I bought my Storm first day out. Build quality seemed really good and hadn't had any problems with it until recently. Using .75 and experiencing lock ups on calls, keys not functioning without numerous presses, just alot of quirky behavior. I ordered a replacement phone from Verizon. It did not have an ink mark inside the battery case. I believe it was a totally new unit from Canada without the back or sim card. But...it was terrible. It was worse than my original. Had .75 installed but using no 3rd party apps, was so sluggish I couldn't believe it. Both left corners seemed almost dead. Phone was much worse than my original. It was shipped in a small white box that was put into a much larger box without any padding or packaging preventing it from bouncing around inside. Clear screen protector put on half *** as if a second thought. The concern is what kind of quality control is going on here? No one could have tested that phone. You could tell that there was little to no tactile function on the left side in two seconds without turning it on. I don't mind if someone tries and fails. I mind if they don't try at all. I'm talking about construction quality not firmware upgrades here. Is that why others are experiencing some issues while others aren't? And blaming it on software? Not ranting, just informing and asking.
    01-15-09 01:00 PM
    I have the feeling quality control went out the window to meet Verizon's supply quantities. Far too many reports on multiple forums of bad devices.

Perhaps a refurbished unit in another month or two will produce a better quality device.

My screen now creaks (noise) with a mushy feel before it clicks and requires significant pressure in the left corner. I also get it stuck in landscape mode for no reason. It did not do this when new and no software was added.
    01-15-09 01:06 PM
    I also beleive that the quality control on this unit was slim to none. I bought a storm on release day, and within 3 weeks had to do a battery pull more times than I have put together with my last 5 BB's. I decided not to get a replacement because Ive read so many horror stories of them coming and functioning worse than the origonals. Granted some folks have gotten great replacements. I awent back to the curve until May when the Niagra (VZW's Bold) is expected to be released.
    01-15-09 01:14 PM
    I must agree. I bought the Storm approximately two weeks ago and it worked perfectly until yesterday am when it completely died. No lights, no power, nothing. They shipped me a replacement which was new in the box and not a refurb. Well, while the replacement phone DOES work it has a screen issue in that a portion of the screen is completely dark. Ugh! But, I still love the phone!
    01-15-09 01:23 PM
    I have one still from the week one of December batch and it's got quirks - but I am too afraid the replacement will be worse.
    Their QA on this blew because they were just trying to meet their hyped up release date.
    01-15-09 01:31 PM
    I bought my Storm first day out. Build quality seemed really good and hadn't had any problems with it until recently. Using .75 and experiencing lock ups on calls, keys not functioning without numerous presses, just alot of quirky behavior. I ordered a replacement phone from Verizon. It did not have an ink mark inside the battery case. I believe it was a totally new unit from Canada without the back or sim card. But...it was terrible. It was worse than my original. Had .75 installed but using no 3rd party apps, was so sluggish I couldn't believe it. Both left corners seemed almost dead. Phone was much worse than my original. It was shipped in a small white box that was put into a much larger box without any padding or packaging preventing it from bouncing around inside. Clear screen protector put on half *** as if a second thought. The concern is what kind of quality control is going on here? No one could have tested that phone. You could tell that there was little to no tactile function on the left side in two seconds without turning it on. I don't mind if someone tries and fails. I mind if they don't try at all. I'm talking about construction quality not firmware upgrades here. Is that why others are experiencing some issues while others aren't? And blaming it on software? Not ranting, just informing and asking.
    It was not a new unit. It was a refurbed but not really refurbed. The tech industry's dirty little secret of swapping until you are satisfied. If I were you I would storm into the carriers store and DEMAND a new one in complete box with battery and unopened packaging. Inspect at the store then take home. you got a refurbed man. That is how they ship w/o battery and SIM and no packaging. Dont belive that s it that its new.
    01-15-09 01:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD