The announcer is a friggin Apple fan boy as it is already and always brags about Apple. I do not see how they compare the two when the iPhone has been out for over a year and a half. Anyone else agree?

LINK
    12-30-08 05:26 PM
    They compare them because they are similar in many ways. The general consumer does not care how long a product has been out. Many of us are "right now" consumers. Many look at the Storm and believe that they should have known what to offer because they have been able to see what Apple has done and they could have been more prepared.

I love my Storm.
    12-30-08 05:44 PM
    Dunno, I have both devices and I'd say that was a pretty fair assessment. I'm surprised however, that there was no mention of how nice the display is on the Storm. It is very crisp and punchy, with better color and contrast than the iPhone (3G at least).

FWIW, CNET historically has not been pro-Apple.
    12-30-08 05:48 PM
    so..... the browser is opera by default, and the screen resolution is less than the iPhone?

Uhhh...... wut?
    12-30-08 05:58 PM
    CNet will promote whatever products/companies are "in" right now, it's as simple as that. They railed on Linux until Linux started becoming popular, then suddenly a bunch of pro-Linux articles started appearing. They historically have bashed Apple products until Apple products started becoming fashionable.

If the Storm starts rivaling the Jesus Phone in terms of popularity, Cnet will start saying other phones suck because they don't stand up against the Storm.

Long story short, Cnet is just looking to get eyeballs on ads. They probably figure that sooner or later CBS' investors are going to realize this was about as big a mistake as the AOL Time Warner merger. Cnet was circling the drain financially, after buying up trendy web properties like a drunken sailor on shore leave during the late 90s, then proceeding to drive away all the regulars that might have been converted into a revenue base. If the management is smart, they're doing anything they can to get some cash flow going so when CBS cuts them loose, they can survive. But any integrity Cnet had, they sold a very long time ago. I would say any last surviving shreds of integrity died with the whole GameSpot controversy.
    12-30-08 06:00 PM
    Dunno, I have both devices and I'd say that was a pretty fair assessment. I'm surprised however, that there was no mention of how nice the display is on the Storm. It is very crisp and punchy, with better color and contrast than the iPhone (3G at least).

FWIW, CNET historically has not been pro-Apple.
    I thought the first round was bogus. Sexiness? I mean, really...

I agreed with the point abut not believing the commercials when judging the storm's speed. I know commercials will "air brush" what you see but the storm's speed is way too exaggerated.
    12-30-08 06:04 PM
    I do not see how they compare the two when the iPhone has been out for over a year and a half. Anyone else agree?
    Respectfully, I never understood this logic. Both are electronic devices primarily designed to make calls. They both have touch screens, email and sms capabilities, music/photo/video players, GPS, etc. We're not talking about comparing a pizza to a pickup truck. We're not even talking about comparing a smart phone to a free LG flip. Is it fair to compare a brand new car model with one that's been on the market a few years? Yes. Just as it's fair to compare the Storm and the Iphone.
    12-30-08 06:12 PM
    What cnet does is print controversial stories so you and everyone else will post their name all over forums so google will get the masses to click on their site so they can sell ads based on traffic, simply put..And, it worked!
    12-30-08 06:19 PM
    Personally, I would be surprised if any news outlet reported they like their Storm better than an iPhone. (BusinessWeek is the only review were they were poured on the praise)

That being said, I'm stuck with Verizon.

This is one of the best phones (IMO) on the Verizon network. Who cares how it stacks up with the iPhone? We can talk when the iPhone is on VZW.
    12-30-08 06:37 PM
    Awful comparison... very biased in my opinion.
    12-30-08 06:45 PM
    I especially liked how they showed the night time city scape with the storm and the plush green grass and the Hulk with the iphone......bogus!
    12-30-08 07:26 PM
    Personally, I would be surprised if any news outlet reported they like their Storm better than an iPhone. (BusinessWeek is the only review were they were poured on the praise)

That being said, I'm stuck with Verizon.

This is one of the best phones (IMO) on the Verizon network. Who cares how it stacks up with the iPhone? We can talk when the iPhone is on VZW.
    Your right and I don't understand all of the comparison B.S. I turned off my iPhone for the Storm, I miss it sometimes but I don't miss AT&T. The Storm is in its own category just like the iPhone so choose what suits you better.
    12-30-08 08:06 PM
    iPhone = no BES!!!! That is all that really matters to me. CrackBerry rules!
    12-30-08 08:18 PM
    Question to everyone; u guys know better than me.
    How long has the Storm been out; maybe a month.
    Electronics fads come and go; IMHO the Storm is
    causing a ruckus. Why because it is still being
    compared to the iphone and will be for a long time
    to come. To me I don't think any other new phone
    haas made any headway against the iphone
    the way the Storm has.
    The Storm made it's mark......
    It just doesent have that wholesome Apple name.
    12-30-08 08:22 PM
    Question to everyone; u guys know better than me.
    How long has the Storm been out; maybe a month.
    Electronics fads come and go; IMHO the Storm is
    causing a ruckus. Why because it is still being
    compared to the iphone and will be for a long time
    to come. To me I don't think any other new phone
    haas made any headway against the iphone
    the way the Storm has.
    The Storm made it's mark......
    It just doesent have that wholesome Apple name.
    How are we defining "headway"? Did RIM report on storm sales yet?
    12-30-08 08:33 PM
    iPhone = no BES!!!! That is all that really matters to me. CrackBerry rules!
    I wouldn't be too blind in that respect. iPhone has ActiveSync which in my opinion is far better then BES. Full Exchange mailbox sync (FULL, no exceptions) with complete Push support for everything in that mailbox. Plus there's no extra licensing charge for each handset because you already paid for that when you bought the normal Exchange licenses. That's a BIG plus for people wanting to keep costs down on IT.
    12-30-08 09:30 PM
    I think CNET got it right.
    12-30-08 09:32 PM
    I'm sorry guys, I used the iphone for about a month.. and i couldn't put it down. I know, I know.. i'm a horrible person. I stick with verizon though, because the wife works for them.. (major discounts.. coughcough). Service in my area is pretty equal from both carriers. My first blackberry was a curve, and i fell in love with blackberrys. I now have the storm, and although i LOVE it. I hate to say that with all my apps loaded onto my iphone (ipod touch now) It is so much smoother and easier. I have faith in RIM. I am just on standby...
    12-30-08 09:38 PM
    I definitely agree that CNET is very biased towards the iPhone. I admit, I feel hard for the iPhone. I previously had a blackberry then went to the iPhone. The internet and the apps store make it worth most of the hype. But its really not a phone as much as it is a iTOY. I missed my Bb because of all the functionality it brings so I'm coming BACK!!! My storm comes in tomorrow. Sigh, can't wait!
    12-30-08 09:59 PM
    I believe that CNET was not too hard on the storm. It did have software issues and it was not perfect. The thing I didn't like is that most people who reviewed this phone didn't take time to learn how to use it. So I think the Storm got hit with a lot of flack for being complicated. I love my storm, but I know the iPhone is the phone to beat when it comes to fun. and Blackberrys are the phone to beat when it comes to business.
    12-30-08 10:07 PM
    How are we defining "headway"? Did RIM report on storm sales yet?

Here u go...............................................

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/not...s-call-120017/
    12-30-08 10:23 PM
    I thought the first round was bogus. Sexiness? I mean, really...

I agreed with the point abut not believing the commercials when judging the storm's speed. I know commercials will "air brush" what you see but the storm's speed is way too exaggerated.
    On this we can completely agree. I don't watch a lot of TV, so I've really only seen one Storm commercial, but they had web pages loading instantly after pressing the button. I have yet to see a desktop that can achieve anything even close to that, let alone a handheld.

I think a lot of unrealistic expectations were generated by Verizon's ad campaign for the Storm. The Jesus Phone ads I've seen are probably also a bit unrealistic, but not to the extent of the Storm ads, and of course the Jesus Phone is single tasking so it's a lot easier for apps to run efficiently. You just have to put up with a lack of cut and paste and other things that make the Storm (and other BBs) so great.
    12-30-08 10:35 PM
    I'm sorry guys, I used the iphone for about a month.. and i couldn't put it down. I know, I know.. i'm a horrible person. I stick with verizon though, because the wife works for them.. (major discounts.. coughcough). Service in my area is pretty equal from both carriers. My first blackberry was a curve, and i fell in love with blackberrys. I now have the storm, and although i LOVE it. I hate to say that with all my apps loaded onto my iphone (ipod touch now) It is so much smoother and easier. I have faith in RIM. I am just on standby...
    I'm story is similar.

I liked the iphone and couldnt put it down.
    I stick with vzw mostly because of the discounts.
    The curve made me fall in love with blackberry.
    I tried the storm but didn't like it. I used my refund to get a (real) ipod touch. I now carry my touch and my curve.
    12-30-08 11:26 PM
    Here u go...............................................

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/not...s-call-120017/
    I clicked thru the link on the link and didn't find more info. I see total number of units (all BBs) shipped, not the total number of storms activated.

One thing that jumped out at me is this:

- 75% of Storm purchasers are new BlackBerry users

I wonder what pct of CB members are new BB users. This would explain a lot...
    12-30-08 11:33 PM
    Storm owner and someone who has played with friends' iPhones for over a year now, so although I'm not completely impartial, I have several opinions on both.

Round 1: Sexiness. Completely subjective. And pointless.

Round 2: Navigation. I can type faster on my Storm than most people I know can on their iPhone, so to me this shouldn't be as lopsided. And I think the Storm typing isn't that great at all, but the iPhone is not any better. (no landscape typing?) Also, they exaggerate the speed of the iPhone. Although it may be easier to use and look a little prettier, so I give some points to iPhone. But what's the point of speed if you can't multitask?

Round 3: Features. Although the Storm doesn't have an App store, I've been surprised that i've been able to DL plenty of apps, and some that are still being developed, that usually doesn't happen on Apple's tightly controlled systems. But iPhones apps are plentiful, just don't mention Copy and Paste (or MMS)

Round 4 Web and Multimedia. No MMS or video recording on iPhone but it does have a better music player. I'm not sure what he's smoking when he says the video playback is miles better on the iPhone. I've compared them side by side running the same video DVD file and they both look great (I give the nod to Storm) but there are some variabilities from phone to phone.

Round 5 Call quality. I'll just mention how my former roommate had to borrow my Verizon phone everyday to make calls because his ATT phone couldn't get reception (YMMV). As far as speeds in commercials, has this guy ever seen an iPhone commercial? They make it look like the iPhone is some quad-core computer with a T1 connection. Granted the Storm commercial isn't realistic either, but let's just say they are both stretching the truth. It's called advertising. Not sure how you can say a phone has worse quality but still get a higher ranking for this category.

In the end, I think both phones are flawed (no such thing as a perfect product), but for me Verizon vs. ATT seals the deal for me. The push email with BIS has been amazing, and I generally like the click to select interface, but my typing still needs some improving coming from the Q 9m. Hopefully the software will continue to come for the Storm, which I think it will since it has been a hit for Verizon (which isn't hard considering their stock of phones).
    12-30-08 11:39 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD