I think they are equally "ok" devices, both have major issues that may ultimatley never be resolved, but welcome to the smartphone world. I am waiting to see "if" the iPhone comes to Verizon. If it does, I would consider it for my personal phone/entertainment device. But I would never consider using an iPhone for business until Apple makes it into a business phone and it seems that they do not have any plans on doing that, for now at least. And maybe Apple wants to keep it that way.
    06-11-09 05:06 PM
    It all comes to apps. Let's see who can attract more and better developers.
    How about we leave the apps out of it and just stick to the basic principles of what each device can do out of the box. Isn't that whats most important above all else?
    06-11-09 06:09 PM
    I am a die-hard blackberry fan, but I am sorry the Iphone is just too good. Usually Apples argument over PC's in the computer market is that "Oh they are easier to use" even though they pack less of a punch, but in the phone market, the easier it is to use, the better, and the Apple is probably 900% easier to use than the Storm. It also is a lot better at the essential combo phone functions.

Please hear me out, my brother has a storm, who got me to get one, and I got my boss to get one. My boss runs stock O.S., I run a 5.0/.148 hybrid, my brother, some old version I think .120 something maybe. Anyways, it doesn't matter how many updates they put out we all have the same basic problems.

1. The broswer isn't as fast as the iphone at rendering. I have taken an Iphone on google and a blackberry on google (which probably loads the fastest out of any website) and did the same search, clicked on the same link, and the storm was probably 10-15 seconds behind. Maybe the network is faster but the final product isn't faster, so seemingly making the Iphone better. Point goes to Iphone.

2. Answering calls/Making calls is a hassle on the Storm. It lags, takes forever to load up the keypad, takes forever to go to the answering screen, takes forever to turn from landscape to portrait. Plain and simple.Some might say memory leak or I need to refresh the application memory, well guess what, You don't need to pull the battery to make your Iphone run faster (insert "omg iphone batteries arent detachable and die after 3 months" rant here).Point Iphone

3. Photos suck on the Storm. Yes the Storm might have a 3.2 MP camera, but half the time the damn thing doesn't work right. Lots of people have issues with it, even after an OS upgrade, lets say you have a perfectly working camera. Sometimes the autofocus and lightning acts up so you get too dark of a picture or too blurry, so you have to take a few to get it right.
    Then scrolling through the library? Slow. Iphone you can flick your finger and it flys through. Storm goes one, by one, by one (oh look it froze up a second), by one. Itunes > Storm Media too. Point Iphone.

4. Email! Yay storm is better at email! Finally something this phone does better right? Wrong. Hello 3GS Iphone and Push email from AT&T. You get your emails instantly just like a blackberry.

Anyways, I enjoy the storm, but not as much as the Iphone and it drives me insane to see people here who try to say the Storm functions better than the Iphone at the present state. It doesn't matter how many OS updates the 2G iphone took to finally work right, I am talking about right here and right now, the Iphone definitely works flawlessly and the Storm still has a lot of work to do.

The nicest thing I could say right now is, nice try RIM. I still have faith for the Storm 2, and eventually Verizon's ITS towers and global coverage will make AT&T's GSM obsolete, but until that happens, if you think this phone will substitute for an Iphone, don't. Just get an Iphone if you can. If you can't, this is definitely the best verizon phone.
    06-11-09 07:16 PM
    1. storm was probably 10-15 seconds behind. Maybe the network is faster but the final product isn't faster, so seemingly making the Iphone better. Point goes to Iphone.
    Is a 10-15 second delay really that horrible, a deal breaker? I know the iPhone's browser is better, but since I don't do a lot of web surfing this isn't much of a concern. I still don't see the need for wifi on a 3G network. When I had my Treo w/wifi and compared it my Storm, I didn't really see that much of a difference in speed to save face.

2. Answering calls/Making calls is a hassle on the Storm. It lags, takes forever to load up the keypad, takes forever to go to the answering screen, takes forever to turn from landscape to portrait. Plain and simple.Some might say memory leak or I need to refresh the application memory, well guess what, You don't need to pull the battery to make your Iphone run faster (insert "omg iphone batteries arent detachable and die after 3 months" rant here).Point Iphone.
    Answering screen? You just hit the call button. Pulling your battery dosen't make the Storm faster, you must have something else going on. I don't understand what you mean by lagging or a long wait for the keypad. I would rather lag and be able to answer a call rather than have dropped calls or no calls at all.

3. Photos suck on the Storm. Yes the Storm might have a 3.2 MP camera, but half the time the damn thing doesn't work right. Lots of people have issues with it,.
    I agree with some of this. But I use the camera a lot in my job. It has failed a few times, but for the most part, the Storm has the best camera I have ever used on a cell phone, and I have used a majority of them. I saw the most improvement with it on 141 (which I'm still running), but lastly and probably the most important, the camera has more options than most devices on the market.

4. Email! Yay storm is better at email! Finally something this phone does better right? Wrong. Hello 3GS Iphone and Push email from AT&T. You get your emails instantly just like a blackberry.
    So how does that makes it better or the same? The iPhone is not compatible with many email servers currently in use in the corporate market, so that alone puts BB ahead of Apple. Which is one of the number one gripes of iPhone users.

Anyways, I enjoy the storm, but not as much as the Iphone and it drives me insane to see people here who try to say the Storm functions better than the Iphone at the present state. It doesn't matter how many OS updates the 2G iphone took to finally work right, I am talking about right here and right now, the Iphone definitely works flawlessly and the Storm still has a lot of work to do.

The nicest thing I could say right now is, nice try RIM. I still have faith for the Storm 2, and eventually Verizon's ITS towers and global coverage will make AT&T's GSM obsolete, but until that happens, if you think this phone will substitute for an Iphone, don't. Just get an Iphone if you can. If you can't, this is definitely the best verizon phone.
    I am using the Curve for now. I do like it alot. I just did not care for filling out long winded reports in the field on the Storm's keyboard. However, viewing our company docs and editing on the Curve is a pain although the use of the keyboard in some ways makes up for it. I do miss the Storm and I am thinking about going back to it next week. I am waiting to see if the iPhone comes to Verizon so that I can purchae it for personal use. Never thought that I would want an iPhone, but for personal non-business device it may suit my needs, that is if the Storm 2 offeres what I want.
    06-12-09 07:44 AM
    I am a die-hard blackberry fan, but I am sorry the Iphone is just too good.
    /snip

These issues may be present on your storm. Not mine.
    My gf has an iphone and I conducted the google test after reading your claim. There was about 1 second of difference in her favor on most searches.

Somehow I talked myself out of slitting my wrists.

I do not have camera freeze ups since .113 (on .148 now). I love the multi tasking of my storm.
    My battery outlasts hers and I use my storm more than she does her iphone (!). None of the other issues you enumerated are present on my storm for that matter.

The storm is better. Sorry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-09 08:13 AM
    /snip

These issues may be present on your storm. Not mine.
    My gf has an iphone and I conducted the google test after reading your claim. There was about 1 second of difference in her favor on most searches.

Somehow I talked myself out of slitting my wrists.

I do not have camera freeze ups since .113 (on .148 now). I love the multi tasking of my storm.
    My battery outlasts hers and I use my storm more than she does her iphone (!). None of the other issues you enumerated are present on my storm for that matter.

The storm is better. Sorry.

What's amusing is that because your Storm doesn't have any problems then you assume all Storm's are problem free. It is a known fact that the build quality of the Storm is sketchy at best. It was manufactured in multiple locations with different ISO standards. It's why some people have problems with their screen, some people have problems with their backlight, some people have problems with their battery, camera, case housing, etc. There are a number of basic hardware problems present in a large percentage of Storms out there. It's why we have a number of threads titled "On my 3rd/4th/5th Storm, how about you?". This is simple quality control ... that was absent from the production of the Storm. It's a POS phone that should have been delayed at least a year so that RIM could have gotten it right the first time. Software glitches aside the phone doesn't even begin to compare to the build quality of the iPhone. It's not even in the same league. Not even close.

The OS for the Storm was not an OS designed for a touch screen. It was port from the Bold with touch-screen support. If RIM had actually taken the time to design a product that met certain ISO standards and had actually bothered to design an OS meant for a touch screen phone then perhaps you would have not only a valid argument for saying the Storm is better, but you might even have a phone that was worth using on a daily basis. As it stands now, the Storm is a sorry excuse for a phone, much less a smartphone. It's why the price has dropped to $128.99 and comes with a BOGO offer. It's also why in less then 8 months RIM has come forward with the Storm 2. If you're serious about using a BB as a business device, then you would be using a Bold or a Curve 8900. The Storm can't even begin to compare to those two devices, much less any other touch screen device on the market.

Ask yourself why a number of Apps out there don't support the click interface, why a number of Apps from the App World don't work on your Storm and why we have these stupid conversations on a daily basis. It's because developers don't support the Storm unless they happen to be an end user. Most Apps available for BB devices are not even designed with support/options for the Storm. Nobody want's to waste their time developing for a failed device. Fairly sure though.. you can find Apps designed for the iPhone. In fact.. you can find 35,000+. Sorry the Storm was a failure since launch. Build quality, software compatibility, RIM support, Build quality, OS design, Build quality ... all giant failures on RIMs part. They should focus on doing what they do best; adding keyboard's to pagers and let the real innovated smart phone developers get on with doing what they do best.
    06-12-09 10:08 AM
    I agree the storm is better. Better at crashing. Better at loosing memory. Better at breaking. Way better paperweight. Great at wasting time. Better at looking retro. LOL

I am liking my storm better than I did but it is no where near the same league as the iphone in the consumer market. In the business world it is better but that is the only place.
    Haha yeah. The "only" place, because it really IS a very small insignificant minority.

It's not like you could easily switch that sentence around:
    I am liking the iphone better than I did but it is no where near the same league as the storm in the business market. In the consumer world it is better but that is the only place.

Yeah. YSWIDT.
    06-12-09 10:14 AM
    What's amusing is that because your Storm doesn't have any problems then you assume all Storm's are problem free.
    +1 for pointing out the obvious. -1 for not acknowledging that he wasn't referring to all Storms, only his. Even his opinion that the Storm is better.

Why are some apps not "click" responsive or compatible? Many apps state they are not, and with any apps a user should research and download at their own risk. And to go further, many apps on the iPhone don't work either. But don't take my word for it, look it up.

let the real innovated smart phone developers get on with doing what they do best.
    And wouldn't it be awesome if these "developers" would actual create such a device? For now we are stuck with the big three and depending on who you talk to, they leave a lot to be desired. Why? Because no one will ever be able create such a device that satisfies everyone.
    Last edited by jbdale; 06-12-09 at 10:35 AM.
    06-12-09 10:26 AM
    +1 for pointing out the obvious. -1 for not acknowledging that he wasn't referring to all Storms, only his. Even his opinion that the Storm is better.

Why are some apps not "click" responsive or compatible? Many apps state they are not, and with any apps a user should research and download at their own risk. And to go further, many apps on the iPhone don't work either. But don't take my word for it, look it up.
    In his response he was implying that because his Storm didn't have those problems then the OP must have been doing something wrong. Inferred is Inferred. Saying that many apps on the iPhone don't work either is a bit misleading when the obvious point was that there are thousands of developers specifically for the iPhone, whereas there are maybe less then 30 for the Storm. You could spend just an hour on the iPhone App Store and browse the top 25 apps in each category and likely 99% of them will work as advertised. You could spend the same amount of time just finding an App that works on your Storm; whether or not it does anything useful. An app doesn't even need to be "click" responsive on the Storm to make it compatible, a lot of them wont let you even perform the basic functions to make the apps run.

What you have to remember is that not everyone who uses these devices is a power user. Only a very small percentage of people who own Storms or iPhones know how to look online for solutions to their various problems. Crackberry may boast a million members, but ... that's nothing to the 40 million iPhones and millions of BB devices that have been sold. A user that purchased a Storm may not know they have to do in-depth research before purchasing an app from the App World on their BlackBerry because RIM doesn't give any thought to providing a compatibility section so they would know for sure if their device is supported.

These devices should 'just work' out of the box upon purchase. You shouldn't have to load leaked OS software/hacked OS revisions to get the stability you desire out of your device. You shouldn't have to spend hours reading forums, and help-sites to discover why your shiny new phone isn't working as advertised. Most people don't have time for this crap and they need their device to just work. I call those people "BB Bold/Curve" users.
    Last edited by Jeli; 06-12-09 at 10:43 AM.
    06-12-09 10:41 AM
    Yep. Sure is.

God how I love you trolls.
    06-12-09 10:42 AM
    I would not get an iphone just because of at&t coverage not to mention i love my curve.
    06-12-09 10:47 AM
    If the iPhone is a Cheetah the Storm is a 3 legged sloth on Zanax.

06-12-09 11:48 AM
    What's amusing is that because your Storm doesn't have any problems then you assume all Storm's are problem free.
    Not as amusing as you thinking because a vocal minority come into this forum complaining about their storms having problems you conclude that. most if not all storms have problems.

it is a known fact that the build quality of the Storm is sketchy at best.
    It is not a known fact. It is an erroneous opinion you are asserting.

The storm is better than the iphone.

06-12-09 12:05 PM
    Oh here's a funny fact everyone lined up for the first iphone fast forward one month later, haha what's this a bigger cheaper iphone insert old iphone in rectum here.
    Rim is better because it has things the iphone will never have because its a toy rim already has the government backing it up it have celebritys political leaders and most of all its known as the leading and most useful tool for small and big companies.
    Why do you think iphone users are always in crackberry fourms? Because this is where it is all at people with iphones are too busy smelling their own farts to know the difference from a toy and a actual tool for grownups. Go back to your own forms trolls.
    Last edited by agentsil; 06-12-09 at 01:00 PM.
    06-12-09 12:57 PM
    agentsil have you not noticed that the Storm is rarely, if ever, used in comparisons with other touchscreens except in here?

The tech world, for the most part, does not even acknowledge the Storm.

There is a reason for that you know : )

06-12-09 01:23 PM
    Rim is better because it has things the iphone will never have because its a toy rim already has the government backing it up it have celebritys political leaders and most of all its known as the leading and most useful tool for small and big companies.
    Do you think that the fact that more business use Blackberries has anything to do with the fact that they were the only game in town for years? I have said it before, RIM is the next Novell, now that the competition has passed RIM like they were in reverse.
    06-12-09 01:34 PM
    RIM is the next Novell, now that the competition has passed RIM like they were in reverse.
    The #1 selling cell phone is a RIM product.

Oops....

06-12-09 01:42 PM
    The #1 selling cell phone is a RIM product.

Oops....

Oops, I wonder how the iPhone 3GS is selling?

In terms of technology, RIM is now behind, market share shrinking, people are tired of paying for BES to get the same features as the other smart phones on the market, and the Blackberry browser, LOL what a joke.
    06-12-09 02:00 PM
    The Storm comes nowhere close to the iPhone OR the Pre. Both of those devices are leaps and bounds ahead of the Storm in almost every aspect. .

06-12-09 02:37 PM

In terms of technology, RIM is now behind, market share shrinking, people are tired of paying for BES to get the same features as the other smart phones on the market, and the Blackberry browser, LOL what a joke.
    RIM's blackberry curve is outselling it and every other cell phone in the U.S. and internationally. Google it.

Oops. Being wrong is okay; you are human. Standing by the iphone, though, the experience may be a little tiresome.

Just trying to help you out kid.

06-12-09 02:52 PM
    The Storm comes nowhere close to the iPhone OR the Pre. Both of those devices are leaps and bounds ahead of the Storm in almost every aspect. .

The pre is bombing.... Not even matching the sales of the iphone at this same time during its release.

And the curve out did them both.

Share your crying towel please.

06-12-09 02:54 PM

Did you hear abour RIM's partnership with Cisco's Unified Communications system? All office communications routed to a single device in the hands of the employee. One phone number, one voicemail, one e-mail. Best part is that it launches this year.

RIM, Cisco Optimize BlackBerry for Unified Communications
    06-12-09 02:58 PM
    Did you hear abour RIM's partnership with Cisco's Unified Communications system? All office communications routed to a single device in the hands of the employee. One phone number, one voicemail, one e-mail. Best part is that it launches this year.

RIM, Cisco Optimize BlackBerry for Unified Communications

They better get to adding WiFi to the Storm, just another example of how far behind RIM is though, there is already a ton of cool SIP stuff for the iPhone.
    06-12-09 03:04 PM
    The storm gave Rim a black eye, but lesson learned I hope for Rim. Even though I am a Blackberry lover, The Iphone is a much better phone compared to blackberrys. I gotta give apple credit, they have a very good phone, but hopfully Rim can step it back up, I'm hoping the BB Tour that comes out next month will do just that.
    06-12-09 03:15 PM
    They better get to adding WiFi to the Storm, just another example of how far behind RIM is though, there is already a ton of cool SIP stuff for the iPhone.
    That iphone is that far ahead of the storm? I want a picture. MMS me a photo of it doing all these highly advanced features please.

Oops. You will have to have a cell phone that can do that. The iphone can't. How embarrassing.

06-12-09 03:17 PM
145 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD