First off, let me say that I LOVE my new storm, bugs and all. Of course I have my gripes, but I'm patient for the OTA updates. HOWEVER, I was wondering what you guys thought about the Omnia (12/8 in stores):

5 MP camera, autofocus, panorama, smile detection, etc
    WIFI (big one there)
    8 gigs expandable onboard memory (I suppose good for more apps)
    optical mousepad (eliminates stylus AND the need for the clickthru tech of Storm)

all the videos I have seen have shown the Omnia's browser to be superior to the storm's (diagonal panning + kinetic scrolling).

It's only 50 dollars more than the storm, so I'm pretty tempted. I've gotten more worried about the storm with the gap in the screen... the more I think about it, the more I know that SOMETHING bad is going to happen with that thing. Be it Parties, a rain...storm, or whatever, I just don't see that staying clean.

Further, since I've gotten very good at typing (practice since friday morning), I've noticed the speed cap on the storm's keyboard more than ever... I just can't type 2 letters in quick succession, and whenever I try, i just get a snowball effect of errors...

I'm curious to see what anyone else has read or heard about the Omnia? I know it has a plastic screen, which is a bummer as I love the classy feel of the glass.

Any thoughts? sorry if this question has already been asked
    11-25-08 07:48 PM
    Eww SamSung lol :P
    11-25-08 07:52 PM
    I've never owned a samsung personally, always been an LG man before i got "smart". Do you have any personal history with them? I would love to know anything to be afraid of with them.
    11-25-08 07:53 PM
    Aside from being the size of a brick, my Samsung i730 was decent for it's time.
    11-25-08 07:55 PM
    GREAT SPECS on the omnia, but Its Winmo, if they threw the android operation system on it, Then I would consider returning my phone. ITS ALL ABOUT THE OS!!!! and Winmo is not for me
    11-25-08 07:55 PM
    Can't see myself using WM. BB or bust
    11-25-08 07:56 PM
    Again, from a slightly uneducated perspective(did a few hours of reading today) Winmo is primarily disliked because of the need of a stylus and clunky UI. If you haven't checked any videos of the omnia out, I'd recommend you look at some, it seems that with the mouse and better short cuts they have mostly gotten rid of the UI problems.

Understanding that I am still in the BB boat, who else is scared about the gap? I really don't want to ruin my phone. I mostly got scared of this when people reported breaking them from installing IS.... not a good sign
    11-25-08 08:03 PM
    I think that it is going to be a matter of personal preference wmo or BB. Though the Omnia does have one mean processor so it should be real fast.
    11-25-08 08:04 PM
    I have a WM htc 6800 right now and waiting for my storm to arrive, can customize wm to no ends but am tired of all the BS that comes with it so I jumped ship to my first BB. I liked the specs on the omnia but as i stated am tired of the bs plus I just personaly think its down right fugly! I dont care ** much of a powerhouse a device is I still have to look at it everyday (be like having some *large woman for a wife* after having the sexy thin one I have now! Dont care what she does great it bed cause the whole package is still there when i wake up
    just my 2cents.........
    11-25-08 08:07 PM
    I know that come 12/8 I'll be testing the Omnia out in-store to see what all this fuss about Winmo is. Everything I've heard is that BB is for business, Winmo is for casual/multimedia.

Since having my storm I have fallen IN LOVE with the push emails. Does anyone know if Omnia will support a similar feature?

And also, I love your insight, Jeeper, lol!
    11-25-08 08:08 PM
    Memory 8 GB (internal memory available to user for storage)
    97 MB program memory (RAM)

Not 8GB of program usable... big difference.

No 3.5mm plug or 2.5mm plug without the proprietery dongle

Lesser resolution.
    11-25-08 08:10 PM
    IMO, the Omnia could potentially be a SICK smartphone, as long as VzW doesn't neuter it (I hope they are past that phase now).

I would have considered the Omnia, but I've had my sights set on a BBerry and will stick to my decision. When the Omnia comes out, I will take a look at it.
    11-25-08 08:10 PM
    One cool feature of the Omnia... WinMo Gestures... if a call comes in and you want to silence the ringer, you flip the phone upside down. That's kinda cool in my book.
    11-25-08 08:13 PM
    whitj, here is some info from EngadgetMobile about the Omnia. the price is rather compelling: Verizon announces Samsung Omnia for $249.99 - Engadget Mobile
    11-25-08 08:15 PM
    Memory 8 GB (internal memory available to user for storage)
    97 MB program memory (RAM)

Not 8GB of program usable... big difference.

No 3.5mm plug or 2.5mm plug without the proprietery dongle

Lesser resolution.
    Ah, thank you JRSCCivic, I meant to include cons to the Omnia, and I do know that the lack of a true headphone jack DOES suck considerably, as even though I bought the Motorola s9 stereo bluetooth headset, I still prefer the quality from normal headphones.

Didn't know about the different memory allocations. Does the Storm allocate the 1 gig similarly? I would like to put a fair amount of apps on my phone, so I don't want to run out of space too soon...
    11-25-08 08:16 PM
    Aside from being the size of a brick, my Samsung i730 was decent for it's time.
    I had a i730 for 2 years and I LOVED it. Was the best phone I ever owned, and not only was it the size of a brick, was solid as a brick. I dropped that thing so many times and it still worked great. The only time I dropped it and it no longer worked, was the day I dropped it in the toilet lol.

But I've moved on to the storm and now it's my new favorite phone

But yea, Omnia Vs. Storm = WM vs BB. It's your choice in OS prefrence for the most part.
    11-25-08 08:20 PM
    I know that come 12/8 I'll be testing the Omnia out in-store to see what all this fuss about Winmo is. Everything I've heard is that BB is for business, Winmo is for casual/multimedia.

Since having my storm I have fallen IN LOVE with the push emails. Does anyone know if Omnia will support a similar feature?

And also, I love your insight, Jeeper, lol!
    If the Omnia runs WM, you can get push email via EAS. Basically you have to use a service (like mobipush for example) that turns a pop/imap account into EAS. Only works for one account though. You can also get push from hotmail/live with Windows Live, so techinically 2 push accounts (2nd one is restricted obviously to only that email type).
    11-25-08 08:20 PM
    BIS (poll account and then push to phone every 15 minutes) to me is no different then a WinMo device polling for the email every so many minutes. Only negative is you kill the battery quicker on a WinMo device if you get crazy on the polling time.

Both devices can do full push. ActiveSync to an Exchange server is FULL PUSH. You need a BES server and license to do it with a Blackberry. Not exactly "cheap".
    11-25-08 08:26 PM
    On a WM device you can push the email just like blackberry but yea it kills the battery a lot faster than a BB will just like JRS said.
    11-25-08 08:35 PM
    Wow, seems the omnia is going to be an extremely capable phone. Now I just need to get my hands on it and see just how bad this whole WinMo OS is.
    11-25-08 08:44 PM
    I shy away from getting the Omnia simply because Samsung has a newer version of that phone in Japan and there are no plans to bring it to the US. The overseas Omnia has a much higher resolution than the one VZW is bringing to the U.S.
    11-25-08 08:54 PM
    Looks pretty good. WinMo isn't that bad and the mobile edition of Office components are great.
    11-25-08 08:59 PM
    The Omnia is available through CS now.....I am sorry if this is a repost.....
    11-25-08 09:11 PM
    BIS (poll account and then push to phone every 15 minutes) to me is no different then a WinMo device polling for the email every so many minutes. Only negative is you kill the battery quicker on a WinMo device if you get crazy on the polling time.

Both devices can do full push. ActiveSync to an Exchange server is FULL PUSH. You need a BES server and license to do it with a Blackberry. Not exactly "cheap".
    It definitely makes a difference to me... having the e-mail NOW, or in 15 minutes... or however often I want it to drain my battery.
    11-25-08 09:17 PM
    For me, the Storm wins out simply due to the fact that it doesnt have a gimped headphone jack.
    11-25-08 09:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD