Hello everyone who has or had a storm. I currently have a 8310 Curve, and I love my phone. However I would like the touch screen interface. I tired the iphone for a week and after two days realized that Apple dosent come close to being able to compete with the business aspects of a blackberry.

That being said, I have read alot of disturbing complaints about the storm. My friend just got one yesterday and I played with it and it looks and feels great. I didnt notice any particular problems that were discussed, however she has only had the phone a couple of days.

Do you guys and girls think its worth changing, or is it a mistake? I currently dont have Wi-Fi with my phone so thats not that big of an issue. I use my phone for my business and I want a reliable phone. Do you think this will live up to the curve, or am I making a mistake?

Please let me know your thoughts, but please be objective.

Thanks
    02-15-09 03:45 AM
    If you're using it for business, just my humble .02, I wouldn't let go of that Curve
    02-15-09 05:20 AM
    Hello everyone who has or had a storm. I currently have a 8310 Curve, and I love my phone. However I would like the touch screen interface. I tired the iphone for a week and after two days realized that Apple dosent come close to being able to compete with the business aspects of a blackberry.

That being said, I have read alot of disturbing complaints about the storm. My friend just got one yesterday and I played with it and it looks and feels great. I didnt notice any particular problems that were discussed, however she has only had the phone a couple of days.

Do you guys and girls think its worth changing, or is it a mistake? I currently dont have Wi-Fi with my phone so thats not that big of an issue. I use my phone for my business and I want a reliable phone. Do you think this will live up to the curve, or am I making a mistake?

Thanks
    Hi,
    I bought a Storm just before Xmas as the wife really fancied it. We've just sold it and are looking to go back to one with buttons! She couldn't text with her nails on the touchscreen (not long talons either!) and even I had trouble hitting the right keys with my stubby thick fingers. The principal of the phone is great, but the application needs work. My son's Iphone touchscreen is much easier and more accruate IMHO. Regards.....
    02-15-09 05:32 AM
    I love my Storm so far =) way better than my Pearl.
    02-15-09 05:49 AM
    The storm is my first blackberry and I never had any problems with it. I'm probably one of the "lucky" ones who received an original from launch.

I switched to OS .99 from .75 mainly for the full Qwerty keyboard on portrait.

What type of features are your must have and what can u live without?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-09 06:41 AM

Thanks
    short and sweet nope easily said
    02-15-09 12:59 PM
    I had a curve before the storm too. When the talks about the storm came out pre release I said I would never go to the storm because of the keyboard. I use mine for business emails a lot and cant afford to be lagged. Then once it launched my wife was due for an upgrade and she didn't like any of the phones at VZW and while she was in the looking I played with the storm. I found typing was fine and decided to use her upgrade to get it. It took about a week to get typing speed to where I was on the curve but after that Ive been really pleased.

As far as the complaints you hear, I would encourage you to try it for yourself and take advantage of the 30 days VZW gives you to try it and decide for yourself. I see your on AT&T are you looking to jump carriers or unlock?

PS: Reliability is much better with the leaked OSs. With .103 mine is just as reliable as my curve was.
    02-15-09 01:09 PM
    they should extend the 30 day return policy for the reason is, they dont release any os updates and I mean none.
    02-15-09 01:16 PM
    I'm looking at doing the same thing, so good thread!
    02-15-09 05:28 PM
    You want a phone for business and reliability.

And you disliked the iPhone?

I wouldn't go with the Storm.
    02-15-09 05:30 PM
    I have had a storm for almost 8 weeks and absolutely hate it. On average I have to call Verizon's tech support once a week to keep my phone working. I am using the latest official firmware and BB Manager client. I have not used the camera, MP3, or video playback capabilities on this phone yet, so I have no comments on that yet. I'm just trying to get the basics to work right now. To give you an idea of the problems I have had in just the last week, here is a list:
    -one way audio in a call
    -dropped calls
    -In-a-call menu not showing up when I'm in a call.
    - 1/2 charged battery when I went to bed, and was fully discharged when I woke up the next morning (8 hours later). The phone actually turned itself off before I woke up, because the battery was so dead.
    -portrait/landscape mode not working well.
    -download failed when incoming call came in
    - BB user interface asked for a password, but wouldn't give me a field to enter it. (I was temporarily locked out of my own phone).
    - Storm crashed.
    - BB manager crash during sync with Storm.
    - Tasks loosing preferences when rebooted.
    - UI sluggish
    Do I need to say more ???
    I actually asked local Verizon store manager (where I bought the phone) if I could switch to another model. He said I would have to pay "full retail price". I considered this an insult. This means he wouldn't refund the Storm or give me the new contract price on another smart phone (even though I signed a 2 year contract to get the Storm, 2 months earlier). So switching to another smartphone would cost around $500 or so. So BEWARE, Verizon is NOT flexible on their 30 day evaluation period. Once it is over, the phone is yours, no matter how many tech support calls you have to make to keep the phone running. This is the most unreliable phone or PDA I've ever owned.
    02-15-09 06:50 PM
    I was using the Curve, starting with the Storm, on day 4 now. It's a fun phone, and the interface is cool. However, if I'm driving, it's not as easy to bring up a contact, or text (which I realize I'm not supposed to, but it's reality). Typing on a touchscreen is hard for me. Some people love it, but I REALLY miss my hardware QWERTY keyboard--and for this reason I may go back to the Curve.. Other than that it's fine.
    02-15-09 06:56 PM
    Despite all the bad that's been said about the storm, I think you've got to try it yourself and see. You'll find a wide range of opinions on this forum, and it ain't gonna help in making your decision. You got 30 days; give it a shot!

02-15-09 07:06 PM
    Honest opinion:
    Storm is a more casual Blackberry. You get the same functionality of a regular 'berry but in a more relaxed presentation. And that's the catch: its relaxed.

The Storm's lack of a physical keyboard will slow down people who are used to a physical keyboard. I simply can't use physical keyboard phones so I have no problem typing a quick email or message. I use MMS to relay photo evidence of subcontractor faults to my supervisors. But if you are used to to a physical keyboard, you might have trouble adapting. That'll go for any all touch phone imo tho
    02-15-09 07:13 PM
    The Storm is the best touch phone on the market in many ways... it's buggy as ****.. but only very randomly so... My hat is always in the ring for people trying it for 30 days too.
    02-15-09 07:15 PM
    I was using the Curve, starting with the Storm, on day 4 now. It's a fun phone, and the interface is cool. However, if I'm driving, it's not as easy to bring up a contact, or text (which I realize I'm not supposed to, but it's reality). Typing on a touchscreen is hard for me. Some people love it, but I REALLY miss my hardware QWERTY keyboard--and for this reason I may go back to the Curve.. Other than that it's fine.
    Download quick launch to pull up your contacts faster. I was having the same problem before quick launch. You can also set it up on your left key so you only have to push 2 buttons to make a call. It took me a good month before I was typing as fast as I was with my curve. I love my storm and wouldn't trade it for anything.

02-15-09 07:37 PM
    I appreciate the input. I went ahead and got the phone. I have tried it out for a day now, and I agree with you, calling is a little different, but you have to remember its a touch screen. Even though there may be some querks to the phone, you cants deny the ease of use to view the web pages and media.

My only noticiable complaint is that I switched from at&t 8310 to Verizon Storm and I have noticed that the sound quality when talking on the phone doesnt seem to be as crisp. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it the different carrier or is it the phone? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Buy the way thanks everyone for the input. I will give it a shot.
    02-15-09 11:38 PM
    I know what you are implying, but I did a comparrison at the time which was back in July of last year. At the time I made this decision this is what the iphone could not do at that time, and the software was not available.

1. No tethering with PC. Many times I work in remote areas of the U.S. and do not have Wireless connectivity.

2. Not able to send customers MMS pictures at a moments notice. I work with alot of owners and business people and its a hassel to have to email every picture.

3. Phone does not have a flash. Sometimes I am in an attic or in a ceiling needing to take a picture for a client.

4. Does not have versatile blue tooth connectivity to all other devices with out other software or hardware.

5. Did not have at the time turn by turn navagation directions.

You have to admit, at the time thats quite a few very important items that the iphone didnt have or may still not have.
    02-15-09 11:45 PM
    I have to agree with you. Its like others were saying, you have to feel comfortable with the touch screen concept. Its not for everyone, but I do love the better web browsing screen clarity and viewing capability. I will see what problems I end up with.

For now, the only thing that I have noticed is that the call clarity does not seem as good as the curve 8310. I dont know if this is because of the verizon network instead of at&t or if it is the phone. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
    02-15-09 11:50 PM
    how do i sync my email addresses into the storm? i am able to receive my emails, but the addresses are not in there? thanks!
    02-16-09 01:20 AM
    how do i sync my email addresses into the storm? i am able to receive my emails, but the addresses are not in there? thanks!
    Where are your addresses stored?

Gmail: Download Google Sync at Google Mobile
    MS Office Outlook / Outlook Express / Vista Mail: setup the sychronization process in the Blackerry Desktop Manager.
    Yahoo: setup the synchronization process in the Blackberry Desktop Manager
    Still in your Curve: ask someone how to use the Switch Blackberry Device option in the Desktop Manager
    02-16-09 01:24 AM

Thanks
    only you can decide. it seems like the issues are hit and miss. i also think that some people who aren't existing berry users aren't prepared for the upkeep of having a smartphone, battery pulls and the sort. personally i love it. im very open minded about new tech, some people can be quite critical, some people are more laxed like i am. the 30 day WFG is your friend. either way i recommend VZW over any other carrier. it might be more expensive (which i have yet to find a carrier who can provide all the services that i have at the same level of quality at a lesser rate) but you get what you pay for. unless your in one of the few areas VZW doesn't have coverage, then i say get the storm, check it out, get a feel for it, and if you don't like it you can always return it.
    02-16-09 01:44 AM
    AMEN to that...I got a storm for work...eventhough its free...I HATE it. I still have the curve as my personal phone...and Im contemplating on returning it to Verizon and just get myself another Curve.

Its sooo slow and annoying!! Suretype...grrrr!!! It makes me mad!!

Thanks!!

You want a phone for business and reliability.

And you disliked the iPhone?

I wouldn't go with the Storm.
    03-18-09 01:04 AM
    I had the Storm since 11/21. At first I liked it because of the beautiful screen, but I soon cam to hate it! It's quirky and unreliable. I finally went back to the Curve which is the most reliable berry I've used. I will never buy a new berry when it is initially released again!
    03-18-09 05:22 PM
    Holy thread resurrection.
    03-18-09 10:31 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD