I'm going to switch from the curve to the Storm and went to Bestbuy today and the sales rep said she does NOT recommend the Storm !

She says that allot of people return them with all kinds of problems. She said that the Storm must be updated frequently or it will be useless. However, she says if I do keep it updated that it will work fine ???

I know there's a learning "curve" with the Storm and I'm fully prepared to spen several days playing with it to learn.

Does she know what she's talking about ?

Is there any truth to all she says ?

Thanks for any advice,

SJ
    06-01-09 06:22 PM
    Well , kind of . There are for sure some kinks to be worked out , more hardware then software ..... There is for sure a learning curve with typing on the screen , but in regards to it not worth it , i disagree. i actually bought a storm and then went to a curve, i now use my storm about 90 percent of the time , and my curve if i just want to wet my whistle with a physical keyboard.
    06-01-09 06:24 PM
    There are a lot of people very bias to the device.

It seems like people either love it or hate it.

I recommend you go ahead and buy the device and use it for the 30 days (it's 30 here in Canada I don't know about you) and if you don't love the storm then you should return it. Just make sure you have the newest OS on it (.148) or you probably won't love the storm much.
    06-01-09 06:25 PM
    she's a total n00b

however, the return issues are hit and miss. some people got a good device, some have hardware flaws, but there is a 1 yr warantee for that purpose!

for me, its a great device. i've used blackberries for awhile now, and the big thing is knowing what is a normal issue that all phones have, and what is beyond tolerating. some people have this unrealistic expectation of new devices...and they're setting themselves up for failture.

honestly, i'd suggest trying it for yourself.

i see you have AT&T right now, so you can either port and try it, and port back w/in the 30 day return policy if you don't like it, or you can just activate a new line with VZW, use a temporary number while you test it out, and keep your existing service active the entire time...either way, i think its a decision you make for yourself.

and ask the person who sells you the phone how the warantee issues will be handled, just in case. 3rd party resellers are funny about stuff like that. you can email me if you have other questions.
    06-01-09 06:27 PM
    there you have it...two geniuses
    06-01-09 06:28 PM
    I had a curve, and it was a great phone, but the storm only took me a few days of learning, a few days on here doing some software updates...and now i wouldnt trade it for anything....well, until the next new blackberry comes along lol
    06-01-09 06:34 PM
    she's a total n00b

however, the return issues are hit and miss. some people got a good device, some have hardware flaws, but there is a 1 yr warantee for that purpose!

for me, its a great device. i've used blackberries for awhile now, and the big thing is knowing what is a normal issue that all phones have, and what is beyond tolerating. some people have this unrealistic expectation of new devices...and they're setting themselves up for failture.

honestly, i'd suggest trying it for yourself.

i see you have AT&T right now, so you can either port and try it, and port back w/in the 30 day return policy if you don't like it, or you can just activate a new line with VZW, use a temporary number while you test it out, and keep your existing service active the entire time...either way, i think its a decision you make for yourself.

and ask the person who sells you the phone how the warantee issues will be handled, just in case. 3rd party resellers are funny about stuff like that. you can email me if you have other questions.
    Wouldn't Future Shop/Best Buy give him/her the 30 day money back guarantee? It would save him/her a lot of the trouble of porting or opening a new account with VZW. I would ask my friend who works at Best Buy but I don't want to give false info to you US people.

PS: failture = failure, warantee=warranty
    06-01-09 06:54 PM
    well you can port and have one account, and some confusing bills for a month or two, or you can have two accounts, two numbers, and everything is easier to understand but you'll pay for two accounts.

idk about what 3rd party resellers offer as far as return policies...the Test Drive promotion would have been good, i think they got rid of it though. or changed it, i heard something about it. that'd be a good question to ask VZW sales rep...
    06-01-09 06:58 PM
    Thanks for all the helpful replies, I appreciate it !

I'm going to go ahead and get the Storm, maybe tomorrow. I'll be going with verizon as I already have an account with them for an old G'zone anyway.

I think I'll be happy with it but there's only one way to know for sure, buy it.

Thanks again,

SJ
    06-01-09 09:14 PM
    no prob! enjoy!

if you need help don't hesitate to email me
    06-01-09 09:32 PM
    no prob! enjoy!

if you need help don't hesitate to email me
    Thanks,
    I have one more quick (OT) question, If I were to buy on older used smartphone that has WIFI capability, can WIFI be accessed even if the phone is NOT activated with a carrier ?

I'm still going to buy the Storm, this question is another matter.

SJ
    06-02-09 08:53 AM
    Thanks,
    I have one more quick (OT) question, If I were to buy on older used smartphone that has WIFI capability, can WIFI be accessed even if the phone is NOT activated with a carrier ?

I'm still going to buy the Storm, this question is another matter.

SJ
    it could technically i suppose. wi-fi is independent of network, same as camera. so it should still work.
    06-02-09 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD