OK, so here's my query, for you techie dudes, to assess.

I currently use T-Mobile (with my Bold). Why? Because I travel internationally very often, and, I have an old T-Mobile (actually Omnipoint) international roaming rate of 34c incoming for most major countries, and 59c (or 64c maybe) for secondary countries. Very handy. I will never quit that account because of that.

So, here's what I'm thinking: I use a BES with my Blackberry (Hosted Exchange Business Email with Mobile Sync by Link2Exchange) . So, my Blackberry is really PIN based, even inter carrier - the BES doesn;t care who's the carrier - it stays the same. The only thing that changes, even now, when I pop in my AT&T SIM to my Bold, is the service books for T-Mobile or AT&T - my BES stays the same, since it is PIN based. All my e-mails, Outlook, BB settings etc, are governed by the BES.

So, what would happen, if, I bought a 9530, and unlocked it (I am sure that will not be a big problem). Then I get a Verizon account with BES, which I would use in all it's 3.5g glory when I'm in the ol' US of A. Then I put in (actually keep in) the T-Mobile SIM, which would kick in only when I am international. Yes, the service books might continually change (or maybe both service books can live in the Blackberry), but then, when I'm international, I'd be using the T-Mobile SIM part of the 9530, and, enjoy my cheap international roaming. The only "work" involved is, I would have to forward my Verizon number to my T-Mobile number, when I travel, to "keep" using my main number (which I would initially port to Verizon, if I did this).

If this would not be apossibility, I will just buy a 9500, and use it with EDGE on T-Mo, in US, and, 3g out of US.

What do y'all think?
    Last edited by jeffharris; 10-20-08 at 08:08 PM.
    10-20-08 08:05 PM
    I've read that the 9530 will not support TMobile's edge--it's some frequency that isn't in the quad-band chip.
    10-20-08 08:29 PM
    Won't work...verizon doesn't use sim cards.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-08 09:14 PM

Verizon's storm has a SIM in it. The video on the front page even shows it.

D'OH!
    10-20-08 09:17 PM
    Ill believe it when I see it..

10-20-08 09:22 PM
    Verizon's storm has a SIM in it. The video on the front page even shows it.

D'OH!
    Correct. These are the supported networks:

Wireless Network
    UMTS/HSPA: 2100 MHz
    North America: 850 MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    North America: 1900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 1800MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Dual-Band: 800/1900 MHz CDMA/Ev-DO networks

IN THEORY your plan should work. Not ever using one I'm not certain how the switch over will go. Verizon may have a way to charge you roaming. DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THAT. If you go with just T-Mo. you will only have EDGE no 3g. Thats where the frequency difference comes in to play.
    Last edited by pltaylor; 10-20-08 at 09:26 PM.
    10-20-08 09:23 PM
    The verizon storm has gsm(a sim) but its for when u travel abroad. It won't work on gsm within noth america

As for an answer to the oroginal question..... Wish I could help but I don't know the answer

10-20-08 09:25 PM

New Batch of Verizon BlackBerry Storm Vids! | CrackBerry.com

Second video down.
    10-20-08 09:28 PM

thats why its considered a "world" phone.
    10-20-08 09:30 PM
    I don't really care that much but thanks

10-20-08 09:31 PM

Take a look at the video on the front page where they insert a vodafone/verizon sim card into the 9530. Verizon doesn't use sim cards for within the US, but for international roaming.

So in other words....

Can you see me now???

Good.
    10-20-08 09:32 PM
    WTF is up with Nycxice?

However, what's up with this text from the training manual? According to this, it would indicate that you cannot turn GSM on in the US. Maybe I'm just misreading it....

Attempting to use VZW GSM profile while in the US will result in a ________ or ________ error message.
    10-20-08 09:46 PM
    WTF is up with Nycxice?

However, what's up with this text from the training manual? According to this, it would indicate that you cannot turn GSM on in the US. Maybe I'm just misreading it....

Attempting to use VZW GSM profile while in the US will result in a ________ or ________ error message.
    GSM is probably locked, but like with the 8830, will most likely be able to be unlocked.
    10-20-08 09:54 PM
    lol sorry, but nycxice is the funkiest poster i have ever seen.
    hahaha

"BLAHHH *MISINFORMATION*!"

(CORRECTED!)

"NOPE, need proof"

(CORRECTED)

"Whateva don't carrrre"

I just realized he's the same dude who posted that 3G is an ATT thing and VZW has EDGE. LOLOLOL
    Last edited by JKaytheISH; 10-20-08 at 10:13 PM.
    10-20-08 10:11 PM
    look at it like this.....I don't really care...Its just what I understood it to be...
    10-20-08 11:47 PM
    Well, thanks for all the thoughts, but, unfortunately, the question was more of a techincal one, and everything I wrote in it is possible, but, I guess no one here can answer. The best answer could come from someone, who maybe has tried this already with an 8830 - the same result would be possible on the Storm. Except the 8830 does not support EDGE or 3g outside of the Verizon net. But, the theory would be the same.

However, certain comments here I can answer.

I've read that the 9530 will not support TMobile's edge--it's some frequency that isn't in the quad-band chip.
    Firstly, my plan is to NOT use T-Mobile while in US, only Verizon (and that MAY be the only option anyway. I have read you cannot use the SIM side of the 9530, hence the GSM networks, in the US no matter what - you can only use Verizons network within the USon the 9530). When abroad, I believe the 9530, from all accounts I have read, will support EDGE on the 900 and 1800 networks. As well, most 900/1800 countries employ WCDMA 2100 3g, that the 9530 certianly uses, so, I'm pretty covered regardless.

Not true - the 9530, like the 8830, employs SIM card use when outside of the Verizon network.

IN THEORY your plan should work. Not ever using one I'm not certain how the switch over will go. Verizon may have a way to charge you roaming. DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THAT. If you go with just T-Mo. you will only have EDGE no 3g. Thats where the frequency difference comes in to play.
    I realize it SHOULD work in theory - this is why I asked, hoping for a little more of a techincal assessment, rather than "I don't care" comments, etc... And again, I only plan to use the T-Mobile outside of the US, and, I can confirm that, even before T-Mobile turned on their 1700/2100 3g networks in the US, roaming on WCDMA 2100 with my T-Mo US SIM, did provide me with unlimited 3g data abroad on my UMTS Blackberry Bold, as well as my UMTS Samsung Omnia. And, there would be no reason for Verizon to charge me any roaming, as, since I'd only be using the T-Mobile SIM card outside of the US, Verizon would have no way to see any Verizon roaming on GSM nets, as the EVDO part of the 9530 could never register on any net outside the US - only what is in the SIM card slot could - and that would be the T-Mo

I think my desire wasn't fully understood.

I want to use the Storm on Verizon when in the US, and, rather tham roam internationally with a Verizon supplied SIM, I want to use my T-Mobile USA SIM instead, as I have uniquely favorable international roaming rates through T-Mobile. And, since it's quite easy to forward a Verizon US number to my T-Mobile US number before exiting the US, there would be no apparent change in my number when I travel, it would be trasnparent to the caller.

Yes, I could also opt for the 9500 flavor of the Storm, and, use it on T-Mobile in the US, but, I would not have any 3g. And switching to AT&T for using the 9500 in the US for 3g would be possible, but, then it would defeat the purpose, as I would have to switch SIMS to my T-Mobile every time I left the US, and, the AT&T 3g network isn't all that anyway - Verizon is 100% better for 3 (or 3.5)g, hence this post.
    Last edited by jeffharris; 10-21-08 at 12:53 AM.
    10-21-08 12:36 AM
    Well, thanks for all the thoughts, but, unfortunately, the question was more of a techincal one, and everything I wrote in it is possible, but, I guess no one here can answer. The best answer could come from someone, who maybe has tried this already with an 8830 - the same result would be possible on the Storm. Except the 8830 does not support EDGE or 3g outside of the Verizon net. But, the theory would be the same.

However, certain comments here I can answer.

Firstly, my plan is to NOT use T-Mobile while in US, only Verizon (and that MAY be the only option anyway. I have read you cannot use the SIM side of the 9530, hence the GSM networks, in the US no matter what - you can only use Verizons network within the USon the 9530). When abroad, I believe the 9530, from all accounts I have read, will support EDGE on the 900 and 1800 networks. As well, most 900/1800 countries employ WCDMA 2100 3g, that the 9530 certianly uses, so, I'm pretty covered regardless.

Not true - the 9530, like the 8830, employs SIM card use when outside of the Verizon network.

I realize it SHOULD work in theory - this is why I asked, hoping for a little more of a techincal assessment, rather than "I don't care" comments, etc... And again, I only plan to use the T-Mobile outside of the US, and, I can confirm that, even before T-Mobile turned on their 1700/2100 3g networks in the US, roaming on WCDMA 2100 with my T-Mo US SIM, did provide me with unlimited 3g data abroad on my UMTS Blackberry Bold, as well as my UMTS Samsung Omnia. And, there would be no reason for Verizon to charge me any roaming, as, since I'd only be using the T-Mobile SIM card outside of the US, Verizon would have no way to see any Verizon roaming on GSM nets, as the EVDO part of the 9530 could never register on any net outside the US - only what is in the SIM card slot could - and that would be the T-Mo

I think my desire wasn't fully understood.

I want to use the Storm on Verizon when in the US, and, rather tham roam internationally with a Verizon supplied SIM, I want to use my T-Mobile USA SIM instead, as I have uniquely favorable international roaming rates through T-Mobile. And, since it's quite easy to forward a Verizon US number to my T-Mobile US number before exiting the US, there would be no apparent change in my number when I travel, it would be trasnparent to the caller.

Yes, I could also opt for the 9500 flavor of the Storm, and, use it on T-Mobile in the US, but, I would not have any 3g. And switching to AT&T for using the 9500 in the US for 3g would be possible, but, then it would defeat the purpose, as I would have to switch SIMS to my T-Mobile every time I left the US, and, the AT&T 3g network isn't all that anyway - Verizon is 100% better for 3 (or 3.5)g, hence this post.
    So you want to use your T-Mobile sim card to roam internationally because you get a better roaming rate than on Verizon?

It should work. As I understand it, you will have to call into Verizon for the unlock code.
    10-21-08 01:35 AM
    From everything I've read and heard on the 9530, you should be fine with your plan. It should work just as you expect. Of course crucial Xtreme is your best bet for a solid answer.

10-21-08 01:39 AM
    So you want to use your T-Mobile sim card to roam internationally because you get a better roaming rate than on Verizon?
    Yes! With 34c a minute incoming (my T-Mobiie), as opposed to over $1 a minute incoming (on Verizon), times probably 500 incoming minutes a week, you can see the math ....
    Last edited by jeffharris; 10-21-08 at 02:05 AM.
    10-21-08 02:01 AM
    WTF is up with Nycxice?

Attempting to use VZW GSM profile while in the US will result in a you're or screwed error message.
    You think it might look something like this? ^^^^^

BTW, I heard from a friend whose sister's boyfriend's brother's boss said that they were going to unleash an October surprise and reveal a WiFi feature set...is that true?

Also, do you know when AT&T will have it? Thanks....

...cheers...
    10-21-08 07:30 AM
    You think it might look something like this? ^^^^^

BTW, I heard from a friend whose sister's boyfriend's brother's boss said that they were going to unleash an October surprise and reveal a WiFi feature set...is that true?

Also, do you know when AT&T will have it? Thanks....

...cheers...
    I believe you about the Storm coming out in October, but wi-fi is a far fetch for the VZW model.

GSM models get all the love - :P
    10-21-08 07:43 AM
    look at it like this.....I don't really care...Its just what I understood it to be...
    Is this your way of thanking people that correct you because you didn't know what the ****!! your talking about ? Just about everyone on here knows the Storm has a sim card for overseas. Next time listen/read before you make a post.
    10-21-08 10:42 AM
    can be done i had tmobile and i a fully functional blackberry storm
    12-13-08 07:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD