what about people who swear by their blackberries, windows mobile phones, nokia, htc, etc, ninento, playstation. Every company has loyal fans but it's only Apple that gets picked on for their loyal fans.
    Simply, because Apple fans are the most defensive.
    11-12-08 08:09 PM
    U know this is going to keep going back and forth til one day we see an article stating that the Storm is equaling the iphone or surpassing it insales.
    Just my take on it
    11-12-08 08:16 PM
    It seems to me that the two phones (even though I've only touched one) are pretty even.

The iPhone has huge advantages in a few areas where the BlackBerry likely can't touch it:
    --The App Store...nothing BlackBerry has now is even close to competing with the App Store through iTunes
    --Wi-Fi...Verizon's 3G is much more reliable than at&t's, and much more widely available. Nevertheless, you can't underestimate Wi-Fi in this day and age, especially when "unlimited" plans are capped at 5GB of data.
    --MobileMe...yes, yes, I KNOW this has been a disaster so far, but all signs point to Apple rectifying the problem by years end.
    --The iPhone's cachet...no matter the product, it seems Apple can do no wrong. BlackBerry is certainly its closest competitor in the phone market--and is more popular, judging by the overall sales numbers--but no matter what argument you use, the average, uneducated citizen has the permanent idea that the iPhone is the best phone on the market, bar none. Even BlackBerry can't get people to stand in line for hours, even days to pick up its latest devices.

The Storm, however, seems--based on the released specs--to have a many smaller advantages over the iPhone.
    --Verizon's network...as Verizon's slogan states, a phone is only as good as the network it's on, and the network aspect can't be underestimated.
    --The Storm will have a better camera, with video capture capability
    --The Storm will have removable battery and memory capabilities, making these aspects theoretically superior to the iPhone's.
    --The Storm will have BlackBerry's push e-mail, which is assuredly superior to Apple's push attempts so far.
    --Storm will likely have a better screen for texting/e-mail, though this is highly subjective.
    --The Storm will have a slightly higher resolution.
    --The Storm will have a speaker phone.
    --The Storm will incorporate SMS Picture messaging.

The iPhone's success and admiration seems to stem from Apple's ability to make the "impossible" possible. The iPhone has taken mobile internet, media, and gaming to another level. Nevertheless, the iPhone lacks some of the most basic functionalities of other phones, like the inability to send picture messages, the lack of a speakerphone, and the lack of a video-recording capabilities. Some of the iPhone's downfalls are included on even the most outdated "dumphones."

I'm sure there are several things I've left out, but I don't know what's important to everyone else. Only time will tell how this phone truly compares to the iPhone. Thoughts on the importance of these features, or the future of the Storm, anyone?
    No iPhone here (I just won't switch to what I consider a sub-par carrier here in parts of NJ) but I do have a Touch. Agree with all your points except for mobile me. I have a .mac/.me account and it is a terrible service now.

As for the storm comments, I agree with all you said except the push email via apple. I've got to tell you, the push thru MS Exchange Server onto my Touch is actually better than it is on my Treo. I've been very impressed. Of course, I'm only getting that over WiFi so I'm not sure how it would work via AT&T's crappy 3G service.
    11-12-08 08:36 PM
    So if the ability to record video, to type in landscape, and to send/receive mms/sms messages is available on a jailbroken phone, then I'm sure Apple could send a software update to their handhelds and make them legit.

So why hasn't Apple done this yet?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-08 10:06 PM
    It seems to me that the two phones (even though I've only touched one) are pretty even.

The iPhone has huge advantages in a few areas where the BlackBerry likely can't touch it:
    --The App Store...nothing BlackBerry has now is even close to competing with the App Store through iTunes
    --Wi-Fi...Verizon's 3G is much more reliable than at&t's, and much more widely available. Nevertheless, you can't underestimate Wi-Fi in this day and age, especially when "unlimited" plans are capped at 5GB of data.
    --MobileMe...yes, yes, I KNOW this has been a disaster so far, but all signs point to Apple rectifying the problem by years end.
    --The iPhone's cachet...no matter the product, it seems Apple can do no wrong. BlackBerry is certainly its closest competitor in the phone market--and is more popular, judging by the overall sales numbers--but no matter what argument you use, the average, uneducated citizen has the permanent idea that the iPhone is the best phone on the market, bar none. Even BlackBerry can't get people to stand in line for hours, even days to pick up its latest devices.
    Using your list of advantages, you list MobileMe with the justification that it WILL BE fixed by years end. If you going to use future fixes as an advantage, seems that you can't give the advantage that Apple app store is better than anything blackberry has put out. Considering that RIM's app store isn't out yet, you can't say what app store is better than the other.

As for as wifi needed especially since the unlimited data is capped at 5gigs, a SMALL percentage of people use actually use up the 5gig.

11-12-08 10:22 PM
    Doesn't mobileme cost some 100 bucks per year though? I think I remember my roommate saying something like that...no thanks if so.
    11-12-08 10:26 PM
    So if the ability to record video, to type in landscape, and to send/receive mms/sms messages is available on a jailbroken phone, then I'm sure Apple could send a software update to their handhelds and make them legit.

So why hasn't Apple done this yet?

Carefull there.

There are apps to do what you've stated on a jailbroken iphone. However they are all in varying degree's of beta testing.

You can record video..however iirc you can't record at anywhere near 24fps.

You can recieve MMS's however the app needed is still in beta and doesn't allow sending MMS's of any kind.

You can get irealsms that lets you type in landscape. However the app just plain doesn't work very welll. They are working on a 2.0 release that looks to be a lot better and maybe even be a replacment for the OEM sms app. Plus the app costs money :/

Apple's SDK doesn't allow developers to touch certain applications..that's the reason why there are no apps to allow MMS, Landscape typing ect on the App store.

Until now (Hopefully) the iphone has been in a league of it's own, therefore it was never in Apple's better business interests to spend the money to provide these features. If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on the fact that we'll see those features released in a future iphone update a few months after the storm's release.
    11-13-08 12:40 PM
    Until now (Hopefully) the iphone has been in a league of it's own, therefore it was never in Apple's better business interests to spend the money to provide these features. If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on the fact that we'll see those features released in a future iphone update a few months after the storm's release.
    I'm a RIM fanboy but I give the iphone respect where respect is due. The iphone, being the multimedia powerhouse it is supposed to be, should have come with all these features stocked. Just because they are in a league of their own doesn't mean that they shouldn't have or it wasn't in their best interest to include these features when it seems people expect these features to be standard on any smartphone. Its a shame you have to jailbreak and use beta apps to do some of things it should be able to do in the first place. IMO

11-13-08 01:29 PM
    Actually, I have a funny story. I was out tonight with some of my friends and I was leaving and some guy wanted our numbers so I told him my phone was broken. He didn't believe me so I showed him my phone, and I told him I was waiting to get the Storm, and that I've been dealing with my broken phone for 3 weeks now, waiting for the Storm. And he goes, "well I didn't know if I should get the Storm or the Iphone. I mean I love BBs, the firm i work for had them and they were amazing, but the Iphone has such good 3rd party apps". So I basically put him in his place and told him all of the stuff I read on this thread, and convinced him to get the Storm. Someone should be paying me/us for this!
    11-13-08 11:01 PM
    Gotta love a girl who's technologically inclined.
    11-14-08 01:35 AM
    I'd like to pose a question mainly b/c I cannot find the answer within the specs or forums anywhere. I understand the Storm has an accelerometer sensor, but does it have a proximity sensor or is it needed? What are some thoughts on this or facts would be good too! -BT
    11-19-08 08:28 AM
86 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD