I have a 9530 Storm that I bought on release day. I have dust under the screen it's accumulating bit by bit all the time. It doesnt IMPEDE my view of the screen but it is a nuisance. I never really cared much and thought that I might as well save the 'free replacement' in case something did go wrong (ie: bricked by OS, scratched the surface or somehow did some minor aesthetic damage, stuff like that)

Can I still get it replaced if I call in to complain? this still fall under some sort of manufacturer's 1 year warranty?
    05-19-09 02:39 PM
    I have a 9530 Storm that I bought on release day. I have dust under the screen it's accumulating bit by bit all the time. It doesnt IMPEDE my view of the screen but it is a nuisance. I never really cared much and thought that I might as well save the 'free replacement' in case something did go wrong (ie: bricked by OS, scratched the surface or somehow did some minor aesthetic damage, stuff like that)

Can I still get it replaced if I call in to complain? this still fall under some sort of manufacturer's 1 year warranty?
    I would think so!
    05-19-09 02:58 PM
    yeah you can just make up a reason to return it they know there so many issues with it that they rarely question you.
    05-19-09 04:14 PM
    I had mine replaced for dust under the screen. They will send you a refurbished one instead of a new one although you might be able to get a new one if you argue with them enough. Your replacement Storm will most likely get dust in it again. I got my first Storm on Christmas '08 and in February noticed dust under the screen. I got it replaced and now my current Storm has dust under the screen. At some point I read something about Storms manufactured in Canada being more susceptible to dust under the screen than those made in Mexico but I don't know how valid that was.
    05-19-09 04:38 PM
    Hi guys

I also have a storm and suffer from this same problem. Is it covered by the warranty?
    Has there ever been any kind of updat of the screen hardware yet ?
    06-10-09 06:02 PM
    I was told that dust happens and that it is not covered. My curve even had a little dust under the screen. Sadly, dust is a fact of life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-09 06:30 PM
    I think its funny that so many people have this problem. My Storm is exposed to tons of dusty enviornments, has no case at all, and it still hasnt gotten a spec of dust under the screen.
    06-10-09 07:00 PM
    How many times can you do this and what number do I call

06-10-09 07:39 PM
    I was just planning to take it back to bestbuy. That's wherer I bought mine. Otherwise ygr one year warrenty is just through blackberry isn't it?
    06-10-09 07:45 PM
    I think its funny that so many people have this problem. My Storm is exposed to tons of dusty enviornments, has no case at all, and it still hasnt gotten a spec of dust under the screen.
    I work in a cabinet shop with lots and lots of dusty dust and with no case don't have any dust problems.

06-10-09 08:56 PM
    ya i have alot of dust under my screen it pisses me off
    06-11-09 12:54 PM
    Dust should be covered under 1 year mftg warranty.

06-11-09 01:02 PM
    Yes, i had mine replaced because of the dust. I just had it replaced again because the backlight was flickering. I also had a few swaps because i wasnt happy with the way the sure-press felt on 3 others lol.
    06-11-09 01:21 PM
    I've returned my storm twice for dust under the screen and they didn't give me any hassle whatsoever.

06-11-09 01:50 PM
    I got my Storm in Dec 08 and after a few weeks I noticed a few dust specs under the screen. By the end of May 09 it was loaded with dust under the screen, really bad. I called Verizon and spoke to customer service. The girl put me on hold saying she had to call RIM to see if this was a valid issue with the Storm. She came back a few minutes later and said that RIM had acknowledged that dust was a problem on some units and that she could take it back. Not sure why she was looking to them for that approval, but Verizon sent me what looked like a new Storm. The replacement unit is made in Mexico and has 09 04 01 on the inside of the battery cover. That might mean it's made in Apr 09, but I'm not sure about that. So far, so good.
    06-11-09 04:27 PM
    While this isn't the topic of conversation here, I should point out that the dust can be safely and easily removed via this method -

While this technically could result in problems with your Storm, I have done this several times on mine and it works easily and does not cause any problems.

With that said, I still feel RIM should deal with these problems firsthand since there are a ton of Storm users out there with dusty screens, clicking that doesn't work, crashing, etc...
    06-11-09 04:50 PM
    what number do i call if i want to get a warranty for dust?
    06-11-09 06:39 PM
    *611, or just 611

06-11-09 06:49 PM
    one more question? sorry, but does it matter what shape your storm is in? i mean ive dropped mine a few times so it has a couple scratches is that o kay
    06-11-09 07:09 PM
    hey guys just a heads up I work at bestbuy and if you take it back to us 99 times out of 100 we will say take it to verizon because there is nothing wrong with it and its not covered under our waranty. but what verizon does is all its own business.
    06-13-09 05:52 PM
    one more question? sorry, but does it matter what shape your storm is in? i mean ive dropped mine a few times so it has a couple scratches is that o kay
    I just got a replacement a week ago. My defective storm had also few scratches. I think they won't mention about the scratches, because dust under the screen issue is obviously manufacture's fault, unless the device has critically damaged.
    So I got new one, (exactly it might be a refub but looks new), I'm very happy.
    Just call to 611 and tell them that you wanna get replacement because of dust under the screen, the operator might gonna have some question about the dust through their manual, then, you gonna be transfer to technical support. And boom, anyway you will have clean device, don't worry.
    Last edited by chyoch; 06-15-09 at 12:58 AM.
    06-13-09 08:43 PM
    anyway you can get a new one? lol i dont really think a refurb is what i want
    06-13-09 08:55 PM
    Yes, yesterday I had mine replaced because of dust under the screen at a Verizon corporate store... the manager and associate I dealt with acted as if this is a pretty common thing and didn't argue it at all, good luck!

P.S.
    They gave me a brand new one also, no refurb. They also replaced mine that was made in Mexico with one that was produced in Canada! :]
    06-13-09 10:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD