Ok, I have been considering upgrading from my Pearl to a Storm..maybe the Curve. I would like some feedback about the responsiveness of the Storm. I hear it is slow and when you turn it there is a delay in the switching of the screen.

Also, what how easy is it to use with one hand as it is with the trackball.

Come one honest feedback!!!
    Last edited by GargoyleDC; 02-10-09 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling
    02-10-09 09:40 AM
    Better scrolling, typing takes some getting used to but you get faster and you can update to .99 (The latest leaked OS) for a faster/better phone all around (fast screen changes)

or you can try the new Hybrid. I would but I am holding off until Sith gets rid of the VSOD
    02-10-09 09:42 AM
    definitely takes some getting used to. One-handed use is pretty easy in portrait view using suretype IMO. A tad more difficult in Landscape view. I absolutely LOVE my Storm, though. Go for it.
    02-10-09 09:44 AM
    Future Offical OS updates will fix the responsiveness of the Storm I am sure. I had mine since the beginning of December and have No problems. I love this phone to death! Go for it! And if you have the cash, fork it out for the Curve to and try it. If you dont like either one, it can always be sold on ebay for a good price :P
    02-10-09 09:53 AM
    I say go for it as well. The OS on the phone when you get it will be very stable, but also slow. You'll definately want to upgrade to a new (leaked) OS for the all round better phone. The accelerometer delay is quick and typing is easy one handed in portrait. In landscape can be difficult but only because you've got so much screen to cover. Best to just use both hands and the QWERTY keyboard when in landscape.
    02-10-09 10:00 AM
    I actually just did the same thing, upgraded from my pearl 8130 to a storm. let me tell you...the storm is by far the coolest gadget i've ever owned. there is a learning curve associated with it, but i was really comfortable with it after the first full day of playing with it. speed and efficiency with the device takes a little time, but once you get used to it, it's fantastic. Also, i noticed a vast improvement in speed when i upgraded from .75 to .99. everything on my storm is so solid and smooth now, i have no complaints.
    02-10-09 10:20 AM
    I'm sure you will love it if you get it... I am currently running .99 and everything is working great! No problems (knock on wood) lol... I heard some horror stories from people who bought the storm during launch but now most problems are worked out in the leaked OS's hopefully a new official OS will drop soon.
    02-10-09 10:24 AM
    Go for the Storm, it's a killer phone and although there are some bugs now, it will ramp up soon!
    02-10-09 11:08 AM
    I add my vote to go for it for all of the above^^^^^reasons!
    02-10-09 11:14 AM
    Go for the Storm had mine since release day and love it. Just upgraded my wife and sisters phone to the Storm and they both love as well. It takes time getting used to it ,but once you get it down you will love it.
    02-10-09 11:19 AM
    Personally, I think that if you are looking for problems you will find them.

I have a newer phone (built in mid-January), and the hardware is nearly flawless. I have no complaints with the hardware whatsoever and am under the impression that build quality and/or QC has improved a LOT since the first batch was released. If you can get a newer phone, do it.

I have very few software problems running .75- device error while using BB Messenger, occasional accelerometer lag, very rarely snowy screen or other screen glitch. My screen is VERY tight and responsive, and I almost never experience lag when typing. I can type quite fast on the Storm, BUT it is my first BB and I have never had a full QWERTY keyboard before. It's possible I could type faster on a Bold or Curve.

I will say that the Storm has a learning curve, and it should be easier for you as a previous BB user, but as a previous BB user adjusting to the Storm may also be more annoying for you, so it's a double-edged sword. My advice is to be patient. I'm in love with my Storm and loving it more every day.
    02-10-09 11:27 AM
    Go For The Storm
    02-10-09 12:08 PM
    For sure. This is my first BB and I am VERY happy with it ! Deffinetly worth the money I spent on it! Couldn't imagine my day without it at this point. Its exactly what I was looking for !
    02-10-09 01:44 PM
    For sure. This is my first BB and I am VERY happy with it ! Deffinetly worth the money I spent on it! Couldn't imagine my day without it at this point. Its exactly what I was looking for !
    /agreed 100%
    02-10-09 02:09 PM
    The Storm is my first Blackberry. I went from a Motorola Q to the Storm. I do miss the feel of the keyboard on the Q but that is is. The Storm is better in every other way. There are now many situations that I can leave the laptop at home and just bring the Storm.
    02-10-09 04:05 PM
    Lots of good advice here. I have used the Pearl for the last year and now carry both devices. (Pearl on BES & Storm on BIS since my company handicaps my Pearl functions)

When people mention the Storm running slowly just be sure you understand that means some of the screen changes when launching different icons or pressing the menu button. For example pressing the menu button on the Pearl and the response is almost instaneous. On the Storm it is slower but you don't wait seconds. I don't see that as a flaw...it may even be designed somewhat that way to allow for the difference in selecting an item and pressing. Disclaimer...I am only running .75 and other versions may be faster. Still not a problem in my mind. When i launch the browser icon the Storm opens up at least as fast as the Pearl. The browser speed itself is MUCH better than the Pearl.

Regarding one handed use it is just different. The Pearl trackball is fast and the Storm touch screen you have to reach a little sometimes. If I was only doing e-mail with no browsing I might have considered the Curve but the Storm can just do more things well.

It is somewhat more direct to dial a phone number on the Pearl but still no big deal difference and I usually use voice dial or speed dial anyway.

Even though I have enjoyed the Pearl the keyboard seems to cramped after using the Storm Suretype portrait keyboard. It is also nice to be able to switch to full qwerty landscape mode for some uses. I can type faster on the Storm.

Anything else the Storm wins hands down. The screen size makes all the difference in the world on other functions. You just have to get used to the differences for awhile. It will surely continue to get better as well. Most people will really like it.
    02-10-09 04:18 PM
    Future Offical OS updates will fix the responsiveness of the Storm I am sure. I had mine since the beginning of December and have No problems. I love this phone to death! Go for it! And if you have the cash, fork it out for the Curve to and try it. If you dont like either one, it can always be sold on ebay for a good price :P
    This is the response I received from Verizon regarding updates. I won't hold my hand on my azz

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are happy to assist you with your question with regards to future OS upgrades for the BlackBerry Storm. (I bet their happy)

We apologize that we were not able to respond to your email in the allotted time frame of 24 hours. We are experiencing higher than normal email volume at this time. However, resolving your concern is our number one priority and we are happy to address your concerns. (Yup, sure)

We regret that your BlackBerry is not performing as expected. We would like to assure you that we are committed to providing the very latest in products and services. For that reason, we rigorously test our products prior to launching them in an effort ensure they meet our standards of excellence. Doing so allows us to confidently address information regarding products or services that we currently offer. Disclosing any unconfirmed information that may be subject to change could raise expectations that may not be met. At this time, we are unable to state when additional OS upgrades will become available for BlackBerry Storm users as no information has been given. We understand and sincerely apologize for any frustration and would like to encourage you to sign up for email updates so you can receive information regarding our new products and services. (They rigorously tested it? No, they rushed it out before Xmas w/out rigorously testing it)

02-10-09 04:21 PM
    If you feel so inclined you can wait until March 31 when RIM projects their next official OS update will be pushed to the phones. The Application Store (Storefront, App Center, whatever it is called), will be pushed sometime in March as well (I have a hunch that they are both going to be pushed concurrently).

March 31 seems like a long time to wait...or you can just get the phone now, as it's in pretty good condition I think. The .75 firmware seems very stable, and since most people have nothing to compare it to, they have no idea if it's slow or not. The rest of us who have gone through scores of leaked upgrades know that there are much faster OS out there if you are willing to take a chance and upgrade.

A word of advice: never contact Verizon to get information about Blackberry Storm updates. In fact, stay away from Verizon altogether, since their service reps and techs don't know their butts from their faces.
    02-10-09 05:05 PM
    OK all THANK YOU for your advise...I succumbed to peer pressure and my gadget geekness and bought it today. Love it so far, I am going to search for the OS upgrade tonight!!!
    02-10-09 06:41 PM
    Loaded the .99 OS and the speed did increase and no other problems so far. Great!!!
    02-11-09 06:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD