[QUOTE=WhiteGold;1792150]
    I don't think you should get a Storm if you have a Mac. I had a iPhone, went to the Storm when it came out, and am now back with iPhone as of a few weeks ago.

Long story short: Verizon Technical Support told me that they do NOT support Mac problems involving BB products. RIM then also told me they do not support Mac issues.

I had repeated problems with my syncing. My contacts and calendar items would be slightly corrupted continuously. But, the corrupt data would be subtle...not big crashes, more like little errors. For example, deleting one person's phone number. Or duplicating another contact entry. But, after 13 calls into Verizon and/or RIM, I finally agreed with them. Mac and RIM/BB just isn't well integrated yet. It may be one day...but not yet.

RIM technical support personnel don't even have Mac computers available for them to troubleshoot PocketMac sync issues while on the phone with you. They only use PC in the tech support system. So, that made it really difficult to troubleshoot.

I was a little surprised to hear Verizon tell me that they "never claimed to be Mac compatible". And, even more surprised when they put $$ where their mouth was and refunded my Storm purchase based on my problems. The Verizon supervisor said she was going to make sure that the CS/Tech support people who helped me previously are "educated to tell future callers that Mac is unsupported by RIM-Verizon technical support"

I have an imac and a storm, everything works fine you just need to learn how to bootcamp

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ok, good point. I'll revise my statement. I don't think you should get a Storm if you want to sync it on a Mac OSX-based application. Instead, you should figure out a way to use RIM's Desktop Manager for the Windows environment.
    02-25-09 11:44 PM
    sorry to disapoint you but ATT has the fastest 3G network in the US...add to that it can transit voice and data simultaneously while VZW cannot
    i dont know where you are getting that "stuff" you're posting from but i thought i might help you get your facts straight
    and you sound like a wonderful ATT fanboy

I wish I could msg and talk at the sametimes too. But really doesnt bother me.

You do have the fastest LIMITED 3G in the US.

I hope you know your facts...
    02-26-09 12:07 AM
    Please tell me where a BB owner is going to store those apps? Since you can't store and run apps from the memory card, you only really have around 40 ~ 50mb of storage in main memory. Additionally, the Storm can barely run the core apps without constant freeze ups and batter pulls.

I've asked this question in many threads and have received no answer. BB may launch a great "App Store" but the real question is where you are going to put them? The only thing I can think of is that they are going to have to be very small programs and therefore, won't be very robust.
    You must have the early beta Storm for next year because you don't have anything close to 1gig of app space.
    I'm looking at my memory readings right now...the storm comes with 1GB of internal memory, so that's 1024MB. after the OS is installed we are down to 879.2MB. I have 12 apps installed which leaves me with 874.6MB of free space. So, you are correct, we don't have 1GB of app space, we have 879.2MB of app space, and with 12 apps using only 4.6MB of space (that averages out to roughly 400KB per app), essentially I can install another 2,238 apps before I run out of space. Man, I better start prioritizing!!
    I'm not sure where you are getting your 50MB of space figures from but they seem a little distorted.

As for robustness, you're right, I'm pretty sure we are not going to be able to play mario cart and be able to steer by tilting the phone, or create and amazing app that will pick the restaurant we want to eat at by shaking our storms, I guess we will just have to stick with such unrobust programs like full office suites, GPS programs, and other business related programs. Excuse me while I go cry in the corner.

EDIT: Sorry, just looked up the tech specs and contrary to the originally stated 1024MB of internal memory, it is acutally 1,048,576KB. my fault for misleading the masses, wouldn't want evilhomer to start some rant about how if it is stated to have a 500GB hard drive I actually think it has 500GB of available space....oh wait, too late.
    Last edited by IrishBrit; 02-26-09 at 12:38 AM.
    02-26-09 12:17 AM
    sorry to disapoint you but ATT has the fastest 3G network in the US...add to that it can transit voice and data simultaneously while VZW cannot
    i dont know where you are getting that "stuff" you're posting from but i thought i might help you get your facts straight
    AT&T may be a little faster but that won't do a bit of good without coverage. I find dead spots all over where I live on AT&T and where they lack Verizon shines.
    02-26-09 12:22 AM
    I'm looking at my memory readings right now...the storm comes with 1GB of internal memory, so that's 1024MB. after the OS is installed we are down to 879.2MB. I have 12 apps installed which leaves me with 874.6MB of free space. So, you are correct, we don't have 1GB of app space, we have 879.2MB of app space, and with 12 apps using only 4.6MB of space (that averages out to roughly 400KB per app), essentially I can install another 2,238 apps before I run out of space. Man, I better start prioritizing!!
    I'm not sure where you are getting your 50MB of space figures from but they seem a little distorted.

As for robustness, you're right, I'm pretty sure we are not going to be able to play mario cart and be able to steer by tilting the phone, or create and amazing app that will pick the restaurant we want to eat at by shaking our storms, I guess we will just have to stick with such unrobust programs like full office suites, GPS programs, and other business related programs. Excuse me while I go cry in the corner.
    I agree, If i wanted to play games I would get an I-phone, but I want to do business and have a little fun. And the Storm is way more customizable.
    02-26-09 12:25 AM
    ROFLMFAO!! He probably thinks that his 500gb hard drive actually gives him 500 gigs of available space. And that's his 4gig memory card has 4 gigs of available space. God I love it with the clueless chime in. And he calls himself a Ninja. Etch A Sketch Ninja maybe...

FYI: "Ninja". You should check the "available" application memory on your Storm.. but only if you want to have a good, long cry.
    Wow, talk about clueless. Yes, evilhomer, when a capacity is stated, it is not that you have that full capacity available. but Mr. Ninja was talking about the difference between storage memory (ie. how many actual programs you can store), and application memory (ie. memory available for programs to use while running). Another side note is that as for the RAM (application memory) specs, the storm has 192MB and the iPhone has 128MB (which seems a might pointless as you can only run one program at once due to the lack of mulit-tasking). So yes, the iPhone can physically store more program files than the internal memory of the storm, but as for the RAM side of it, the storm wins.
    Last edited by IrishBrit; 02-26-09 at 12:39 AM.
    02-26-09 12:34 AM
    iPhone on Verizon? Then we can have this debate. I'm not switching to AT&T.
    I don't think the OP isn't looking to turn this into a debate.......
    02-26-09 12:49 AM
    [QUOTE=katiedis;1792986]

Ok, good point. I'll revise my statement. I don't think you should get a Storm if you want to sync it on a Mac OSX-based application. Instead, you should figure out a way to use RIM's Desktop Manager for the Windows environment.
    Maybe Im lucky...

I bought the Storm for the holidays for my wife, an OSX user....
    Installed the Mac version of the RIM desktop manager.

Worked like a charm, and IMO, a better media sync then on the PC, since it syncs both music and video from iTunes, where the RIM media sync only worked on music, and I had to use the god awful roxio... (until I learned how to make it show up as an external drive..
    02-26-09 01:01 AM
    i will agree with one item that evilhomer stated (don't want to seem that I hate the guy), the comment that infers that all iPhone users are gay and need to come out of the closet is completely unnecessary. People like the one who made the comment are completely close minded and are simply trying to get a rise out of people with shock value, and comments like these do not belong in a place like this. I think the site you want is www. kkk .com
    02-26-09 01:35 AM
    with the new update id have to tip my cap off to the storm (guess its because im tired of my iphone and love my bold lol)
    02-26-09 01:36 AM
    Also, isn't there software (aerize?) That let's you install and run apps from the card, which would allow the storm 32gb of app storage? Or does it not work?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 02:02 AM
    have had the first iphone and iphone 3G, just recently switched to BB Storm, and found that not only is verizon the best provider in my area, i like the storm alot better then the iphone, the storms got little features that i need a lot compared to the iphone
    02-26-09 02:46 AM
    heres a great article i came across...

Gadget Gurus - GigaOM - Salon.com
    02-26-09 10:24 AM
    I am sure that some of these things have been covered here ya go all the same.

The storm also has a camera with auto focus...
    The storm can change your OS theme...
    There is a new version of the storm coming out with wireless...
    The storm handles Java...
    The storm has more memory (in certain respects)...
    The data transfer speeds are faster on the EVDO then ATT's 3G but it has its limitations as well (check the documentation and test if you don't agree)...
    The Storm has copy and paste...
    The Storm can handle .doc, .exel, .pdf, .ppt
    The Iphone some time works in a business environment like its supposed to but don't count on it (yes I am a IT guy)

Don't get me wrong the Iphone is a great toy and not a bad phone, but that's really about all it is. Its not on the same business level as the storm.
    02-26-09 10:43 AM
    [QUOTE=hawkxp;1793598]
    Maybe Im lucky...

I bought the Storm for the holidays for my wife, an OSX user....
    Installed the Mac version of the RIM desktop manager.

Worked like a charm, and IMO, a better media sync then on the PC, since it syncs both music and video from iTunes, where the RIM media sync only worked on music, and I had to use the god awful roxio... (until I learned how to make it show up as an external drive..
    I have to admit, I am not sure how you did that hawk, RIMS official DM software isnt out till some time this year... however i guess it could have come out early. There is a work around with pocket mac if that's what your thinking.

and no offense but while i am sure using itunes is better for mac users (and I know it is from experience) I would take the pc version any day. Not only can you back up your whole device (messages, contacts, settings, everything) like a image file and restore it with one click but the BB acts as a MTP device on windows so its just a matter of drag and drop anyway. The upside to roxio is it will convert video files for those that don't know how. Granted slow and not great but its better than no video at all if you don't want to put the leg work into it.
    02-26-09 10:49 AM
    Don't get me wrong the Iphone is a great toy and not a bad phone, but that's really about all it is. Its not on the same business level as the storm.
    agree wholeheartedly
    02-26-09 11:05 AM
    You should throw in Themeable for the Storm if that's a word haha... As far as I know, you can't change the look and feel of the iPhone. There are already some great themes coming out for the Storm!
    02-26-09 11:27 AM
    I have an ipod touch and love the fun factor of it (I have the same OS as the iphone), but could never use that for business. It's pretty inexcusable that there's no landscape keyboard in email (it is there in the browser), nor cut and paste.

Also, interestingly I've downloaded the same exact mp4 files of some movies, trailers, etc onto my ipod and Storm and the picture quality every time has been a notch better on my Storm - better contrast, a little more detail, which suprised me because the ipod and iphone are media players first, which on the Storm the phone/email is first.
    02-26-09 11:45 AM

Correct, the iPhone is a level or two above the Storm in terms of business.
    Much better OWA connectivity, not need for BES (YAY! no more crap software from RIM)
    VPN client, nothing even on the radar for the Storm

"Web 2.0" browser, I would consider the Storm browser WAP.

WebEx support for the iPhone

And last time I checked my work had WiFi
    02-26-09 01:22 PM
    I have an ipod touch and love the fun factor of it (I have the same OS as the iphone), but could never use that for business. It's pretty inexcusable that there's no landscape keyboard in email (it is there in the browser), nor cut and paste.

Also, interestingly I've downloaded the same exact mp4 files of some movies, trailers, etc onto my ipod and Storm and the picture quality every time has been a notch better on my Storm - better contrast, a little more detail, which suprised me because the ipod and iphone are media players first, which on the Storm the phone/email is first.
    The lack of a landscape keyboard for email is ridiculous. A huge flaw. As well as missing cut and paste. Lord knows they've had enough time to resolve those issues.

I found the video and definitely sound quality to be much better on the Storm as well. The media player controls, however, are much smoother on the iPhone/iPod Touch.
    02-26-09 01:28 PM

Great points, the iPhone can not be used for business because there is no landscape keyboard in email, and the videos are a notch better on the Storm, and there is no cut and paste.

Technology moves fast, RIM gust got passed up like they are standing still.
    02-26-09 01:45 PM
    i've got friends who have the iphone and i like it - i just like the storm better it's the best with email and i like it's multi media interface i do take pic's with it and use for it music, gps has worked fine for me aswell not much else to say for me anyway
    02-26-09 02:12 PM
    Apparently there is a rumor floating around that the storm is already 4g ready for LTE... It interested and I felt as if I had to share. I'll be doing some investigating to see if I can shed light and either put the rumor to rest or cause heart attacks in millions of BB user's around the world.
    02-26-09 03:46 PM
    and you sound like a wonderful ATT fanboy

I wish I could msg and talk at the sametimes too. But really doesnt bother me.

You do have the fastest LIMITED 3G in the US.

I hope you know your facts...
    riiight ATT has limited 3G and VZW's EVDO is available on ever inch of US soil?
    sorry to disapoint you but they are both limited to mostly cities
    go look at a coverage map then try to pull another fast one
    where i work and roam my Bold is on 3G everyday all day...i cant ask for anything more
    and when i'm using my GPS,texting and on a call simultaneously you can pat yourself on the back because your "superior" network allows you to only do one thing at a time with its faux broadband network
    02-26-09 04:28 PM
    Another side note is that as for the RAM (application memory) specs, the storm has 192MB and the iPhone has 128MB (which seems a might pointless as you can only run one program at once due to the lack of mulit-tasking). So yes, the iPhone can physically store more program files than the internal memory of the storm, but as for the RAM side of it, the storm wins.
    Actually the storm only has 128MB app memory too. So there the same in that aspect.
    02-26-09 04:31 PM
105 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD