that thing slows down and pauses a lot.... to me it's more annoying to use then my own Storm is. Not defending the Storm, just saying... if you get rid of the pauses it has (sometimes a good 5-7 seconds to change screens), then I'm sure it'll be good to go. In my opinion .40 was not a good release to push the Tour out with. Again... if feels like a rush job... who's fault is it this time RIM?

As for the second video.... What OS is on that Storm? If it was .148 or .151 it should have booted quicker then the Tour. The Tour boots up in about 3 minutes whereas the Storm does it in about 2:05-2:15 depending on OS version running on it. If it was .75, then chances are good that's why the Tour started quicker because the Storm used to take slightly longer then 3 minutes to start. Please check out that Storm OS on the floor. I was at my local VZW store and was surprised to find a display Storm with .75 still on it.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 08-05-09 at 09:09 AM.
    08-05-09 09:02 AM
    Congratulations, you've been successful in testing the difference in speed between a phone that has transitions and one that doesn't when it bring up screen.

But, you knew this already since everyone else mentioned it.

Anyhoo, I've tested and used a bunch of Tours and after a little while, that thing slows down and pauses a lot.... to me it's more annoying to use then my own Storm is. Not defending the Storm, just saying... if you get rid of the pauses it has (sometimes a good 5-7 seconds to change screens), then I'm sure it'll be good to go. In my opinion .40 was not a good release to push the Tour out with. Again... if feels like a rush job... who's fault is it this time RIM?

As for the second video.... What OS is on that Storm? If it was .148 or .151 it should have booted quicker then the Tour. The Tour boots up in about 3 minutes whereas the Storm does it in about 2:05-2:15 depending on OS version running on it. If it was .75, then chances are good that's why the Tour started quicker because the Storm used to take slightly longer then 3 minutes to start. Please check out that Storm OS on the floor. I was at my local VZW store and was surprised to find a display Storm with .75 still on it.
    Just timed my Storm booting up. I am running 151 and it took 3:05 to boot. Why do you say it should boot up in 2:05-2:15?
    08-05-09 09:21 AM
    Just timed my Storm booting up. I am running 151 and it took 3:05 to boot. Why do you say it should boot up in 2:05-2:15?
    Because that what mine takes to boot up with .151. So are other Storms that have .148 or better. For me .141 was the fastest at 2:00 or so.
    08-05-09 09:42 AM
    Because that what mine takes to boot up with .151. So are other Storms that have .148 or better. For me .141 was the fastest at 2:00 or so.
    Any idea why mine takes 3 minutes+ ?
    08-05-09 10:01 AM
    Because when it went to school, it rode on the short bus.
    08-05-09 12:11 PM
    That could be a number things.
    08-05-09 12:16 PM
    Yeah i am running .151 and my storm takes about 2.5 minutes to boot. its the fastest i've ever had it. The tour took just at 2mins. That was the first test we did so i was sure the tour would be the overall winner...but just like you said after you get into the os is starts to run sluggish

+3 mins? that'd make me wanna ride the short bus haha
    08-05-09 01:20 PM
    Again, I use both of these phones on a daily basis. I'm more productive with my storm and the touch screen. Navigating with a Touch Screen is always going to be faster than scrolling a trackball. Otherwise Point of Sale systems at restaurants and department stores would have mice instead of touch screens. So take into effect that I can hit my screen to get the my full screen of icons, then click the app I want, 2 taps on the screen and I'm where I need to be, or with the Tour, Menu button, scroll with the trackball, the click the trackball to open the app. Navigating in certain apps with the trackball is just a pain when you're used to the touch screen, ie Facebook. Of course you can argue that it's faster typing on the physical keyboard than on-screen. Well, maybe I'm too used to my Storm now, but I'm not a big fan of the Tour's keyboard. Too small, slick, and close together. I can knock a long email out hella fast with the SureType keyboard, and I'm still faster on my landscape on the Storm than I am with the Tour.

We can sit and argue what's faster, what's more productive, if app memory really matters, etc. etc.. The fact is everyone is different. I hate my Tour and love my Storm, but my wife hated the Storm and loves her Tour. To each his own...
    08-05-09 01:30 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD