Just been noticing that when I'm wearing gloves or my hands are cold my touchscreen is not responsive at all and as soon as they warm up the phones fine, wondering why they did that I dont see the point just make it a normal touchscreen also one with the smudge free screen thats the way I would have done it, would have made it so much easier maybe not to build but to use.

I live in canada and the winters are cold and I know its spring but its really frustrating when I cant use my phone because I'm cold.
    03-26-09 10:45 PM
    i live in canada too..i guess im lucky my hands are usually always warm even in the winter.
    03-26-09 11:00 PM
    Could be a combination, when I was in St. Louis this winter, the Storm hated cold weather it became alot less responsive when it was cold outside.

Oh and you cannot use gloves with the Storm, it has a capacitive touch screen which relies on your bodies electrical signature to register touches to the screen. Glove = no electricity.
    Last edited by armedtank; 03-26-09 at 11:04 PM.
    03-26-09 11:02 PM
    The storm actually responds to the electricity in your fingers. Try operating it with anything but your bare skin, and it will not work. This is good and bad. Good because you aren't activating things on your phone that you don't want to when it is rumbling around in your pocket, but bad because you cannot operate your phone with anything other than your fingertips. This is why they invented these.

http://www.twincities.com/techtestdrive/ci_11637529
    03-26-09 11:02 PM
    It's described as "unique"...that's about it for details. Explains a lot though. I noticed it didn't work as well when I was outside on a cold day...just put 2 and 2 together.
    03-26-09 11:05 PM
    you can use gloves with the storm. i drive for ups and i wear leather gloves all day to handle packages with. it seems to me that you have to let the fingertips wear down a little first (it took about 3 or 4 days) before my thumbs registered on the screen. hope this helps
    03-26-09 11:15 PM
    i think its time to buy a curve
    03-26-09 11:16 PM
    No, it's not heat sensitive. It's a capacitive screen.

And unlike other capacitive screen devices, the Storm seems very finicky when it comes to grounding. The screen works better if you're holding (supporting) it with a bare hand while touching the screen with your other hand (vs holding with a gloved hand). You'll notice something similar if you lay the Storm on a non-conductive surface (e.g., wood table), and then try to touch the screen with one finger only.
    03-26-09 11:17 PM
    Most touch screens arent like the storm, they are like 2 thin layers sandwiching a fluid, and when the 2 layers touch it sends a signal, the storms screen just recognises the electrical current from your body, wich is why the screen is more like glass than the soft plastic like most others. In fact its the first screen like this i have used, my old phones/radio in my car are the other kind.

at least thats how i have come to understand touchscreens, dont get psycho if i messed something up lol
    03-26-09 11:29 PM
    No, it's not heat sensitive. It's a capacitive screen.

And unlike other capacitive screen devices, the Storm seems very finicky when it comes to grounding. The screen works better if you're holding (supporting) it with a bare hand while touching the screen with your other hand (vs holding with a gloved hand). You'll notice something similar if you lay the Storm on a non-conductive surface (e.g., wood table), and then try to touch the screen with one finger only.
    So what happens when its in a hard or rubber case?
    03-26-09 11:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD