I am contemplating drilling out the little hole a little bit.
    Will this be effective or a waste of time?
    Has anyone done this before?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 09:07 PM
    WHY?
    It's not gonna do anything.
    01-07-09 09:31 PM
    For real? Why? I would vote for "waste of time".
    01-07-09 09:31 PM
    Are you saying people can't hear you when you are talking to them?
    01-07-09 09:34 PM
    You'd have better luck sending each of your friends a q-tip. :-)
    01-07-09 09:39 PM
    They say I sound muffled...
    Others have stated that people have said the same about their storms...

01-07-09 09:40 PM
    They say I sound muffled...
    Others have stated that people have said the same about their storms...

it's been fixed in the .8x builds. if youre not comfortable upgrading (and the drill a hole idea tells me you might not be), just wait it out and know its coming.
    01-07-09 09:45 PM
    A quickie search, and I found:

1. Some say that the mic might be blocked by the pinkie.
    2. Some say that the caller should move the phone slightly higher up on the head.
    3. OS .85 fixes the issue for some
    4. A replacement fixes it for others
    01-07-09 09:45 PM
    I have had this issue also and I really have no idea why. My mom has the phone and after I kept telling her to move it away from her face and move her pinky it has stopped but now my brothers phone does it all the time and he said he has it away and pinky is moved. both are on the .75 or .76 whatever version is still official and both have the silicon covers. My brother thinks that could be the problem but still not sure. I have .85 and a silicon cover and no one has said anything to me...
    01-07-09 10:01 PM
    I got a replacement for the same problem that you are having. The replacement had .75 software on it as my original phone. Replacement was much better in sound quality. People could not hear me at all on the first Storm that I had. I got tired of yelling on the phone all the time.
    01-08-09 02:16 AM
    So you want to put a drill to your storm??? If you really dislike it that much send it to me I will put it too good use...LOL
    01-08-09 03:43 AM
    I had the same problem and thought about drilling out the hole. A replacement phone fixed it for me, which I think is the better option.
    01-08-09 07:11 AM
    I have done this to Amateur Radio Communications equipment on portable units. For example, some of the Handheld (HT) type radios brag they are somewhat waterproof.... so to accomplish this they put a small membraine inside the unit over the microphone element (as well as other places such at speakers, etc). Punching a small hole in that membraine eliminates the "muffled sound" on those radios. That said... I wonder if such a membraine exists in the Storm? Perhaps someone who has had theirs apart can comment on that. If that is true, then the drilling, or punching the hole into such membraine would have the same positive effect on the Storm audio.... From my experience, just making the hole larger will have no effect on voice quality.... only thing is might accomplish is to acquire more background noise during calls.....
    01-08-09 12:49 PM
    There is something over the mic itself.
    It kinda looks like a piece of panty hose.

01-08-09 01:00 PM
    Well if the Storm has a membrane inside to protect from moisture or has any waterproof material in it, they did a poor job with the rest of it. I mean, to have anything to prevent moisture from getting near the mic, but have MASSIVE gaps around the screen is sad.

That said, I don't think it has anything like that. I've taken apart many BBs and I don't remember anything like that near the mic.
    01-08-09 01:03 PM
    The only way to fix the muffled sound is to
    1-put the phone on the ground face up
    2-put your foot gently on it
    3-apply about 1/2 your body weight to it (make sure no more than 1/2 or you could damage your phone)
    4-pick up and enjoy!

Does this sound as rediculous as drilling it?
    01-08-09 01:05 PM
    I have heard this from many of my friends and I am running .85 so I dont think it is fixed by the OS version? It seems that it is intermittant becase I can talk for awhile and then all the sudden they are asking me to hold the phone close and my position has not changed. I hang up and call back and the problem goes away so I hope someone nails this down? ...although I use my BT as much as possible and that is the easiest fix for me.
    01-08-09 01:16 PM
    This is a known manfacturer issue. Call Verizon they will send you a replacement. I had to send my original storm back due to this issue.

01-16-09 11:29 AM
    The only way to fix the muffled sound is to
    1-put the phone on the ground face up
    2-put your foot gently on it
    3-apply about 1/2 your body weight to it (make sure no more than 1/2 or you could damage your phone)
    4-pick up and enjoy!

Does this sound as rediculous as drilling it?
    just sprayed drink all over laptop screen when i saw this!
    01-16-09 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD