I know Kevin's review said the "SurePress" needs to be a firm press on the screen.

I am wondering how that is going to perform for all of us ladies with long finger nails?

I had a Treo 700,750,755 prior to my Curve, and the touch screen was easy to use with the 'tap' of my nails.
    10-27-08 10:21 AM
    Generally, capacitive touch screens ( like the 95xx or the iphone ) do not work well with nails ...

Resistive screen do howether .

( An easy way to know if your screen is capacitive or resistive : if you got a stylus with the device, you have a resistive screen )

So, the real issue will not be with the Surepress "click" but with the digitizer.
    10-27-08 10:34 AM
    I've talked to a few women with long finger-nails and they've said they have problems using the iPhone screen.

With the Storm (or iPhone) you need to TOUCH the screen with your fingertip...not tap it with an object (stylus, fingernail, etc)
    10-27-08 10:41 AM
    Yea, as mentioned capacitive doesn't work well with fingernails, as it doesn't respond so much to "touch" as it does to heat... If you try to use a nail on the iPhone, you won't get much of a response. Same will go with the Storm.
    I'm sure there's a way to use your fingers though, even with long nails.. maybe just take a more "sideways" approach?

They do make styli that work with such phones though:

Universal Touch Screen Stylus for Apple iPhone / Touch, Silver by Eforcity - DOTHXXXXST04 - Buy.com
    10-27-08 10:42 AM
    Generally, capacitive touch screens ( like the 95xx or the iphone ) do not work well with nails ...

Resistive screen do howether .

( An easy way to know if your screen is capacitive or resistive : if you got a stylus with the device, you have a resistive screen )

So, the real issue will not be with the Surepress "click" but with the digitizer.
    very informative, as I didn't know the technical terms for the 'types' of the different screen mechanics. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be funtional for long nails as Kevin had said you need to press and to me that would mean with your actual finger tip.

Thank you.
    10-27-08 10:50 AM
    ah, all good input. Thank you, as I thought this was going to be exactly the case with the Storm..... not easily typed on with nails.

When I had the treos, yes they came with a stylus which i didn't need to use, nails worked fine. I can see this is not going to be the case with the Storm So give up the nails (not) or no Storm for me
    10-27-08 10:56 AM
    I'm always amazed when I see ladies with long fingernails type on keyboards. I would imagine you could get by and with time even type well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-08 11:30 AM
    I'm always amazed when I see ladies with long fingernails type on keyboards. I would imagine you could get by and with time even type well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

With a real keyboard, yes. With a capacitive keyboard, no. The problem is, the keyboard doesn't sense the fingernail (or stylus)...it literally doesn't work. It's not something you can "get used to". You need to touch the screen with your finger...where your fingerprint is...or it won't work.
    10-27-08 11:41 AM
    ah, all good input. Thank you, as I thought this was going to be exactly the case with the Storm..... not easily typed on with nails.

When I had the treos, yes they came with a stylus which i didn't need to use, nails worked fine. I can see this is not going to be the case with the Storm So give up the nails (not) or no Storm for me
    Gregmar,

Yeah, I have long nails too, and you better believe they ain't goin' nowhere.

I would imagine that after awhile, we'll get the hang of it. My good girlfriend has an Iphone and she is able to work it out just fine. When I tried for the first time, I kept hitting every letter but the one I wanted, but after a few (hundred) times, I was able to do it!

Don't you dare cut off your nails!
    10-27-08 12:05 PM
    Gregmar,

Yeah, I have long nails too, and you better believe they ain't goin' nowhere.

I would imagine that after awhile, we'll get the hang of it. My good girlfriend has an Iphone and she is able to work it out just fine. When I tried for the first time, I kept hitting every letter but the one I wanted, but after a few (hundred) times, I was able to do it!

Don't you dare cut off your nails!
    LOL! Not even a consideration!!

Our nails (real ones, or in my case acrylic) not overly long but enough to be an issue on the touch screen.

As previous posters have added, I can see that the type of screen the Iphone and Storm (will be) will propose an issue. I see the point that your finger really has to press the letter, number, etc. I am not the fastest typist even on my curve, so I can see it just might not work for me.

I think it will be an amazing phone though.
    10-27-08 12:19 PM
    Long nails are out. It's just you old gals that still like them.

Get a nice 2mm long French manicure and all will be well if you must have nails.
    10-27-08 02:07 PM
    Storms are for men only didnt anyone tell you lol....waits for the backlash
    10-27-08 02:14 PM
    ^^^ lol, whatever.

My suggestion for the OP, wait for the Palm 800W to hit VZW. That way you won't have to give up your eKey capabilities if you use that now. Sure, there's eKey stuff coming from Supra for Blackberry, but you'll have to carry a Bluetooth/IR puck with you all the time. Kinda defeats the purpose in a way.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 10-27-08 at 02:22 PM.
    10-27-08 02:18 PM
    Get a nice 2mm long French manicure and all will be well if you must have nails.
    Civics right. When he's in drag he looks hot as **** with the French manicure. He is giving some good advice. Very specific as well (2mm)

What color lipstick would you recommend Mac's Viva Glam or Slimshine?
    10-27-08 02:33 PM
    Neither. It dries your lips out too much.

Sparkle lip balm works much better.
    10-27-08 02:39 PM
    oskar you are on crack huh.
    10-27-08 02:59 PM
    Neither. It dries your lips out too much.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    10-27-08 02:59 PM
    Use your knuckle like I do when dialing the phone
    10-27-08 03:10 PM
    Civics right. When he's in drag he looks hot as **** with the French manicure. He is giving some good advice. Very specific as well (2mm)

LOL, no you didn't!
    10-27-08 03:30 PM
    Long nails are out. It's just you old gals that still like them.

JRS, I have gotten used to your posts, but you are wrong on this one LOL! Long nails are not out in any way, and they are worn by ladies of all ages!
    10-27-08 08:53 PM
    ^^^ lol, whatever.

My suggestion for the OP, wait for the Palm 800W to hit VZW. That way you won't have to give up your eKey capabilities if you use that now. Sure, there's eKey stuff coming from Supra for Blackberry, but you'll have to carry a Bluetooth/IR puck with you all the time. Kinda defeats the purpose in a way.
    Wrong again! I had my share of Palm Treos! As a matter of fact I origninally went with a Treo specifically for the reason of using the "Ekey" for Real Estate....never ever worked properly! Went through 700, 750, 755. Crash Crash Crash extremly unstable! I am very happy with my stable Curve!
    10-27-08 08:57 PM

LMAO!! did you make up those lipstick colors or do you really know this much about lipstick? LOL!
    10-27-08 08:59 PM
    This broad thinks that you MEN (and I say that with as much sarcasm and contempt as I can muster in a post) mind your own friggin' business and quit butting in in places that you have absolutely no business!

Oscar, your description of the "Edward Scissor Hands" nails are only in pronos. Watcheth much?
    10-27-08 09:18 PM
    LMAO!! did you make up those lipstick colors or do you really know this much about lipstick? LOL!
    No, those are actual colors, which leads me to believe that JRSC and Balloon have this hidden fetish.....

Or maybe not so hidden at all!
    10-27-08 09:21 PM
    This is not comforting news. I have been waiting for months for the release of this phone only to find out I probably won't be able to use it. I own a nail salon so not having nails is NOT an option. It's my livelihood. My friend has the Voyager and I can type like lightening on that but evidentally the storm is different. Oh My....what will I do?
    10-27-08 09:30 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD