I'm creating this unbiased thread to stop the "i'm thinking about getting the storm" threads. I didn't see another one that wasn't unbiased or went into much depth. If so then perhaps we can combine them into one and sticky it?

Storm Pros
    - Blackberry BES & BIS Support (Business Stuff)
    - Battery Life
    - Removable Battery
    - High Resolution Screen (It's prettier to look at.)
    - Stereo Bluetooth
    - Tactile Feedback (Clicking Screen)
    - Copy and Paste
    - Multitasking (Multiple apps can run at once.)
    - Removable/Upgradeable Memory (Comes with 8gb)

iPhone Pros
    - App Store (With many free and inexpensive apps.)
    - Itunes Integration
    - WiFi
    - iPod Media Player
    - Safari Browser

Verizon Wireless Pros
    - Largest 3g Coverage (Verizon Coverage Map offers AT&T 3G/EVDO comparison : EVDOinfo.com)
    - Highest Rated Customer Service
    - Friend's & Family (Unlimited Calling up to 10 people)
    - Highest Call Quality (Most won't notice)

AT&T Pros
    - Slightly easier on the wallet.
    - Slightly faster 3g Speeds

I will not be listing any cons as many of the cons are highly debatable. If you have anything to add, let me know. I want this to remain unbiased so you AT&T users please feel free to add your comments. I will ignore opinions.

What one should I choose?

Choose the Storm if you:
    - Are going to use it for work.
    - Like multitasking... Such as editing a document in word and going online to check something at the same time while also opening up a power point presentation and checking your calendar.
    - Travel overseas.
    - Are a gadget geek.

Choose the iPhone if:
    - You are not tech savvy.
    - Ease of use. It is extremely user friendly. Great for first time smartphone users.
    - Plan to use your phone as a primary media player.

Do not get the storm if:
    - You just want a flashy phone.
    - Your not technologically inclined. While it doesn't require much, some things could easily stump some users.

Do not get the iPhone if:
    - Your in a smaller town or travel a lot.
    - You need to multitask.

If you need a blackberry but want the iPhone for the media player or fun factor... Buy the BlackBerry and get yourself an iPod Touch. The only other factor that needs to be heavily considered apart from both of these great phones, is the network. Many of you are locked into contracts or don't have the best coverage in your area by one or the other.

UPDATE:
    For the IT professionals out there (or anyone interested in business solutions) this article is a great read:
    BlackBerry's Storm in the enterprise
    Thanks to member DarrVao777.
    Last edited by Ravr; 02-25-09 at 06:53 PM.
    02-24-09 10:14 PM
    iphone is enterprise capable as well
    02-24-09 10:22 PM
    I don't think you should get a Storm if you have a Mac. I had a iPhone, went to the Storm when it came out, and am now back with iPhone as of a few weeks ago.

Long story short: Verizon Technical Support told me that they do NOT support Mac problems involving BB products. RIM then also told me they do not support Mac issues.

I had repeated problems with my syncing. My contacts and calendar items would be slightly corrupted continuously. But, the corrupt data would be subtle...not big crashes, more like little errors. For example, deleting one person's phone number. Or duplicating another contact entry. But, after 13 calls into Verizon and/or RIM, I finally agreed with them. Mac and RIM/BB just isn't well integrated yet. It may be one day...but not yet.

RIM technical support personnel don't even have Mac computers available for them to troubleshoot PocketMac sync issues while on the phone with you. They only use PC in the tech support system. So, that made it really difficult to troubleshoot.

I was a little surprised to hear Verizon tell me that they "never claimed to be Mac compatible". And, even more surprised when they put $$ where their mouth was and refunded my Storm purchase based on my problems. The Verizon supervisor said she was going to make sure that the CS/Tech support people who helped me previously are "educated to tell future callers that Mac is unsupported by RIM-Verizon technical support"

(For the record...I tried both PocketMac and Missing Sync, had problems with both)
    02-24-09 10:34 PM
    I am not sure what the name of the program is but I saw a program at Best Buy that allows you to run windows inside of the apple OS. I think it was 50 dollars. Sitting in the rack next to the apple display. Has anyone that has a mac tried that program. I know i would to be able to hold on to the more dependable carrier.
    02-24-09 10:46 PM
    Have both, like both for different reasons. I use the Storm as a voice phone, email and text. I use the iPhone for contacts and calendar with Mobile Me. iPhone on VZ would be great. Storm on VZ is great, iPhone on AT&T not so great in my area. Other areas the iPhone may be great also. I have a Bold on AT&T and it is great. It gets better reception than the iPhone for me and my area.
    02-24-09 10:46 PM
    For one, AT&T's "faster" 3g network is only available in some areas. So the iphone users in certain areas can't really benefit.

The iphone cant send picture messages (correct me if im wrong)
    02-24-09 11:16 PM
    iPhone also can't record videos.
    02-24-09 11:37 PM
    iPhone is a toy. Blackberry Storm is my Blackberry. End of story.

And, AT&T "3g" speed where and if available isn't as fast as VZW's. VZW is planning to hit 4G already. I know AT&T is too, but VZW will before.

Anyways, VZW is covered mostly anywhere, even inside the closet for the iPhone owners.
    02-24-09 11:43 PM
    What one should I choose?

Choose the Storm if you:
    - Like multitasking... Such as editing a document in word and going online to check something at the same time while also opening up a power point presentation and checking your calendar.
    This is true but just plan to pull your battery and wait 4-6 mins for your BB to boot back up!
    02-24-09 11:46 PM
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but with the iPhone you can't send mms messages (ex. picture messages)?
    02-24-09 11:49 PM
    i'm just not sold on the iphone being considered a true 'smartphone'. the fact that it cannot multitask speaks alot to that point. don't get me wrong, it's a neat device that does alot of cool stuff, but comparing it to a blackberry just doesn't make sense to me...i feel like i could clearly draw a line between their user bases.
    02-25-09 12:02 AM
    I believe the iPhone cannot recieve text messages with attachments either. They need to use email for that instead.

Nero
    02-25-09 12:02 AM
    iphone is enterprise capable as well
    Yes it is... However when it comes to enterprise integration the BlackBerry wins, hands down. iPhone is trying to play catch up when it comes to that end of the spectrum.
    02-25-09 12:39 AM
    This is true but just plan to pull your battery and wait 4-6 mins for your BB to boot back up!
    I never had to do a battery pull with .75, I figure I was just one of the lucky ones. I won't hold that against the beta OS's because they are just that, beta's. 103 was the most stable for me.
    02-25-09 12:41 AM
    iPhone also can't record videos.
    True, however that cannot be held against it as there are MANY free apps that enable the capture of video.
    02-25-09 12:41 AM
    i'm just not sold on the iphone being considered a true 'smartphone'. the fact that it cannot multitask speaks alot to that point. don't get me wrong, it's a neat device that does alot of cool stuff, but comparing it to a blackberry just doesn't make sense to me...i feel like i could clearly draw a line between their user bases.
    I completely agree, I think the only real reason why they are being compared is for thier innovativeness in their respective markets and because they look similar. Ultimately, if you want a phone as a tool, to keep in touch with everything, and everyone, use apps in a productive manner and are a more business minded person, then blackberry's are for you, and always have been. If you simply want a media player/game station that has flashy graphics and happens to make phone calls, then the iPhone is for you, as is the Dare, the Sync, the Helio Ocean (discontinued?), and all the other 'wanna-be' smartphones out there. If we truly want to start comparing apples to apples (or should i say berries to berries), then we should start comparing the storm to, say the HTC Fuze, the HP smartphones (rather useless but still the same minded idea), and things like that.

I used to work for apple and am a die-hard Apple/Mac user, but I still stand true to the fact that for true business and actual 'work' use, you can't beat a blackberry.

And so begins the onslaught of "my iPhone is too a smartphone" comments that are undoubtedly about to begin.....I can't here you, nah nah nah nah!!!!
    02-25-09 12:46 AM
    I don't think you should get a Storm if you have a Mac. I had a iPhone, went to the Storm when it came out, and am now back with iPhone as of a few weeks ago.

(For the record...I tried both PocketMac and Missing Sync, had problems with both)
    I have a MacBook with Missing Sync 1 (not 2.0, it does not work well yet IMHO). My BB Storm syncs great and have no problems. Your recommendation of not getting a Storm if you have a Mac is incorrect but you may have to be a little tech savy.
    If needed be, having BootCamp and windows xp helps with some downloads and apps (like Datavault), but for syncing calendars and contacts, I wont change my Mac/BB Storm combination.
    If iPhone were available on VZN I may check it out. Where I live, ATT reception is terrible.
    Last edited by gilency; 02-25-09 at 12:51 AM.
    02-25-09 12:47 AM
    Great thread! Unbiased objective look at both phones! Kudos

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 12:53 AM
    No cut & paste, No A2DP Bluetooth Support, No video recording, No MMS, No running apps in background.

Smartphone my ***.
    02-25-09 12:53 AM
    Two of my friends have the blackberry bold and I am obviously using a storm. I can say that I have smoked them in multiple locations many times over as far as browser 3g speed is concerned. I don't get where ATT came up with "fastest 3g network" cause I personally haven't seen it for myself. Yes, I live in an area where verizon and att get comparable coverage. I would never switch to ATT just due to the fact that there pricing is about the same as verizon and teh coverage isn't that great.
    02-25-09 12:55 AM
    Wow...nice thread. Really good idea.

I would say this much I agree with:
    Get an Iphone if you are a technodolt (stupid with computer stuffs)
    Get a Storm if you are in need of multitasking

But one should add the negative side of those pros
    Get an Iphone if you are a technodolt and are very impatient with phones in general
    Get a storm if you don't mind rebooting a phone and losing calls because your phone just locked up. Also if you don't mind memory leaks or a Java based OS that doesn't have much in the way of apps. In other words...you have GOT to be patient if you are going to own a Storm, it is not a phone that you just buy and it just works. No you have to work on it in order to get it working the way you want to work.

Not to rag but if we are going to suggest a Storm to anyone, lets be honest about what they are getting themselves into. Its a relationship, with your phone, that is going to be really awesome sometimes and really crappy at other times.

I personally have a love/hate relationship with my Storm. I love its versatility but hate its unpredictability.
    02-25-09 12:58 AM
    Two of my friends have the blackberry bold and I am obviously using a storm. I can say that I have smoked them in multiple locations many times over as far as browser 3g speed is concerned. I don't get where ATT came up with "fastest 3g network" cause I personally haven't seen it for myself. Yes, I live in an area where verizon and att get comparable coverage. I would never switch to ATT just due to the fact that there pricing is about the same as verizon and teh coverage isn't that great.
    I was told a while back that ATT used the "fastest 3G network" claim under a technicality..specifically, Verizon was calling their network by the actual name of EV-DO and not 3G. So, ATT was free to claim it had the fastest 3G network. A few lawsuits later, ATT has pulled the ads and Verizon now also calls their network 3G. *Shrug* Just what I heard.
    02-25-09 12:59 AM
    iPhone is a toy. Blackberry Storm is my Blackberry. End of story.

And, AT&T "3g" speed where and if available isn't as fast as VZW's. VZW is planning to hit 4G already. I know AT&T is too, but VZW will before.

Anyways, VZW is covered mostly anywhere, even inside the closet for the iPhone owners.
    You are a tool. So much for the comment from pkcable about it being an unbiased and objective thread.

Your comments also point to you being uneducated and a homophobe. Uneducated because you say that AT&T's 3G isn't as fast and VZW's. AT&T's HSDPA network is actually faster but not by much. I have both the iPhone, Storm, and Bold and both the iPhone and Bold are faster than the Storm. Plus the iPhone has a better browser. Even if the iPhone were slower, I'd rather use it for surfing than the BB browser. The Storms is improved over the Bold, but still not a great experience. AT&T's 3G is not as wide spread, but it is faster. There's your opinion about it and then there is the science behind it. The science says HSDPA is faster than EVDO Rev A. Plus, you still cannot do voice and data functions at the same time on EVDO Rev A.

The iPhone is not a toy unless you want it as one. Then it is an excellent toy. But since RIM is working so hard to put "toys" on their devices as well; cameras; music and video players, crappy games but games none the less, I suppose there may be something to the who "toy" concept. The Storm is trying very hard to be a "toy". It just isn't quite there yet.

As far as your last comment, only a latent homosexual, in denial of his own sexuality, still makes gay jokes. Why don't YOU come out of the closet and stop the hate?
    Last edited by Evilhomer; 02-25-09 at 01:17 AM.
    02-25-09 01:08 AM
    You are a tool. So much for the comment from pkcable about it being an unbiased and objective thread.

Your comments also point to you being uneducated and a homophobe. Uneducated because you say that AT&T's 3G isn't as fast and VZW's. AT&T's HSDPA network is actually faster but not by much. I have both the iPhone, Storm, and Bold and both the iPhone and Bold are faster than the Storm. Plus the iPhone has a better browser. Even if the iPhone were slower, I'd rather use it for surfing than the BB browser. The Storms is improved over the Bold, but still not a great experience. AT&T's 3G is not as wide spread, but it is faster. There's your opinion about it and then there is the science behind it. The science says HSDPA is faster than EVDO Rev A. Plus, you still cannot do voice and data functions at the same time on EVDO Rev A.

The iPhone is not a toy unless you want it as one. Then it is an excellent toy. But since RIM is working so hard to put "toys" on their devices as well; cameras; music and video players, crappy games but games none the less, I suppose there may be something to the who "toy" concept. The Storm is trying very hard to be a "toy". It just isn't quite there yet.

As far as your last comment, only a latent homosexual, in denial of his own sexuality, still makes gay jokes. Why don't YOU come out of the closet and stop the hate?
    roflmao!! hilarious..
    02-25-09 01:45 AM
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but with the iPhone you can't send mms messages (ex. picture messages)?
    Corect

As much as I hate the iPhone and everything it stands for I do need to corect you here. It's not that the phone cant multitask at all, it can, it just has very LIMITED multitasking (suft the web and listen to music, but most other apps need to close when not being used)
    02-25-09 01:57 AM
105 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD