The Storm is the first Blackberry I've ever owned, and I love it (I wanted one last year but got the Voyager instead because I like the touch ability)

But I have a few questions (and forgive me...I'm a newbie at the whole Blackberry scene )

1) I see many people talking about upgrading their OS, yet the only updates I see are on the Desktop Manager that comes with it. Is there another way? Is there some way I can keep my original incase of the chance it crashes?

2) There are times (and quite a few in the past week and half) that when I press the screen, I get this box thingy in the middle that spins and makes me wait to get to do what I want. I have to hit the end button like 4 times and then it goes when I want.

3) Is there a way to make it faster? I mean, it's not extremely slow, but there are times it lags when a button is pressed

4) I've downloaded a couple applications and themes to my desktop from this site, yet I don't know how to put them on. Anyone know?

5) I had done a hard reset of the phone recently (bought it a month ago...today...lol) to get my bluetooth to work (I have the Plantronics 233 - and it doesn't like to use voice dialing, but still...) and I've taken out the battery and put it in a few times, but now when I get an alert, I get half of the red circle thing that goes on the button/email that I receive. Is there a way to fix that

6) I moved some pictures from my Voyagers SD card to my blackberry (or at least I thought I did. I moved them into "device memory") but I can't find them now...and the people at Verizon had no idea how to find them. I have some pictures (including some of my late grandparents) that I'd like on my phone. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Forgive me if I sound stupid, but this is my first blackberry as I mentioned, and even though I LOVE it, I'm still lost half the time.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

02-21-09 11:24 AM
    The Storm is the first Blackberry I've ever owned, and I love it (I wanted one last year but got the Voyager instead because I like the touch ability)

But I have a few questions (and forgive me...I'm a newbie at the whole Blackberry scene )

1) I see many people talking about upgrading their OS, yet the only updates I see are on the Desktop Manager that comes with it. Is there another way? Is there some way I can keep my original incase of the chance it crashes?

2) There are times (and quite a few in the past week and half) that when I press the screen, I get this box thingy in the middle that spins and makes me wait to get to do what I want. I have to hit the end button like 4 times and then it goes when I want.

3) Is there a way to make it faster? I mean, it's not extremely slow, but there are times it lags when a button is pressed

4) I've downloaded a couple applications and themes to my desktop from this site, yet I don't know how to put them on. Anyone know?

5) I had done a hard reset of the phone recently (bought it a month ago...today...lol) to get my bluetooth to work (I have the Plantronics 233 - and it doesn't like to use voice dialing, but still...) and I've taken out the battery and put it in a few times, but now when I get an alert, I get half of the red circle thing that goes on the button/email that I receive. Is there a way to fix that

6) I moved some pictures from my Voyagers SD card to my blackberry (or at least I thought I did. I moved them into "device memory") but I can't find them now...and the people at Verizon had no idea how to find them. I have some pictures (including some of my late grandparents) that I'd like on my phone. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Forgive me if I sound stupid, but this is my first blackberry as I mentioned, and even though I LOVE it, I'm still lost half the time.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Ok here it goes

1 - Go here to find out how to update your OS http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/

if you dont like it and want to go back go here http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...os-pix-129984/

To get the newest leaked OS check in this forum http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/

2 - Likely updating the OS will fix this
    3 - Likely updating the OS will fix this
    4 - Where did you download them to? If it was an OTA like use your BB to download them and they will install automatically.
    5 - I don't use blue tooth, so I'm not sure on this one
    6 - Have you checked the device memory folder? I would use the computer to search for them, it might be a little easier to explore the files. It will look like your looking at files on a flash drive.

Feel free to PM me if you need more help.
    02-21-09 11:49 AM
    You don't sound like an ***** at all, you sound like a new owner of a complicated and powerful device trying to get your bearings.

First, congrats on your storm. With some patience and a lot of reading, you will beat the learning curve associated with owning your first BB and never want another device.

Second, in response to # 4,
    -if the programs you downloaded (once located on your PC) are of the .jad or .alx extention, to install open the Desktop manager, connect the phone, open the application loader (app loader), select "add/remove applications" and it will bring up a list of the applications on the the device allready. Scroll down and look for the app you downloaded. If you don't see it, select " browse" and direc the app loader to wher the .jad or .alx file is and it will show up on the list. Once you see the app in the list make sure it is checked and follow the rest of the steps.

-If the app downloaded is a .exe or some form of windows app, you need to first install it to your desktop. Once you do this open manager> app loader> add/remove and it should automatically be in the list and checked for install.

#5 - Right now bluetooth is hit and miss with this device. I have 3 different bluetooths and have opted for the 3.5 to 2.5mm conversion cable sold on the store here so I can at least use the wired headsets I have. It works like a charm.

Good luck with your new device.
    02-21-09 12:11 PM
    I never did a hard reset, but using QuickPull helps when it starts to slow down. Use you bb browser to download it OTA(directly onto the phone) Just go to this link, and find it in the 1st post(I can't post links yet since im under 10 posts)

forums.crackberry.com/f134/blackberry-storm-ota-apps-thread-107305/
    02-21-09 12:23 PM
    Congrats on your new Berry & Welcome to the fold!

Sounds like the previous posts have done well answering you questions, but I've got a question for you...

Did you have the pics from your Voyager before you did a hard reset? If you did, then they were erased when you did the reset & would have to put hem back on your Storm. Using your DM, you should be able to put them on your device in the blackberry/pictures folder.

Most everyone on here is friendly, but feel free to PM me if you could use more help!

-GNRPowdeR

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD