After loosening the torx screws on my storm, I watched closely with the back off as I clicked. I noticed the center "bridge" of plastic between the screws flexed significantly when I clicked the screen. I also noticed that there was some clearance between this bridge and the back cover when it was on.

I added this change to the loosening of the screws and it seems to give a bit more solid and consistent click.

Attachment 8637

Two layers is plenty as I can just barely see an indentation from the SIM card retaining clip in the tape, and the back cover does not bow.

This should also reduce or prevent any SIM card connection issues after loosening the screws.
    Last edited by TBacker; 12-27-08 at 08:49 AM.
    12-27-08 08:47 AM
    Will this fix clicking in the center of the screen too? My problem is when I go to delete an email, or another action that causes the confirmation to pop up and say, *delete*? Or *cancel*, (not sure of the exact wording), I highlight it and click and have to click several times to get the confirmation.

I wonder, since my corners are all clicking good if it is a sw issue. I see lots of people having the corner clicking issue but mine is definitely towards the center. Typing on the keyboard seems flawless for me.

Anyone else have this and know what I'm talking about?
    12-27-08 09:27 AM
    Center screen click issues are more than likely software related.

Lock your phone, put it up to your ear, and click the corners and center (be careful to not dial 911! Do your center click first!). It should sound the same no matter where you click. A proper click should be fairly pronounced click down with a lighter but still distinctive click when you release.

If you hear grinding, get a replacement phone. If the click is mushy or soft, then you need to adjust the torx screws some more.
    12-27-08 09:36 AM
    Mine sounds equally pronounced and feels good in every location, and I just got this replacement last Thursday because my 30 days was about up. I had the same issue with my first one so it was a waste getting this second device so I hope the next update addresses this issue because it is very annoying. Aside from that everything is good except known software issues that everyone has

Thanks for the reply.
    12-27-08 09:45 AM
    I've learned to double tap all buttons on the storm. I tap once to highlight, then tap again harder to click - kinda a double-click.

Depending on the application / menu, sometimes a single, full, click will work on a button. It's quicker to assume it won't and double-click.
    12-27-08 10:05 AM
    one question for you guys...how loud is your clicking sound. im on my second storm and this one seems louder than the 1st i had. its louder near the middle of the screen.
    12-27-08 10:48 AM
    Seems like its about the same "loundess" as the keys on a regular dumb-phone, but has a bit more travel.

The loosening of the screws fix is used to make the click as pronounced on the edges as it is in the middle.
    12-27-08 10:51 AM
    that seems ok on my phone, i just find the click a little loud, mostly the middle part thats right under the "bump" that makes the screen go back up
    12-27-08 11:02 AM
    you should get a replacement. To fix a phone in this or any manner is unacceptable to the consumer.
    12-27-08 12:30 PM
    I've learned to double tap all buttons on the storm. I tap once to highlight, then tap again harder to click - kinda a double-click.

Depending on the application / menu, sometimes a single, full, click will work on a button. It's quicker to assume it won't and double-click.
    I don't double-click, but I've learned to touch to highlight first, then pause before clicking to get the same result.
    12-27-08 12:38 PM
    Will this fix clicking in the center of the screen too? My problem is when I go to delete an email, or another action that causes the confirmation to pop up and say, *delete*? Or *cancel*, (not sure of the exact wording), I highlight it and click and have to click several times to get the confirmation.
    I also had the same issue with getting the device to respond. Everything 'clicked' just fine, but it sometimes to as many as 5-6 clicks before the device responded. It also occasionally would not respond to pressing the keyboard, refusing to highlight an option. Finally, I attempted to set the auto turn off and no matter what I tried, I could not change one of the settings, no matter how many times I pressed.

I finally called tech support and worked with a great tech who asked me a few questions and then said we'll just send you a new phone. It should arrive Monday.

BTW, I only had three days before the thirty days would have eliminated the 'Worry Free' guarantee. Hopefully by waiting this long to get my replacement, some of the manufacturing issues have been resolved and the chance of receiving a working phone is greater.
    12-27-08 12:58 PM
    I posted this fix a few weeks ago by placing foam double back tape in the same area and describing this problem in detail. I just posted an update to this here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/imh...-click-123633/ using a single felt pad on the battery door.
    12-27-08 01:03 PM
    I posted this fix a few weeks ago by placing foam double back tape in the same area and describing this problem in detail. I just posted an update to this here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/imh...-click-123633/ using a single felt pad on the battery door.
    I see that. I was thinking of something similar, but the distance to make up is thin (2 layers of electrical tape thin), which is why I've done it this way.

My goal was to support the center of the backplate behind the button without forcing it one way or the other. The felt pads may work, but I fear you may be pushing the center too far up and / or bowing the door.

And to those who feel we shouldn't fix our own phones - that is your choice. If it's easy to do and permanent, I'd rather do it than play Russian Roulette with Verizon as to how many replacements I'll need to get before everything works. I've seen some people up to 5 or 6!

If I had deeper issues like dust infiltration, buttons falling off, dead pixels, discolored screens, etc. - I would replace it in a heartbeat.
    12-27-08 02:39 PM
    Hmm...interesting.
    12-27-08 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD