You must have the early beta Storm for next year because you don't have anything close to 1gig of app space.
    Homer stated "storage" several times in his post. He was asking where we are going to "store" the applications. The Storm is "rated" for 1 gigabyte of internal memory. The apps can be stored there. He made no reference to the Storm's 128mb of flash memory (aka RAM). You should read and think before you flame.

ROFLMFAO!! He probably thinks that his 500gb hard drive actually gives him 500 gigs of available space. And that's his 4gig memory card has 4 gigs of available space. God I love it with the clueless chime in. And he calls himself a Ninja. Etch A Sketch Ninja maybe...

FYI: "Ninja". You should check the "available" application memory on your Storm.. but only if you want to have a good, long cry.
    You're coming at me all wrong...in so many ways...it sounds like you have confused yourself. You sound like a tool.

Calm down... I believe it's a simple misunderstanding.

It seems as if the member is referring to the App Memory... This isn't the amount of space you have to store the physical apps, it is used when apps are running. If your running 10 apps, your app memory will go down, close 5 and it will go back up. The phone does have have 1 gig of internal memory for the physical storage of anything the phone may use.

It's essentially the "RAM" of the phone.
    Thanks.

I'm looking at my memory readings right now...the storm comes with 1GB of internal memory, so that's 1024MB. after the OS is installed we are down to 879.2MB. I have 12 apps installed which leaves me with 874.6MB of free space. So, you are correct, we don't have 1GB of app space, we have 879.2MB of app space, and with 12 apps using only 4.6MB of space (that averages out to roughly 400KB per app), essentially I can install another 2,238 apps before I run out of space. Man, I better start prioritizing!!
    I'm not sure where you are getting your 50MB of space figures from but they seem a little distorted.

As for robustness, you're right, I'm pretty sure we are not going to be able to play mario cart and be able to steer by tilting the phone, or create and amazing app that will pick the restaurant we want to eat at by shaking our storms, I guess we will just have to stick with such unrobust programs like full office suites, GPS programs, and other business related programs. Excuse me while I go cry in the corner.

EDIT: Sorry, just looked up the tech specs and contrary to the originally stated 1024MB of internal memory, it is acutally 1,048,576KB. my fault for misleading the masses, wouldn't want evilhomer to start some rant about how if it is stated to have a 500GB hard drive I actually think it has 500GB of available space....oh wait, too late.
    Thanks.

Wow, talk about clueless. Yes, evilhomer, when a capacity is stated, it is not that you have that full capacity available. but Mr. Ninja was talking about the difference between storage memory (ie. how many actual programs you can store), and application memory (ie. memory available for programs to use while running). Another side note is that as for the RAM (application memory) specs, the storm has 192MB and the iPhone has 128MB (which seems a might pointless as you can only run one program at once due to the lack of mulit-tasking). So yes, the iPhone can physically store more program files than the internal memory of the storm, but as for the RAM side of it, the storm wins.
    Thanks.
    02-26-09 07:19 PM

As for robustness, you're right, I'm pretty sure we are not going to be able to play mario cart and be able to steer by tilting the phone, or create and amazing app that will pick the restaurant we want to eat at by shaking our storms, I guess we will just have to stick with such unrobust programs like full office suites, GPS programs, and other business related programs. Excuse me while I go cry in the corner.
    So, in other words, you are going to be stuck with the same, small, java based crap, overpriced applications that BB has always been stuck with. Plus, my Storm will barley run the stock apps with the current memory, so I don't see how the 3rd party apps are going to be of any use. First thing I read in the Storm forums is "Uninstall your 3rd party apps!! Don't install VZNavigator. Get rid of Weather Bug!! Be sure to do a battery pull a couple of times a day so that you have a chance of getting your email and phone calls!!!"

As far as full office suites and GPS, everyone knows they are on the way. Actually I already have a usable GPS with G-Maps. Also it will have a native SlingPlayer app. Something I DON'T see beta software for for the Storm at Slingmedia's site. So I looks like the iPhone will have it's cake and it too as far as apps go.

But that's okay. Storm owners don't really want to have "fun" with their devices in that way. Silly, 3D accelerated games, and Slingplayer. Why, if you had any fun with the Storm, people might not think you are the serious, no-nonsense "business professionals" that you are...
    Last edited by Evilhomer; 02-26-09 at 11:21 PM.
    02-26-09 11:13 PM
    Originally Posted by IrishBrit
    Wow, talk about clueless. Yes, evilhomer, when a capacity is stated, it is not that you have that full capacity available. but Mr. Ninja was talking about the difference between storage memory (ie. how many actual programs you can store), and application memory (ie. memory available for programs to use while running). Another side note is that as for the RAM (application memory) specs, the storm has 192MB and the iPhone has 128MB (which seems a might pointless as you can only run one program at once due to the lack of mulit-tasking). So yes, the iPhone can physically store more program files than the internal memory of the storm, but as for the RAM side of it, the storm wins.

Actually, the iPhone can multitask just fine. It's just currently limited to the native applications. You can text, make phone calls, listen to music, and send an email all at the same time. As for the 3rd party apps, most people here think they are all junk anyway, so who cares? Even though I'd like my Beejive to run in the background, I can't think of any other apps that I need running in the background that don't already.
    02-26-09 11:18 PM
    As for the 3rd party apps, most people here think they are all junk anyway, so who cares?
    Wait...didn't this arguement start with a discussion about where us storm users were going to store our 3rd party apps??? so if most of the apps are junk then why are you so concerned about having space to store them. It seems like you are backpedaling a tad bit.
    02-28-09 01:20 PM
    So, in other words, you are going to be stuck with the same, small, java based crap, overpriced applications that BB has always been stuck with. Plus, my Storm will barley run the stock apps with the current memory, so I don't see how the 3rd party apps are going to be of any use. First thing I read in the Storm forums is "Uninstall your 3rd party apps!! Don't install VZNavigator. Get rid of Weather Bug!! Be sure to do a battery pull a couple of times a day so that you have a chance of getting your email and phone calls!!!"

As far as full office suites and GPS, everyone knows they are on the way. Actually I already have a usable GPS with G-Maps. Also it will have a native SlingPlayer app. Something I DON'T see beta software for for the Storm at Slingmedia's site. So I looks like the iPhone will have it's cake and it too as far as apps go.

But that's okay. Storm owners don't really want to have "fun" with their devices in that way. Silly, 3D accelerated games, and Slingplayer. Why, if you had any fun with the Storm, people might not think you are the serious, no-nonsense "business professionals" that you are...

If your so unhappy with the storm, stop whining about it and go get your I-phone, unlock your storm and sell it.
    02-28-09 01:26 PM
105 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD