So I got this fancy new Storm from Verizon wireless about two weeks ago and it has been the most frustrating experience ever!!!

I cannot for the love of god get this thing to load/mount on my pc or Mac computer! I've tried every single little tip/trick that i've read on this forum to get it to work and nothing appears to work! Verizon support techs don't know what's wrong either and have told me to just wait and see if the software update that will be released soon solves my problem. I have had no problems with my brother's Curve 8900 so I know computers are not the problem.

I'm still within my 30 day grace period for canceling my contract without penalty but I really want this thing to work! Is there anyone out here that can help? Verizon has a great network in my area and i'd have to settle for ATT. Here's what i'm experiencing if anyone cares to troubleshoot...

On my pc...
    I have all the latest drivers/software updates installed.
    Blackberry Desktop loads up just fine and diplays device pin when my phone is connected. I cannot however sync with my itunes and My Computer does not display a removable drive like it usually does when I have a memory stick inserted. Media Manager returns an error, something to the effect of "could not detect removable card" or something similar. Device updates from blackberry's website also returns error message about "internet service".

In my mac...
    Blackberry won't mount any drives whatsoever. The device charges but there seems to be no data connection. Pocket Mac does not display a device pin or any sign that device is connected.

What i've tried...
    -Restarted device multiple times. (soft reset and removing battery for several minutes.
    -Installed latest drivers/software.
    -Uninstalled, cleaned registry, restarted computer, and then reinstalled software/drivers.
    -Adjusted memory settings on Blackberry device.
    -Bunch of other silly solutions that I read on the forums.

I should mention that this is my second Blackberry Storm as my first one had some sort of defect that made it reset itself over and over. So far not a very good first impression from Blackberry.

Thanks for reading through my rant.
    03-19-09 10:33 PM
    do you have another usb "storage" device on your PC connected at the same time? my xp machine wont recognize more than one at a time... much frustration with CS before figuring it out on my own. Anyhoo - just a shot in the dark. Best of luck
    03-19-09 10:46 PM
    Hey. I am sorry to hear all of your problems with your blackberry. Some problems I have are similar to yours. For example, I am unable to sync iTunes playlists like you and also I cannot install Media Manager. I have decided this is due to the fact that I have Windows Vista 64bit OS installed on my computer. I believe from looking on the internet that the software isn't compatible with 64bit. What sort of helped is downloading the Desktop Manager software from Blackberry's website as opposed to using the CD that came with the phone. Also, may I ask what kind of PC you are operating with. There is a great deal of problems with the storm but rumor has it that an official release is coming out by the end of march so I would just suggest to wait it out. If that doesn't work I would take the phone back to Verizon and ask for another phone. It could be defective. I hope some of this helps you.
    03-19-09 10:46 PM
    Try this:
    Go to Options > Memory > Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Go to Options > Memory > Auto Enaable Mass Storage Mode when Connected: Yes
    Dont know how many problems this will solve but it made my Storm so I can connect to my Macintosh.
    Try being a little more patient with it. It took me about three weeks until I decided I would keep it. I was about to heave it thru a plate glass window at one point but now I love it, can't put it down...
    03-19-09 10:51 PM
    Also, may I ask what kind of PC you are operating with.
    I have a HP Pavilion Dv1000 running Windows XP with all the latest updates/patches. I know Verizon keeps saying that they are due for a device update any day now but i'm worried that the update will not solve my problem and that i'll be past my 30 day period. The tech suggested that I replace the device under warranty as a last resort but he didn't think it is. I was able to get my first Storm device to sync just fine but unfortunately that one was defective in other ways.

I do want to thank everyone who has replied so far for being so helpful. Everyone at my job has Blackberrys and tell me about how great the device is so I would really like for this to work. AT&T doesn't have reception in all the areas that I travel to so the iPhone really isn't an option for me.
    03-19-09 11:02 PM
    Did u check the mass storage options?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-09 12:55 AM
    Well I had the same problem with my blackberry storm. What I did was uninstall the blackberry desktop program.

Then went to Verizons website

search.vzw.com/?do=viewdoc&id=17427&p=null

This will give you the step by step process.

I am assuming you used the install disk from the box to set up the blackberry desktop, which is what I originally did as well.

Step two will bring you to the link to download the version I use to synch my blackberry storm to my desktop. (Which actually works, go figure lol)

Good Luck
    03-20-09 02:29 AM
    The BB desktop software is totally $hit. My desk top CD wouldn't even load on my computer and I tried it on ALL THREE of my laptops. I then downloaded it from Verizon and that one loaded on. The problem I have however is the desk top will just fade away in the middle of a sync or backup and not complete the task or just acts erratic when I open it. Its a god awful mess I'm really surprised at RIM, nothing about the Storm seems well planned or well executed.
    03-20-09 02:38 AM
    Sorry you're having all the problems. From your description I can tell that the Mass Storage options, as mentioned in another reply, will allow the PC to recognize the Storm as USB storage devices. The pin displayed on the Desktop Manager shows the connection of the USB cable is ok. The iTunes Sync won't happen if the Mass Storage settings are not correct. Finally, I know it's against the instincts of nearly everyone, but spend some time reading the manual on the CD. Copy it to your PC and put a shortcut on your desktop. A lot of the tips I've read on here and other forums are right out of the manual.
    It's a really good phone/pda. Don't give up on it.

John
    03-20-09 08:32 AM
    Mass storage is enabled and still not working. I've tried every conceivable configuration imaginable and still no luck. I think ill make a visit to the verizon store during lunch and see what they can do for me.
    03-20-09 09:27 AM
    What security software are you running? What OS on the PC? It really doesn't sound like the phone is the issue, check out Blackberrys site. I believe they have a FAQ re desktop OS.
    03-20-09 09:50 AM
    Do you have a card reader on your computer? Maybe try taking out the memory card from the Storm and seeing if that shows up by itself when plugged in to your computer. If that works, then backup what's on the card, format it and put it back in your Storm. Reboot your Storm and plug it directly into a USB port on the back of your computer and not a hub.

Do your backups and calendar/email syncs work ok through DM? If Mass Storage Mode is on and DM is recognizing your PIN, there is something fishy going on. If you have a friend who will let you try it on their computer, give that a try also just to be safe.

I've had XP do stupid things where it won't be able to see my ipod or even my Storm because I had another device plugged in first.
    03-20-09 10:05 AM
    Just an update here.... I ended up replacing my Storm with another. It appears it was a Phone malfunction. The new set (now on my 3rd) appears to be working fine so far (fingers crossed). Thanks for all of your help everyone!
    03-21-09 03:35 PM
    Even if you cancel, you'll still have to pay that $36 activation charge. The fine print explains it all
    03-21-09 03:49 PM
    thanks motrv8d for your help
    03-21-09 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD