I am currently using a Pearl (as the Curve wasn't available w/Verizon at the time) and my NE2 is coming up in July. I want a Storm in the worst kind of way; I want a full screen to read my emails and browse the internet better. But now I hear Storm2 rumors and, of course, I am well aware of the current Storm's issues. I certainly understand there will ALWAYS be something BIGGER and BETTER around the corner, but I cannot see buying a Storm now if Storm2 is right around the corner. I guess what bothers me even more is now we read VZW has not approved the new .114 OS and there is talk they may not bother updating! So should I take the plunge and get a Storm in July or wait for the "Second Coming," what do you think??? Thanks for your insights.
    05-12-09 11:51 AM
    At his point, there is no "Storm 2".
    05-12-09 11:54 AM
    Storm 2 is still vaporware. Get the Storm.
    05-12-09 11:55 AM
    I thought RIM's CEO confirmed there was a Storm2 in development? And, it's only natural to revamp every year. Do you think the Storm, as it is now, would be a wise choice? I will have to keep it 2 years...I can't afford to buy a new phone every 6 - 12 months. Thanks for your response.
    05-12-09 11:59 AM
    I thought RIM's CEO confirmed there was a Storm2 in development? And, it's only natural to revamp every year. Do you think the Storm, as it is now, would be a wise choice? I will have to keep it 2 years...I can't afford to buy a new phone every 6 - 12 months. Thanks for your response.
    It's in development...but have you actually seen what it looks like or touched one? Looks good on paper but until it's tested we'll never know. I'm not saying it won't be built, just that it's yet to be seen. If you're a VIP, most storm owners are, you can get new every year.
    05-12-09 12:05 PM
    Storm, definitely. I had a Pearl and I really liked it but the Storm's screen is huge compared to the Pearl. My Storm has few, if any, bugs. I've upgraded the software (yeah, i'm a version or two behind, lol) and really can't find much to complain about.
    05-12-09 12:09 PM
    ... If you're a VIP, most storm owners are, you can get new every year.
    You know I am a VIP, but my NE2 on Verizon says in July '09, and that is a full 2 years. Do I need to go somewhere else for the year option?
    05-12-09 12:10 PM
    That'd be nice if they did, but there is no guarantee. It's really too soon to tell. Your best bet is to wait till July and see what info if any we have on the Storm2's development.
    05-12-09 12:11 PM
    Storm, definitely. I had a Pearl and I really liked it but the Storm's screen is huge compared to the Pearl. My Storm has few, if any, bugs. I've upgraded the software (yeah, i'm a version or two behind, lol) and really can't find much to complain about.
    How long have you had your Storm? If you buy one now at Verizon, is the "clicking" on the screen been upgraded, or do you still need to fool with screws and cardboard?
    05-12-09 12:13 PM
    I am currently using a Pearl (as the Curve wasn't available w/Verizon at the time) and my NE2 is coming up in July. I want a Storm in the worst kind of way; I want a full screen to read my emails and browse the internet better. But now I hear Storm2 rumors and, of course, I am well aware of the current Storm's issues. I certainly understand there will ALWAYS be something BIGGER and BETTER around the corner, but I cannot see buying a Storm now if Storm2 is right around the corner. I guess what bothers me even more is now we read VZW has not approved the new .114 OS and there is talk they may not bother updating! So should I take the plunge and get a Storm in July or wait for the "Second Coming," what do you think??? Thanks for your insights.
    Check out the front page, Storm2 is confirmed, it's just a matter of time. So if you have the patience, I would wait for the Storm2. You can always ebay or market place for a Storm and save your ne2 for #2.
    05-12-09 12:13 PM
    What's a VIP in Verizon speak???
    05-12-09 12:15 PM
    1. The Storm 2 is an Urban Legend at the moment, so don't buy into all of the hype just yet. They confirmed that one will exist (which should be common sense to all of us already, ya know? ), but have not mentioned any progress on it, or furthermore WHEN it will exist.

2. Verizon definitely wont take the approach to "not bother" releasing an updated OS for the Storm 9530. We'll get an update; they're not working hard on this thing for nothing. Eventually we'll have one, so I wouldnt buy into that chatter either.

3. If ur eligible for NE2 in July, you have plenty of time to see if anymore info is leaked about this second Storm (that's definitely not coming out in 2009 in my opinion). If everything is still in the stage where it is at the moment, do urself a HUGE favor and get a Storm.

WE'LL DEFINITELY HAVE AN UPDATED OS BY THEN!
    05-12-09 12:17 PM
    How long have you had your Storm? If you buy one now at Verizon, is the "clicking" on the screen been upgraded, or do you still need to fool with screws and cardboard?
    Do urself a favor and dont get too caught up in everyone's complaints and tips about the Storm. I've had mine since January and the current official OS (which is .75) has worked GREAT for me. No replacements, no issues...no more than any other phone i've owned. Never had to completely disassemble my phone to fix any clicking issue either; my Storm clicks just fine! No issues at all!

Some ppl have these issues, some ppl don't, and some ppl try and fix the issue before they even check and see if it exists in their neck of the woods. Whatever you do, do be the latter. If so, you could possibly miss out on a great device!
    05-12-09 12:21 PM
    Check out the front page, Storm2 is confirmed, it's just a matter of time. So if you have the patience, I would wait for the Storm2. You can always ebay or market place for a Storm and save your ne2 for #2.
    So is the fact that VZW is working on a "certified OS" for the Storm. Just because you read that it's around the corner, doesn't mean you can count on it being ready in.......what 3 months when the OP is thinking about purchasing?

I have the storm, i got it end of 2008. I just recently went to .141. I'm happy with the phone...it has it's issues, but it's a leap from the phone i came from (VX9400). I'd say that you can't make a decision til July...then and only then, willl you know the info. Maybe the official OS comes out for Storm, and the CB'ers will rejoice. Maybe the Storm 2 launch date will be announced....maybe not.

All in all, it comes down to what you want to do. Askin a forum of people, most of whom you don't know, about what you should do will only leave you wondering what you should do.

~Opinions are like a$$h()les....everyone's got one...and if it ain't yours....you think it stinks~
    05-12-09 12:22 PM
    Thanks, shaydakiss23...I have already waited so long for a Storm, I doubt I can wait until the Storm2 comes out anyway...I just have to wait for that extra $100 off! I try and not get too wrapped up in the hype...I know one person that went back to a Curve because he had so many problems and yet two others that love theirs (all three have the .75 O/S)? I do not understand why so many people have had so many different takes on the Storm? Is it the build quality?
    05-12-09 12:28 PM
    Storm 2 is not going to be in production any time soon. It just confirmed that RIM is developing it but that's it. Try before you buy. If the storm is not your cup of tea, you could wait for the Tour which is coming out by this year, I think.

That is always the problem with technology, when a new model comes out, the next generation is already being developed. So the key is deciding when it is best to jump on it.

As for my self I am will probably get storm 3, since by the time my contract ends (2 years) it should be in production by that time .
    05-12-09 12:29 PM
    Thanks, shaydakiss23...I have already waited so long for a Storm, I doubt I can wait until the Storm2 comes out anyway...I just have to wait for that extra $100 off! I try and not get too wrapped up in the hype...I know one person that went back to a Curve because he had so many problems and yet two others that love theirs (all three have the .75 O/S)? I do not understand why so many people have had so many different takes on the Storm? Is it the build quality?
    I personally think that some ppl have so many issues because they're first time smartphone users. While this phone looks like an everyday consumer device, its a lot more complicated than that! lol. Takes some work and research to understand and maintane a smartphone. Other's just didnt get too lucky I guess. My friend's Storm clicks HORRIBLE! I have no idea why his is so different from mine, but there's definitely a noticeable difference amongst some devices.
    05-12-09 12:33 PM
    Yeah you need to add in all the time it will take them to work out all the Storm 2 bugs and for Verizon to release a good OS for it too
    05-12-09 12:35 PM
    Hard to say why there is such a huge difference of opinion.

1) It could be the quality, actually the built discrepancy. Some storms are rock solid (like mine) while other seem to be so bad (based from the postings here)

2) It could be just human nature, people tend to let out their frustration frequently than people who are satisfied. Heck, I can't be bothered to start I love/like my storm a lot thread.

05-12-09 12:41 PM
    1. The Storm 2 is an Urban Legend at the moment, so don't buy into all of the hype just yet. They confirmed that one will exist (which should be common sense to all of us already, ya know? ), but have not mentioned any progress on it, or furthermore WHEN it will exist.

2. Verizon definitely wont take the approach to "not bother" releasing an updated OS for the Storm 9530. We'll get an update; they're not working hard on this thing for nothing. Eventually we'll have one, so I wouldnt buy into that chatter either.

3. If ur eligible for NE2 in July, you have plenty of time to see if anymore info is leaked about this second Storm (that's definitely not coming out in 2009 in my opinion). If everything is still in the stage where it is at the moment, do urself a HUGE favor and get a Storm.

WE'LL DEFINITELY HAVE AN UPDATED OS BY THEN!
    You are very brave (or naive) to assume we'll have a new OS out by July. Its been six months since the last one...and we've already surpassed many and many rumor dates which said we've have one already.

I would be surprised to see a new OS at all...by this point. Verizon has really let me down on this regard.
    05-12-09 12:45 PM
    You are very brave (or naive) to assume we'll have a new OS out by July. Its been six months since the last one...and we've already surpassed many and many rumor dates which said we've have one already.

I would be surprised to see a new OS at all...by this point. Verizon has really let me down on this regard.
    So i'm brave to say that we should have one by July (within 2 freakin months) and ur not being completely ridiculous to think that we'll NEVER get one??? You gotta be kidding me right?

We're about a week removed from getting about as close as you can get to having an OS released. Version .141 was just THAT close. So yea...i'm an optimist, and I believe they should be able to work something up within the next 2 months. Guess that makes me "brave" around these parts. The fact that it's been 6 months since the last one is even more reason to believe that it'll get here soon, not reason to believe that it wont get there at all. Give me a break...
    05-12-09 01:05 PM
    I don't think that you can ask people in a forum like this if you should buy a product that is the target of the forum's rampant tainted fanboyism. Seriously, everytime a released O.S. pops up; the browser is said to get faster, the accelerometer is claimed to be faster, etc. By now the Storm should be rock solid if you believe what is said in these forums, but it isn't. It's been a headache for most users. But that makes sense if you think about it. It was RIM's first attempt at a touchscreen and truly their first purely consumer targeted product, so it's natural that it would have it's speedbumps.

And we all need to stop whining about VZW's lack of an update to the OS, because the simple fact of the matter is that they don't write the updates. RIM does and we have all seen tons of bugs in every leaked OS. Seriously...RIM doesn't know their device well enough or how to code well enough to release one near bugless OS that matches a testing criteria that was certainly published to them from their largest US vendor? That's a problem with RIM, not VZW.

That's exactly what I mean about fanboyism in here...You spread a ton of hate to VZW and none to RIM where the trouble really lies. Think about it from VZW's point of view... they just want to avoid the cost associated with tons of people calling in problems. So why would they switch from an OS (.75) where they have the bugs/fixes documented to one (.141, etc) where they don't. It's VZW that has to take your calls, not RIM. And Rogers, etc have less subscribers, so it isn't as big a deal costwise for them to deal with less rigorous testing standards.
    05-12-09 01:19 PM
    And naive??? By the looks of ur post count, I flock these forums a lot more than you my friend. I've seen every "OS is coming out on this-and-this-date" forum that you can see. I don't buy into ANY of that hype, so naive? I DONT THINK SO!

I see the progress that's been made with how close .141 came to being released, and I see a 2 1/2 month time from now now til the end of July. So im naive to think we could get an update within that frame? Howbout, no.
    05-12-09 01:21 PM
    I don't think that you can ask people in a forum like this if you should buy a product that is the target of the forum's rampant tainted fanboyism. Seriously, everytime a released O.S. pops up; the browser is said to get faster, the accelerometer is claimed to be faster, etc. By now the Storm should be rock solid if you believe what is said in these forums, but it isn't. It's been a headache for most users. But that makes sense if you think about it. It was RIM's first attempt at a touchscreen and truly their first purely consumer targeted product, so it's natural that it would have it's speedbumps.

And we all need to stop whining about VZW's lack of an update to the OS, because the simple fact of the matter is that they don't write the updates. RIM does and we have all seen tons of bugs in every leaked OS. Seriously...RIM doesn't know their device well enough or how to code well enough to release one near bugless OS that matches a testing criteria that was certainly published to them from their largest US vendor? That's a problem with RIM, not VZW.

That's exactly what I mean about fanboyism in here...You spread a ton of hate to VZW and none to RIM where the trouble really lies. Think about it from VZW's point of view... they just want to avoid the cost associated with tons of people calling in problems. So why would they switch from an OS (.75) where they have the bugs/fixes documented to one (.141, etc) where they don't. It's VZW that has to take your calls, not RIM. And Rogers, etc have less subscribers, so it isn't as big a deal costwise for them to deal with less rigorous testing standards.
    I don't know about thatl; Telus, Bell and Vodaphone have a huge customer base as well and they have released new os, respectively (Bell/Telus 122, Vodaphone 141) and also if you look at their respective forums not a lot of users are up and arms complaining about these OS.

I think VZW could have released 122 or 131(??) and would have made a lot of storm users happy. Not CB members because we are always on the hunt for latest os.
    05-12-09 01:35 PM
    to be perfectly honest, unless you are willing to upgrade with leaks and hybrids, I wouldn't expect any support from VZW. Why should they change now?
    05-12-09 02:22 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD