Hey guys just want to start a comparison of these two phones. I have been dying for the Storm to come out and it's still the phone I am getting but what do you guys think of the G1 coming out and what does it have that is better than the Storm and what does the Storm have that is better than the G1. Just want a nice informative thread more so on the G1 since we already have tons of info on the Storm here so a comparison for anyone that has info would be great.

Also the reason I ask is because my friend who is a manager at T-mobile received the phone already for attending a training. I played around with it and I really like the fact that it's touch screen and also has a button qwerty keyboard. Most importantly it has very cool features like being able to scan items with the phone (scanning the barcode) and seeing bargains for it and other related items. That's just one of the cool things, I'm sure Google has a lot planned for it.

So what else?
    10-13-08 03:42 AM
    Here is someones experience with the Storm:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/my-...e-storm-81942/
    10-13-08 09:00 AM
    The G1 has no Enterprise email at all. Only consider this device if you use Google and gmail for everthing.
    10-13-08 09:11 AM
    The G1 has no Enterprise email at all. Only consider this device if you use Google and gmail for everthing.
    you don't use google and gmail for everything? FAIL
    10-13-08 10:24 AM
    G1 looks ugly compared to the Storm too..
    10-13-08 01:27 PM
    lol the G1 can scan barcodes?
    10-13-08 01:32 PM
    Ok anyone else have some good info beside it being ugly lol. The enterprise email is one new thing I learned in this thread so far, what else is there. And yes KEYS it scans barcodes lol.
    10-13-08 06:12 PM
    lol the G1 can scan barcodes?
    there are a lot of great programs for the android platform, and one of the programs out there is, if you are in a store, you take a picture of the barcode and it acknowledges the product and then searches the area for the best price. something im sure the iphone will be coming out with soon.
    10-13-08 06:19 PM
    G1 looks ugly compared to the Storm too..
    Yeah, I am not a fan of the way it looks as well. The Storm looks so hawt.
    10-13-08 06:38 PM
    there are a lot of great programs for the android platform, and one of the programs out there is, if you are in a store, you take a picture of the barcode and it acknowledges the product and then searches the area for the best price. something im sure the iphone will be coming out with soon.
    I'm almost sure I saw someone do that with an iPhone awhile back... it wasn't an official 3rd party app...it was back in the day when jailbreaking was the big thing...I can't, for the life of me, remember where I saw it though... Macrumors.com maybe?

EDIT:

This isn't what I was thinking of, but it's proof of concept:

ScanLife: Your iPhone Now Reads Barcodes. - Mashable
    Last edited by RobUM2011; 10-13-08 at 06:45 PM.
    10-13-08 06:41 PM
    Funny, I just read on Five fun smartphone tips that you can unter a UPC in google, and it will do exactly the same thing - no third party app required.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by driwashsolutions; 10-14-08 at 07:24 AM.
    10-13-08 06:49 PM
    Two words: Heaphone jack.
    Storm has it. G1 does not.
    10-13-08 06:51 PM
    Funny, I just read on www.mattcutts.com that you can unter a UPC in google, and it will do exactly the same thing - no third party app required.

Well so much for getting the phone as a bar code reader. Guess that's one cool feature every phone can have. One more reason for me to stay with the Storm.

I even heard the Storm will have a facial recognition feature. You take a picture of a person's face and if at some point in the future a person looks familiar to you but you are unsure of who they are, you can look at your pictures to see if it's anyone you recognize.

Last edited by skyys; 10-13-08 at 07:50 PM.
    10-13-08 07:44 PM
    Yeah, I am not a fan of the way it looks as well. The Storm looks so hawt.
    I agree the G1 isnt too pretty! but I do believe what makes that phone so popular is the OS, and the android will eventually make its way to better phones and other providers.

I for sure will be buying a Storm only because I'm soo impatient now! finally a "cool and fun" to come to Verizon. My NE2 has been up for 10 months now, and I just cant wait any longer.
    10-13-08 08:03 PM
    I'm almost sure I saw someone do that with an iPhone awhile back... it wasn't an official 3rd party app...it was back in the day when jailbreaking was the big thing...I can't, for the life of me, remember where I saw it though... Macrumors.com maybe?

EDIT:

This isn't what I was thinking of, but it's proof of concept:

ScanLife: Your iPhone Now Reads Barcodes. - Mashable
    T-Mobiles data plan?
    10-13-08 08:21 PM
    It looks interesting. IMO, the G1 has that SideKick flavor to it (the keyboard screams Sidekick to me).

I think that lefties may have slight trouble with the G1.

The Storm can rotate to position physical keys either right or left. G1's screen slides up in one direction, resulting in send/end/home back keys to be right positioned only.
    10-13-08 08:36 PM
    I was actually in a TMO store playing with the G1 the other day. I must say, it is an interesting phone. Verizon needs to hurry up and at least get working models into stores ASAP because the t mobile reps were really pushing this device. The big plus I have for this phone is Android and open development. Developers can tap into its potential and do great things. However, I don't expect to see it really take off for at least another 6 months or so. On the other hand, RIM has a chance next week, with the developer conference, to really hit back hard and I am hoping they have a good strategy going into development. The G1 had things I did not like, such as a proprietary headphone jack and no flash on the camera. I am definitely still holding out for the Storm however, due to its email capabilities and I am putting a lot of hope into open development for the Storm come next week at the Developer's Conference.
    10-14-08 12:04 AM
    g1 browser is definitely better than the storms
    05-23-09 10:52 AM
    Holy old threads Batman.

05-23-09 11:48 AM
    you don't use google and gmail for everything? FAIL
    double FAIL! LOL...

"If all else fails... GOOGLE"
    05-23-09 11:50 AM
    My bro-in-law has the G1 and I really like it. Yes its not pretty, but some how I'm drawn to its look haha. If I wasn't tied to the network, I would be rocking a google phone. I like having touch, keyboard and scrollball.
    05-23-09 12:19 PM
    It looks interesting. IMO, the G1 has that SideKick flavor to it (the keyboard screams Sidekick to me).

I think that lefties may have slight trouble with the G1.

The Storm can rotate to position physical keys either right or left. G1's screen slides up in one direction, resulting in send/end/home back keys to be right positioned only.
    my friend and I have this theory that different devices are made for lefties or righties...

samsung vs. LG...look at their flip w/ qwerties, the D-pad is on one side or the other, leaning towards one orientation or another for dominant hand use...

we've just started discussing the smartphone implications in this. RIM was a rightie with the "thumbwheel" (they call it something else i believe so to allow lefties to use their index finger)...but with the trackball, it's all good!
    storm is all good, you can use either way (except camera, but that's based on the camera function button not the send/end keys)

and now the G1 but there is no alternative orientation to use it in with the keyboard the way it is...

+1 for the storm AND RIM!!!!
    05-23-09 12:47 PM
    Actually, with the latest update. The G1 supports an on-screen keyboard as well as the physical qwerty keyboard. Whereas the Storm only has suretype, which was such a success that Rim decided to drop it in the Storm 2 less than a year after it's debut.
    05-23-09 12:50 PM
    suretype, qwerty and multi-tap, borderwave...
    05-23-09 01:08 PM
    The G1 hardware sucks! it really do the battery is like TWO AA batteries i am not lien! just to get a better battery you have to put up with a fat cover door. BUUUUT Android OS is great i had no problems with it when i had my G1 just hated its hardware and build of the phone. but Android is worth buying if i could install its OS in another phone

But the Storm is like woow compared to the G1 you can get more attention with the Storm then the G1 i say

and you really do need a Google or Gmail acc to use to G1 everything works thru Gmail or your Google Acc on the G1..its really for the google user
    05-23-09 03:52 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD