The pre is bombing.... Not even matching the sales of the iphone at this same time during its release.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    you could substitute the Storm for the Pre in that statement as well.......

What exactly is your point? : )
    06-12-09 03:32 PM
    They better get to adding WiFi to the Storm, just another example of how far behind RIM is though, there is already a ton of cool SIP stuff for the iPhone.
    That is such an old selling point that it is getting. . . . .old. I can think of many other features that are far more important than wifi. Wifi will be almost obsolete within a year anyway according to some tech heads. I mean seriously anyone here see a giant leap in speeds between 3G and straight wifi? I don't and that would include the feature on other devices. Are we going to continue the subject when we move to 4G devices? The subject of cell phone speed reminds of me of that Conan O'brien segment with Loius CK.

"Give it a second, it's calling space!"

Does everything have to be right now??!! Your on a mobile network, not a connected network. Infact a mobile network that is in it's infantcy with today's, not tomorrow's technology.
    06-12-09 03:32 PM
    In his response he was implying that because his Storm didn't have those problems then the OP must have been doing something wrong.
    Oh so, like thats not even possible? There is such a thing as "bogus" device, and even hardware issues. My opinion yes, but no offense, your reply needs . . . more.
    06-12-09 03:37 PM
    its funny cause the features of the storm actually are better than the iphone..

if you look at the Iphone 3G comparision chart to the iphone 3GS its really funny.

"the iphone 3GS has new features like landscape mode and a video camera" lol

sure the storm could use wifi, a better app store ( in comparison to apples app store) and other things.. but once our phone gets a solid super fast operating system, people will realize it actually is better.

btw iphone 3GS has a 3 MP camera... la-di-da we have 3.2
    And yet the 2.0 regular 3g iphone looks way better than the storm camera.
    06-12-09 03:58 PM
    Times i had to replace my iphone 0
    Times i had to replace my Storm 3
    Times I had to upgade the OS for iphone 1(and it work good prior to it)
    Times i had to upgrade the OS on my Storm 6x ( and it still works like crap)
    06-12-09 04:01 PM
    That iphone is that far ahead of the storm? I want a picture. MMS me a photo of it doing all these highly advanced features please.

Oops. You will have to have a cell phone that can do that. The iphone can't. How embarrassing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No problem, what is your email address?

To show you how far behind your storm is, I want you to connect to my site through a VPN, then configure your SIP client to connect to our Call manager.

Oops, how embarrassing.
    06-12-09 04:06 PM
    They better get to adding WiFi to the Storm, just another example of how far behind RIM is though, there is already a ton of cool SIP stuff for the iPhone.

the storm 2 will have wifi but i don't really see why people will want it that much just like the new iphone yeah wow it has a few new things but 4g is almost out which from what i read its going to make wifi look like 6 years ago dial up does anyone still use it? no, but also will you still want wifi on your phone when wimax becomes the new standard of course not. im sorry but im still with the mind set of japan. nobody cares if your phone is easy to use they care about how much it can do for like a swiss army phone.
    the ipod is not this thats why the japanese culture does not accept the iphone. they also consider the easier it is to use the dumber the person must be i believe the same with all phones. the storm does have alot of things the iphone should have came with and the pre... well its sad no camera? psh. again i have a storm because i use it for work i love the big screen and typing emails doesn't bother me, i gave my old iphone to my litter sister because it is pretty much a toy. i might switch to a storm 2 or 3 when it comes out but untill then i don't really care.

oh and lets see people are on their 3rd 4th and 5th storms? nobody talks about the iphone when it comes to these matters because its wow its not working well you send it in to get fixed or take it to a genius bar you don't get your original phone back its different "ITS NOT THE SAME PHONE" so you might be on your 10th 12th iphone without knowing it my little sister is on her 15th iphone not because she cracks the screen or jailbroke it but because she is simple minded and any glitch that happens she will want a new one like the rest of the population. the iphone is not a great phone the iphones just simple for simple people.
    06-12-09 04:10 PM
    the trolls are gettin trolled hahahaha that's awesome!
    06-12-09 04:19 PM
    Hands down, Blackberry Storm! Typing? Hands down, iphone...

Over all experience? NICER? iphone... more useful? Blackberry storm.
    06-12-09 04:21 PM
    I answering your comment about RIM, not just the Storm. You said RIM was going down, but it looks like you were wrong again.

I've read lots of articles on MVS for BlackBerry and Cisco, but all I can find for VoIP for the iPhone are small "coming soon" apps, not a whole dedicated infrastructure like RIM has designed.

And I stand corrected, apparently MVS is up and running already! And with minimal impact to companies that currently have BES.

"Fayetteville State University (FSU) in North Carolina experienced the power of RIM's Mobile Voice System (MVS) when a key storage-area network suffered a catastrophic failure, says Joseph Vittorelli, the university's director of systems and infrastructure. Within minutes, he connected to every staff member he needed -- regardless of where they were -- via the conference feature, made assignments and got the team working together on very short notice."

Here are some more interesting reads!

BlackBerry users tie into PBX for unified communications - Network World

RIM Exec on Why BlackBerry Mobile Voice System (MVS) Is the Future of Enterprise Unified Communications - CIO.com - Business Technology Leadership

No problem, what is your email address?

To show you how far behind your storm is, I want you to connect to my site through a VPN, then configure your SIP client to connect to our Call manager.

Oops, how embarrassing.
    Turns out MVS works on any BlackBerry OS 4.5 and higher, so the Storm can use the MVS client to get VoIP calls! Yet another thing the Storm can do! How embarrassing indeed...
    Last edited by Zipster; 06-12-09 at 04:36 PM.
    06-12-09 04:27 PM
    Just like the precious little Storm couldn't handle turn by turn GPS routing without 3rd party support. The iPhone always had the ability to send MMS, it just wasn't supported through the software. This was more of an carrier issue then an Apple one. AT&Ts network wasn't and still isn't ready to handle the influx of data with 40 million+ people sending images on their network. Jailbroke iPhones have been sending MMS and recording Video since the dev_team unlocked the OS.

How about you try and load a webpage with Javascript activated and accomplish it in under 5 minutes, or better yet not have the BB browser hang on you. Or like any jailbroken iPhone/Touch user, view a page with Flash video. I stream real movies and shows to my iPod Touch.. how are the media capabilities of the Storm these days? Exactly.

The Curve for a "brief" moment was the #1 selling smartphone when Verizon was offering a Buy One Get One Free deal. Yea, that's right. To compete .. they had to give the BlackBerry away. That little feat only lasted about a week. How much does an old 8330 go for these days? $49?

Take a moment to ponder this article about web traffic and individual mobile OS use today: iPhone Makes Up 50 Percent of Smartphone Web Traffic In U.S., Android Already 5 Percent

Who's on top? Who's not even coming close? Who's listed in the red? Whats that ... the Storm accounts for 1.7% of smart phone traffic on the web? The *gasp* iPhone is listed at 49.5%??? That can't be ... but but .. the BlackBerry is so much better. That was in March of this year. As of June those numbers have shifted even further apart, the iPhone is approaching 70% while the Storm has fallen almost to a single % point. Sure makes me want to buy a Storm. Take note of not only US traffic, but world wide usage as Apple has even taken a huge chunk out of Nokia.

Now from a business standpoint --- Techies the world around love the iPhone. They don't even consider the Storm a smartphone. It doesn't even come up in touchscreen comparison tests. There's a myth that the iPhone isn't used in the business world and that it's only for kids and that BlackBerry's are for adults, blah blah. Take a moment to read this article: iPhone Owners Don’t Use Their Devices For Work? Yeah, Right.

Also take a minute and head over to JD P&A and read what they have to say about the iPhone and the awards its received as a business device. To quote "a recent study by JD Power and Associates which ranked iPhone highest in customer satisfaction, not for everyday consumers (those the device was initially targeted at, I might add), but for �business wireless smartphone users.�

When you actually have some real world statistics to back up your claim about how great the Storm is then please feel free to post. Until then please go back to your click-screen pager.
    06-12-09 04:47 PM
    I answering your comment about RIM, not just the Storm. You said RIM was going down, but it looks like you were wrong again.

I've read lots of articles on MVS for BlackBerry and Cisco, but all I can find for VoIP for the iPhone are small "coming soon" apps, not a whole dedicated infrastructure like RIM has designed.

And I stand corrected, apparently MVS is up and running already! And with minimal impact to companies that currently have BES.

"Fayetteville State University (FSU) in North Carolina experienced the power of RIM's Mobile Voice System (MVS) when a key storage-area network suffered a catastrophic failure, says Joseph Vittorelli, the university's director of systems and infrastructure. Within minutes, he connected to every staff member he needed -- regardless of where they were -- via the conference feature, made assignments and got the team working together on very short notice."

Here are some more interesting reads!

BlackBerry users tie into PBX for unified communications - Network World

RIM Exec on Why BlackBerry Mobile Voice System (MVS) Is the Future of Enterprise Unified Communications - CIO.com - Business Technology Leadership

Turns out MVS works on any BlackBerry OS 4.5 and higher, so the Storm can use the MVS client to get VoIP calls! Yet another thing the Storm can do! How embarrassing indeed...

Wow lots of misinformation in this response.

-There are several iPhone SIP clients currently available.
    -SIP is not possible using BES WLAN technology, the iPhones VPN client works great
    -Typically you would do SIP over Wifi that the Storm also lacks

So yes, the Storm and RIM are miles behind.
    06-12-09 04:49 PM
    Wow lots of misinformation in this response.

-There are several iPhone SIP clients currently available.
    -SIP is not possible using BES WLAN technology, the iPhones VPN client works great
    -Typically you would do SIP over Wifi that the Storm also lacks

So yes, the Storm and RIM are miles behind.
    So tell me, how does MVS not give the same capabilities as SIP? As far as I can tell, MVS is meant to run on BES seamlessly. Dell's got plans to have Live Meeting, IM, e-mail, VoIP, and video conferencing tie into MVS so any employee with a BlackBerry and MVS can function as if he's at his desk, but anywhere in the world.

BlackBerry - MVS Benefits

Looks like RIM's found a way to side-step your SIP and VPN! If my company decides to implement MVS, then all I need is the MVS client software on my Storm and I'm all set!

I wonder what the IT of a business will do... Scrap all of their BES and BlackBerries at a tremendous cost? Or just add many times more features to their already robust BES infrastructure at a fraction of the replacement cost.
    Last edited by Zipster; 06-12-09 at 05:01 PM.
    06-12-09 04:57 PM
    So tell me, how does MVS not give the same capabilities as SIP? As far as I can tell, MVS is meant to run on BES seamlessly.

BlackBerry - MVS Benefits

Looks like RIM's found a way to side-step your SIP and VPN!

I wonder what the IT of a business will do... Scrap all of their BES and BlackBerries at a tremendous cost? Or just add many times more features to their already robust BES infrastructure at a fraction of the replacement cost.
    To dumb it down quite a bit, SIP is an open/industry standard, even though it is not quite baked yet. Going back to the Novell example, no one wants to use RIM's (or Novell's) proprietary garbage, MVS has not been embraced and never will be and can be used for basically nothing. Need proof, the other link you posted using the Cisco Call manager uses, guess what SIP!!!!
    06-12-09 05:05 PM
    To dumb it down quite a bit, SIP is an open/industry standard, even though it is not quite baked yet. Going back to the Novell example, no one wants to use RIM's (or Novell's) proprietary garbage, MVS has not been embraced and never will be and can be used for basically nothing. Need proof, the other link you posted using the Cisco Call manager uses, guess what SIP!!!!
    Like I said, MVS can be used on a company's existing BES and PBX. There is no infrastructure to change if a company decides to use it. And once in place, the company can do routine upgrades to their systems with little to no impact to MVS. The MVS architecture also allows phones other than BlackBerries to be used, so in essence, a company with MVS can theoretically have iPhones on the system too. Provided there's a compatible app, of course.

As I've shown, Dell and Fayetteville State University have been using MVS to great success.

And if MVS does already use SIP in its architecture, then doesn't that negate the advantage you keep raving about? RIM does have BlackBerries with WiFi, so I don't know why you keep bringing up that point.
    Last edited by Zipster; 06-12-09 at 05:23 PM.
    06-12-09 05:17 PM
    And if MVS does already use SIP in its architecture, then doesn't that negate the advantage you keep raving about? RIM does have BlackBerries with WiFi, so I don't know why you keep bringing up that point.
    Sounds like MVS is a lot like WINS, a hijacked bastardized protocol, from the article:

" In addition, it's all done without the need for decisions about, or investments in such things as Session Initiation Protocol phones or infrastructure."

WINS rocks, everyone still uses it!!

Do you think RIM just hands out MVS free of charge? And back to my original point, it is proprietary garbage, those articles are a year old, the industry has moved on.
    06-12-09 05:37 PM
    Sounds like MVS is a lot like WINS, a hijacked bastardized protocol, from the article:

" In addition, it's all done without the need for decisions about, or investments in such things as Session Initiation Protocol phones or infrastructure."

Do you think RIM just hands out MVS free of charge? And back to my original point, it is proprietary garbage, those articles are a year old, the industry has moved on.
    He's right about that Zip
    06-12-09 05:41 PM

I never said RIM hands out MVS free. Since most large companies already have BES, it's less cost to add MVS than it is to tear down and rebuild with all iPhones. Do you think any company that writes a SIP app for the iPhone is going to give it to a business for free either? That company's going to want some form of compensation for the use of their proprietary software.

Seems like Sprint's on-board: Sprint Nextel to launch BlackBerry MVS - Mobility : News

True those articles are a year old, but they tell the gist of what it is. All I'm getting at is that RIM continues to find ways to innovate and add to their system.

Plenty of things in the business world is proprietary. What kind of computer do you have on your desk? Maybe a Dell? Open it up and see how many of the critical components you can replace.
    Last edited by Zipster; 06-12-09 at 06:02 PM.
    06-12-09 05:58 PM
    Damn right!!
    06-12-09 06:01 PM
    Zip, you posted an article from May of 2009. You can't expect that to be the most updated information
    06-12-09 06:02 PM
    Oops, I wonder how the iPhone 3GS is selling?

In terms of technology, RIM is now behind, market share shrinking, people are tired of paying for BES to get the same features as the other smart phones on the market, and the Blackberry browser, LOL what a joke.
    Yeah ok genius if you would read a little you would see that theres already a pretty uniform opinion that all 3G users are gonna stay home come launch day cause the 3gS isnt even worth the $500-$700 pricetag that all loyal 3G customers will receive come check out time. haha 3gs is a joke. and wonder all you want but be prepared to be dissappointed.
    06-12-09 06:03 PM
    Zip, you posted an article from May of 2009. You can't expect that to be the most updated information
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

But if a month is completely outdated for you...

Yeah ok genius if you would read a little you would see that theres already a pretty uniform opinion that all 3G users are gonna stay home come launch day cause the 3gS isnt even worth the $500-$700 pricetag that all loyal 3G customers will receive come check out time. haha 3gs is a joke. and wonder all you want but be prepared to be dissappointed.
    No offense, but I'm not going to touch this one. RC, he's all yours.
    06-12-09 06:04 PM
    What the **** are you talking about? I am a Storm user, I am stuck with Verizon.
    06-12-09 06:06 PM
    Just like the precious little Storm couldn't handle turn by turn GPS routing without 3rd party support. The iPhone always had the ability to send MMS, it just wasn't supported through the software. This was more of an carrier issue then an Apple one. AT&Ts network wasn't and still isn't ready to handle the influx of data with 40 million+ people sending images on their network. Jailbroke iPhones have been sending MMS and recording Video since the dev_team unlocked the OS.

How about you try and load a webpage with Javascript activated and accomplish it in under 5 minutes, or better yet not have the BB browser hang on you. Or like any jailbroken iPhone/Touch user, view a page with Flash video. I stream real movies and shows to my iPod Touch.. how are the media capabilities of the Storm these days? Exactly.

The Curve for a "brief" moment was the #1 selling smartphone when Verizon was offering a Buy One Get One Free deal. Yea, that's right. To compete .. they had to give the BlackBerry away. That little feat only lasted about a week. How much does an old 8330 go for these days? $49?

Who's on top? Who's not even coming close? Who's listed in the red? Whats that ... the Storm accounts for 1.7% of smart phone traffic on the web? The *gasp* iPhone is listed at 49.5%??? That can't be ... but but .. the BlackBerry is so much better. That was in March of this year. As of June those numbers have shifted even further apart, the iPhone is approaching 70% while the Storm has fallen almost to a single % point. Sure makes me want to buy a Storm. Take note of not only US traffic, but world wide usage as Apple has even taken a huge chunk out of Nokia.

Now from a business standpoint --- Techies the world around love the iPhone. They don't even consider the Storm a smartphone. It doesn't even come up in touchscreen comparison tests. There's a myth that the iPhone isn't used in the business world and that it's only for kids and that BlackBerry's are for adults, blah blah.

Also take a minute and head over to JD P&A and read what they have to say about the iPhone and the awards its received as a business device. To quote "a recent study by JD Power and Associates which ranked iPhone highest in customer satisfaction, not for everyday consumers (those the device was initially targeted at, I might add), but for �business wireless smartphone users.�

When you actually have some real world statistics to back up your claim about how great the Storm is then please feel free to post. Until then please go back to your click-screen pager.
    youve been anti blackberry and pro iPhone on every post ive ever read from you. what the **** are you still doin here? this is Crackberry, a BLACKBERRY site, go to the iphone blog cause im pretty sure no one wants you here.
    06-12-09 06:09 PM
    I love how everything these days is ugly unless its white, shiny, or has an apple logo plastered on every corner of it.
    06-12-09 06:12 PM
145 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD