Didn't see a thread on this yet.

Storm Rotation Wizard

I've been using the free trial of Stop Tilt and I like it but the resetting of it's settings after every battery pull/restart is annoying.

Anyone know if this app has the same problem or is different in any way?
    Last edited by Penutbutter_N_Jelly; 05-13-09 at 08:49 AM.
    05-13-09 08:41 AM
    It has the same problem. You have to redo your settings after a reset. I personally think that it also takes a little longer to setup than StopTilt. They both really need to fix this. I think whichever gets it done first will have a huge advantage over the other.....
    05-13-09 08:53 AM
    It has the same problem. You have to redo your settings after a reset. I personally think that it also takes a little longer to setup than StopTilt. They both really need to fix this. I think whichever gets it done first will have a huge advantage over the other.....
    Thanks. That sucks. I'll stick with Stop Tilt for now. Hopefully the app creators can get around this and also figure out to allow for landscape/portrait to be toggled by a convenience key.
    05-13-09 09:03 AM
    Does anyone know if there's a way to get it to work for 3rd Party Apps? I was probably one of the first to mention a desire for this app here in the threads a few months ago, so i'm IN LOVE WITH IT! lol.

But, while it gives me the option of locking the orientation in Facebook and Twitterberry, once I click on it, it doesnt send me to the screen to actually follow thru with the lock. Any ideas???
    05-13-09 09:07 AM
    so which do you users recommend this app or stop tilt?
    05-13-09 09:44 AM
    so which do you users recommend this app or stop tilt?
    I haven't heard of much difference in the two. They both need to be setup again after a reboot (the orientations that you have locked) and neither seem to work for 3rd party apps right now. If these two issues are fixed, both apps would be EVEN MORE great!
    05-13-09 09:50 AM
    I just got the storm rotation wizard. Easy enough to use. Bumbed to hear that I have to worry about resetting everytime I reboot, but oh well.

App works as advertised. The only thing I dont like (besides what I said above) is that once you screen lock your device, it will start rotating even if you have locked the home screen to portrait only. Just annoying to me. Might not bother other people.

Other than those two gripes, I love this app because I have my home screen flipping everytime I put the phone down on a flat surface.
    05-13-09 09:51 AM
    Whichever fixes the reset/reboot settings issue gets my vote. Not that it matters as they both already got my money!
    05-13-09 09:52 AM
    I am in no way an expert, but I don't think alot of what you ask for is possible. As stated many times, there is no inherent way to lock the orientation of someone else's app (and for good reason). I'm guessing what the dev's are doing is a hack (hence the menu item). Once an app is opened you can set the acceptable orientation of the Storm. I assume all there menu item is doing is calling the code to lock the device to a specific orientation. You will have to ask them to be sure. While it is probably likely they can develop a way to persist the settings across reboots, I see two particular landfalls (possibly three for the devs).

1) The device locks the orientation at startup. Most apps that lock the orientation do so before the screen is displayed so it is forced to a particular view. Once the app is started this cannot be done. So if you open the phone in portrait and have it set to lock in landscape it will lock a portrait layout in a landscape view (ie one side of the screen will be blank).
    2) Everytime they add the ability to lock another app, you would have to redo the settings for all of your apps, unless they save the data to your phone and and not the OS memory space. This would slow down the app greatly, as they would have to read a text file on every device startup and lock all of the apps, or do this on every app that opens.
    3) For them to do this for all 3rd party apps, they would need to either get the name of the internal file (as named by the dev) or buy every 3rd party app so they can look them up.

Like I said, I'm no expert, from what I have read on BB development, those are the likely issues they are running into. As well, they should be applauded for having the ingenuity to think of the idea to push global menu items that allow you to even lock other apps.
    05-13-09 09:53 AM
    The only thing I dont like (besides what I said above) is that once you screen lock your device, it will start rotating even if you have locked the home screen to portrait only.
    Mine doesn't seem to be suffering from this issue. Maybe i'm misunderstanding something. I am also using PatternLock and i am using lyricidal's .141/5.0 hybrid.
    05-13-09 09:55 AM

App works as advertised. The only thing I dont like (besides what I said above) is that once you screen lock your device, it will start rotating even if you have locked the home screen to portrait only. Just annoying to me. Might not bother other people.
    On mine, when you lock the phone the screen does rotate but once you unlock the phone it still remembers that portrait mode has been locked into place.
    Last edited by MHarvey124; 05-13-09 at 10:03 AM.
    05-13-09 09:59 AM
    I am in no way an expert, but I don't think alot of what you ask for is possible. As stated many times, there is no inherent way to lock the orientation of someone else's app (and for good reason). I'm guessing what the dev's are doing is a hack (hence the menu item). Once an app is opened you can set the acceptable orientation of the Storm. I assume all there menu item is doing is calling the code to lock the device to a specific orientation. You will have to ask them to be sure. While it is probably likely they can develop a way to persist the settings across reboots, I see two particular landfalls (possibly three for the devs).

1) The device locks the orientation at startup. Most apps that lock the orientation do so before the screen is displayed so it is forced to a particular view. Once the app is started this cannot be done. So if you open the phone in portrait and have it set to lock in landscape it will lock a portrait layout in a landscape view (ie one side of the screen will be blank).
    2) Everytime they add the ability to lock another app, you would have to redo the settings for all of your apps, unless they save the data to your phone and and not the OS memory space. This would slow down the app greatly, as they would have to read a text file on every device startup and lock all of the apps, or do this on every app that opens.
    3) For them to do this for all 3rd party apps, they would need to either get the name of the internal file (as named by the dev) or buy every 3rd party app so they can look them up.

Like I said, I'm no expert, from what I have read on BB development, those are the likely issues they are running into. As well, they should be applauded for having the ingenuity to think of the idea to push global menu items that allow you to even lock other apps.
    I agree with you on most of this and i am no bb expert either. I, personally, am not too concerned about third party apps and do believe that screen orientation options should be handled by individual devs for their respective applications. If possible, i would like for them to find a way to make the orientation settings persist for the home screen and call screen. RIM really should've added this option from the get go.
    And i really do respect the devs for offering what we have. But, like i said, if one of them finds a way to save the settings on reset/restart, (bb api equiv to sendkeys??) is gonna lead the pack.....i wouldn't mind a little delay in startup to get that benefit. What's another 30 secs. added to a 4-5 min reboot anyway....
    05-13-09 10:05 AM
    Mine doesn't seem to be suffering from this issue. Maybe i'm misunderstanding something. I am also using PatternLock and i am using lyricidal's .141/5.0 hybrid.
    Yah.... mine isn't rotating because i have PatternLock set to lock the rotation to portrait too.........
    05-13-09 10:08 AM
    I just purchased Storm Rotation and have been using it for a little bit. When I put the screen in Portrait. The Phone stays in portrait mode. I also have Storm Slider installed. When I lock the Phone, Storm Slider comes on after a few seconds and stays locked in portrait as well.
    05-13-09 10:11 AM
    I don't mind juat hittinf the BB button and disabling tilt whenever I want..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 10:12 AM
    I think Stop Tilt gives the user the ability to lock more apps but yes I have noticed that it doesn�t work with 3rd party app (like Viigo). Does Storm Rotation just lock the home screen???

Based on the price I think Storm Rotation has the advantage once Stop Tilt's $2.99 promotion ends and the price jumps back up to $10. Don�t get me wrong there are apps out there worth 10 bucks but this isn�t one of them.
    05-13-09 10:13 AM
    I am in no way an expert, but I don't think alot of what you ask for is possible. As stated many times, there is no inherent way to lock the orientation of someone else's app (and for good reason).
    Sounds a lot like the initial comments made in that there was no way to associate a screen lock app to the BB lock key - same argument made then "and for good reason". It was found later it was possible - so who knows if this is truly impossible or not
    05-13-09 10:19 AM
    Question about the trial of Stop Tilt. As far as I can tell, this trial is unlimited and uncut. Is there any limitations or any expiration of it or anything??

I don't see how it can even expire if it's on my phone and has nothing to do with internet.

Anyone?
    05-13-09 11:00 AM
    Question about the trial of Stop Tilt. As far as I can tell, this trial is unlimited and uncut. Is there any limitations or any expiration of it or anything??
    There was one forum (I think this one: http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/ne...optilt-226449/) where this was mentioned and it says that there are no limitations on the trial verision but did not specify how long the trial version would last.

I agree that i do see how the trial verision would end.
    05-13-09 11:30 AM
    It's time limited. After that, it asks for registration info. Not sure if reinstalling would buy you more time or not but that would get old after a while. Anyway, it's only 3 friggin bucks......
    05-13-09 11:31 AM
    I'm not sure about this app but stoptilt does not show as a running app which I LOVE!
    05-13-09 11:46 AM
    does this app show as a running app? and also does it work no matter what theme you have running?
    05-13-09 11:51 AM
    hmm free trial... magic words that make me want to try it stat.
    05-13-09 12:24 PM
    Stop Tilt really does seem great, it works perfect so far. It's so simple to switch on and off for any specific screen and it's so lightweight..like he said, no running app icon, no icon in the menu, nothing.

I just wish it worked with Facebook, but perhaps someday.

Is there anything about Storm Rotation Wizard that beats all the above (before I go buying Stop Tilt)?
    05-13-09 12:36 PM
    Agreed its only 3 friggin bucks but thats with the friggin discount.

Right now the apps seem pretty similar but once the discount runs out Storm Wizard is going to look a whole lot better.

For Stop Tilt... The trial is a plus and i like how this program just integrates with the Storm OS.
    05-13-09 01:47 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD