I'm thinking about buying an ipod touch 2gen. Has anyone compared the sound quality of the music coming out of these two devices? If they are the same it seems pointless to waste the money on a touch. Does it depend more on your headphones then the device itself?

I don't care about all the other stuff the ipod can do. Right now I'm just concerned with comparing the quality of the sound output from both of these.
    02-21-09 02:48 PM
    I am by no means an audiophile, but had an Ipod Touch (1st gen). After purchasing my Storm I sold the Ipod. I didn't hear much difference between the two, and actually (to my liking) preferred the sound quality on the Storm. One of the things I do miss about the Ipod is the ability to bookmark placement in a podcast and wifi. If money is no object, I say get an Ipod Touch as I thoroughly enjoyed mine, but once I got the Storm there was only the need to carry one piece of equipment which was great for me. By the way, if you aren't in need of all the bells and whistles of the Ipod Touch, there are cheaper options out there.

BTD
    02-21-09 02:55 PM
    Get a nano or something, since you can get an 8gb one which would be the same as the storm. Only benefit to ipod is it integrates with iTunes better.
    02-21-09 03:03 PM
    All my music files are .AAC/256 in iTunes, I sync all my playlists to my Storm's 16GB card, works perfect. Why have two devices?
    02-21-09 03:05 PM
    Ear buds are the key. I just acquired a set of amazing ear buds (Shure 530's) and I can attest that source is nearly irrelevant, it's all about the buds.
    02-21-09 03:05 PM
    these guys don't work in the city (or live in the city)

the storms volume is way too low for my liking especially for movies.

I copied the exact same source files into my ipod touch and they sound excellent. I would buy a touch if I were you.

The storm is good for alot of things but music is NOT one of them
    02-21-09 03:13 PM
    I sold my ipod touch too. The storm has slightly better sound with good headphones. I don't get the volume problems. I never go over 50% but I have noise blocking shures.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 04:00 PM
    Oh and for podcasts and audiobooks get podtrapper. It bookmarks and downloads automatically.

02-21-09 04:03 PM
    I have both the Touch and the Storm and I use both. Mostly, that is because the 32GB on the Touch and 16GB on the Storm still don't allow me access to all the Audible, music, and movies that I usually carry with me. I have a 500GB drive that I carry for that, but it's a bother to get transferred.

With good headphones it is impossible for me to tell the difference between the two. And, so far, Audible is much easier on the Touch than the Storm.

I spend a LOT of nights in hotels and I have gotten to the point where I mostly keep the music and ambient sounds (thunder and rain, surf, etc) that I like to listen to as I go to sleep as playlists on the Storm. I travel with a charging pod and I just plug the Storm in and it is my travel alarm clock, night light, and tunes to go to sleep to. It works for me!
    02-21-09 04:06 PM
    I think only the most extreme audiophiles can differentiate the sound output.
    02-21-09 04:19 PM
    I don't think the touch can use bluetooth stereo headsets.

02-21-09 04:19 PM
    Love the storm. With that said, I'm still keeping the ipod touch
    02-21-09 05:28 PM
    I don't think the touch can use bluetooth stereo headsets.

yea what exactly is that?? sounds interesting

thanks everyone, very helpful opinions
    02-21-09 06:19 PM
    I've had an Ipod Touch for a while now (1st gen), and I love it.

I would absolutely die if I was stuck with the media player of the Storm. Having used both media players through my cars speakers, the Ipod touch has far better sound quality.
    02-21-09 06:21 PM
    Ipod Touch all the way. The Media capabilities are way beyond the Storm (at this time).

Personally I use the touch if I want to watch a movie or listen to music as it affects my Storm battery way too much. Keeping my media separate from my work device is important just because I can't afford to have my phone die on me mid way through my work day.

Just an opinion!
    02-21-09 06:34 PM
    I've had an Ipod Touch for a while now (1st gen), and I love it.

I would absolutely die if I was stuck with the media player of the Storm. Having used both media players through my cars speakers, the Ipod touch has far better sound quality.

I have an aux 3.5 mm cord in my car and I cannot for the life of me get my music on my storm to go through the car speakers

EDUCATE ME
    02-21-09 06:38 PM
    When I am in the car, I just listen to the in-car radio. =)

02-21-09 08:22 PM
    I have a Storm and the 2nd Gen IPOD Touch. The diffrence in sound is.........The Storm plays music LOUDER out of the external speaker. The Ipod touch plays music louder through the headphones. The Ipod touch is definatly better to use as a normal MP3 Player over the Storm sound quality wise. Its actually fun to use, especially if you have a router in your house or in the area so you can get wifi connection on it. You can download a bunch of aps to it and mess around. But I will be honest with you, typing on the Storm is Much Better then typing on the Ipod Touch. Even the Qwerty way on the touch when on the net typing is still hard. But if your looking to listen to music all of the time, I would definatly go with the touch if I was you. My Phone does all kinds of things, but just dont want to waste the battery our in the Storm from listening to Music all day. The Ipods music through the headphones is a lot Louder then the Storms, but the external speaker on the touch sucks.
    02-21-09 08:54 PM
    Might as well just get the iPhone and eliminate the need for two devices.
    02-21-09 09:03 PM
    The Storm seems to be heavier towards the bass end, whereas my iPod Touch seems to have more emphasis on the treble end. It's not an issue as to enjoyment of the music, just a bit of a difference in the sounds.

I like having both, I have the 16gb iPod, so I keep more music on it and use it in my car, where as my Storm is what I take with me to the gym and other places. I also like having the iPod for movies and music when I'm traveling, so I don't have to worry about running the battery down on my phone while watching movies. My iPod is more of a 'toy' (games, random apps, movies/video), and the Storm is more for communication and internet, with media use when I don't want to carry both devices around.
    Last edited by jradaj; 02-21-09 at 09:23 PM.
    02-21-09 09:12 PM
    I'd almost forgotten that I had an iPod since getting the Storm. The only complaint I have is the audio channel issue with the Storm. If I'm watching a movie, listening to music or radio and I get an email or text, it pauses to play the alert sound. I can't have my phone on silent profile most of the time and this causes a slight annoyance. Other than that I think the Storm serves the media purpose fairly well.
    02-21-09 09:13 PM
    i had a dare and loaded some music on it and used it as an mp3 player.... then i bought a couple ipod touches (for the wife and i) and i noticed a MUCH better sound quality from the ipod (w/skullcandy earbuds). i havent used the storm for music yet- even though i transferred it all over- but i wont be selling my ipod any time soon. i love it.
    02-21-09 09:15 PM
    2 words, app store.

And panodra on the ipod rapes slacker on the blackberry. It really puts it to shame.
    02-21-09 09:16 PM
    earbuds and how the the bitrate they are ripped at...
    02-21-09 09:27 PM
    I have the 1st gen Touch and the Storm, but I don't use the Touch anymore. I only used the Touch for music and really just wanted to carry around 1 device. I never used the wi-fi as there never is an availabe (& free) wi-fi signal in DC.

The Storm works fine for music. It's not as elegant with music transfers (BB Media Sync = headache) but it works. And I LOVE streaming my music to my Jabra BT8040 in stereo. Can't do that with the Touch. I don't care for how loud the Storm is at the office with headphones, but ehhh, I can turn the volume down on the Jabra headset. I also don't notice any difference in audio quality between the two.
    02-21-09 09:32 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD