Because i get bored at work and I think it's ridiculous that the storm is getting such a bad rap over many issues that plague other phones and devices. People act like they've been wronged because they bought a phone. They make claims like false advertising when the ads CLEARLY say "screen images simulated"

People cry about a class action lawsuit even though the VAST majority of storm owners have no problems with the device. People NEVER want to take responsibility for their actions, and think that it might just be how they are operating their phone.

There ARE issues with the storm. No hardware is perfect and the software was definitely released prematurely. It could have been better.

So could any other device. Head on over to an iphone forum and see what kinds of problems people are having... sounds awfully familiar to me

"screen problems" "random reboots" "app store problems" "cant get this app to work"

With large userbases there will ALWAYS be people who dont have any idea what they're doing (look how many threads there are about people asking how to enable wifi on the storm) or bought the product expecting the wrong thing. That's unfortunate, but that doesnt mean that the product should be panned. Does not mean the product is junk (or jank ). Does not mean people should avoid it.

I have nothing against you "warning" other people of your experience, that they might not have to suffer the same. But when people come in here shouting from the rooftops that they hated their storm so much, they'd rather spend their day telling the rest of us why we cannot and should not be enjoying our phone, I feel compelled to offer MY point of view as I have had very few problems at all with this phone.

There are 2 sides to the coin. Experience is everything. Whenever someone is on the fence about the storm, I encourage them to try it as long as there is the opportunity to RETURN it if they do not like it. I know this phone really isn't for everyone. It has divided the masses of both BB users and touch screen phone enthusiasts.

I want people to know that this (crackberry) is not an accurate sample group by which to judge the problems the storm may be having, and that there are MANY of us who are thrilled with this phone. That's why im here

also to laugh. this place brings the lulz in no short supply

two thumbs up!
    05-29-09 09:51 AM

There ARE issues with the storm. No hardware is perfect and the software was definitely released prematurely. It could have been better.

So could any other device. Head on over to an iphone forum and see what kinds of problems people are having... sounds awfully familiar to me
    The point is that the Storm is not in the same class as the G1, iPhone and (soon) Pre, it should be, but it is not. We do not even have a reliable OS for the Storm, and it has been 6 months! Sorry guys, a "leak" or a homemade OS is not considered reliable until it is officially released.

There are clearly better choices out there, and to pretend that there is not, or that the "Storm is better for me" is nonsense.
    05-29-09 11:07 AM
    The point is that the Storm is not in the same class as the G1, iPhone and (soon) Pre, it should be, but it is not. We do not even have a reliable OS for the Storm, and it has been 6 months! Sorry guys, a "leak" or a homemade OS is not considered reliable until it is officially released.

There are clearly better choices out there, and to pretend that there is not, or that the "Storm is better for me" is nonsense.
    Then by that logic, the Storm, Pre, and iPhone are worse than all the BREW based phones out there. The more complex you make something, the higher the chances of errors happening.

As for the leaked OS comment. What will you say if Verizon does release the .148 build on the 31st and it's absolutely no different than the leaked .148 build all of us have had for weeks?

Why can't someone say the Storm's better for them? Who are you to decide what device someone else thinks is better for their needs? Case in point are my parents. Of course the iPhone or BlackBerries (Storm and all others) or Pre are better than the simple BREW based phones they have. But they decided to stick with non-smartphones because it is better for them. They don't need all the extra features and costs that come with smartphones. All they do is make and receive calls while outside the home.
    Last edited by Zipster; 05-29-09 at 11:51 AM.
    05-29-09 11:46 AM

As for the leaked OS comment. What will you say if Verizon does release the .148 build on the 31st and it's absolutely no different than the leaked .148 build all of us have had for weeks?
    Sure, but "if Verizon does" is assuming, you know what happens when you assume.
    05-29-09 12:01 PM
    For the sake of argument, let's assume they do and it's the same right down to the last byte of information.

I know it's off-topic, but I'm curious to what you'll say. You've already been proven wrong about RIM abandoning SurePress.
    05-29-09 12:06 PM
    For the sake of argument, let's assume they do and it's the same right down to the last byte of information.

I know it's off-topic, but I'm curious to what you'll say. You've already been proven wrong about RIM abandoning SurePress.
    Wrong on both accounts,
    if Verizon released .148, some people will have been running the released version before it was released. Big deal, what is your point?

How was I wrong about SurePress, I said that it was poorly designed and even worse execution, both are still valid.
    05-29-09 12:13 PM
    Wrong on both accounts,
    if Verizon released .148, some people will have been running the released version before it was released. Big deal, what is your point?

How was I wrong about SurePress, I said that it was poorly designed and even worse execution, both are still valid.
    So if it's no big deal that the .148 that we're currently running be the same as the .148 that Verizon release, then why are you making such a fuss about it?

If it was so bad in execution and design, then why is RIM still moving forward with its base design? "SurePress is here to stay", as they said.
    05-29-09 12:21 PM
    So if it's no big deal that the .148 that we're currently running be the same as the .148 that Verizon release, then why are you making such a fuss about it?

If it was so bad in execution and design, then why is RIM still moving forward with its base design? "SurePress is here to stay", as they said.
    He thinks hes the end all know all on surepress, but like you said its obviously a success in Rim's eyes as they are moving forward with it on another model, whether they tweak it or not. To me surepress is like everything else some like it some dont, those that dont will not get the next device with it available hopefully Rc will never get a storm model again since hes so disappointed.
    05-29-09 12:42 PM
    BUDDY YOU REALLY NEED TO CATCH UP WITH THE REST OF THE STORM COMMUNITY OR AT LEAST MOST OF US.

I AM USING THE STORM FROM THE BOLD, FROM THE 8820. I LOVE MY STORM. MY SON WENT FROM THE BOLD TO THE STORM, AND MY BROTHER WENT FROM THE 8830, TO THE PEARL TO THE STORM.

I WAS VERY FEARFUL TO UPGRADE MY OS, BUT I CAN NOW DO IT WITH MY EYES CLOSED. I AM RUNNING .148 AND AM PLEASED TO SAY THAT I AM VERY SATISFIED WITH ME DEVICE. I WAS CONSIDERING TURNING IT IN WHEN I FIRST PURCHASED IT FROM VERIZON. IT WAS RUNNING .75 I THINK...TO OLD TO REMEMBER. MY PHONE REBOOTED RANDOMLY, SCREEN WOULD FREEZE, CAMERA AND VIDEO WAS TERRIBLE, HARD TO PINPOINT A PARTICULAR AREA FOR CORRECTION IN TEXTS, EMAIL, OR IM'S. I HAVE NONE OF THOSE PROBLEMS ANYMORE, NOR DOES MY BROTHER, MY SON, OR HIS FRIEND. AS FOR PULLING UP NAMES AND SUCH...JUST TAKE SOME TIME GETTING USE TOO. SOME PEOPLE MORE THAN OTHERS.

LEAKED OS IS THE BEST THING OUT SINCE SLICED BREAD.

GO AND GET YOUR UPGRADE!!!

SLOW.

LOCKS UP.

SLOW.

DIFFICULT TO PULL UP CONTACT NAMES, NUMBERS AND DIAL A NUMBER.

SLOW.

CAMERA SLOWWW.

VIDEO SLOWWWW.

SOMETIMES, BLACKBERRY DOESN"T RECOGNIZE IT"S OWN VIDEO FORMAT!? ( ' unsupported file format ' .

MY FIRST and LAST BLACKBERRY.

THE OUTDATED PALM TREO'S NEVER CAUSED THIS MANY PROBLEMS!?
    05-29-09 12:51 PM
    It's no use even responding to rc.

Our opinions are wrong and his is right. There's no way we could possibly like a device that he doesn't we should all just go buy a terrible g1 or an ipod touch with a phone duct taped to it
    05-29-09 01:00 PM

It is bad execution and design because:

-You need to put a business card on the battery to make it click right
    -The screen gets dust under it
    -The screen wobbles
    -You can not type fast with it
    -The edges dont click very well
    -You need to "tighten the screws just right" to make it click

Need I go on?
    05-29-09 05:07 PM
    Yea you probably should

You havent had one good argument yet

You could cry about surepress some more..its pretty hilarious
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by kinggeoff; 05-29-09 at 05:26 PM.
    05-29-09 05:22 PM
    Yea you probably should

Some of us just have (quite a bit) higher standards than others and want the most out of the devices we use, which is fine. That is why we have a wide range of devices to choose from, from the Jitterbug to the iPhone.
    05-29-09 05:35 PM
    You're misinformed. Goodbye.
    05-29-09 05:50 PM
    Another good example is if Nickelback or Sum 41 comes on the radio, I instantly turn in because my musical taste is much too sophisticated for that swill.
    Domestic cars may be OK for some, but I drive a BMW M3, OK, 420 HP, one of the finest vehicles in the world, OK.
    05-29-09 06:00 PM
    SLOW.

LOCKS UP.

SLOW.

DIFFICULT TO PULL UP CONTACT NAMES, NUMBERS AND DIAL A NUMBER.

SLOW.

CAMERA SLOWWW.

VIDEO SLOWWWW.

SOMETIMES, BLACKBERRY DOESN"T RECOGNIZE IT"S OWN VIDEO FORMAT!? ( ' unsupported file format ' .

MY FIRST and LAST BLACKBERRY.

THE OUTDATED PALM TREO'S NEVER CAUSED THIS MANY PROBLEMS!?
    I have far less trouble with people at work with their storms in 3 months then I did with one day of a treo 650....that thing reset on me multiple times a day so I would backup every four hours.....

The only complaint or change is the blue glow on the buttons....why have it glow when highlighted if its under your thumb.

I went with the curve? why, because my analogy is this.
    It was a revolutionary design. Still is. It has flaws. Big deal. Even the iphone had flaws.
    Its like buying a car in its new model year. You know there are going to be kinks in it.
    Deal with it or sell it.
    Last edited by Tony Bag O Donuts; 05-29-09 at 06:37 PM.
    05-29-09 06:29 PM
    Another good example is if Nickelback or Sum 41 comes on the radio, I instantly turn in because my musical taste is much too sophisticated for that swill.
    Domestic cars may be OK for some, but I drive a BMW M3, OK, 420 HP, one of the finest vehicles in the world, OK.
    hahahaha that's actually really funny!
    05-29-09 06:32 PM
    Updating your OS to .148 will solve all of your problems, unless your problem is that you don't want to like the Storm. For me, no matter what you do to broccoli, I'll never like it. Maybe your just not a BB person. I would say that comparing the Storm to a Palm would be like comparing a rifle to a rock.

Before you give up on the phone, install the latest OS. If you still don't like it, trade it. You've got nothing to lose.

Grey
    Leaked OS don't fix the unsupported video format issue. I have first hand experience.
    05-29-09 06:34 PM
    hahahaha that's actually really funny!
    At least 1/2 of it is true.
    05-29-09 06:56 PM
    Yea you probably should

How has he not had one good argument? Every point he made in the post above yours is true. People here like to pick on RCCollins because he is an easy target (disagrees with the majority), but he knows more than 95% of the people in these forums. Maybe if others didn't follow the herd so blindly and considered some of the problems the Storm has unacceptable instead of just using quick fixes then RIM would be more inclined to fix the issues and make the Storm a better phone.
    05-29-09 07:06 PM
    Because i get bored at work and I think it's ridiculous that the storm is getting such a bad rap over many issues that plague other phones and devices. People act like they've been wronged because they bought a phone. They make claims like false advertising when the ads CLEARLY say "screen images simulated"

People cry about a class action lawsuit even though the VAST majority of storm owners have no problems with the device. People NEVER want to take responsibility for their actions, and think that it might just be how they are operating their phone.

"screen problems" "random reboots" "app store problems" "cant get this app to work"

With large userbases there will ALWAYS be people who dont have any idea what they're doing (look how many threads there are about people asking how to enable wifi on the storm) or bought the product expecting the wrong thing. That's unfortunate, but that doesnt mean that the product should be panned. Does not mean the product is junk (or jank ). Does not mean people should avoid it.

I have nothing against you "warning" other people of your experience, that they might not have to suffer the same. But when people come in here shouting from the rooftops that they hated their storm so much, they'd rather spend their day telling the rest of us why we cannot and should not be enjoying our phone, I feel compelled to offer MY point of view as I have had very few problems at all with this phone.

There are 2 sides to the coin. Experience is everything. Whenever someone is on the fence about the storm, I encourage them to try it as long as there is the opportunity to RETURN it if they do not like it. I know this phone really isn't for everyone. It has divided the masses of both BB users and touch screen phone enthusiasts.

I want people to know that this (crackberry) is not an accurate sample group by which to judge the problems the storm may be having, and that there are MANY of us who are thrilled with this phone. That's why im here

also to laugh. this place brings the lulz in no short supply
    LONG LIVE THE KING!!!!!!!!!
    05-29-09 07:33 PM
    Well, well. Looks like the assumption is turning out to be correct. .148 "official" is to be released tomorrow. So you'll finally be able to catch up to the rest of the community.

Even though .148 will solve a good amount of the software gripes you have with the Storm, I'm sure you'll find other software things to nit-pick on.
    Last edited by Zipster; 05-30-09 at 07:00 AM.
    05-30-09 06:58 AM
    Even OS 6 will not help this kid. He needs a user upgrade if he does not understand how to upgrade or use his phone lol
    05-30-09 11:16 AM
    Even OS 6 will not help this kid. He needs a user upgrade if he does not understand how to upgrade or use his phone lol
    LOL - I agree. Yes Rim could have done a better job of the release but no one that I know who has upgraded their OS on the Storm to a leaked version has complained. No problems typing, no problems locking up, no problems resetting randomly, no problems answering calls, or getting the fuzzy effect. I will say that I had the 8820 as well as the Bold and if I wanted to nit pick as I think this original thread was caused to do, I could also complain about what was not in perfect order with the 8820 / Bold.....

I will say this...my level of satisfaction before I upgraded my OS on my storm (first week of having it) 20 percent

Level of satisfaction after I upgraded 98%. What could be changed to obtain the remaining 2%??? Maybe an even faster OS that I already have on .148.

The device itself is not slow or anything...I am just striving for perfection....like the constant complainERS here.
    06-02-09 06:16 PM
    I was out with my company softball team after a game and one of my teammate's friends joined us. He had just gotten a Storm and was still running .75. Two guys on the team had iPhones so the comparisons began.

He started complaining how some of the Storms features didn't work right. Like Google Maps not picking up the GPS. I couldn't help myself to help him out. I changed the GPS option off of E911.
    Once he learned some of the things I taught him, it was like he had a new phone!

He was even more wowed that there was an OS upgrade!

06-02-09 06:28 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD